View Full Version : *Mirkwood* Playset Underground Seas for 1st place LEGACY

cardtard
05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
A primer for the Batcave event!!
Sunday June 8th 11am
Legacy (1.5)
Mirkwood
$20 entry
8 proxies allowed (CE does not count toward limit)
Additional proxies $1 ea.
1st = 4x underground sea revised
2nd = 2x non-blue dual land
3rd-4th = 1x dual land
5th-8th = dependent on attendance
No outside food or drink
Mirkwood / Shire Cafe
117 E Division St
Arlington WA
360 403-9020

Pinder
05-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Trash talk for this tournament located here (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=233756#post233756) (after post 371).

frogboy
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
$20 entry
8 proxies allowed (CE does not count toward limit)
Additional proxies $1 ea.
1st = 4x underground sea revised
2nd = 2x non-blue dual land
3rd-4th = 1x dual land
5th-8th = dependent on attendance

Exactly how many people are you expecting?

DeathwingZERO
05-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I actually noticed that myself after I had a good look at it. Unless I'd be able to pile in a full car from Portland to pay for the gas, it's seeming like the trip would be rather lackluster at best for most of our crew to go up there.

1st place being roughly $150, second closer to $50-60, 3rd and 4th $25-30, it seems the expected amount of people is only about 12 or so. Is it possible to make adjustments to the structure from 2nd to 8th depending on attendance, rather than the flat amount? Or perhaps knocking it down to $15 entry?

Just my two cents.

cardtard
05-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Our last legacy tournament we had 32. I always bump up prizes for good attendance. If you haven't played here for a larger tournament, you should give it a try our players have never left unhappy. Like the vintage scene, I hope our local legacy will be as much about the community and competition as prizes and costs. Of course maybe that's just me.

AngryTroll
05-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Any chance this can be moved forward one weekend? This is the weekend before the Batcave Dual Land Draft.

If it's the 15th, I will already be gone for the summer. If we move it forward a weekend, I'll rope Chris and Nick into it and bring a car-full up from Portland.

Pinder
05-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Any chance this can be moved forward one weekend? This is the weekend before the Batcave Dual Land Draft.

If it's the 15th, I will already be gone for the summer. If we move it forward a weekend, I'll rope Chris and Nick into it and bring a car-full up from Portland.

It's actually two weekends before the DLD. Of course, I wouldn't mind doing it on the 8th, either.

AngryTroll
05-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Alright, it's TWO weekends before the DLD at Batcave! Any chance it can be three?

cardtard
05-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Yes, we've changed to the 8th!! Hope you can make it!!

AngryTroll
05-28-2008, 12:39 AM
yes it's true. june 8th

Sweet! I'll bring a whole car-ful of Portlanders.

THANKS!

Pinder
05-29-2008, 04:03 PM
BAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW I just realized that my parents are out of town the weekend of the 8th and I'm stuck wrangling my younger brother.

I guess I'll see you guys on the 29th. :rolleyes:

Zach Tartell
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Teach him to play Magic dude.

Edit: and make him pay his own entry fee.

Pinder
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Teach him to play Magic dude.

Edit: and make him pay his own entry fee.

He knows how to play (the basics, anyway).

Problem: Tourney's on a Sunday. Ordinarily I would just skip church but the kid is still helplessly in the clutches of both my parents and the Mormon Church (oh noes!). And believe me, even if I won the Seas it wouldn't be worth the shit I would catch.

So it's a no go :frown:

AngryTroll
05-29-2008, 07:14 PM
The real reason Pinder isn't going to come is more basic than that, but he doesn't want to admit it.

Tournament at Batcave, for all the marbles:

Magus of the Moon?

Oh.....

.... um .... .... Didn't you want to break those fetches?

... ... ....There's no basics to find.

You'll still join us Sunday night for drinks and dinner, right?

Pinder
05-29-2008, 07:17 PM
You'll still join us Sunday night for drinks and dinner, right?

If you want to drive to Seattle, in which case I can bring my younger brother and not drink. I'm tied down to the squirt all weekend.

Fuck.

Yawgmoth
06-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Pinder have you ever considered asking your parents to go half and half with you on a babysitter? You've drove to Vancouver to play in significantly smaller tournaments. Probably spending almost as much on gas than it is for a few hours of babysitting. I don't see a terrible difference between the two.

Pinder
06-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Pinder have you ever considered asking your parents to go half and half with you on a babysitter? You've drove to Vancouver to play in significantly smaller tournaments. Probably spending almost as much on gas than it is for a few hours of babysitting. I don't see a terrible difference between the two.

