PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Wb Control

pingveno
02-05-2008, 03:20 PM
So i recently played this deck at a local card shop with a field of 16 and split the first prize, going 4-1 in preliminaries and 2-0-1 in the playoffs. It has a fairly strong match up against MANY decks in legacy right now and i would like to see what people think about it. Here's the current decklist and some matchups.

Land:
3 Temple of the False God
4 Flooded Strand
3 Scrubland
15 Plains

Creatures:
4 Eternal Dragon
3 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
4 Razor Golem

Spells:
4 Vindicate
4 Wrath of God
3 Akroma's Vengeance
4 Duress
3 Pulse of the Fields
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Orim's Chant

Sideboard:
4 Jotun Grunt
4 Extirpate
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Orim's Chant
1 Pulse of the Fields

Card Explanations:

Akroma and Eternal Dragon: are the obvious win conditions. They get the job done. Akroma is nigh unkillable and the Dragon helps smooth mana. He is the MVP of the deck.

Razor Golem: another unsung hero, he provides a solid midrange beater that has the benefit of going down for free after a Vengeance.

Vindicate: main reason for the black splash. leaps and bounds better than most enchantment/artifact removal.

Wrath of God: just plain good

Akroma's Vengeance: sometimes killing every creature just isnt good enough. also cycles to avoid being a dead card. hardly ever disappointed to draw it.

Pulse of the Fields: Best life gain card ever, plays well against anything that wants to deal alot of damage fast, and also some combe. (Tendrils of Agony)

Swords to Plowshares: See wrath of god

Sideboard:

Jotun Grunt: Bring them in against threshold and anything graveyard reliant.

Extirpate: Control killer, it sucks to have all of someones Force of Will's RFGed. Also very good after a goyf has been wrathed.

Chalice of the Void: Combo killer, Threshold killer, etc, etc

Orim's Chant: Good against some combo, and counterspells.

Matchup Analysis: im going to give every matchup that ive faced in my meta

UGr Threshold- Favorable
One of the very good decks out there and for my money Wb control eats it alive. They have too few threats to beat your removal. Also a resolved akroma/dragon nearly always wins.

Angel Stompy- Favorable
The biggest weapon they have is armageddon/cataclysm, which if resolved makes the game tougher. However, your removal is usually too much to race.

Mono Red Burn- Favorable
Flashfires kills post board. If they get that it makes things more difficult, but pulse of the fields really shines here. Puts the game out of reach for them.

2 Land Belcher- not favorable
Before adding duress this was an auto lose, but if you go first there is a good chance of winning. Duressing and extirpating belcher helps. Still not the best matchup, but much better than when there was no duress or Orim's chant main deck.

The Rock- favorable
The disruption hurts (duress, thoughtsieze) but you have too much removal to have it all discarded. Recurring Dragon wins.

Goblins- favorable
Swords lackey first turn, sit 2nd turn, Pulse third turn, wrath 4th turn, and then win some arbitrary turn thereafter.

IGGy Pop- unfavorable
Combo again, however post board changes everything. If they try to Ill Gotten Gains with no Leyline off the Void in play then you get Chant, and Extirpate back. Thanks very much. Also Chalice helps tremendously. 50/50 post board.

Some new additions are the Chalice of the Void and Duress which are there to fix the combo match ups. I think that this is very viable deck in todays metagame. Given that it has better than average matchups against both Threshold and Goblins and can coin flip against most combo. Any thoughts?

Media314r8
02-05-2008, 03:34 PM
your combo match up seems absolutely abysmal. Have you considered changing the temples of flase god to ancient tombs? It has synergy with Pulse (kind-of) and isn't dead in your hand for most of the game. Can allow for turn three WoG against EtW tokens, which would help you immensly, as TES usually goes for tokens turn 1-2 if they can, and being able to wrath them out and then pulse out of small-storm tendrils range could help. This would also allow you to run chalice in your SB, as your curve is much higher than the average deck, and you could board out 1CMC spells like tithe and Swords (mostly irrel vs combo) to keep them off most all their mana producers with chalice at 0 and 1. I like the idea of control, but it def needs tuning. Perhaps replace extirpate with chalcie to give you better game vs combo, as 'pate in your deck is really a win-more. You might just beat loam decks without it as you have pulse and big flyers. Killing loam and such annoyances is the main reason to run 'pate, and I don't see those decks as so much a problem as ensuring that you can win games 2 and 3 vs combo.

EDIT: congrats on your win. (sorry, Im an asshole and was too quick to offer improvements)

freakish777
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
4 Wrath of God
4 Wrath of God
3 Akroma's Vengeance
4 Wing Shards
4 Pulse of the Fields
4 Swords to Plowshares

This seems a little high on the creature kill. Duress/Thoughtseize or more threats would probably be better than the Wing Shards or Pulses.

I can't say I'm necessarily a fan of Vengeance either if you aren't triggering Lightning Rift off of it.

raharu
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I would sugest cutting down on the number of Pules of the Fields you run, considering that you only need one for it to be effective. Confidant + Sensei's Divining Top seems out of place here, but you need some form of draw, so I would sugest Phyrexian Arena (and maybe Top as well, considering the raw power of the deck). Maybe a stronger splash is in order? Visara the Dreadful could be a good addition, adding to the board control. How is your Affinity match? Considering that you don't have much in the way of speed, maybe some number of Serenity could help if that's a prevlent match. Thoughtseize pulls problems before they reslove, so maybe you could run a playset of those (they work well with Pulse of the Fields)? Hypnotic Specter is good if you want a disruptive beater. In all verity, I wouldn't add it, but I really would find a replacement for Razor Golem before bothering to play the deck. Some number of Jotun Grunts in it's place? Maybe Tombstalker?

Nice deck overall, these are just things that come to mind.

pingveno
02-05-2008, 04:03 PM
the mass amount of removal is a meta game call, as there is a huge amount of aggro. otherwise i would most likely take out wing shards. and as for akroma's vengeance it is my pernicious deed, you are usually able to cast it 5th turn, and combined with your ability to stall any creature attack it wrecks affinity. the combo match up is pretty bad, and maybe ancient tomb into chalice for 1 is worth looking into. also, what about duress? any thoughts?

raharu
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I would run Thoughtseize over Duress, considering the rucuring life gain. I understand the agro-metagame thing (my meta consists entirely of random jank). Perhaps Nyrval's Disk would be better than Vengance? Play it, then crack it with 4 mana left to spare. Visara would be great for the metagame you discribed. Possibly worse than Avatar of Woe, but they would both be strong options.

Shtriga
02-05-2008, 04:32 PM
disk is good but has some severe disadvantages (a friend plays them in a mono red control/burn deck as he has really no choice inside red). it comes into play tapped, giving the opponent 1 turn to deal with it. it can be needled, it can be stifled (although it only buys them 1 turn), and it can be krosan gripped. and not that it matters much, but it can be CBalanced out with a m.enforcer

disk is one of my personal favs for nostalgia reasons, but akroma's vengeance sounds better in here

splashing for BBB is a reeeeally bad idea, and for visara no less? but thoughtseize would be a very good addition, and the challices of the void too

raharu
02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Or Avatar of Woe. It's actually better than Visara, and in your agro-ridden metagame, it's pure board control.