PDA

View Full Version : [TOURNAMENT] Big 1.5 at Monster Den in Minneapolis LOTUS to 1st!

Jujuhawk
04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
So at the last 1.5 Jason (store owner) announced that the prize for the June 1.5 tournament would be a Lotus. I have no idea what condition or exact prize payout, just trying to get the word out early so we can get a big turnout so we can get an amazing prize payout. It will most likely be on the last saturday in June. The entry fee will be $20.

Their info:

1815 East 41st Street.
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
www.monsterdengames.com

Mr Wiggl3s
04-27-2008, 10:36 PM
only a $20 entry fee... who wouldn't be there? The tourneys at the den are almost always the last saturday

j33bus
04-28-2008, 12:18 AM
im pretty sure jason said that the lotus tourny was going to my last saturday in june

moxpearl
04-28-2008, 12:26 AM
He told me the Lotus tournament was going to be in June, not May.

Also, for those interested, we had about 35 people at this last Saturday tournament where Beta Bayou, 2 tarmogoyfs, 4 forces, and store credit were given to top 4.

Ben Woyak took first with Slivers.
Yong Kim took 2nd with Dragon Stompy.
One of the semi-finalists was landstill.
And the other semi-finalists I think was solidarity.

I myself tried fetchland tendrils, but scrubbed out. The field had quite a variety of decks -- the usual goblins, thresh, and landstill, plus aggro loam, geddon stax, rock, tog, ichorid, salvagers, vial fairies, suicide black, monowhite, a few dragon stompy, and three solidarity.

taranodor
04-28-2008, 02:29 AM
3rd and 4th place was Michael Bearman with landstill, and Andy Martin With a faerie goyf deck.

Citrus-God
04-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Go Bearman! Who's the Solidarity player, anyway?

Mooglar
04-28-2008, 02:57 AM
Jeremy Zwirn aka yu ghi topdeck master

JZ23
04-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Jeremy Zwirn aka yu ghi topdeck master

???

Jujuhawk
04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
He said it was going to be in May when he announced it, or that's what I though. >_>. Oh well, getting the word out early helps.

Also, there was more than 3 solidarity. There was like 5. And no thresh showed up. Weird.

Kyachi
04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Whatever, I was there, and I played Thresh. Dropped at 2-1 thank you very much. Work beckoned, and work is the enabler that allows for me to feed the habits.

technogeek5000
04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
He told me the Lotus tournament was going to be in June, not May.

Also, for those interested, we had about 35 people at this last Saturday tournament where Beta Bayou, 2 tarmogoyfs, 4 forces, and store credit were given to top 4.

Ben Woyak took first with Slivers.
Yong Kim took 2nd with Dragon Stompy.
One of the semi-finalists was landstill.
And the other semi-finalists I think was solidarity.

I myself tried fetchland tendrils, but scrubbed out. The field had quite a variety of decks -- the usual goblins, thresh, and landstill, plus aggro loam, geddon stax, rock, tog, ichorid, salvagers, vial fairies, suicide black, monowhite, a few dragon stompy, and three solidarity.

Get the lists so we can add them for the DTB forum

taranodor
04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
There were actually two solidarity decks and one Thresh deck in top 8. Here is Michael Bearman's and Ben Woyak's deck list.

Michael Bearman - 3rd place-3c Landstill

Lands -24
2 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
1 Academy Ruins
2 Wasteland
2 Underground Sea
4 Tundra
1 Scrubland
2 Island
2 Plains
4 Mishra's Factory

Creatures -1
1 Eternal Dragon

Spells -35
4 Standstill
4 Swords to Plowshears
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Counterspell
4 Force of Will
3 Engineered Explosives
3 Wrath of God
2 Humility
2 Decree of Justice
3 Cunning Wish
4 Brainstorm

Sideboard
4 Extirpate
4 Meddling Mage
1 Return to Dust
1 Pulse of the Fields
4 Engineered Plague
1 Slaughter Pact

Ben Woyak -1st place- Meathooks

Lands -18
4 Flooded Strand
3 Windswept Heath
4 Tundra
3 Tropical Island
2 Mutavault
1 Island
1 Plains

Cretaures -17
4 Crystaline Sliver
2 Plated Sliver
4 Muscle Sliver
4 Sinew Sliver
3 Winged Sliver

Spells -25
4 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell
4 Daze
2 Sensei Divining Top
4 Swords to Plowshears
3 Aether Vial
4 Force of Will

Sideboard
2 Krosan Grip
2 Harmonic Sliver
2 Sower of Temptation
2 Threads of Disloyality
4 Meddling Mage
3 Gaddok Teeg

n00bas4urus_r3x
04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
God, Ben is such an ass. Glad to see he got first and didn't punt this one like his PTQ T8 (said with all kindness Ben :wink: )

Jujuhawk
04-28-2008, 09:29 PM
God, Ben is such an ass. Glad to see he got first and didn't punt this one like his PTQ T8 (said with all kindness Ben :wink: )

Oh god that was epic.

Probably the worst punt I've ever seen in a big tournament. That was even past Martin Lohman punting level.

n00bas4urus_r3x
04-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Oh god that was epic.

Probably the worst punt I've ever seen in a big tournament. That was even past Martin Lohman punting level.

