2 Basking Rootwalla

//SB// (thrown together quickly)
3 Krosan Grip
3 Threads
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Jitte
4 Chalice of the Void

If you land pretty much any guy, you are likely to be in a good position with standstill, as against any deck but landstill. Goyfs will bounce/kill anything, mongrel will eat anything, rootwalla trades will all but goyf, and looter will find you more manlands and wastes than your opponent can deal with, all while gaining you supreme CQ.

Otherwise, the deck plays much like old-school fish, with 7 mana denial slots (im including stifle, as if you're not playing against combo you're likely playing against non-basics) 7 counters, beats in goyf and mongrel, and the ability to win with a discarded wonder out of left field.

Flying ninjas win games, possibly drawing a concession faster than an un-morphed exalted.

The 'Why play this deck over thresh' mandatory response:
This deck boasts a more robust mana-denial strategy, more ways to win in a standoff, ACTUAL CA, and more CQ than thresh. Ninja is fucking tits. Jitte wins games that thresh can't win, like a 4 mana bolt that keeps on giving. Looter is one of my favorite newly printed creatures EDIT: my favorite creatures ever printed, and can win games by the CQ he gives, as well as having moderate synergy with rootwalla/wonder. Jitte sticking on a looter is usually scoops. A better combo MU pre-boards (depending on if thresh is running MB counter-top, and how fast they can assemble it)

Matchup analysis: this isn't my CaNGD submission, so I'm going to be lazy and do this (including testing) if/when there is any interest in the deck.

Strengths: Nuetral thresh matchup game 1. (you have jitte/standstill, they have standstill, whichever resolves first most likely wins.) Positive goblins matchup G1. Nuetral-Positive combo matchup. (I'd say belcher is poor-nuetral, Tes is nuetral, and Igg/Solidarity is nuetral-positive.) Rogue, so many people might just mistake you for a UG thresh deck with Mongrel MB, that is until they have flying goyf/ninja whizzing over their head. Wonder > many decks in legacy. Jitte> many decks in legacy.

Weaknesses: It's very difficult for the deck to beat landstill, as landstill is just better suited to win in the late game. Ninjastill can get there, but it needs an aggro hand, preferably one that involves a resolved jitte somehow swinging on a resolved creature/conclave turn three/four. 3 Basics is rough, but the saving grace is that the deck only runs two colors, and has a lot of ways to find more mana, or just plain draw enough CA to fight through non-basic hate.

Sanguine Voyeur
01-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Ęther Vial can allow you to play around your own Standstills.

Why the madness aspect? The creature base feels a little weak.

Media314r8
01-31-2008, 03:48 PM
barring something terrible like shrieking drake, (accompanied by ornathopter and ninja) wonder is the best way to break ninja, as well as ensure that ninja and mongrel 'get there.' If an opponent decides to break standstill on his turn, It is very probable that if I have goyf and mongrel allready on board, I will be able to pitch my hand and swing in the air with very large 1G guys and possibly a man-land FTW.

Also, see uncounterable, flying 2/2s that ophidan winning games

EDIT: @ aether vials: chrome/daimond mox allow for turn 1 goyf/looters, but this just isnt the deck for it. The choice really comes down to dropping four cards to slow the deck and ensure my guys resolve. What would I cut? (most would say looters and rootwalla) but then I'm sacrificing consistancy and CA/CQ for card disadvantage, and a potential way to abuse standstill. (which I feel the deck does as is) vial is also a dead-draw late-game and easily hated on if it were the only way to abuse standstill. I love vial, and I love vial in golbins and fish, but I dont think vial fits here

baghdadbob
06-13-2013, 03:28 AM
I've been rocking this deck for almost a week now and have had pretty good results with it.
4 Delver of Secrets
3 Vapor Snag
4 Cloud of Faeries
2 Ninja of the Deep Hours
2 Mistblade Shinobi
4 Snap
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Brainstorm
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Standstill
8 Island
4 Wasteland
3 Misty Rainforest
2 Flooded Strand
4 Spellstutter Sprite
3 Mutavault
SB: 4 Surgical Extraction
SB: 2 Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 4 Curfew
SB: 2 Echoing Truth
SB: 3 Gut Shot

What do you guys think about my list? It can do some insane stuff with cloud of faeries/snap shenanigans. Faeries plus mutavault makes spellstutter just that much better. Doing stuff like bouncing with snap, cloud of faeries, standstill, with a mutavault out is pretty baller. The only deck i've had real problems with is thresh, but i mean... that's thresh right? I know the deck runs 62 cards but that really has never been a problem for me. In my opinion the deck is already pretty good, but i'm still looking for some feedback.