Hrm....I don't want to look for babysitters, but this is not a bad idea. I'm torn.

edit - It would have to be one that took him to church, though. That's the main thing.

frogboy
06-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Could probably get one while you went out to dinner and got wasted though!

AngryTroll
06-07-2008, 01:06 AM
It's so on.

How many Portlanders are going? I heard rumor of two cars full-Me, Volt, Nick, Abe, Brett, some others. Sweet.

Edit: And Irish Carbombs, and whiskey.

frogboy
06-07-2008, 01:11 AM
I have finals :(

DeathwingZERO
06-07-2008, 02:26 AM
EDIT: Forgot it was on a Sunday. Brett can make it (maybe?) but I'm a no go. Got a concert to hit up with a buddy of mine in the evening, and I wouldn't get back in time even if I scrubbed out.

Pinder
06-07-2008, 02:27 AM

As do I, and I also have to keep track of my younger brother while my parents are away on a fishing trip.

I expect to see regular updates as I'm sitting in my house bored out of my mind. Don't let me down, guys.

AngryTroll
06-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Yeah, so? I have finals, and I go to school all the way down in Corvallis....I'm headed to Portland today, Seattle tomorrow, then back down to Corvallis Monday. Luckily, no Monday final.

Yawgmoth
06-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Brads out - but Abe an I are good to go. What time did you says you were going to be at my place? 7:30?

Pinder
06-08-2008, 05:19 PM
RAHR, I demand reportage, RAHR RAHR!

Seriously, what's happening over there?

Bardo
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Fuck. Just noticed this. I couldn't have gone anyway--but this looked sweet.

DeathwingZERO
06-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Had it not been pushed back, I probably would have made it. But when it gets right down to it, great concert + buddy's bday party > Magic tournament + 5 1/2 hour drive.

So what's the deal, where's our reportage?

Pinder
06-09-2008, 01:17 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/Pindarius/38122.jpg

Yawgmoth
06-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Quick update - since no one else seemed to post.

Abe and me split-ish for first and second. (Go Go Vancouver!!!)

Top 8
1-2 The Rock - Me
1-2 Stiflenought - Abe
3-4 Blue splash Survival
3-4 Mono Red Burn/Sligh
5-8 Aggro Loam - Chris (Volt)
5-8 Goblins
5-8 B/W Deadguy
5-8 Mono White Controll

I don't really plan on writing a tournament report but I will post my list at some point, just really lazy right now and have way too much homework to spend time BS'n online. Though I have to say my favorite game of the entire tournament was my very first one. It seemed to be this epically long struggle against Anton and his legion of fairies in an incredibly close game.

Don and Chris will probably post with some more details but for now that's all I have to say (need to wake up in 2 hours).

DeathwingZERO
06-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Holy shit, Deadguy Ale actually pulled a top 8. I don't care what anybody says, I still <3 the shit out of that deck.

Anybody get a hold of lists, by chance? Would like to scope out some of the tech before the 29th.

Jak
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Go Go Mwc!!!

electrolyze
06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
nice t8, i really like to see the deadguy list too. i'm very excited how that list looks, because i never had that good results with my bw deadguy deck.

Volt
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM

frogboy
06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
metagame breakdown?

Volt
06-09-2008, 02:28 PM

AngryTroll
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I made a dissapointing 2-2. Played RBwr Survival (with lots of basics, take that, Diablos). All day the basic Mountain, Plains, and Swamp (plus all the forests) were MVP along with Magus and opposing Wastes.

Round 1 I played against Goblins. I won game one, lost game two (As I should, I mulliganed to six, and I knew that if he had the turn one lackey I was in trouble, and he did.) Game three, I Rough-ed away his entire board, leaving him with one card in hand, a Vial set to three, and some land. He draws Warchief, Vials it in, plays the Matron in his hand, gets and plays a Matron, gets and plays a Piledriver, and swings for 11. I am sitting at 11 and die. Boo.
0-1

Round two is Survival. My opponent is not very good. Turns out he was loaned the deck right before the tournament. He Thoughtseizes me game one, seeing Survival, Wish, and Harmonic Sliver. He takes Survival, than on his second turn drops his own Survival, without land untapped to use it. I drop Harmonic, he drops a second Survival, so I Wish for Serenity. He manages to draw a THIRD Survival before I find one, but I win anyway, because he was not a very good player. Game two, we both find Survivals, and I win. I Extirpated his Goyfs in response to a Thoughtsieze, and see Loaming Shaman, Withered Wretch, Crypts, Krosan Grips, Harmonic Sliver, and Indrik Stomphowler. Wow, but I still win.
1-1

