PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] GW Confinement aggro

DeepfriedDynamite
02-03-2008, 09:43 AM
http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/JUD/en-us/Card34769.jpghttp://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/JUD/en-us/Card34833.jpghttp://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/FUT/en-us/Card136142.jpg

I started this deck when i realized how ridiculously strong genesis is. Recurring fatties that are large and synergetic gives the deck a great late game while still running cheap, undercosted beaters for the early game. Also i realized that genesis and solitary confinement is a lock in itself so i threw this basic skeleton together and was seriously impressed.

Creatures:
4 Skyshroud elite
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Isamaru
4 Watchwolf
2 Loxodon Hierarch
4 Genesis
2 eternal witness
2 Werebear

Spells:
3 Solitary confinement
4 Swords to plowshares
3 rancor
4 Mask of memory

Land:
4 Savannah
4 Windswept heath
3 Wooded foothills
2 Flooded strand
5 forest
3 plains

For a sideboard im not entirely sure. I know i want something for combo and something to help against landstill. Gaddock teeg kinda helps there so i was thinking of running him. I can also recur him from the yard which realy helps. here is the sideboard i was thinking of running:

4 Gaddock teeg
4 Leyline of the void
3 Choke
1 solitary confinement
2 Eternal witness
1 Loxodon hierarch

This deck has a few funky card choices so ill start by explaining them.

Loxodon Hierarch: Big fattie that can gain you life. Expensive so i only run 2

Tarmogoyf: yes its an auto include in GX aggro but its so much more here. This deck runs 6 different card types so tarmogoyf gets big fast and mask of memory lets you choose which kind you want to put in the yard. Its great with rancor and recurrable 5/6 or 6/7's with genesis is crazy.

isamaru/skyshroud elite: The decks early drops. Gives the deck a reasonable early game.

Watchwolf: Another undercosted beater. Realy good with rancor

Eternal witness: recurs STP, dead creatures, and confinement if it gets destroyed.

Rancor: Makes your creatures bigger then the opponents. Also is pretty nifty with confinement. Put it on a creature and start attacking. If they dont block, then they lose. If they do block and the creature dies, then it just helps to fuel confinement.

Mask of memory: Actually realy strong in here. It is great with confinement and it gives the deck much needed draw. You can discard certain cards to pump tarmogoyf and it puts genesis in the yard.

MU's:
Goblins: The 1cc beaters here are realy important. They munch on lackey and swap for most of the stuff in their deck. Tarmogoyf is good here as always. To finish them off you want to get a confinement out and have a rancor on a big creature like tarmogoyf. Even if you cant recur creatures with genesis, confinement buys enough time for the rancored creature to win.

Thresh: Rancor is pretty great here, as it makes your tarmogoyfs superior to theirs. If you can get a confinement to stick then it is usually game over, they almost always dont run a maindeck way to get rid of the card. Just recur creatures until you can get something big and swing for the win.

Dragon stompy: Solitary confinement is godly here. They have no way of getting rid of it maindeck and im pretty sure they have no way of getting rid of it sideboard. You run basics so fetch for a forest and recur genesis with solitary confinement. If you can then just try to out muscle them with goyf and stall with recurrable chumpers.

landstill: Relying on confinement isnt the smartest here as they have maindeck ways of getting rid of it. Try to just play out a few beaters and get a mask of memory out and if they sweep the board then you will be able to refill your pretty quickly. Genesis is D SHIZNIT. If they sweep you then you can always recover so there going to want to get rid of it.

Cephalid breakfast: If you can get a confinement out before they kill you or they take the goyf routew then your safe. STP is pretty good here as it will help you get to the third mana to drop it. Its still pretty hard though, as they run counters so nothing is guarenteed. Bring in the leylines and it becomes alot easier.

zulander
02-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Questions on your deck/sideboard:

1. No Krosan Grip?

2. Leyline with no black sources? Wtf? Crypt is the best option here.

3. If you play mask of memory to draw cards then SoFI is better. Have you tested out jitte as well?

4. Has 4x genesis ever been a problem? It seems like 2/3 would do fine to get you rolling into the late game.

technogeek5000
02-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I can see the reasoning behind running Lotv in a off color deck. I once played them in Mono Green elves (back when eladamri was good) and i was playing against ichorid. I boarded them in and he didnt bring in any hate because he figured that I wasnt going to run them in a non-black deck. The two big decks that your boarding this against, ichorid and breakfast, will not give you a chance to cast leyline if you happen to draw it after your opening hand, so I guess it realy doesnt matter if you run it in black decks or not. I could be wrong here tho.

I would probably add 1 more land... recurring creatures with genesis seems kind of hard when your average land count is 3/4. You will probably often have to recur it, then wait a turn to play the creature which seems pretty weak

Good luck with the deck.

Also:

Tarmogoyf: yes its an auto include in GX aggro but its so much more here. This deck runs 6 different card types so tarmogoyf gets big fast and mask of memory lets you choose which kind you want to put in the yard. Its great with rancor and recurrable 5/6 or 6/7's with genesis is crazy.

I count five: Creature, land, artifact, instant, enchantment. There are no sorceries in that list.

xsockmonkeyx
02-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Questions on your deck/sideboard: 3. If you play mask of memory to draw cards then SoFI is better. Have you tested out jitte as well?

Actually, if he was playing equipment for card draw then Mask might be a better choice. Draw 2 discard 1 > draw a card. Also discarding Genesis or feeding stuff to Goyf is probably helpful.

Jaynel
02-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Actually, if he was playing equipment for card draw then Mask might be better a better choice. Draw 2 discard 1 > draw a card. Also discarding Genesis or feeding stuff to Goyf is probably helpful.

In addition to being a turn 3 play instead of a turn 5 play.

DeepfriedDynamite
02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
@Zulander: Im gonna have to say no to everything but the grips. Mask is ridiculous in this list and SoFI is 2 turns slower and lets you look at less cards. 4 Genesis is great as i always want to see one every game. And techno is kinda right, leylines are still decent in Non black decks. Ill try out grips in the board and see where it leads to.

@Techno: Ill try another land. Just not sure what to take out.

Nydaeli
02-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Have you tried Life from the Loam? There was a pretty successful deck based around Loam + Confinement about a year ago, before Goyf was printed.

Alternatively, Survival/Squee might be another good engine to feed Confinement, not to mention tutor up Genesis and alleviate the problems with running it as a 4-of.

WiLdFiRe
02-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Wild Mongrel? Solid beater and pitches Genesis.

Willoe
02-04-2008, 11:23 AM
I think that you should splash blue for Intuition. That is a pretty strong engine, I hear.

DeepfriedDynamite
02-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Nyadeili: This deck cant realy intereact with loam, i tried it briefly as extra confinement food but it never realy worked and genesis was just much more synergistic with the deck.
Wildfire: Mongrel seems interesting. ill test him
Willoe: Intuition would make for some interesting piles. 2 genesis and a creature. But it seems a little slow and there isnt that much room for it in the list