PDA

View Full Version : +Finals at 4x Tarmogoyf in Hadley, MA+

Michael Keller
04-20-2008, 11:48 AM
The weather was great on the way there from Syracuse, so that was a great start. Konsultant, Raider Bob, and myself headed out Saturday morning early to Hadley and got ourselves all situated. We were the only Syracuse players in attendance, so that was kind of interesting. Anyways, we just kind of sat around because we already had all the play-testing in and basically just shot the shit until round one.

**Note: There seems to be an arbitrary number of hot women in Hadley. Geoff and I went to a gas station and saw like 7 or 8 just randomly walking in and out. Bonus. Another thing to take note is all of my opponents were skilled and polite. They deserve credit, as well.

Anyways, on to the event: 4x Tarmogoyfs at Off the Wall Games in Hadley, MA. I'm bad at remembering names so I'm just going through what I played against. Sideboard strategy is really irrelevant (unless I play against U/x control).

Round One vs. Dragon Stompy

Game One: I proceed to mulligan down to six and keep a modest hand lacking one more mana to combo out. He plays first turn Trinisphere. I lose.

Game Two: I proceed to drop Belcher turn one and activate, hitting him for close to thirty.

Game Three: He's on the play, but can't find any early mana. I proceed to drop Belcher, without activation mana. Several turns pass and I eventually find a Spirit Guide paired with a Bayou and Chrome Mox to Belch him out.

(1-0)

Round Two vs. U/g/r Thresh

Game One: I combo out with a Belcher turn one, without activation. I have a Tinder Wall in play and a tapped Bayou. He proceeds to Swords to Plowshares my Wall, and from there just takes the game. I draw nothing.

+4 R.E.B.
-4 Wild Cantor

Game Two: Pithing Needle hurts and I draw into nothing. I dropped Belcher but just didn't have the juice.

(1-1)

Round Three vs. R.g.b. Goblins

Game One: I combo out turn one with Belcher activation for 70.

Game Two: I combo out turn one, but can't activate. He goes aggro a few turns and I eventually draw acceleration for the win.

(2-1)

Round Four vs. Cephalid Breakfast

Game One: I'm pretty sure I know what he's playing, because I saw Sutured Ghoul earlier while watching a match next to me. So I can't combo out turn one, but turn two with a piece of acceleration I can. I play balls and keep. He's on the play and proceeds to combo out faster than me, turning his big dude sideways.

+4 R.E.B.
-4 Wild Cantor

Game Two: I combo out turn two. He doesn't understand how Belcher works per say, so we kindly get the judge to explain. We're cool and go to the next one.

Game Three: He plays land and Vial, then passes. I combo out my turn one with an Empty the Warrens for twelve. I get in there my next turn for twelve, and he end of turn Lim Dul's Vault. He's low on life (eight, I believe), and goes down to six. He tries to Echoing Truth my dudes. But what he didn't know is the turn before I top-decked Red Elemental Blast. Huge.

(3-1)

Round Five vs. Slivers (not Meathooks)

We check the standings and my tie-breakers are immaculate. I'm currently in seventh, but the way it will work out I'm pretty much in. I kindly accept the draw, even though we play it out for fun and I win.

(3-1-1)

Top Eight vs. R/g/b/ Goblins

Game One: I combo out turn one with Belcher for 26, I believe.

Game Two: I Empty the Warrens for 14 on him, and even though he caps me twice with some black Goblin removing my Belchers out (and Land Grants the game before), I have just enough after blockers to get in there for the exact amount to win.

(4-1-1)

Top 4 vs. Slivers

Game One: I proceed to combo out with Belcher turn one on the play. He can't do anything about it.

Game Two: He saves up for an end of turn Stifle when I try to Dark Ritual and activate my Belcher. I can't draw any more necessary acceleration and I get smashed.

Game Three: I'm on the play. I Empty the Warrens for twelve. He shows me his hand. He has three Stifles. I breathe deep, but that's what my deck is supposed to do - and I did it.

(5-1-1)

Finals vs. MUC

Game One: I combo out turn one and he has Force on Burning Wish. I stick it out and try to gather up again, but don't draw into a win condition. I die.

+4 REB
-4 Wild Cantor

Game Two: I don't combo out turn one and pass. He plays Pithing Needle on Belcher, and I have two in my hand. I proceed to Empty the Warrens, however, for about 6 dudes. He counters one copy, then soon thereafter he Quicksands two more (awesome). I beat him down to six with two dudes before he stabilizes and I can't do anything further.

(5-2-1)

Props
- Me for top 8'ing at a big event again. Pre-release or not, I wanted to win playing Legacy and that's what I did.
- My opponents for being great people. It's good to see new faces with fresh ideas.
- Team Left Field for making the trip. We're die-hard on Legacy, can't you tell?
- All Hallow's Eve. I've had the same play-set in my last twenty binders for like thirteen years. I dusted it off and put the first one I ever got in there. It's like the "Rudy" of my deck: It might never see play, but it's on a winning team. I love you.
- Dark Belcher for being consistent and strong again. It deserves to be a deck to beat.
- Off the Wall Games. If you guys were located in Syracuse, you'd need a restraining order to keep me out. Great people, great tournaments, great prizes, and a cool atmosphere. A great place.
- Bob for top 8'ing again with Tombstone. Another strong deck and strong finish.

Slops
- Albany, what the hell happened? Where was the big finish or the Burning Togs?
- Beef Jerky for being so expensive.
- Gas for almost negating my winnings. Bastards.

