PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Earthworm Stool (Mesmeric Orb + LotV)

SilverGreen
03-02-2008, 12:13 PM
The little Johnny devil over my left shoulder told me that it would be fun to build a deck around Mesmeric Orb and Battlefield Scrounger. The Scrounger didn't stand for long, but the idea remains:

4 Mesmeric Orb
3 Stifle
4 Brainstorm
2 Damnation
3 Thoughtseize
3 Propaganda
2 Intuition
4 Leyline of the Void
1 Krosan Grip
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Life from the Loam
3 Mox Diamond

1 Genesis
3 Eternal Witness
3 Tarmogoyf

4 Polluted Delta
2 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
3 Bayou
4 Tropical Island
2 Swamp
2 Island
1 Forest
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Barren Moor

SB: 1 Krosan Grip
SB: 1 Thoughtseize
SB: 2 Pernicious Deed
SB: 1 Grave-Shell Scarab
SB: 1 Gigapede
SB: 3 Ground Seal
SB: 3 Counterbalance
SB: 3 Sensei's Divining Top

I played this list half a dozen times on MWS against some "player" players and it looks fine (at least, the combo works). It isn't enough, for sure, I need to test it against some real strategies yet, to better realize the deck's weaknesses. But before I can do that, I would like to discuss the list with you in theory. I feel it suffers with so many inconcistencies yet.

There's some card interactions I think are very interesting and worth of note:

Mesmeric Orb + Leyline of the Void
It's the deck's MVP. The combo may come online as soon as turn 1, with a little help from Mox Diamond. And LotV as a MD combo piece is a powerful way to neutralize a possible Thresh or Dread capitalization on Orb.

Mesmeric Orb + Propaganda
Propaganda serves double purpose here: protect you against hordes of small and quick creatures, and maximize Orb's triggers.

Intuition + Gaea's Blessing
Remember a Blessing ocasionally put into your graveyard via Intuition will trigger as normal (it's put directly into graveyard from library during Intuition's resolution).

Genesis + Eternal Witness + Gaea's Blessing
It's a fine (yet mana-intensive) way to prevent yourself from decking. The combination is far more powerful in this deck than the lone Battlefield Scrounger I used to play.

Tarmogoyf + the rest
Well, the deck runs Tarmogoyf, so I has its victory possibilities. :P
Mesmeric Orb feeds Tarmogoyf quickly with a variety of artifacts (moxen and Orb itself), creatures (Witness, Genesis), enchantments (Leyline, Propaganda), instants (Intuition, Brainstorm), sorceries (Thoughtseize, Life from the Loam) and lands. Perhaps we could include some Garruks and Bitterblossons to help a little... ;)

Your thoughts will be much appreciated. =]

ssilver
03-02-2008, 01:41 PM
As I read your decklist, I realized that you do not have a way to get genesis into the graveyard if you intuition for it and 2 others, the genesis will always end up in your hand, where it will be useless. You might think about running a single of Gigapede to get Genesis where he belongs. <updated>: Second, after playing your deck online, I realized that all your propaganda's were useless against a single big fatty, and were bad in the late game, however this could be fixed just by adding wastelands to complement the Lftl engine (which should have more lftl's) Genesis wants to be more than a 1 of, because your only good creatures are goyfs, and the witnesses tend to get milled.

Willoe
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Very Interesting. Has a set of narcomoeba, a dread return and a battlefield scrounger/sutured ghoul with dragon's breath been considered as a kill condition? If not, then you should try it :D

Anyway, is LotV really necessary? Can't you just mill them the regular way? You could extirpate a SB'ed random gaea's blessing in response to its trigger, or does that not work?

Have you tried mesmeric orb as a kill condition in pure control decks? I think it would be good as kill with a singleton blessing. I'll try out some various builds. Other than that, interesting concept!

Adan
03-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Very Interesting. Has a set of narcomoeba, a dread return and a battlefield scrounger/sutured ghoul with dragon's breath been considered as a kill condition? If not, then you should try it :D

Then we should play Basalth Monolith so we have an artifact-based Cephalid Breakfast. Honestly, I thought this deck was supposed to be Mesmeric Gaea's?

kicks_422
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Anyway, is LotV really necessary? Can't you just mill them the regular way? You could extirpate a SB'ed random gaea's blessing in response to its trigger, or does that not work?

Yes. You don't want to lose to a huge Goyf or actually help Ichorid in their plan, do you? And Extirpating a Gaea's Blessing wouldn't work the way you think it would, but Stifle would do the trick.

I've been running into similar decks on MWS, but they had Chalices, Goblin Welders, and Thirst for Knowledge. Have you tried that?

Willoe
03-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Okay, yeah right, I'm busted :D

But your main goal is to win by using Mesmeric Orb, right? Not to say it's a bad kill con, it's just a bit slow IMO. Of you the games you've played, have you ever experienced to get steamrolled by i.e. burn or dragon stompy? Half a dozen of times isn't much so the chances that you've played against those decks are low, but I'd just want to hear if you have any problematic matchups yet.

kicks_422
03-03-2008, 06:30 AM
His deck looks like it would auto-lose to burn, though the CB+Top engine out of the board will surely help. Looks like it would have a hard time against super aggressive decks too.

I'm going to try to remake the Mesmeric Orb lists that I've seen. I also remember that they ran Tangle Wires and Propaganda, to pad the aggro attack. I'm not sure of the numbers, but I'll give it a try, maybe tomorrow.

Jourdelune
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Jace Beleren

Color= Blue Type= Planeswalker - Jace Cost= 1UU LO(R)
Text (LO): Loyalty 3. ; <+2>: Each player draws a card. ; <-1>: Target player draws a card. ; <-10>: Target player puts the top twenty cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

Outch... if it can occurs, it speed up the mill processing.

Glimpse the Unthinkable

Color= Multi Type= Sorcery Cost= UB RA(R)
Text (RA): Target player puts the top ten cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

The "reach" of to mill them more.

Leyline of the Void

Color= Black Type= Enchantment Cost= 2BB GP(R)
Text (GP): If ~this~ is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it in play. ; If a card would be put into an opponent's graveyard, remove it from the game instead.

Without that, Ichorid, *****, survival or any other decks that rely on GY (any Loam deck) to win are screwed. Don't mill for them, because they need to mill themselve for 7 cards for ***** or for a lot more for a tutoring GY toolbox.

I love deck that MD those powerfull SB card that can be used against half the T1.5, T1 deck of the metagame.

Jourdelune