2 Smother<

SB
4 Engineered Plague
2 Jixlid Jailer<
3 Pithing Neddle
2 Smother<
2 Extirpate<
2 Withered Wretch

....The deck looks like a Deadguy's Ale deck but it isn't quite as there are no Duress, and Land Destruction (besides Vindicate). The plan used to be in the Deadguy's category but I have made it my own by going with my gut over the net decker's word of "go with goyf, stick with the club. Don't even try try anything new." With my gut I have been able to win a few games with the Korlashs in the board. Earlier before FS and Lorwyn, when I was still tinkering with the tech I figured that Sword of F/I was way better than Jitte when everyone was like "oh go with Jitte it's better than,that Sword. Who plays with Sword anymore anyway?"

Then just recently I have noticed that lots of places are in selling the Sword of F/I at $15 or more USD after finally realizing that it is a really good card that gives the player more cards. I don't know what just happened but I assume that the rest of the masses finally caught onto the minority's idea of how good the card actually is in the long run over Jitte.

Anyway, I later learn of Korlash and what goodies you could do with the card in under powered formats. Once the results came back on how good it was I then picked up a few copies for myself to see if it would fair nice in Legacy. Although I am yet to see how it will fair against the major field as it was only tested against a Red Sligh deck and a Mono Black Aggro deck which isn't that large, as I know it might just have that edge against Combo and most Control decks. Can't say the same against Aggro as I haven't tested against a lot of the meta as most of my Legacy crowd is in Berkeley CA or is extremely small here over other places where there must be 20 or more people to test a lot of decks ($7 worth of Travel just to travel from SF to Berkeley).

I'd like to hear from you people other than "oh it looks like a Deadguy's deck".

UPDATE:

13 Swamp
4 Blood Stained Mire
4 Scrubland
1 Volrath's Stronghold

4 Korlash
4 Hippie
4 Nantuko Shade

4 Hymn
4 Dark Ritual
4 Vindicate
2 Unmake
2 Duress
2 Cashseize
2 Damnation
3 Extirpate
3 Infernal Tutor

SB
4 Pithing Needle
4 Relic of P.
4 Engineered Plague
2 Duress
1 Unmake

Banelich
02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Interesting....

I've been playing a deck with Korlash & Nantuko's for about 2 months, and was coming here to post it. I supose I'll just add it to your thread and save ppl time, no offense. Korlash was pretty much a joke when orginally added, and as it turned out....became a win con more often than not, or at least fed Tuko.

Anyways 1st off comments on your deck....

1)...Not familiar with Cali's local slang, is "Cashseize" slang for Thoughtseize?

2)...Snow-Covered Swamps? Just bored or were Scrying Sheets orginally a consideration?

3)...8 Fetchlands vs 4 duals? you know Korlash can fetch non-basic swamps right ? Is the excess fetching for deckthining ? It would almost make sense with Cruc or Loam.

Anyways, all and all the MD looks pretty solid (I think, IDK about the "Cashseize") and the SB is pretty sexy.

This is the most recent version of the Korlash Tuko Jank I've been playing.

The Land
2 Volrath's Stronghold
3 Wasteland
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Bayou
3 Scrubland
4 Polluted Delta
1 Windswept Heath
4 Swamp

The Creatures
4 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
4 Darkheart Sliver
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Nantuko Shade
4 Dark Confidant

Other Crap
2 Thoughtseize
3 Duress
2 Extirpate
2 Damnation
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Krosan Grip
2 Pernicious Deed

Sideboard
2 Extirpate
3 Ostracize
3 Reanimate
3 Gloom
2 Life from the Loam
1 Krosan Grip
1 Pernicious Deed

Yes I get comments about "oh your playing Deadguy" too, (depending on what they see hit the board) can't imagine why.

Aside from that I'm not going to say that either version is better, I'm alot more likely to get myself killed from my own DC's than you obviously. The different paths these 2 decks have taken are both pretty interesting, the only actual "suggestion" I have for your deck is replace 2 fetchlands with Volraths Strongholds. Recursion on Korlash is just stupid, pulling back Tuko's and DC's and Darkhearts in my case, just bumps up your threat ratio like mad, and keeps them on the run.

Ostracize, Reanimate & Gloom might seem a little odd for sb, but it suits the local meta well, swap duress for Ostracize vs some aggo + goblins, slivers, and reanimate vs some of the same, vial slivers. Gloom will probably leave soon, seeing less smokestacks and random UW & GW jank lately.

mercenarybdu
02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Interesting....

I've been playing a deck with Korlash & Nantuko's for about 2 months, and was coming here to post it. I supose I'll just add it to your thread and save ppl time, no offense. Korlash was pretty much a joke when orginally added, and as it turned out....became a win con more often than not, or at least fed Tuko.

Anyways 1st off comments on your deck....

1)...Not familiar with Cali's local slang, is "Cashseize" slang for Thoughtseize?

2)...Snow-Covered Swamps? Just bored or were Scrying Sheets orginally a consideration?

3)...8 Fetchlands vs 4 duals? you know Korlash can fetch non-basic swamps right ? Is the excess fetching for deckthining ? It would almost make sense with Cruc or Loam.

Anyways, all and all the MD looks pretty solid (I think, IDK about the "Cashseize") and the SB is pretty sexy.....

1. Cashseize was a term given to the card Thoughtseize when the rarity was confirmed by Evan Erwin on the MTG Show so the people who knew of the card before hand started calling the card that as it was considered an economical decision made by Wizards to make it a chase rare.

2. I slipped in Snow Lands as they were much cooler looking than the regular swamps. They have been the norm since I have been trying to find some of those old Ice Age Ones so with the reprinting of those Lands in Coldsnap I was given access to them once more. (Roland had snow lands in his madness deck too as well as some other players)

3. I run 8 Fetchlands that way I could trim down a lot of clutter in my deck really quickly rather than walking into a lot of dead draws with lands. The Korlash is obvious when it comes to trimming down the deck, but then I always keep them on hand in the event my opponent catches onto what I am thinking. Loam doesn't solve my problems here as it would be more or less a dead set of cards.

4. I don't need to color fix a lot so less Dual Lands to deal with when it comes down to putting the deck together. As I have found it more effective to run a Splash plan rather than try to go for a multi-colored plan that didn't tend to work out most of the time as Wasteland would just stunt development a lot.

Other than those pointers to why it was built that way I'll now take the time to comment on your plan.....

-Decrease the number of Plows
-Decrease the amount of Reanimation effects
-Bring in Vindicates
-Life from the Loam doesn't tend to fit in so you could cut those and add in a few other cards in it's place with the Glooms

....Hmmm...... I could bring in Strongholds as an option but at this present state in the Economy I'll have to wait a little as I am also working on my version of Dragon Stompy. Then I also have to reconsider that too as the Meta I'm always up against now and then loves to throw Wastelands at everyone's faces.

I never get killed by my own Confidants as I always use every card to my advantage leaving no dead cards in any state of the game.

Can't say this is the most unbeatable deck as there will always be something to wipe it out like every other deck type in the format until someone figures a way to break the format once again with a busted combo or utility deck.