3 [US] Smokestack
3 [TSP] Krosan Grip

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [B] Tranquility
SB: 3 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
SB: 3 [MM] Ivory Mask
SB: 3 [PLC] Stonecloaker
SB: 3 [TSP] Return to Dust

This was designed from a mix of some Angel Stax and Staxgeddon decks and threads I have seen with some memories of days when old Erhnam Geddon was still played. I have had people scoff at the Erhnam, I originally ran Tarmogoyf but with a Chalice of the Void at 2 it hurts me pretty bad. Erhnam Djinn seems to be the best fit, costing only one green and 3 colorless makes him easy to cast in this sort of shell and right inside the optimal curve for the deck. He comes out a 4/5 and generally no forests are in play, and if they are they won't be for long. His strength is not determined by the graveyard and thus is not susceptible to gravehate as Goyf is. There may be a better creature to run in his place but I wanted an aggro-control style Stax deck and wanted strong turn 1 and 2 plays. Dragon Stompy runs Simian Spirit Guide as a buff for its turn 1 play, so what got me on the idea was running Elvish Spirit Guide for the same reason.

Before you just toss the deck aside at least try it out a few times. I wanted a deck that could run Erhnam Djinn reliably, he may not be the best choice for his slot, but he brings back memories of glory days. =)

On a side note, if anyone has some suggestions on a good shell where Juzam Djinn would still be useful in today's meta, I'm all ears. I'm wanting so bad to run 4 Juzam Djinns in a deck and it still be able to contend on a tournament competitive level. I have tried him in a Braids shell, black Stax shell and a Sui Black shell but have not worked out the major problems yet.

Against
03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Erhnam is pretty terrible. I suggest Loxodon Hierarch instead.

Thehunter820
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
The deck could be some what decent, but I dont see any reason to run it over other Legacy builds.

from Cairo
03-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Wouldn't Terravore be better than the Djinn as well? It curves out stronger as a 3 drop followed by Geddon as a 4 drop, and it will end the game in a couple swings, not to mention it tramples over chumps.

I would run Mox Diamond and Chalice of the Void as 4 ofs in your list, regardless.

Land
03-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Erhnam is pretty terrible. I suggest Loxodon Hierarch instead.

Well, I'm not sure why you say he's "terrible". Loxodon Hierarch is a great 4 drop and fairly easy to cast. He would fit well in the deck and if you prefer the life gain over the higher toughness and easier cast then use the Hierarch. I may or may not switch him for the Hierarch, honestly I had not considered him seriously until now. I will probably stick with the Erhnam though for now until I see an overwhelming reason to not run him. My Hierarchs are in another deck already AND I wanted to use the Erhnam and he just so happens to fit the deck well.

Land
03-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't Terravore be better than the Djinn as well? It curves out stronger as a 3 drop followed by Geddon as a 4 drop, and it will end the game in a couple swings, not to mention it tramples over chumps.

I would run Mox Diamond and Chalice of the Void as 4 ofs in your list, regardless.

Terravore tends to be a bit harder to cast due to double green. Originally I tried Terravore, then Tarmogoyf then Erhnam. Of those 3 Erhnam has fit the best for what I need/want. The Loxodon Hierarch was a good suggestion and another suggestion was Anurid Brushhopper, which has a really nice tech built in. If the Terravore had been 2G instead of 1GG then he would have been in, hands down. I do like his trample effect and he powers out nice if you can cast him. Terravore seems to run best in AggroLoam afaik though and I will leave him there. Erhnam is more nostalgic anyways.

I used to run 4 Mox Diamond, I was constantly getting horrible hands opening. Too many lands, not enough lands, wrong lands. After dropping to 3 Diamonds and adding 4 Elvish Spirit Guides, I rarely mulligan now unless I just MUST have a specific turn 1 play for the particular matchup.

I have not tested Chalice of the Void as a 4-of since I only own 3. I can see benefits to it being run as a 4-of, especially if you take a more prison approach instead of aggro. I have had no problem as of yet with Chalice as a 3-of so, no need to fix what isn't broken.

Land
03-14-2008, 01:05 AM
The deck could be some what decent, but I dont see any reason to run it over other Legacy builds.

It's just a variation on Stax theory and application with a little bit of splash from the old days. Nothing more.

YuanTi
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I flirted with this idea a little while ago, and this is where I ended up:

4 Savannah
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Wasteland
3 Plains
3 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Forest
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrall Vale

3 Mystic Enforcer
3 Loxodon Heirarch
3 Exalted Angel
2 Magus of the Tabernacle

4 Trinisphere
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Smokestack
3 Armageddon
2 Ravages of War
3 Crucible of Worlds
4 Mox Diamond

4 Ghostly Prison
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Krosan Grip
4 Meta Slot

Erhnam is outdated, there is no getting round that. Heirarch, Enforcer and Angel are all better. Enforcer especially, as a 6/6 Pro Black Flier quite commonly after a geddon. Heirarch can save you from burn just before a Geddon, and Angel is an almost unstoppable beatstick. Why play a 4/5 with a drawback over any of these?

scrumdogg
03-17-2008, 05:45 AM
I flirted with this idea a little while ago, and this is where I ended up:

4 Savannah
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Wasteland
3 Plains
3 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Forest
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrall Vale

3 Mystic Enforcer
3 Loxodon Heirarch
3 Exalted Angel
2 Magus of the Tabernacle

4 Trinisphere
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Smokestack
3 Armageddon
2 Ravages of War
3 Crucible of Worlds
4 Mox Diamond

4 Ghostly Prison
4 Leyline of the Void
3 Krosan Grip
4 Meta Slot

Erhnam is outdated, there is no getting round that. Heirarch, Enforcer and Angel are all better. Enforcer especially, as a 6/6 Pro Black Flier quite commonly after a geddon. Heirarch can save you from burn just before a Geddon, and Angel is an almost unstoppable beatstick. Why play a 4/5 with a drawback over any of these?

And how did your flirtation work out? Unless you played this exclusively in multi-player or against the slowest Legacy decks in the known universe, my guess would be not-so-well. Your curve starts at three....three...and then gets more expensive....Your only accelerant is the Mox Diamond and you have to land a Crucible in order to take advantage of your plan. Yes, you have 2 mana lands...except that most of your creatures require double colored mana with no way to search that out other than Flagstones.

Ernham's day in competitive play is probably long gone. There are too many better creatures printed in the fifteen years since (including some land, Monastery is a better creature most of the time...) However, built properly, Geddon-Fat-Stax can be effective against a number of decks. There are always questions though, what is the right mix of anti-aggro & anti-combo? What cards can multi-task in that regard? What accelerants & recursors to use? How best to stabilize a manabase that not only your opponent but you intend to disrupt? What goes in the board in A) an unknown meta (would you play this in an unknown meta?) B) an aggro/aggro-control dominated meta? C) a meta with a sizeable proportion of combo (again, would it be playable?)

Shtriga
03-17-2008, 09:47 AM
that tarmogoyf looks extremely gay

xsockmonkeyx
03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
You might find some inspiration in this (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5073) thread. <3 Junk Pile.