PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Breathstealer

AceofAllan
02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
So this is my second deck idea that I've posted on here, and like the last one, the name doesn't have anything to do with the cards in it. I told you I'm terrible at naming decks.

Actually, this deck started off using Breathstealer's crypt, Overburden, Warped Devotion, Megrim, and the veiled cards from Urza's because I played against a friend who loved creature type decks. It seemed to work really well, but was too limited in what it could do.

I guess I've tried to go for a disruption/control deck, and I'd like to know what you guys think that it's missing.

Lands (20):

4 Underground Sea
4 Underground River
4 Polluted Delta
5 Island
3 Swamp

Spells (28):

4 Counterspell
2 Undermine
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Megrim
4 Warped Devotion
3 Seal of Removal
3 Unholy Strength

Creatures (12):

4 Man-o-War
4 Cephalid Constable
4 Hypnotic Specter

Basic plan with this deck is to kill them with discard. Warped Devotion turns the Cephalid Constable and Man-o-War into discard causing creatures. Use the Unholy Strength's on the Constable to return more permanents, and the Seals of Removal to clear his path to the opponent. Multiple Devotions stack, so your opponent will typically have nothing in hand. (Would Avatar of Will be a good thing to add because of that?) Hymn and Duress seemed to be obvious additions, as well as Counterspell and Undermine. If Megrim isn't in play, you can still control the opponent very well with the disruption in the deck and blasting him with little creatures.

Very early concept... what can I add? I know it needs some work, so don't be afraid to tell me 15+ cards probably need to change.

Cavius The Great
02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Judging from the name I figured this was some cool Spirit of the night combo deck. I also have tried to abuse Cephalid Constable but I think your best bet is the stay mono blue and just use Equipment to beef him up.

Arsenal
02-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd try to add Recoil somewhere in there, perhaps in place of Seal of Removal.

I'd use equipment over Unholy Strength, and maybe take out Hypnotic Specters (no way to Ritual them out turn 1) and put in Dark Confidants in their place; most spells are 3cc or less and you NEED a way to find your combo pieces ASAP.

EDIT: Read #5, might give you an idea of what sort of shell this could go into. Obviously, this would have to be re-worked for Legacy, but perhaps this'll give you ideas?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mf184

raharu
02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Cephelid Constable needs Zephid's Embrace. It makes it pretty much a board-controling beast, and after the engine gets cranking, you land-lock then and have plenty of discard-fodder. In all actuality, you could focus on that and drop the mass discard, which would allow you to run more blue (and hence, Force of Will). Hipnotic Specter could be replaced with Morroi (for more dammage) or Blizzard Specter (as a compliment to Constable).

Just off the top of my head.

xsockmonkeyx
02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Cards that might work are Oona's Prowler, Rushing River, Venser, Stern Proctor, Shriekmaw, Control Magic, Vedalken Shackles and Thoughtsieze.

Counterbalance + a bunch of bounce would be pretty mean too.

Isamaru
02-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Zephid's Embrace sounds good, but in that vein, Sleeper's Robe (my favorite) sounds "better" as far as evasion goes.

But try the equipment route... otherwise it seems too slow.

I'd start with this base:

3 Riptide Lab
4 Sage of Epityr
4 Dark Confidant
4 Augur of Skulls
4 Yixlid Jailer
4 Cephalid Constable
4 Sleeper's Robe

insertnamehere
02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I guess I've tried to go for a disruption/control deck, and I'd like to know what you guys think that it's missing.

Duress
Thoughtseize
Cabal Therapy
Leyline of the Void
Glimpse the Unthinkable ( I know it does not work in synergy with Warped Devotion, but it works nice coming in from the sideboard with Leyline of the Void)
Extirpate

Thehunter820
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
The idea isnt bad my friend used to run a deck based around cephalid constable as the win condition, it was something like this...

Land:
Volcanic Island x4
Island x7
Mountain x5
Flooded Strand x4

Removal/Kill:
Lightning Bolt x4
Incinerate x4
Magma Jet

Counter:
Counterspell x4
Force of Will x4
Daze x2
Counterbalance x3

Other Spells:
Sensei's Divining Top x3
Isochron Sceptre x4

Kill:
Cephalid Constable x4
Zephid's Embrace x3
Ghostly Wings x3

Now I tweaked it a bit and added in the cards we talked about him adding in and such, and its been awhile so I've forgotten a few cards, but basically you just counter all the big threats, then put a counter spell on the scepter, and burns work well on them too, then after that you just drop a constable and 1 or 2 ghostly wings on it works will then just a zephids embrace, start returning their lands, and if they try to STP it or something like that just use ghostly wings' effect to return it back to your hand, and replay the next turn after :)