PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Dragon Stompy. Finalist.

Suguru
04-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Here is my report of a small local tournament (8 people) in which I got to the final (and we decided to pact the result). Small tournament but with those who were, in my opinion, maybe nearly all of the best local players (well, that doesn’t include me).

My list was:

Mana acceleration:
4x Seething Song
4x Chrome Mox
4x Simian Spirit Guide

Lock:
4x Chalice of the Void
2x Blood Moon
4x Magus of the Moon

Creatures:
4x Rakdos Pit Dragon
4x Arc-Slogger
4x Gathan Raiders
3x Sulfur Elemental
1x Akroma Angel of Fury

Equipment:
2x Umezawa Jitte
2x Sword of Fire and Ice

Land:
10x Mountain
4x City of Traitors
4x Ancient Tomb
SB:
4x Pyrokinesis
3x Pithing Needle
3x Trinisphere
3x Tormod’s Crypt
1x Blood Moon
1x Sulfur Elemental

Round 1. UGbThreshold.
G1: He starts with mana, forest, mongoose. I go with Tomb and Chalice for 1 (with no counter, suprisingly. Later he had told me he didn’t know what je has playing against, so he had kept a full green hand with no counters).
He plays a dual and a confidant. I think I played a Sword of Fire and Ice (I had in my hand 3x Arc-Slogger and a RPD).
I don’t remember how it goes well, but I play a Magus and he plays another Tarmo while he is getting me down with the Confidant and Tarmo.
Then I finally get to play one of the 3 Sloggers. He attacks with everything (I had 8 life left) and I block with 4/5 Slogger to 4/5 Tarmo and 4/4 equipped magus to 3/3 mongoose. He sees the game is now under my control so he concedes.

I sided in the third Moon and the 3 Trinispheres for 3 Creatures (Akroma, Sulfur and maybe a big one) and maybe 1 equipment.

G2: He sides and gets to play 2 Chill. I had chances to play my creatures untill I made a silly mistake (played a Mountaid after I had down a City of traitors). He had previously Wastelanded one of my tombs and after my mistake he Wastelanded the other one I had in play, so I conceded.
G3: No much to say. I played a turn 2 Trinisphere and a turn 3 Magus. He had kept a hand with a chill and drew 2 more.

Round 2. RB Goblins.
G1: I start with Land-go. He starts with Mountain-go. I play Magus (very useful). He plays a Piledriver. I play land-go (keeping in hand a Elemental). He plays Warchief and attacks. I play elemental and block Warchief. I play a Jitte, equip Magus and hit. He plays Lackey and Fanatic.I hit again and he doesn’t block. He plays a Goblin King but in response I give Lackey and Fanatic -1/-1 with Jitte. The rest is history…

I sided 4 Pyrokinesis for 2 Moon, 1 Akroma and another thing I don’t remember.

G2: He plays again a turn 2 piledriver and I play a turn 2 Gathan. He plays then a Lackey, and I think I played a Jitte. He hits with Lackey and Piledriver and I burn them with Pyrokinesis. He plays a Ringleader and hits. I unmorph Gathan and block. I keep hitting him a while while I played a Chalice for 1 and he plays a Mad Auntie, Goblin Matron and Earwig Squad (I didn’t mind at all what he could remove, with a Chalice for 1 and Gathan equipped with Jitte). Anyway I had counters enough on my jitte and a pyrokinesis on hand to get rid of all of them and run my Gathan Raiders to victory.

Round 3. High Tide combo.
The games had no much history. The only thing which really hurt him were my chalices and it was a race with me trying to make as much damage as possible and him countering my creatures/equipments and returning to hand my creatures while waiting for the combo cards.
He got to return to my hand my artifacts in play and combo in the second game (in the first one he got the combo easily).
I sided the Trinisphere for Moon effects. I also sided in the fourth Sulfur Elemental.

Round 4. BWg Pikula.
G1: He starts with swamp, ritual, duress (my hand had only creatures) and Confidant. I start with land-go. He goes with a nonbasic land, hit and turn. I play a Magus wich leaves him only with black mana. He gets to play another Confidant but when I get 5 mana I play the Arc-Slogger which gives me the game (Confidants and Magus had put him down to 12 life).

I side in the third Moon and 4 Pyrokinesis for Akroma, 2 SoFI, Sulfur and maybe a big creature (RPD I think).

G2: I keep a hand with Blood Moon and Magus. He starts with Scrubland, Dark ritual, Duress to Moon and Hymn to Tourach discarding my Pyrokinesis and City of Traitors. I can get to play a turn 2 Magus, but he responds with white mana from Scrubland and Swords to Magus. I have run out of threats and I am short of mana, so he easily runs a Tombstalker which kills me quickly.
G3: I keep a hand with Magus, Seething and Chalice. I start with Tomb-go. He goes with Thoughtseize to Magus. I go with Mountain, Seething, Chalice for 2 (and burn 1). He plays a Thoughtseize to a Simian Spirit Guide. I topdeck and play a Rakdos Pit Dragon. He Thoughtseizes one more SSG, but he doesn’t get the third land to play Vindicate or Pernitious Deed, so my RPD with a Sulfur Elemental kill him (with no Hellbent, as I was keeping in hand and unable to play 2 Pyrokinesis)

Semifinal. High Tide combo.
Now the luck was on my side. I got to resolve a Chalice for 1 on the first game and he drew many cost 1 cards. I got to kill him before he got the combo (although he tried to combo 3 times with no luck)
On game 2 I got a second turn Thinisphere down. Then he starts countering almost every creature I try to play, but finally a Gathan Raiders equipped with a SoFI and a Sulfur Elemental kill him the turn before he wanted to combo with 1 life left (his intention was to Hydroblast my Gathan before I equiped them to get the time to combo, but an End of his Turn Sulfur Elemental made it useless to kill one of my creatures)

Props: The second time I play this, the second Top 4 with this deck.
Flash ability of Sulfur Elemental is much better than it seems.
I didn’t miss Trinisphere much, except from the High Tide pairings.

Slops: I didn’t get to make any explossive start.
I did only got once to play a turn 1 Magus, Moon or Trini.