PDA

View Full Version : Ninth at Hadley, MA, 4/19/08

Sanguine Voyeur
04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
A note about the deck list, I didn't want to spend $40 on Jitte, and especially didn't want to spend $80 on a side board card. The fact that I didn't have the money also swayed my decision.

Dragon Stompy
// Lands
10 Mountain
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors

// Creatures
3 Arc-Slogger
3 Sulfur Elemental
4 Gathan Raiders
4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
4 Magus of the Moon
4 Simian Spirit Guide

// Spells
4 Trinisphere
4 Blood Moon
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Chrome Mox
4 Seething Song

// Sideboard
SB: 4 Pyrokinesis
SB: 4 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 4 Shattering Spree
SB: 3 Char-Rumbler

Round I; Dark Belcher [A Legend]

Game I: Dragon Stompy does its thing and gets down a Trinisphere. I don’t see anything except a Burning Wish and maybe a land.

SB: At this point, I had a strong feeling he was playing Belcher. I can’t explain why, but it felt like I knew something I shouldn’t, so I went with it.
-4 Blood Moon
+4 Shattering Spree

Game II: Belcher does its thing and wins before I can get game breaking disruption.

Game III: Belcher does it again.

[0-1]

Round II; Dreadnought Affinity [Jason]

Game I: I land an early Blood Moon, which does very little. A Plated Ornithopter wins for him.

SB: He’s playing something with the word ‘affinity’ in the name, so I’d like some Vindicates.
-4 Blood Moon
+4 Shattering Spree

Game II: Trinisphere holds, while Raiders beat. I think I also Shattering Spree’d some of his lands.

Game III: He doesn’t see much mana, and I get out a Slogger backed by Shattering Spree.

[1-1]

Round III; UGw Threshold [Matt P.]

I can’t recall much about this round but this is what I can remember.

Game I: This game goes on for twenty or forty minutes. I keep landing threats only to have them Plowed. We get in a large stale mate that I apparently could have won. Hopefully, he goes here too and can give details.

Game II: I land a threat or two, sit on Blood Moon. He Plows things, steals a Raiders. I eventually power though.

Game III: I go turn one Seething Song into Trinisphere to doge daze, and play land until I can cast Arc-Slogger. On turn three or five, I land a threat and the game is over. Time was called during turn one. It was a draw.

[1-1-1]

Round IV; RG Something with Stomping Ground [Cory]

Game I: I get down to fifteen, then lay a Trinisphere and win.

SB: I saw some creatures, and he’s playing red.
-4 Blood Moon
+4 Pyrokinesis

Game II: Turn one Trinisphere, turn two Chalice, turn three threat.

[2-1-1]

Round V; Breakfast [Mike]

Game I; Combo deck does combo.

SB: I have no idea what to take out.
-3 Arc-Sloggers
-5 Raiders/Pit Dragons
+4 Tormod’s Crypt
+4 Pyrokinesis

Game II: On the back of Blood Moon and Chalice, I beat his face.

Game III: Another inappropriately long game. I get an early Magus of the Moon, but he has out an Æther Vial for two, so I can’t attack safely. A Chalice at one prevents another Vial and forces him to find the other Nomad, without any tutors and limited cantrips. I get a Dragon down, but he has a Tarmogoyf and a bunch of 1/1’s to get in my way. As more and more threats pile up, I can eventually attack with at least two flying Pit Dragons with enough mana to make at least one lethal.

[3-1-1]

Not bad, I reckon, for my first Legacy tournament.

+’s to
- Opponents for good games.
- Off the Wall games for having a pleasant, cotton smell, contrary to my expectations.
- Last minute Shattering Sprees to fill my side board.
- Friend for driving and covering a two hour distance in one.

-‘s to
+ Hadley for being one hundred miles away.
+ Me for play mistakes.
+ Gas for costing thirty all together.

Madmaniac21
04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
No SoFI, no jitte? No equipment?

Derrrrrr?

Sanguine Voyeur
04-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Derrrrrr?
A note about the deck list, I didn't want to spend $40 on Jitte, and especially didn't want to spend $80 on a side board card. The fact that I didn't have the money also swayed my decision.And what do you propose I take out? Trinispheres won me my first game, won a game in the second round, and helped a lot against Thresh. Blood Moons were game breaking. Sulpher Elementals were too solid, they're a threat that will resolve, they screw up combat math, and hose Breakfast.

Michael Keller
04-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Your list looks fine Sanguine. The disruption is worth the trade-off of equipment. Jitte in the board isn't a bad idea. I think you have obviously a solid match against combo and Thresh the way it is. I found that out first hand in our game one. What changes are you considering?

Peter_Rotten
04-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Derrrrrr?

God, I wish he was running equipment - it would have made my matches much easier. Equipment is sorta crappy in Dragonstompy and I think Trini is one of the strongest cards in the deck.

@my match: You could have won that one by simply attacking with your army. Although we had the same life total (like 12 or something), I had a single Goyf on the table. I'm not so sure why he psyched you out so much, but would could have swung in two or three times, lost a dude each time, and deal enough from those combined attacks to kill me. You also had me locked out of green mana. By not attacking me, I had enough time to search for my EE and wipe out a TON of your board (most importantly your Moon effects) and then cast the 3 Goyfs in my hand and a Goose.

Sanguine Voyeur
04-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm not so sure why he psyched you out so muchI think I'm just not used to playing aggro decks. I was in a state of mind that if I lost board position, I'd lose the game. I'm also not yet apt at Dragon math.
What changes are you considering?From my new found experience, I'm going to test the control match and see what helps that. Combo seems like a coin flip, not much I can do about that. Thresh seems good, but requires thought. Goblins has been called good, and I've had a good time against Affinity.

Boiling Seas could be good, if you increase the number of must counters, it should be a better match-up.

Michael Keller
04-22-2008, 03:18 PM
I think I'm just not used to playing aggro decks. I was in a state of mind that if I lost board position, I'd lose the game. I'm also not yet apt at Dragon math.From my new found experience, I'm going to test the control match and see what helps that. Combo seems like a coin flip, not much I can do about that. Thresh seems good, but requires thought. Goblins has been called good, and I've had a good time against Affinity.

Boiling Seas could be good, if you increase the number of must counters, it should be a better match-up.

Yeah I'd just get more testing in against some of the other combo decks in the format right now like T.E.S. and see what you come up with. I think your disruption is pretty important, especially with the Spirit Guides and Tomb on potential Chalice or Trinisphere.