It was pretty rough to watch. Also mad props that tourney for Alex Swart who T8ed with White Weenie. That was solid and very unexpected. Hopefully I'll be able to start making these and reporting T8's since school is almost done and I'll be back in the cities.

tpnp
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
That was quite possibly the saddest punting I've ever heard about, especially since I lent him close to 95% of the deck.

I told him to get a playmat with Confinement drawn onto it and in big bold letters:
DON'T FRIGGIN DRAW!

On topic, glad to see there was a decent sized turn out, I would've gone except wife > magic (for the 1 weekend she doesn't work per month).

Jujuhawk
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
It was pretty rough to watch. Also mad props that tourney for Alex Swart who T8ed with White Weenie. That was solid and very unexpected. Hopefully I'll be able to start making these and reporting T8's since school is almost done and I'll be back in the cities.

It was beyond rough to watch. I just saw him pick up the card on top and I almost cried, and I didn't even know who he was until I sat by him in the top 4 match of this last 1.5.

I'll probably be getting top 8 decklists at the next 1.5 tourney so I can post them here. Unless of course someone else wants to, that's fine with me.

revenge_inc
04-29-2008, 03:08 AM
3rd and 4th... Andy Martin With a faerie goyf deck.
Faerie goyf? I would very much like to see this decklist. Someone should get on sending the top-8 decklists to Anwar.:wink:

Jujuhawk
04-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Faerie goyf? I would very much like to see this decklist. Someone should get on sending the top-8 decklists to Anwar.:wink:

I'll get it from him next time I see him (When he finishes my ringleaders and fanatics!).

It just plays vial, fow, brainstorm, cloud of faeries, spellstutter (Biggest blowout card ever. Uncounterable counter w/ vial?), daze, Vendillion clique, goyf, etc.

Citrus-God
05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
The tournament is in 9 days. Commence the shit talk!

Mr Wiggl3s
05-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Fuck Vial Gobs

moxpearl
05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
The tournament is in 9 days.

Just to note, the tournament on May 31st is not for a Lotus but for the normal Big 4 prizes (e.g., beta dual, goyfs, forces, store credit.) The Lotus tournament is on June 28th.

Citrus-God
05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Just to note, the tournament on May 31st is not for a Lotus but for the normal Big 4 prizes (e.g., beta dual, goyfs, forces, store credit.) The Lotus tournament is on June 28th.

Boo!!!!!!

Yea... still... shit talk should go off.

tpnp
05-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Meh, we live in MN. Trash talking doesn't really exist. Except for Woyak, he sucks...

balls.

Valtrix
05-24-2008, 08:24 PM
So, I think I'll go to this...Should be interesting to go to a bigger tournament over what I usually play against at Misty. Not quite sure what I should play though.

n00bas4urus_r3x
05-25-2008, 12:05 PM
And shit talk directed at Tim. God you're such a noob. I really hope I can make this, but my lease in Duluth starts on the 1st, and if we get to move in early I'll probably go up there on Saturday. We'll see however.

SOMEONE GRAB DECKLISTS IF I'M NOT THERE! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Goblin Snowman
05-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Boo!!!!!!

Btw, should I play that pile I came up with last month after I scrubbed out (Ah, Endless Swarm) or Oriss Survival or something?

Xero
05-26-2008, 09:49 PM
SOMEONE GRAB DECKLISTS ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seriously. We have as many or more large tournaments than East Coast states, but no one knows about it :cry:

moxpearl
05-26-2008, 11:55 PM
SOMEONE GRAB DECKLISTS IF I'M NOT THERE!

Seriously. We have as many or more large tournaments than East Coast states, but no one knows about it :cry:

I agree, we should get the Monster Den decklists posted on these boards. We consistently get more than 32 players on a monthly basis.

I just emailed with Jason. He said he will be requiring the decklists prior to the top 8 elimination rounds. Someone just needs to pick them up and type them on the boards. Any volunteers to be the assigned person, so we can let Jason know? I'm guessing it doesn't even have to be picked up on Saturday evening. I can't do it, because I'm not at consistently at the tournament or the store.

Citrus-God
05-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Btw, should I play that pile I came up with last month after I scrubbed out (Ah, Endless Swarm) or Oriss Survival or something?

Play Oriss Survival... it'll be baller.

n00bas4urus_r3x
05-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree, we should get the Monster Den decklists posted on these boards. We consistently get more than 32 players on a monthly basis.

I just emailed with Jason. He said he will be requiring the decklists prior to the top 8 elimination rounds. Someone just needs to pick them up and type them on the boards. Any volunteers to be the assigned person, so we can let Jason know? I'm guessing it doesn't even have to be picked up on Saturday evening. I can't do it, because I'm not at consistently at the tournament or the store.

I'm pretty sure I'll be there, so I can grab them (I'm Stuart btw, I grabbed them the last time we reported, way back in Nov).

EDIT: @ Arex - Needs moar Beacon of Creation if you ask me.

Citrus-God
05-28-2008, 12:53 AM
EDIT: @ Arex - Needs moar Beacon of Creation if you ask me.

+ SDT = goodness... mmm... MGC

Mr Wiggl3s
05-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Boo!!!!!!

I agree, but fuck vial gobs; what can i say

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-01-2008, 01:54 AM
I've got the lists, they'll be up tomorrow I hope, if not then, by Monday for sure.