Round three, I see a Trop, so I Therapy naming Counterbalance. His hand has TWO Survivals in it, so I eat them with my Bird. However, as usual, he finds a Witness for Survival and I draw land and mana dudes. Game two, he has a fourth Survival, and I do not. I do have Goyfs, and I get in some damage and drop a Magus. I Therapy my own Genesis away, and we spend a VERY LONG TIME going back and forth. His list was severly dated, running Spore Frog, Masticore, and Goblin Sharpshooter (as well as Mana Leak and Force, but no Brainstorm?). Spore Frog is amazing for him, though, and I only draw one Krosan Grip in infinite turns. Sure enough, he finds another Survival, and I do not draw a Grip, Extirpate, Survival, or the Harmonic Sliver in the deck. We have a very interesting time, because he only had one forest, and we spent forever Genesis-ing back Spore Frog (on his side), Magus (on my side), and FTK (on both sides). Eventually, he gets a Masticore, eats Magus, finds a Wonder (BEST BLUE CARD IN THE DECK) and flies over for lethal.
1-2

I win the last match easily. He is playing UG Gro. At one point earlier in the day, I did see a 16/16 Dryad, but Dryad doesn't like Shriekmaw and Swords to Plowshares. He was running Unsummon and stuff instead of Swords to Plowshares, and I win an easy two games. I did get Cryptic Commanded twice, which was interesting. Game two was textbook Survival vs. Thresh/Gro. I baited Force with Goyf and Thoughtseize, dropped a Survival, and worked with a hand of seven cards while his hand whittled down to three or so. Even if he had eventually answered Survival, I still had a hand of seven cards and he was out.

I did not make top eight on tiebreakers, but I didn't really care. Thresh would have been a terrible choice for the day, as out of 16 people, there were 2 Survival decks (and mine was the third), 1 AggroLoam, 1 Rock, 1 Landstill, and 1 Goblins. I almost played Belcher, but there was a little too much blue for that.

Props:
Abe and Nick, for winning
Survival, even though I could not draw it ever, for JUST WINNING when I did
Basics, for being amazing
Thai Food for dinner, and Chris for finding the place
Cheesecake

Slops:
The Seattle crew. Really? Come on. I drove up from Corvallis, and drove both ways to and from Seattle. You guys couldn't make the thirty minute drive?

Survival mirrors, where one person draws three and you draw none, and still go to time and almost draw.

My deck for giving me TWO Survivals against EIGHT opposing Survivals.

Chris' deck, for landscrewing him two games out of three in the Top 8.

Pinder
06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Slops:
The Seattle crew. Really? Come on. I drove up from Corvallis, and drove both ways to and from Seattle. You guys couldn't make the thirty minute drive?

Me: Finals week, I was finishing a 9-page research paper
Tosh: It was a Sunday, and his mom has him religiously whipped
Mav: He could have come, but he's just kind of a douche.
Everyone else: Fuck, they never make it out anyway.

AngryTroll
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Me: Finals week, I was finishing a 9-page research paper

Me: Finals week, I am leaving for the entire summer this week. Also, I live in Corvallis.

Jak
06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
What did the Wombat list play? Look like? Cards used?

Volt
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM

DeathwingZERO
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
1 The Rock
1 Aggro-Loam
3 Survival
2 Stifle-Nought (1 UG, 1 mono-blue)
1 Scepter Chant
1 MWC
1 MBC
1 Goblins
1 Sligh
1 Dryad Gro
1 Faerie Control
1 Deadguy
1 Landstill (I think ???)

No combo. No Thresh.

Did anybody else just go hard at the thought of Ichorid showing up to this kind of metagame?

I just did.

Volt
06-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Jak
06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
For whatever reason, that metagame is very undeveloped. The decks that show up there tend to be out of date or just plain suboptimal. That said, I was expecting one or two people to show up with Ichorid.

What did the Wombat list look like?

DeathwingZERO
06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm still leaning heavily towards it, but it's just not the same as the Vintage list I'm so used to. I mean, I have to PLAY spells with this deck. How unfair is that?

I still want to throw something different out on the 29th. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to put together things I'd want to play. I was considering some pretty strange deck designs, like a U/W/G deck packing both Tarmogoyf beatdowns in the main and a Painter's combo in the SB, but that requires like 8 duals, 6 blue fetches, 3 Moats, 4 Force, 4 Goyfs, and another $200 or so in cards I don't want to have to buy for one tournament.

