PDA

View Full Version : UG Thresh-nought

Davidson71
02-14-2008, 11:49 AM

Bovinious
02-14-2008, 11:57 AM
4 Tarmogoyf is probably a must, and Voidslime is just awful, so Id say +1 Goyf -1 Slime. Also, I would put CounterTop in the Sb and go with 2 more Ponders and 3 Dazes MD, with CounterTop MD the deck seems like it wants to do too much at once (CounterTop, Stifle-Nought, play Thresh creatures...).

thefreakaccident
02-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Since I invented this deck (about 4 months ago...).

I will say this simply, you are going into too many directions.

You have a mana-denial plan and a counterbalance theme going on at the same time. (CB requires mana, mana denail slows down both player's mana production)... If you are really interested in playing with goyf, play UGB (which IMO is inferior to the UWB splash, which I picked up after the UG splash), I would play this list:

mana//19

3 underground sea
4 tropical island
4 polluted delta
4 chrome mox
1 flooded strand
1 island
1 swamp
1 academy ruins

creatures//15
4 trinket mage
4 tarmogoyf
4 dark confidant
3 phyrexian dreadnought

spells//27
4 force of will
4 daze
3 counterbalance
2 sensei's divining top
4 thoughtseize
4 stifle
4 vision charm
1 engineered explosives

The chrome mox is so that you have the ability to power out those 2cc spells on turn two, not to mention the possible turn 1 dreadnought...

Mongoose was always bad here as the high permanent count made threshold very hard to obtain regularly. Goyf is very good here, as we run plenty of things to make him big and strong. The 3cc slot is low, but you have plenty of great spells to keep their crap off the table.

Hope this helped!

EDIT: also for reference, here is my UWB build:

lands//17
4 flooded strand
1 island
1 plains
1 academy ruins
3 tundra
4 underground sea
3 polluted delta

creatures//15
4 dark confidant
4 epochrisite
4 phyrexian dreadnought
3 meddling mage

spells//27
4 aether vial
4 stifle
3 vision charm
3 enlightened tutor
4 force of will
4 daze
3 duress
3 sword to plowshares

sideboard//
4 tormod's crypt
3 engineered plague
2 pithing needle
2 engineered explosives
4 serenity

It is more well rounded and has a more aggressive approach, while compacting even more disruption and resilience.

Maveric78f
02-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Since I invented this deck (about 4 months ago...).

You, guys are funny.

Davidson71
02-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I have played a UBG Nought build like that before. I liked it but i'm trying to make a deck that is slimple and fun in the format but could also win. My local meta is 50% good players and 50% box of sh*t. Anyways, I was thinking of cutting the thres out the deck and making it more of a counter-nought w/ goyf. U know a little control with Nought as a 12/12 fatty chaser.

I like this responce, please comment on my future decks.

Arsenal
02-14-2008, 12:33 PM
How is this is in the CANGIII thread? Where are the matchup analysis'? Where are the card choice writeups? Where is the thought and history? It's hard for me to comment on just a decklist. What specifically are you trying to strengthen?

Peter_Rotten
02-14-2008, 12:43 PM
CaNG is no longer taking new entries. Moved to N&D.

And stop being silly. We all know that Mike Glow invented this deck.

Maveric78f
02-14-2008, 05:03 PM
One thing I'm sure of: Rico invented White Stax.

Yeah, Rico, you deserve to be worldwide magically known.

Horror Business
02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
This is my build in its billionth version:

5 Island
4 Tropical Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand

4 Phyrexian Dreadnaught
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Trinket Mage

4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
4 Force Of Will
4 Merchant Scroll
4 Ponder
4 Stifle
3 Counterbalance
3 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Portent

SB consists of BEB, Grip, Needle, Crypt, and Threads...needs work.

I am trying for a way to get Naught into play faster by adding the Scrolls for Stifle. So far on MWS I have won my match ups against Dragon Stompy(lol?), Survival, and Burn but got beat by Baseruption just now. I would guess playing against Thresh would yeild comparable results. Playing any Naught deck it just feels like Thresh would just be better since getting Naught into play requires so much work.

thefreakaccident
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
A second turn dreadnought is always what you should be aiming for... that is why I play with the white splash... it gives you a lot more ways of getting 2-3 turn dreadnoughts.

An alternate wincondition is also needed, like goyf or epochrisite...

Test out the Uwb version... I don't think you will be disappointed.