Top 8 was 41 Lands, Burn, Goblins, Aggro Loam, BGW Rock, UWb Landstill, Dragon Stompy, and Painter's Combo. I forgot to ask how many people, but probably around 40, I know we had at least through 19 tables first round.

Malchar
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I think that there were 38 people because I took a look at the signup sheet near the end. I played goblins and scrubbed out early against the chalice-stompy builds.

Jujuhawk
06-01-2008, 02:36 PM
The goblins had no wastelands. It was like last season's EXT. Goblins with lackey and vial added. Painter's Combo guy was super lucky when I was watching him. Turn 3 both games? His ichorid opponent (Tim Hunt) Dredged ~40 cards and hit 0 narcomoebas.

Mr Wiggl3s
06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
He turned 3 me in both my games. I needed stifle in the side but all i had was energy flux

Jujuhawk
06-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Also, he played 1 leyline in the board and hit it vs. dredge game 2 as well as turn 3ing. He might have lost if it weren't for the misers leyline

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Also, he played 1 leyline in the board and hit it vs. dredge game 2 as well as turn 3ing. He might have lost if it weren't for the misers leyline

Yeah, I saw that one-of Leyline game, it looked a little tragic. His board is really sub-par, it looked like he just threw a bunch of cards in there. The lists are almost done!

Jujuhawk
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I saw that one-of Leyline game, it looked a little tragic. His board is really sub-par, it looked like he just threw a bunch of cards in there. The lists are almost done!

Were you playing Dragon Stompy? If so I think I was your round 2 opponent. I ws playing black thresh with 5 SB blue blasts. Those are my only chance against stompy.

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah that was me. Morphing Gathan Raiders FTL.... :cry:

Deck lists for T8 (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=239372&postcount=63)

moxpearl
06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for posting the lists n00bas4urus_r3x.

Does anyone know the order of the top 4 decks (i.e., who won?) or was the order of your decklists the final rankings?

Jujuhawk
06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah that was me. Morphing Gathan Raiders FTL.... :cry:

Deck lists for T8 (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=239372&postcount=63)

Yeah I've found that if you don't get your explosion opening to stick the deck has a VERy little chance to win. Like, when I drew 2 blue blasts game 2 and 3 that helped a ton since you would just send out a slogger or whatever and then I would just blue blast it which sets you back a lot since you expell so many cards to cast the slogger.

Last minute blue blasts ftw. There was SO much D-Stompy there.

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know the order of the top 4 decks (i.e., who won?) or was the order of your decklists the final rankings?

I left while T8 was still playing. Last I saw was:

Landstill Vs. Life (Landstill won)
Goblins vs. DS (DS won)

41 Land vs. Rock (Lands won)
Burn vs. Painter (Burn won)

When we left Travis had lost his first game to burn, be he might have pulled it out with the Zuran Orbs out of the board. Other than that I have no idea.

j33bus
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
the order goes
1 dragon stompy
2 burn
3 lands
4 landstill

SARCASTO
06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Another 1.5 at the den.

38 people showed
1 Burn
1 Ichorid
1 Reanimator
1 Cephalid Breakfast
3-4 dragon/daemon stompy
1 43 lands
1 Landstill
1 Aggro Loam
2-3 multi colored painters decks
1 Mono blue painter
1 Belcher
2-3 Storm combo
3-4 jank green decks (elves garbage etc)
2-3 Deadguy (B/W)
4-7 thresh of all varieties
2 Rock decks
No idea what else

Top 8
43 land
Aggro loam
Dragon stompy
Burn
Landstill
Rock
3 color painter
Goblins

I played….

Pat McGregor – Aggro Loam OBV

4 Burning Wish
3 Life from the Loam
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark Confidant
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Countryside Crusher
2 Terravore
3 Seismic Assault
4 Engineered Explosives
4 Mox Diamond

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Windswept Heath
4 Forgotten Caves
4 Tranquil Thicket
4 Wasteland
1 Volrath’s Stronghold
2 Forest
1 Mountain
2 Taiga
1 Bayou
1 Badlands

SB:
4 Thorn of Amethyst
3 Krosan Grip
2 Pyroclasm
1 Life from the Loam
1 Shattering Spree
1 Reverent Silence
1 Devastating Dreams
1 Chainer’s Edict
1 Last Rites

Notice there is absolutely 0 yard hate in the board as my ichorid matchup is already so horrendous that I decided to not waste space. I mean come on what other legacy decks use the yard that much….

Round 1 vs Reanimator
G1: He gets a turn 2 sky swallower on the play... then a turn 3 hellkite.
G2: Since I have no board hate he pretty much does the same thing. I even have the chainers, but he drops putrid imp for his outlet sigh.

Round 2 vs Cephalid Breakfast
I put him on thresh when his first two plays are goyfs off of trops. Then I chalice for 1 and explosives for two. Then some sort of vore comes down and I win
G2: I have a vore on the board along with goyf and he has vial and worldly tutors for the combo in response to me casting chalice for 1. He combos and then realizes that he cannot therapy himself for the ghoul in his hand because of chalice for 1. Turns out terravore likes it when people mill their entire deck.

Round 3 Vs Deadguy
G1: He shuffles his cards towards me and I see bunch of discard and ld. I keep a hand on the play of 6 lands (2 cyclers) and a bob figuring that I don’t want to get LD to death and unless he thoughtseizes I am probably ok…. He turn 1 thought seizes me and gets bob. I draw a terravore and no other spells for something like 5 turns, but then top deck a burning wish and wish for dreams discarding a bunch of land he dies to a giant vore.
G2: He doesn't get any white sources and I get the loam engine online really quickly, vores and crushers crush and vore him.

R4 Vs Bloodmoon thresh
G1: He totally blows me out with blood moon
G2: I chalice for 1 when he has 5 1 costs in his hand?
G3: I krosan grip a counterbalance and then just start loaming. I drop a bunch of crap and he draws 1 card a turn.

R5 Vs mono blue painter
I saw this guy playing before and knew he had back to basics and painters combo and counter top.... awesome.
G1: I drop an early bob and seismic assault and he gets painter and counterbalance down. I swing with bob for about 10 or 12 and he keeps blindly countering the stuff I play. Eventually he gets rid of bob and facts into a top and brainstorm. I have no cards in hand and dredge life. I try it. He fetches and brainstorms and tops... and does not find a 2 drop I 6 him with assault.
G2: I shattering spree a needle and a servant and get 2 bobs swinging. My bobs get me down to 5 after neither one of them hits a land ...ever. I drop chalice at 1, followed by explosives for 2. He has 2 cards (force and stifle) and lets it resolve and then realizes that he cannot stifle due to chalice. I kill my bobs (which would have killed me for 5) and then proceed to drop infinite cards due to having 2 active bobs for a while.

Draw into top 8

I agree to prize split with 3 color land still in top 8.
G1: I get crusher down and he cannot get to double white for wrath after I waste him. Smashy smash.
G2: Somewhat epic (not really) he basically has the answer for everything I have and either swords or counters or wraths away every single play. He eventually kills me with an eternal dragon from 33 after I draw 8 blanks in a row. I also made a pretty big side boarding error in boarding out chalice as I totally forgot about extirpate and he swordsed me 4 times this game :(.

G3: I get land screwed pretty hard which is funny because I never get land screwed in the swiss and I always get it in the first round of top... Oh well, that’s what prize splitting is for I guess.

I don't think I would change anything in the main. The sideboard is still a little up in the air. The last rites is probably just terrible and should be replaced. I have seen a bunch of lists run hull breach in addition to spree and silence which I have no idea why. I have never ever hit 2 things with breach and it gets countered by the two things you are trying to stop. Counter balance or chalice for 2.

mujadaddy
06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Nice report.

tpnp
06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Might as well throw my report up. I went there with the intention of playing either RGb Survival or Eva Green, but the evil Swart brothers ask me to play Moon Thresh instead. They have the whole deck together except 4x Goyf, 2x Volcanic, 1x Top, 2x Moons and the sideboard, so I grab what's needed and toss them in.

Round 1
Steve playing Mono-Black Control

I forget the exact details here and there, but I slow play my threats while trying to sculpt my hand. He's able to answer my Goyf with an Edict followed by Extirpate, so I go to plan B: RAWR DRAGON! He can't answer the dragon and it takes him from 14 to 0 in two swings. Game two I have a slow start and I can't find an answer for his Bane of the Living and Epocrasite (x2 I think?). Life totals show him at 4 while I was at 2, so maybe it was closer than I remember /shrug. Game three I drop turn two Goyf and he doesn't Hymn me because he doesn't want to feed the Goyf. Unfortunately, he's holding onto three of them and doesn't draw into an answer. I remember Counterbalance helping a ton here too, having a Daze on top to counter his Night's Whispers and Diabolic Edicts over the course of the match.
2-1 - match
1-0 - overall

Round 2
Kyle playing Demon Stompy

All I remember of game one was me going for turn three Blood Moon (to turn off his Ancient Tombs, etc) and him in response popping Tomb of Urami, leaving him with a Chrome Mox and the token. I mise like a fiend and top deck a second Lightning Bolt to kill the token and all he's stuck with is the Mox to my four lands. Game two he leads off with first turn Chalice at one. I don't ever get into this game at all (having 5+ cards in hand @ 1 doesn't help) and his Grinning Demon bends me over. Game three I don't remember entirely other than him dying to his Grinning Demon upkeep costs. I remember having 2x Goyfs in play at the time of his death, but I think they were only 2/3s. Either way, he took a ton of damage from his Ancient Tombs and Grinning Demon.
2-1 - match
2-0 - overall

Round 3
Travis playing 43 Lands

Ugh, horrible matchup for Thresh of all varieties. I land a Counterbalance early and try to keep a 2-casting cost on top to shut off Loam, but his 3x Rishadan Ports are able to keep the rest of my lands tied up for a long time. At some point I draw a Blood Moon, but I can't get an open source of Red to play it, and he's able to overwhelm me with Burning Wish into Rude Awakening. Game two is worse, he keeps a hand with 3x Manabond and Gamble to grab the Loam. I can't do squat and he makes short work of me. Ugh.
0-2 - match
2-1 - overall

Round 4
Pat playing Aggro/Seismic Loam

Game one I don't remember much, but my life total stayed at 18 while his dropped in decent sized chunks. I can only assume it was Dragon since he went from 13 to 6 to dead. Games two and three were a little less exciting for me since he sided in Krosan Grips to deal with Counterbalance and his Seismics blew away my Goyfs in no time. I found myself on the receiving end of 12 points of Seismic damage in game three to finish me off.
1-2
2-2
**See above for more match info from SARCASTO**