Jak
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm still leaning heavily towards it, but it's just not the same as the Vintage list I'm so used to. I mean, I have to PLAY spells with this deck. How unfair is that?

I still want to throw something different out on the 29th. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to put together things I'd want to play. I was considering some pretty strange deck designs, like a U/W/G deck packing both Tarmogoyf beatdowns in the main and a Painter's combo in the SB, but that requires like 8 duals, 6 blue fetches, 3 Moats, 4 Force, 4 Goyfs, and another $200 or so in cards I don't want to have to buy for one tournament.

You can reuse decks and cards so it wouldn't be a waste.

I am in the same boat. I have a lot of options but for the first huge NW tourney, I waant to bring something that will rockthe meta. Combo seems like a bad pick since everyone will be playing Force. So that leave control or aggro. I love control. Sadly, I feel Wombat isn't ready and talking with Giles on MWS I want blue. Means cards! Some expensive cards.

DeathwingZERO
06-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Reusing decks and cards would totally be on my agenda, if there was more than the Batcave in my future for tournaments.

Seriously, I was tempted to look into apartments in Vancouver for when I move in July, just to get more Legacy. Driving up on Fridays is still terrible, no matter which bridge you're on the other side of.

And I agree with the Batcave analysis. I'm pretty certain we're going to see about 25% FoW turnout, if not higher. I know Bardo for sure will have his Thresh list, Pinder more than likely will stick to Counterslivers, and there's going to be 2-4 Landstill builds, for sure.

With that in mind, TES is sounding like a very bad call, but Ichorid is still sounding pretty good. It's got good resilience, the only problem would be seeing more than a fair share of Stifles or GY hate.

Volt
06-09-2008, 08:58 PM

Jak
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Reusing decks and cards would totally be on my agenda, if there was more than the Batcave in my future for tournaments.

Seriously, I was tempted to look into apartments in Vancouver for when I move in July, just to get more Legacy. Driving up on Fridays is still terrible, no matter which bridge you're on the other side of.

And I agree with the Batcave analysis. I'm pretty certain we're going to see about 25% FoW turnout, if not higher. I know Bardo for sure will have his Thresh list, Pinder more than likely will stick to Counterslivers, and there's going to be 2-4 Landstill builds, for sure.

With that in mind, TES is sounding like a very bad call, but Ichorid is still sounding pretty good. It's got good resilience, the only problem would be seeing more than a fair share of Stifles or GY hate.

Ichorid would be a really good choice. I hope someone brings it just so it will come into the meta.

I really hope I can get a good list together and be able to buy and recieve the cards in time. If that doesn't happen, looks like its Wombat because I feel most comfortable playing with it in that meta. I don't feel comfortable with my RW list though because I haven;t had time to test with finals.

Jak
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Someone told me recently that Other Worlds has been having weekly Legacy tournaments on Sundays. I may have to check it out this weekend...

Where is that?

Volt
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Where is that?

Other Worlds (http://www.otherworldsgames.com/)

frogboy
06-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Don: I decide to let you win a tournament, and this is how you show gratitude? :(

Jak
06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Other Worlds (http://www.otherworldsgames.com/)

Looks sweet. $20 is not bad at all for prize support. Anyone planning on going?

AngryTroll
06-09-2008, 11:58 PM
What did the Wombat list look like?

Alright, alright, I can tell you about the "Wombat" list. You will be dissapointed. Chris was being polite when he said it was "suboptimal."

I know it ran Sunscour, Akroma, Exalted Angel, Swords, Chrome Mox, Howling Mine, Sacred Mesa, Martyr of Sands, and was always at about a billion life. It was not a good deck. I was very embarassed that it top-eighted and I did not.

Funny story: Abe Dazed a hardcast Akroma, Angel of Wrath in game two of the first round of the Top 8. The guy tried to cast the Chrome Mox in his hand, with the white card to imprint, to pay it. Abe told him he couldn't, so the guy went on about how Chrome Mox works...it was funny, maybe you had to see it.

Pinder
06-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Abe told him he couldn't, so the guy went on about how Chrome Mox works...it was funny, maybe you had to see it.

No no, I'm pretty sure anyone trying to hardcast a Mox during the resolution of a spell, and then trying to argue their way out of it, in the Top 8 of a tournament, is pretty universally hilarious.

