PDA

View Full Version : [Deck Development] Ugb Gifts Control

deadlock
03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi there,

This deck started as a Ring Of Brightearth, Mizzium Transrequiliat, Timevault combo deck, which assembeled the combo by gifting for all three pieces + Reconstruction or something similiar.
I soon realized that the combo was very clunky (what a surprise lol) and dismissed it for some stronger cards, which are useful on their own. Note that i was also inspired by the Veteran Explorer/ Gifts deck, but with a heavier -reactive control approach.

Gifts is a very flexible card in this, because it can either fetch the 'main' combo pieces or simply throw some powerful cards like Goyf, Counterbalance or another Gifts into the mix. Against control you may want to chain Gifts, using it as a draw engine, while throwing vital cards into the bin.

Decklist:
Creatures
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Eternal Witness
1 Genesis
1 Shriekmaw
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror

Spells
1 Vedalken Shackles
3 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Gifts Ungiven
3 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Chrome Mox
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
1 Life from the Loam
2 Engineered Explosives
4 Counterbalance
1 Powder Keg
1 Counterspell

Lands
1 Academy Ruins
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
5 Island
4 Tropical Island
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Forest
2 Underground Sea
1 Volrath's Stronghold

Preliminary SB:
1 Vedalken Shackles
2 Engineered Plague
3 Krosan Grip
2 Extirpate
1 Blue Elemental Blast
1 Hydroblast
2 Duress
1 Wasteland
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Pithing Needle

Card explanations:
I skip the most obvious choices and come directly to the meat:
-Life from the Loam: its a highly desired Gifts target in your slower matchups, it builds up longterm card advantage and combos nicely when paired with Academy Ruins and Volraths Stronghold concerning Gifts. Note that this deck utilizes Loam, but isnt depend on it.
-Genesis and Witness, i know its slow, but in my opinion a nice mid/-lategame Gifts target. One Problem is that you have no reliable way to put Genesis in the yard.
-Shriekmaw was included to have creature removal available, which can be recured by Witness and Volraths Stronghold. One problem is, that he uses the 3 third, least desired colour, which is mainly included for EE Volraths Stronghold and Sideboard options.
-Meloku is there to provide a large flying finisher in case Goyf doesnt get the job done.
-Chrome Mox, this deck uses some very costly spells, above all Gifts itself. Note that you dont cast Mox always, but hold it back for Thirst.
Which leads directly to Thirst itself, my idea was that this deck doesnt mind that much to put stuff into your yard + the obvious synergy between excess SDT or whatever you currently hold in your grip.

Cards which may not belong into the deck or should be changed in number:
-Shriekmaw as mentioned, but i feel my anti aggro gameplan is still too weak
-Gifts may be reduced to 3, my intention was to provide a Gifts asap and to have a pitchable spell for FoW and Mox. As already mentioned Gifts is a strong Gifts target by itself.
-Vedalken Shackles, strong card, eventually should be upped to 2. Especially in the light of Thirst for Knowledge.
-Counterbalance, could become 3 in number, but i feel the deck makes good use of this card.
-The sole Counterspell may be removed aswell, he is strong in the lategame, as a Witness Target, but to push the double U count even further isnt such a good idea.
-Dont tallk about the sideboard for now, the maindeck needs all attention.

Card considerations:
-Deep Analysis, it likes Gifts and gives real CA, but may be to clunky and costly in life.
-Thoughtsize, strong card for sure, but again the lifecost and the third colour doesnt make it that appealing.
-Regrowth, somewhat synergistic with the whole deck, but unlike others it doensnt recur itself and is therefor not so good with Gifts.

I know this deck is far from finished, my problem is that i have very few spare time to test this pile. So i posted this thread to improve the deck from a theoretical point of view. Feel free to test it though :laugh:

Mental
03-20-2008, 12:18 AM
So what are the "broke" gifts piles?

Loam - Ruins - EE/Shackles/Keg

Goyf - Loam - Stronghold - Genesis

Goyf - Maw - Genesis - TfK

A few other thoughts:
Your curve may be too weird to play counterbalance consistently. Think about replacing it with more Counterspells, Standstill, etc. On the other hand, Gifts looks exceptionally strong in this list.

Hanni
03-20-2008, 02:25 AM
This looks very very similar to UGb DAT. The biggest difference I see is that this deck is much slower and more control-oriented.

I'm just going to give a simple suggestion since anything more detailed than would simply conform this deck more towards UGb DAT...

Cephalid Coliseum. I do not understand why this card is not in your list. Not only does it put Genesis into the graveyard for you, it generates massive card advantage and card quality with Loam. I'd recommend fitting 1 into the deck.