Round 5
Nyles playing BWR Deadguy

Creator of this thread (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9699)?
I have no clue exactly what he was playing. He had Bob, The Rack, Hymn, Storm World, Vindicate, Gerrard's Verdict, Thoughtseize, and Extirpate. Game one I can't apply any pressure to him, and he's able to out-draw me with his 2x Bobs. I succumb to Bob beats and 1x Rack 1x Storm World. Game two his Jotun Grunt is eating away at my graveyard, shrinking my life total along with it. My 1 Mongoose dies while blocking the Grunt, and all he's left with (after failing to pay it's upkeeps costs) is 1x Mishra's Factory. I take two swings from Factory (starting at 5 life) and topdeck a Goyf. With his graveyard, it's a 3/4. His turn he does nothing and I topdeck another goyf and play Ponder, shuffling my library. His turn again and it's nothing. Grats me on Goyf #3 in a row. By now they are all 4/5 and he can't recover. Game three he's stuck on 2 lands (Scrubland and Godless Shrine). I have two Geese in play while he's able to drop a Grunt. It eats away at my graveyard but he doesn't swing because my Geese could take it down. I drop Blood Moon (MVP!) turning off his lands. He gets in one swing with Grunt before he can't pay for the upkeep and my 2 Geese (both are 1/1s) go unanswered for 5 turns and win the match.
2-1 - match
3-2 - overall

Round 6
Sean playing Mono-Blue Control with Painter's Servant/Grindstone combo (SARCASTO's round 5 opp.)

To sum it up quickly (cause I'm tired) - Goose + Goyf Wins game one and three. Morphling and Counterbalance/Top wins game two for him.
2-1 - match
4-2 - overall

Top 8 sheet is printed out along with final standings and I place....9th. Not bad considering I haven't played Thresh since before Goyf was printed.

List from memory:
3x Volcanic Island
4x Tropical Island
3x Island
1x Forest
A bunch of Fetchlands

3x Nimble Mongoose
4x Tarmogoyf
3x Fledgling Dragon

4x Daze
4x Force of Will
3x Counterbalance
2x Blood Moon
4x Brainstorm
4x Ponder
1x Portent
3x Predict

Side:
2x Ancient Grudge
1x Blood Moon
1x Counterbalance
4x REB
3x Krosan Grip

Mr Wiggl3s
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Well since it seems to be a trend, here's me from the reanimate thread

Well here's how my tourney went

Game 1 im playing some guy i've seen before, he's a cool dude but IDK what he's playing (i hardly know what im playing)

Round 1
Game 1
I get out a SSS or a hellkite turn 2, he soon scoops
Game 2
I get out a imp for a SSS turn 2, straight beats as he trys to find 2 chainers
2-0

Round 2
Im playin my homie and his U/G/w thresh, he's won the comp a few times for some sexy beta duals
Game 1
I get out a SSS turn 2 and daze his counters
Game 2
See game 1
2-0

Round 3
Im playin this dude with some awesome deck, Diamond of the Night, or Diamond into the Night, something like that (betta reconigze)
Game 1
He gets countertop going with runed halo and i scoop
Game 2
I go
+2 Wipe Away
-1 Nishomba
-1 Oona
and i get on him with straight Oonas beats IIRC
Game 3
I go
+1 Nishomba
+1 Oona
+4 Show and Tells
-4 Animate Dead
I get something out turn 2 or 3 and just go straight beats
2-1
3-0 overall

Round 4
Im playin some dude with a heavily modded Rock he says
Game 1
He gets to much hand control for me to come back

Game 2
I dont know what to side in so i just put in some stupid card and take out nishomba i think
I get straight beats on him with a turn 2 animate deaded Sundering Titan

Game 3
It was pretty much a stnad still neither of us can get anything going and i think he ends up winning with some 4/4 elephant that gains you 4 life when it comes into play; that was a good matchup
1-2
3-1 overall

Round 5
Im playin this dude i've never seen here before with painters stone, im knowing that i need to get a Sundering titan out early to attempt to have a chance
Game 1
He enlightens turn 1 for the painters or grindstone, i forgot which
Turn 2 he lays down a Ancient Tomb and sets himself up for the next turn
I get out a Sundering Titan and take out his non basic giving me a extra turn
He topdecks a fetch.... :mad: lol
Game 2
This is where i need to side in those 4 stifles i dont have. All i had was energy flux, only thing that i would almost have a chance with
He turn 3's me again

Round 6
Im playin 43 land or something like that, i lost game 1 and dropped

Welp thats it, i need stifle and i'll be doing alot better, ill post a decklist later

j33bus
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
man now i would of written a report but i can't remember my matches well enough to write it other than Bearmen basically got me to pity draw (i shouldn't of) and rude awakening is actually amazing

Citrus-God
06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Diamond of the Night, or Diamond into the Night

DIVE INTO THE NIGHT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Or952bJEbI)

Frank The Tank
06-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Basicly Jason said that first will be the Lotus and 2th - 4th will be determined by player turnout. Ill be bring my turned up fish as my last build for the May 31st tourney was pretty bad :(

Jujuhawk
06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
I can't even be there. Frowntown.

conboy31
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I am pretty sure I am going to go, get destroyed, and drive home.

However, if anyone from Duluth (or along the I35) needs a ride I will be able to take as many as 4 uncomfortably but as low as 0 if my gf and her friends end up coming along and taking the car to IKEA and MoA. I will find out soon.