Anyways I'll be there for the next one. A great time :cool:

EDIT: Oh yeah, I nabbed the Volcanics. Hott.

electrolyze
04-20-2008, 12:19 PM
gratz on the good result but may i know youre list you was running cause im really excited?

Shriekmaw
04-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Congrads on the finish Hollywood. Hopefully, I'll see you soon.

I'm glad to see you got the better of goblins over there.

I'm planning on making it down there for the next one.

Take Care.

OffTheWall
04-20-2008, 02:43 PM
The number of hot women in the area comes mainly from the fact that there are 5 colleges within 10 miles of here, 2 of which are all girls schools.

Michael Keller
04-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm glad to see you got the better of goblins over there.

Yeah - the guy I played against (Matt, I believe) was a very competent Goblin player. He was very discouraged to learn he was playing me in the top eight but I let him know anything can happen, as it can.

He had out Lackey and a couple other dudes, but this time I just got in there and left a few untapped as blockers. I actually was going to leave one more of the defensive, but I opted to attack with him. That proved to be all the difference in the match.

Wallace
04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Congrats Hollywood!! Are you going to post a list any time soon?

Michael Keller
04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I was going to hold off until Off the Wall posted it in the Top 8 forum, but I might as well. Here it is:

Dark Belcher
by Michael Keller

[4x] Goblin Charbelcher
[4x] Burning Wish
[4x] Tinder Wall
[4x] Dark Ritual
[4x] Desperate Ritual
[4x] Rite of Flame
[4x] Elvish Spirit Guide
[4x] Simian Spirit Guide
[4x] Lotus Petal
[4x] Lion's Eye Diamond
[4x] Wild Cantor
[4x] Seething Song
[4x] Land Grant
[3x] Empty the Warrens
[3x] Chrome Mox
[1x] Taiga
[1x] Bayou

//Sideboard
[4x] Red Elemental Blast
[2x] Pyroclasm
[2x] Rust
[1x] Shattering Spree
[1x] Diminishing Returns
[1x] Infernal Tutor
[1x] Reverent Silence
[1x] Empty the Warrens
[1x] Kaervek's Torch
[1x] All Hallow's Eve

As you can see, I didn't focus hard beyond the staples which belong in the sideboard. I could have played with a Squire in there and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Wallace
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Where do you think this will fit in belcher?

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/products/shadowmoor/Spoiler/EN_SHM_0211.jpg

I would think it replaces Wild Cantor or maybe drop Wild Cantor, SSG and/or ESG counts to 3 and drop the Bayou all together? LMK what you think of this list:

[4x] Goblin Charbelcher
[4x] Burning Wish
[4x] Tinder Wall
[4x] Dark Ritual
[4x] Desperate Ritual
[4x] Rite of Flame
[4x] Elvish Spirit Guide
[4x] Simian Spirit Guide
[4x] Lotus Petal
[4x] Lion's Eye Diamond
[4x] Manamorphose
[4x] Seething Song
[4x] Land Grant
[3x] Empty the Warrens
[4x] Chrome Mox
[1x] Taiga

Michael Keller
04-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I've seen a lot of people recommend this card in the Belcher forums. I don't mind it, but I doubt I'll play it in my build. It really doesn't net you anything except a replacement card. It can give you the black if you're missing it I suppose, however I've rarely had any mana configuration issues with the deck as it stands. I'll test it, so we'll see. The deck is performing magnificently, so changing it is very taboo for me.

Wallace
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I've seen a lot of people recommend this card in the Belcher forums. I don't mind it, but I doubt I'll play it in my build. It really doesn't net you anything except a replacement card. It can give you the black if you're missing it I suppose, however I've rarely had any mana configuration issues with the deck as it stands. I'll test it, so we'll see. The deck is performing magnificently, so changing it is very taboo for me.

I think this card is just what you said, a fixer. I think it will allow you to drop the 1x Bayou and just run the Taiga. Being able to produce 2 mana of any color combo is just awesome. Or if needed it just adds +1 or +2 to the storm count, depending on what you draw off of the cantrip.

Michael Keller
04-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Right but to be able to cast a Belcher and activate or Burning Wish then Empty the Warrens, you're not netting any mana to help you out. It's really just a cycling card. It fixes mana but there should never be an issue with that in the first place. The deck is acceleration.

Maagler
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
but it acts as a deck thinner like street wraith, only better because it ups your storm count without life loss, and potentially fixes mana if you need it.

Michael Keller
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Hopefully by now people should understand Street Wraith and the sort in Belcher is really a bad idea. Play a 60 card deck with cards that win you the game rather than taking a gamble on something that cycles. It doesn't matter if it thins your deck out. You can mulligan and open with a win.

Jaynel
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
It fixes mana but there should never be an issue with that in the first place. The deck is acceleration.

Wild Cantor would like to have a word with you.

Sanguine Voyeur
04-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Wild Cantor can be acceleration. If you play it one turn and sacrifice it the next, you'll have gained a mana.

Jaynel
04-22-2008, 04:19 PM
If you have a Chrome Mox or a land, yes.

Maagler
04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
A legend is it just me or do you change your icon ten times a day? :tongue:

Michael Keller
04-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I change my icon to anything that has to do with horror - sometimes once a day. It depends on my mood. I never like keeping one avatar because there's so many different options out there that keeping one is seriously dull :cool: