PDA

View Full Version : [deck] Budget MBC

DalkonCledwin
02-11-2008, 05:15 AM
I am on a really tight budget and can't afford power cards like Extirpate, Thoughtseize, and Pithing Needle, as it is I am going to be lucky if I can actually afford to build this deck in the next couple of months. However I thought I would get advice on fixing the deck to make it as good as it can be for as little money as possible. The Deck List is as follows:

As of 02/11/2008
// Lands
4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
16 Swamp (1)
(please note I want to get wasteland's for this deck instead of Mishra's Factory eventually but can't afford them at the current time)

// Creatures
4 [U] Hypnotic Specter
4 [FE] Order of the Ebon Hand (1)
4 [CS] Stromgald Crusader
4 [EX] Carnophage

// Spells
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 [TSB] Bad Moon
3 [TE] Sarcomancy
4 [IA] Dark Ritual
4 [MM] Unmask
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (1)
4 [US] Duress

[B]// Sideboard
SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
(I am going to have to purchase Leyline of the Void 2 at a time)
SB: 4 [UL] Engineered Plague
SB: 4 [ON] Smother
SB: 3 [OD] Ghastly Demise

[U]As of 02/10/2008
// Lands
4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
17 [US] Swamp (1)

// Creatures
2 [PLC] Mirri the Cursed
4 [U] Hypnotic Specter
4 [UD] Phyrexian Negator
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant (I can only afford these if I buy them 1 or 2 at a time)

// Spells
2 Umezawa's Jitte
3 [UD] Powder Keg
2 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
4 [ON] Smother
4 [IA] Dark Ritual
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (1)
4 [US] Duress
2 [TE] Reanimate

[B]// Sideboard
SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
SB: 3 [JU] Cabal Therapy
SB: 3 [OD] Ghastly Demise

with 5 empty slots in the sideboard that I am not sure what to do with. So please help me out with this deck list...... I am also debating on whether Cabal Therapy should be main decked or sideboarded over Hymn to Tourach?

Match-Ups will come soon.....

Shtriga
02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
4 unlimited hippies are hardly budget :) unless you already have them which I assume you do.

you could always have a look at the suicide black thread since this deck quite resembles some lists you can find there, and they have been tested (although the thread is a couple weeks/months old, since tarmogoyf made the mono-black variant kinda redundant and evolved into the b/g Eva Green)

TheInfamousBearAssassin
02-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Do you want aggro or control? Due to the cost of cards like Thoughtseize, etc., control might be a better option for you. Damnations are expensive, of course, but Mutilate or Barter in Blood or Nev's Disk/O-Stone would be a passable budget replacement. But you'd have to decide which way you want to go.

Also, this forum is for decks that are more or less finished and are tournament respectable. A deck still in formation belongs in (dun dun dun) the developmental forum.

As an example, if you want a budget MBC build, the following could be built for about 50-60 bucks, or so the internet tells me;

22x Swamp
4x Cabal Coffers

2x Consume Spirit
3x Helldozer
2x Haunting Echoes

4x Chainer's Edict
3x Smother
3x Oblivion Stone
3x Mutilate
3x Decree of Pain

4x Duress
4x Hymn to Tourach

3x Staff of Domination

Bando
06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
If BearAssassin can take a shot in the dark, then I should be entitled to several :tongue: , but I think it's safe to say he's going for quite the aggro approach.

Personally, I never really jived too well with mono black aggro, let alone with a "budget" MBA deck. It depends what you want it for/do with it. Are you just playing your friends, or do you want something for local tourney play? Either way, I'd DEFINATLY suggest kicking hippie out for just about anything 3cc and under that doesn't have a power of 2, Nantuko Shade is excused of course, Negator and me never got along for the 5 long years we knew each other, but if those critters are workin for you in whatever enviroment you play in, then HECK! What do I know?

Now if your in the neighborhood for a "budget" MBC build, give me a call :laugh:

And BearAssassin... COFFERS? MUTILATE of all things? That darn STAFF? THE?

rleader
06-23-2008, 05:35 AM
Personally, I never really jived too well with mono black aggro, let alone with a "budget" MBA deck.

I'm not sure the opening poster is aware s/he posted an aggro deck; it's called MBC...

Honestly, I think the $30 pox list people post is a better deck than this (in the grand scheme of the metagame), and at least you're not paying for stuff like Unmask which is middling pricey and only situationally good.

If your plan is to piss away your own cards, at least follow up with Tombstalker. And if you're not using him, no reason to spend money on Leyline of the Void when you can get away with the Planar Void. (ghastly demise kind of sucks; black threshold plays it so it gets hype, mono black decks have all kinds of options when it comes to removal)

Powderkeg imo is a necessary 3-4x main: best and only response to game 1 vs ichorid and tes/belcher. For that reason, I like your more controllish 2/10 list better.

This is probably the least expensive deck that I'd feel confident with (can make some substitutions in it to bring the cost down a bit more, though):

22 Swamp
2 Mishra's Factory
4 Dark Ritual

4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
2 Innocent Blood
4 Pox
4 Smallpox
4 Powderkeg
2 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Tombstalker
4 The Rack
2 Nether Spirit

sb

4 Leyline of the Void
4 Trinisphere
4 Infest
3 Dystopia

Bando
06-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Ah, rleader, I gotta try a pox list sometime, especially that one.

For anyone still with an eye on this, or if the OP (Cathal83) still cares, I'v been tinkering with a list recently that takes inspiration from an old friend's idea, and a random B/W control deck I ran into a few times while messing with, you guessed it, random people using Apprentice and MWS. Though I feel like it should be posted on an MBC thread under "Established Decks". Well here goes anyway, the following is just the basic "frame work" of the deck though, and I managed to end up with 2 Open slots, which has given me a teeny tiny bit of flexibility. Also, I'v been testing this build a bit in the real cardboard against a few mono white aggro builds, and Threshold, since that is all most of the testing, I still consider it just an Idea I had on the can.

Budget MBC - Take 1

Land
20 Swamp (Swamp)

Creatures
2 Tombstalker (Should probably be 3)

Artifacts That Act Like Creatures But They Aren't
4 Chimeric Idol
2 Phyrexian Totem
2 Jade Statue (I know what your thinking, "LOL")

Spells
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Distress
4 Night's Whisper (Yea, I know, it's not cool to whisper)
4 Innocent Blood
4 Barter in Blood (BUDGET! Remember! Budget!)
2 Chainer's/Diabolic Edict
2 Powder keg

Open Slots
2 Open (I personally have been messing with another Edict/Keg and 1 or more
Skeletal Scrying, which hasn't hurt the Stalker much.)

Sideboard (I'll include both intended cards, and alternatives)
1-2 Open Slots (LOL OPEN!)
2 Powder Keg
4 Pithing Needle/Null Rod/Possibly O Stone or Disk if your REALLY strapped.
4-3 Dystopia
4 Leyline of the Void/Tormod's Crypt/Faerie Macabre/Ebony Charm

And there you have it, of course Damnation would be better off in B in B's place, but I'm tryin to be cheap, I mean, the sideboard is worth more then the main, which, by the way, should be around 50-60 clams for just the main Board. I'd Write up the decks focus and such, but it's pretty darn self explanatory, or I'm being lazy :tongue: So for those 2 or 3 still watching this thread, HOLLA back!

rleader
06-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Bando, there was a sort of cool near-budget (except for a bunch of cursed scrolls) deck posted a while back:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9644

Spells
4 Innocent Blood
4 Duress
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 The Rack
4 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Cursed Scroll
4 Bottomless Pit
3 Noetic Scales
2 Necrogen Mists
2 Snuff Out
2 Damnation
2 Thoughtseize

Lands
17 Swamp
2 Urborg
3 Blinkmoth Nexus

Clearly needs work and is currently overbudget, but symmetrical discard + ensnaring bridge seems like a solid strategy, especially in a combo meta.