Citrus-God
06-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Who's gonna be there? Will we see the wisconsin crew? Who knows? Trash talking?

Jujuhawk
06-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Next weekend!

I have my b-day party out of town otherwise I would be there again.

Presents > 0-2 drop ANYDAY. Plus I might get a wii so I can get my SSBB on. ;D.

Good luck to everyone who goes.

SARCASTO
06-27-2008, 01:14 AM
This is just a bump because this tourney is this weekend and the max people should be there... It's a lotus man!!! Also a shout out to Martin and Troy who got first and second at the GP side event, Enjoy swimming in goyfs sirs.

Jujuhawk
06-27-2008, 01:44 AM
When me and martin were playtesting on tuesday we learned that his shit gets stomped by MUC.

I fully expect him to make top 8 only to get his face smashed in by MUC crushing his hopes and dreams of ever winning a Den 1.5.

At least he can say he has 9 goyfs. :/

Obligatory prediction: Matt Ekstrand wins the tournaments with my magical goblins cards. Hopefully he draws lackey every once in awhile unlike me. That bitch better give me a cut when he wins.

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Rumor has it Oriss Survival T8ed.

Citrus-God
06-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Rumor has it Oriss Survival T8ed.

Haha.... well... umm... dunno how to break it to you, but that wasn't Oriss Survival;`it was 4c Threshold. Alex was seriously tempted to play Oriss Survival, but he wanted to win.

GW_Aggro
06-29-2008, 02:40 AM
How did Alex do? I ran mono black and dropped at 2-3... :(

Citrus-God
06-29-2008, 03:03 AM
How did Alex do? I ran mono black and dropped at 2-3... :(

I left while he was still in the Top 8. He was playing against Pat McGregor who was play Aggro-Loam.

Shawn
06-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I got 9th, according to the sheet. Boo for Mystic Enforcer, and boo for Smash to Smithereens. Report coming up soon...

zetrix
06-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Pat ended up winning the minty lotus :)

kabal
06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Pat ended up winning the minty lotus :)

What was the Top 8?

thelfj
06-29-2008, 01:32 PM
pat won the lotus, alex played pat in the 1st round of top 8, ergo alex probs lost in the first round of top 8...

Kyachi
06-30-2008, 12:39 AM
I have decklists, but they're at my parents' house, so I'll get those up asap. Yeah, Alex lost to Pat in the quarters. Tears and tears. He's in Atlanta right now for some medical conference, but I'll try to get him to write a report when her gets back in July.

SARCASTO
06-30-2008, 12:33 PM
77 people in attendance. Lots of landstill and thresh, some gobs at least 4 ichorid, at least 3 Tes/ tendrils, a couple dreadstill a few MUC, a few rock, a few sui with spash, 1 43 land 1 aggro loam, 1 stax, others.... 7 rounds

Top 8 was
4C Thresh
Birdshit
Stax
Landstill
Solidarity
Rock
Red death
Aggro loam

Aggro loam beat Thresh
Red death beat Solidarity
Stax beat Birdshit
Rock beat Landstill

Rock beat Red death
Aggro loam beat Stax

Aggro loam beat Rock

R1 Black Thresh w/ sower
G1 T1 Goyf on the play followed by cycling into life and eventually playing more goyfs + recurring waste.
G2 I think he extirpates life early but I get early goyfs and smash face. He drops sower and the board is 3 goyfs to 3 goyfs an a sower. I explosives for 4 with mox diamond, he des not find a stifle.

R2 vs TES
G1 He miscounts his mana and puts an orims chant on a mox for no reason and goes off with empty for 14 on the play. I diamond wish for clasm. He swings for 14 I clasm, then drop some monsters and a chalice, he draws 4 mana spells with 1 land.
G2 He kept a hand with no business but all accel and a chant. I drop turn 2 thorns a turn 3 chalice. I get stuck on 2 land, but eventually find a third and drop terravore followed by dreams for all his land. T vore seals it.

R3 vs Black thresh
G1 I think I waste him 6-7 times, then the goyfing begins.
G2 we battle for a while, he extirpates my wastes and crypts me once, I kill everything he plays with explosives Eventually the board gets down to 2x crusher and vore on my side to 2x sower and a stolen goyf and bob on his. He is at 1 life to few and has to make terrible blocks. then death.

R4 vs Dragon stompy
G1 I play goyf crusher assualt... the end.
G2 He mulls to 5 and almost beats me as he moons followed by hellbent dragon and raiders in short order. I have to chump with crusher to not die but get assault online at the last second to wrath him and then 20 him.

R5 vs 3 color landstill
G1 he gets stuck on 3 lands and I get 2x goyf + chalice for 1 in play. He wishes for return to dust but when he hits his 4th land and dusts I top waste so he cannot wrath the next turn, he swords a goyf but I drop another and that is game.
G2 I am pretty sure I just drop a bunch of goyfs and he swords all of them so I waste lock him and drop crusher and vore.

R6 ID
R7 ID

Top 8 vs 4 color thresh
G1: I am pretty sure it is very hard for me to lose this matchup, his deck just has trouble dealing with my angles of attack and without bob I don't think he can get a clear advantage. He drops 2x mongoose early, dazes... something and then I explosives his guys and drop goyf and crusher and wastes.
G2. We chill for a while building but I get chalice for 1 down and giant dudes ensue.