Way to represent, Washington metagame!

frogboy
06-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Last summer, I Dazed someone on the bubble when he had CB/Top and two mana; he topped, popped a fetch, topped, missed on 2cc twice, took fourteen from Price of Progress, and died.

Jak
06-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Alright, alright, I can tell you about the "Wombat" list. You will be dissapointed. Chris was being polite when he said it was "suboptimal."

I know it ran Sunscour, Akroma, Exalted Angel, Swords, Chrome Mox, Howling Mine, Sacred Mesa, Martyr of Sands, and was always at about a billion life. It was not a good deck. I was very embarassed that it top-eighted and I did not.

Funny story: Abe Dazed a hardcast Akroma, Angel of Wrath in game two of the first round of the Top 8. The guy tried to cast the Chrome Mox in his hand, with the white card to imprint, to pay it. Abe told him he couldn't, so the guy went on about how Chrome Mox works...it was funny, maybe you had to see it.

:rolleyes: Lame. I was hoping this random guy found the secret. Maybe if I had gone I would have done a little better with an "optimal" build.

Pinder
06-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Last summer, I Dazed someone on the bubble when he had CB/Top and two mana; he topped, popped a fetch, topped, missed on 2cc twice, took fourteen from Price of Progress, and died.

:eek:

I mean, I Spell Snared a Daze once, but there's a limit.

Yawgmoth
06-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Here’s my list.

3 Bloodstained Mire
4 Windswept Heath
3 Bayou
3 Scrubland
2 Savannah
2 Swamp
1 Plains
2 Forest
2 Nantuko Monastery
1 Volrath's Stronghold

4 Tarmogoyf
4 Dark Confidant
2 Tombstalker
3 Doran, the Siege Tower
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Vindicate
4 Pernicious Deed
2 Cabal Therapy
2 Eternal Witness

Just for the record I’m 2/3 for winning Mirkwood tourneys and 3/3 for top 4. I really need to go there more often.

Report in 2 sentences; in the Swiss I went 3-0-1, beating Faries, Aggro Loam, Dreadnought and splitting with Deadguy. Top 8 I beat Goblins then Burn.

DeathwingZERO
06-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Looks sweet. $20 is not bad at all for prize support. Anyone planning on going?

If this guy actually has his shop open this time, I'd be up for it myself. Gonna have to ask him about a sliding scale for prize support though. $5 for $20 first place is cool with 4 people, but not with like 16. But I can't get my hopes up, Ancient Wonders didn't even get 16 people.

AngryTroll
06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Gamestate:
Top Eight, round one. Chris is playing against Gru Survival.
Chis has a Countryside Crusher in play, and it is getting huge. It finally amasses 16 counters, making it larger than the 18/18 Quirion Dryad that was holding the record for "Biggest Creature of the Day". Of course, to get it to this size, he has been dredging like crazy, and Countryside Crusher has been doing his thing, hitting lots of land.

Chris' Crusher is now the largest creature of the day! He's obviously compensating for his tiny deck size.

Volt
06-12-2008, 10:45 PM

DeathwingZERO
06-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Alright, I'm down for showing up on Sunday to the Other Worlds place and find out if they are actually doing tournaments.

Who else wants to come along and get crushed?

Volt
06-12-2008, 10:49 PM

DeathwingZERO
06-12-2008, 10:55 PM
I will be there to thwart your plans for domination. Wanna go see The Incredible Hulk afterwards?

Dude, you always try to bring down my plans to control the universe, then sideswipe me with better plans.

Ya, I'm down for that.

Volt
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM

Jak
06-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I might show. Just wondering, how far away this place is from the Tigard area?

Volt
06-13-2008, 12:00 AM

munkie
06-13-2008, 12:15 AM
$20 entry and you win Seas for first and dick for anything else? Fuck that. I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country so I B]CAN'T[/B] go to this. If I was there, I still wouldn't go.

We have morals on the East Coast.

Jak
06-13-2008, 12:18 AM
$20 entry and you win Seas for first and dick for anything else? Fuck that. I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country so I B]CAN'T[/B] go to this. If I was there, I still wouldn't go.

Quality post!

DeathwingZERO
06-13-2008, 03:23 AM

You also have a much more condensed gaming populace. We've been over the very large lack of shops willing to even do tournaments.

And I'm pretty sure "based on attendance" doesn't mean "dick". GTFO of our West Coast thread, ya QQ'ing East Coaster!!

munkie
06-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Yeah I'll be QQing my way into three round byes in Any GP or large event in any format. But thanks.