PDA

View Full Version : [Card / Deck Discussion] Momentary Blink

Jak
03-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Since I first saw Mulldrifter, I was just drawn to the card. The art, the draw two, and the flying body just made me love playing with it. Sadly, no decks in Legacy play it. I know, I know, Faerie Stompy does, but I never liked playing it that deck for some reason. I was never able to take advantage of it and I want to be able to draw into counters and goods. it just never did it for me in that deck. I have been trying to use it in any deck, but it was never that great in regular fish. I was sad.

I tried some new ways to use it. The first one was Astral Slide. I liked the thought of drawing a ton of cards every turn. Sadly, the Slide Engine took up a ton of slots. It was cramped and just never ran smoothly at all. My next try was Momentary Blink. Same effect, less slots. I also really liked the idea of it being good in combat with other creatures. I tried it out and loved it, the list, however, was very bad. This is where you come in.

The Candidates (creatures that would be awesome)
Mulldrifter
Exalted Angel
Eternal Witness
Shriekmaw
Loxodon Hierarch
Tarmogoyf

If I am missing any, feel free to tell me.

Now the definite colors are UW with a splash from either Green or Black. I like green, but Thoughtseize and Shriekmaw just seem more awesome. Anyway, here is a starting list.

4 Tundra
4 Underground Sea
4 Flooded Strand
3 Polluted Delta
1 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp

4 Tombstalker
3 Exalted Angel
4 Mulldrifter
2 Shriekmaw

4 Momentary Blink
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder

4 Force of Will
4 Daze
4 Thoughtseize
4 Swords to Plowshares

SB
4 Meddling Mage
4 Engineered Plague
7 Meta

Thoughts on the build, the splash, or the card, please post.

FoolofaTook
03-12-2008, 12:19 AM
How about 4 Shriekmaw and 2 StP? You already have 4 Tombstalker so the black splash is going to have to be bigger than the white splash.

Shriekmaw removes most of what StP does and also is a win condition.

Jak
03-12-2008, 12:23 AM
How about 4 Shriekmaw and 2 StP? You already have 4 Tombstalker so the black splash is going to have to be bigger than the white splash.

Shriekmaw removes most of what StP does and also is a win condition.

Shriekmaw is really awesome, but you can already reuse it and Swords is just the best. Instant speed, one mana less, and hits much more.

Edit- Also to make room for the Thoughtseizes, I cut back on the mana by cutting the Chrome Moxes.

zulander
03-12-2008, 12:54 AM
How could we speed the deck up? I think 18 lands is about 3-4 too few since all your creatures are expensive (sure they have morph/evoke/delve but you don't want to be constricted when you draw them).

Jak
03-12-2008, 01:00 AM
This is not tested, but I did have 3 Chrome Mox and another land. I really wanted Thoughtseize main, so I cut them. Now, I plan to test a lot tomorrow, but maybe adding Moxen would help. I do agree, it does look slow.

Phantom
03-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Interesting idea, although it may be doomed from the start. Still, optimism is never a bad thing.

My initial suggestion would be to add one, maybe two, Volrath's Strongholds.

Elfrago
03-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Reveillark?

deadlock
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
You might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6015&highlight=angel+stompy

it utilizes Momentary Blink, but doesnt depend on it.

Nihil Credo
03-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Momentary Blink is the sort of card that works best as a 3-of, IMO.

Jak
03-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Tested a few games this morning while eating. The deck did not run smoothly at all. Threshold can run so many nonbasics because all of its threats cost 2 mana at most. This deck runs the same ammount but gets hurt by all the hate 10 times more. Also, the control part was lame. Daze hurt me. I would definitely replace Counterspell with Daze. Are there any 1cc threats out there? I am thinking a green splash would be a ton better. A rough list:

4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
4 Flooded Strand
3 Windswept Heath
3 Island
2 Plains
1 Forest

4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf
2 Exalted Angel
4 Mulldrifter
2 Eternal Witness

3 Momentary Blink
4 Brainstorm

4 Force of Will
4 Daze / Counterspell (unsure how CS will be in this list)
4 Spell Snare
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 EE

2 cards over, but can probably cut some. I'll try to test this out when I get home.

Maveric78f
03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
good U/G/W creatures for blink/Gway :
coiling oracle
wall of blossoms
sage of epytir
mystic snake
stonecloaker

Evoke creatures are probably bad as they require to play the evoke cost + the blink (which can be 4 sometimes).

Afriend of mine played a very effective blink/gway deck before evoke appeared.

Maveric78f
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry for the doublepost. Here is how I would play it :

20-lands jank mana base with 8 fetchlands

Recurrable stuff (16)
4*FoW
4*STP
4*EE
4*Brainstorm

Engine (6) :
4*Blink
2*Ghostway

Creatures (18) :
4*Witness
4*Sage of Epityr
4*Coiling Oracle
2*Mystic Snake
2*Stone Cloaker
2*Mulldrifter

Jaiminho
03-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I'd only play Ghostway as a sideboard card. Bring it against any deck that doesn't use blue or fast combos.

Maveric78f
03-13-2008, 05:18 AM
At some point in the game, you don't fear anymore stifle because you have as much FoW as you want in hand, or because you opponent's hand is empty, or because you have to, in resp to a wrath effect, etc... If you have it in hand, it may be tempting to play it, but if you know how to play the deck, stifle should not be a problem (and you already have a lot of stifle targets from witness trigger to engineered explosives activated ability).

In SB you will probably want to play meddling mage in order to interdict the play of stifle or worse trickbind. => hummm forget it, I'm stupid...

The worst MU of the deck is gob as far as I can see. The SB should provide nice stuff from tivadar of thorns to babar.