Top 4 vs Geddon stax.
G1. He drop turn 1 sphere on the draw and I waste him. He does not have another double land so we both get to 3 and I drop crusher. He drops ghostly prison. I hit 6 lands off the top and lethal in 2 turns. If he would have toped a land on the last turn he would have gotten geddon.
G2: He mulls to 5 on the play I goyf and crusher, he o rings my crusher, I grip do some life tricks and kill him in 2 turns.

Finals Vs B/G rock
G1: The life engine just buries him in card advantage when he gets a slow start. He deeds twice, but I have stronghold so I just put crusher on top. I wish for dreams and kill all the lands with a crusher in play.

G2: He turn 1 duress burning wish turn 2 thoughtseize life extirpate life, we both drop guys but mine is an 11/11 terravore and his is not. He does not find removal in time.

8-0 in matches 16-0 in games. Hells yes. MNMAGIC FTW.

This was a great smoothly run tournament as usual, props to Jason.

SARCASTO
06-30-2008, 12:42 PM
I played….

4 Burning Wish
3 Life from the Loam
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark Confidant
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Countryside Crusher
2 Terravore
3 Seismic Assault
3 Engineered Explosives
4 Mox Diamond

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Windswept Heath
4 Forgotten Caves
4 Tranquil Thicket
4 Wasteland
1 Volrath’s Stronghold
1 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Taiga
1 Bayou
1 Badlands

SB:
4 Thorn of Amethyst
3 Krosan Grip
3 Pyroclasm
1 Life from the Loam
1 Shattering Spree
1 Reverent Silence
1 Devastating Dreams
1 Chainer’s Edict

n00bas4urus_r3x
06-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Obv, lol. Well done. 77 people, shit, I should have gone but I choose a weekend in Duluth over it, oh well. Mad props to Jason for hosting this thing, and thank god someone got lists.

jodawe
07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I played Solidarity because all the thresh players are playing anti thresh decks and it´s my favorite :smile: Here´s my list:

4 High Tide
4 Brainstorm
4 Opt
2 Spell Snare
2 Brain Freeze
4 Reset
4 Impulse
2 Flash of Insight
3 Remand
3 Meditate
3 Cunning Wish
3 Turnabout
4 Force of Will

SB
4 Hydroblast
1 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Echoing Truth
1 Wipe Away
2 Spell Snares
1 Meditate
1 Turnabout
1 Rebuild
1 Stroke of Genius

77 stinky sweaty dorks. Fantastic...

R1 vs Goblins splash black
Game 1 No first turn lacky so I win
Game 2 He gets me locked down with 2 ports and Piledrivers
Game 3 I win around a thorn with 4 islands and 2 high tides. I was very lucky to win that match.

R2 vs Sui Black with Goyfs
Game 1 He plays a first turn ritual followed by a thought seize and a bob. I couldn´t keep up with all the disruption that followed
Game 2 I win working around a turn 1 Bob and a turn 2 hippe.
Game 3 I lose to turn one hippe followed by a turn two hippie.

R3 vs MUC
I can remember his name but he´s an extremely good player.
Game 1 I wait around for him to cast a creature then combo off.
Game 2 He sides in green for goyfs. I didn´t see that coming. Good thing I boarded in my spell snares. We have a counter war over 2 goyfs. Neither resolve. He eventually tries to cast a morphling but I combo off in response.

R4 vs Ichorid
Game 1 My opponent forgets to de-side and gets a game loss
Game 2 I board in my echoing truths and keep a hand with a force. I buy my time by countering a discard spell and bouncing some tokens.

R5 vs Black Thresh
Game 1 It´s a long match but I win somehow. I comboed out the turn before he could do lethal damage to me.
Game 2 Another long match but I eventually end up losing after he extripates half my deck.
Game 3 Goes to time.

3 - 1 - 1 I have to win out.

R6 vs Landstill
Game 1 I have a slow clock of factory beats and eventually win through 3 counters
Game 2 I let a turn 2 standstill resolve. He then proceeds to play 2 additional factories making his total 3 by turn 4. I combo out just before he can go lethal. Out of his 10 cards only 2 were counterspells

R7 vs 42 lands
I don´t think I could ask for a better pairing
Game 1 I counter a boil and win.
Game 2 After playing 6 rounds of Solidarity your mind starts to do funny things. Especially when your in a hot and smelly environment and Berman is whining about something right next to you.
Game 3 Anywho... I get back on track and win.

T8 vs Red Black

Game 1 Turn 1 Ritual Negator followed by disruption
Game 2 I board in my Truths. Turn 1 he plays a ritual... He follows with a shade. Turn 2 he thoughseizes, I think I brainstorm and hide my truth, taking a cunning wish and attacks. Turn 3 he attacks pumping the shade. I bounce it buying me 2 turns which paves the way for a win.
Game 3 He plays a turn 1 ritual. Dark Ritual is 6 out of 6 against me today for turn 1 plays. He plays a hippie followed by more rituals and sinkholes and negators. Turn 4 I have 2 lands. That means I lose.

Props:
Islands
Pat and his minty lotus... Almost too minty if ya know what I mean :tongue:
Jason for having the tourney

Slops:
Dark Ritual

Mohr
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I took 2nd place out of 77 with the following BG Rock list...

4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Troll Ascetic
3 Ravenous Baloth
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Duress
4 Thoughtseize
4 Pernicious Deed
2 Putrefy
3 Smother
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Forest
4 Swamp
3 Windswept Heath
3 Polluted Delta
2 Treetop Village
3 Wasteland

SB
4 Engineered Plague
4 Extirpate
3 Choke
3 Krosan Grip
1 Eyes of the Wisent

No_Life_No_Future
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
R2 vs TES
G1 He miscounts his mana and puts an orims chant on a mox for no reason and goes off with empty for 14 on the play. I diamond wish for clasm. He swings for 14 I clasm, then drop some monsters and a chalice, he draws 4 mana spells with 1 land.
G2 He kept a hand with no business but all accel and a chant. I drop turn 2 thorns a turn 3 chalice. I get stuck on 2 land, but eventually find a third and drop terravore followed by dreams for all his land. T vore seals it.

Hey, that was me playing TES... Congrats on the Lotus. For the record I didnt miscount my mana. I put chant on mox because I had to use an LED so I would have had to discard it anyway.

SARCASTO
07-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Sorry man I didn't even think of that. My bad.

markbris
07-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I took 2nd place out of 77 with the following BG Rock list...

4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Troll Ascetic
3 Ravenous Baloth
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Duress
4 Thoughtseize
4 Pernicious Deed
2 Putrefy
3 Smother
2 Umezawa's Jitte
2 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Forest
4 Swamp
3 Windswept Heath
3 Polluted Delta
2 Treetop Village
3 Wasteland

SB
4 Engineered Plague
4 Extirpate
3 Choke
3 Krosan Grip
1 Eyes of the Wisent

Thats only 56 cards, what is missing?

conboy31
07-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I think it might have been loam?

Mohr
07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
4 Bayou

Shades
07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I played….

4 Burning Wish
3 Life from the Loam
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark Confidant
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Countryside Crusher
2 Terravore
3 Seismic Assault
3 Engineered Explosives
4 Mox Diamond

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Windswept Heath
4 Forgotten Caves
4 Tranquil Thicket
4 Wasteland
1 Volrath’s Stronghold
1 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Taiga
1 Bayou
1 Badlands

SB:
4 Thorn of Amethyst
3 Krosan Grip
3 Pyroclasm
1 Life from the Loam
1 Shattering Spree
1 Reverent Silence
1 Devastating Dreams
1 Chainer’s Edict

First, very nice list! I absolutely agree with you on the 27 lands and 0 Dev. Dreams.

But I have a question: you did not expect any Ichorid oder Aggro Loam, did you? Your SB doesn't adress these Matchups at all oder do you plan to win with Pyroclasm against Ichorid?

someone_unimportant
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
R3 vs MUC
I can remember his name but he´s an extremely good player.
Game 1 I wait around for him to cast a creature then combo off.
Game 2 He sides in green for goyfs. I didn´t see that coming. Good thing I boarded in my spell snares. We have a counter war over 2 goyfs. Neither resolve. He eventually tries to cast a morphling but I combo off in response.

Thanks for the compliment!
But for the record, I won game 2 after I drew every Force of Will in my deck and then you crushed me game 3 with double Brain Freeze on the turn before lethal. And congratulations PatMcG for the Lotus. Now you should get another playmat with a picture of Life from the Loam AND Black Lotus.

Jujuhawk
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
First, very nice list! I absolutely agree with you on the 27 lands and 0 Dev. Dreams.

But I have a question: you did not expect any Ichorid oder Aggro Loam, did you? Your SB doesn't adress these Matchups at all oder do you plan to win with Pyroclasm against Ichorid?

Since pat doesn't post here I'll answer that question for him:

He told me that he decided to just ditch the ichorid hate. About 2 1.5's ago he was boarding 6 or 7 cards and it didn't even help so he basically just prays not to play against it or they get screwed and use the SB slots for matchups that he might have a chance in.

Aggro Loam isn't played at the den AT ALL besides him, and the only thing close is 43 which only has 2 or 3 pilots.

F3d3x
07-06-2008, 06:08 PM
I played….

4 Burning Wish
3 Life from the Loam
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark Confidant
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Countryside Crusher
2 Terravore
3 Seismic Assault
3 Engineered Explosives
4 Mox Diamond

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
1 Windswept Heath
4 Forgotten Caves
4 Tranquil Thicket
4 Wasteland
1 Volrath’s Stronghold
1 Forest
2 Mountain
2 Taiga
1 Bayou
1 Badlands

SB:
4 Thorn of Amethyst
3 Krosan Grip
3 Pyroclasm
1 Life from the Loam
1 Shattering Spree
1 Reverent Silence
1 Devastating Dreams
1 Chainer’s Edict

So do realize there are 61 cards in the main deck.

F3d3x
07-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Also the sideboard would be easy to adjust mine looks like:

1 Devastating Dreams
1 Shattering Spree
1 Pyroclasm
1 Firespout
1 Life from the Loam
1 Reverent Silence
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Unearth
3 Krosan Grip
4 Leyline of the Void

Jujuhawk
07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Why even bother with the leylines? You auto-lost game 1 and then barring some sort of miracle you just lose game 2. The only way I could see you winning is by getting like 3 leylines in your opener. Otherwise, they just bounce and win. The only way they can lose is if they dredge into nothing.