PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Dreadstill almost gets there (again) 9th at Hadley

J.V.
05-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Prologue: Roob and I leave Wareham for Jaynel's house at about 6:45pm on Friday.We get to Jared's exit in quick time, Mapquest estimated 55 Minutes we were there in 30. There is road work being down near Jared's house. Unfortunately we don't know the area and are literally 10 minutes away from his house but it takes us an Extra hour to get there. After we get to Jared's we all decide we'll just go to Aaron's (Slay) house in Worcester now instead of picking him up in the morning. We get there around 10ish and get some Honey BBQ Chicken wings from Wings and then play some magic before going to bed. We get up at about 10:00am and are out the door heading for Hadley at about 10:30am. We have a smooth drive and arrive just after noon....

The Library tournament had a showing of 36 players, giving us 6 rounds with cut to top 8. I naturally continued my streak and came in 9th at the end of swiss.

Decklist:
Lands:20
4 Mishra's Factory
3 Wasteland
3 Polluted Delta
3 Flooded Strand
2 Tropical Island
5 Island

Creatures:9
4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
3 Trinket Mage
2 Tarmogoyf

Noncreature Spells:31
4 Brainstorm
4 Stifle
4 Force of Will
4 Standstill
3 Daze
3 Spell Snare
3 Counterbalance
2 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Trickbind

Sideboard:15
3 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Krosan Grip
2 Pithing Needle
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Echoing Truth
2 Gaea's Blessing (There were a few painter decks, sadly I didn't play any.)
1 Tarmogoyf

Matches:
Round 1:Boss_Of_The_Game (Belcher)
G1: He opens with a turn 1 combo and Land Grant showing me 2 Belchers. I Daze a belcher and take my turn. He attempts to play the 2nd belcher and I force. I drop a Nought in on my next turn and kill him 2 turns later.
G2:I keep a hand With 2x FOW, BS, Polluted Delta, Island, Tarmogoyf, Stifle After Forceing a B-Wish and Stifling an Empty, Goyf gets there.
Rounds: 1-0 Games: 2-0

Round 2:Insertnamehere (Dragon Stompy)
G1: He mulls down to five and I blow up his Chrome Mox's we EE Red mana screwing him. I Drop A Nought and he scoops.
G2: I Force like 3 spells and kill him with a Nought.
Rounds 2-0 Games:4-0

Round 3:Slay (Dragon Stompy)
G1: Slay's amazing luck against me continues after I force his turn 1 and 2 Trinisphere and he top decks the third and resolves it on turn 3. Since I was stuck on 2 lands the Dragon comes down a turn later and I'm dead quickly.
G2: Very similar to game 1 but I have only 1 Force and a BEB.
Rounds 2-1 Games 4-2

Round 4:Nickrit2000 (Canadian Thresh)
G1: I can't find any creatures and 2 Mongeese go the distance.
G2: I get a Nought in but he topdecks ancient grudge (with Force back up) a turn later and his Mongoose and Goyf do me in.
Rounds 2-2 Games 4-4

Round 5:Konsultant (Landstill)
G1: Me and Geoff play a game of Draw-Go under his Standstill. I then topdeck 3 Factory's in a row and they go the distance.
G2: Geoff Drops a Halo on just about all of my win cons and beats with a few factory's and then 4 soldier tokens off of Decree.
G3: Geoff and I have a race between His eternal dragon and my 3 Mishra's Factory's (He had sworded a Nought of mine.) Eventually I have 2 Factories and a Trinket Mage and he has just his Dragon but is at 4 life and I swing in there for lethal, he attempts to cycle decree but I stifle his tokens.
Rounds:3-2 Games 6-5

Round 5:RoddyVR (5c Sliver Survival)
Game 1: I get down CB/T and drop 2 Noughts, it is over quickly.
Game 2: I spell Snare and force about 6 slivers and a pair of Tarmogoyfs take him down.
Round 4-2 Games 8-5

Postlogue:
And just like in Pawtucket one 4-2 sneaks in and I'm out with 9th place just barely on tiebreaks.

Props:
-Slay for letting us crash at his house.
-Kevin for hosting another awesome event.
-Bryant for signing my Jap Tendrils and Empty.
-Dreadstill for being really good
-Still not coming anywhere close to Matt's 9th streak.
Slops:
-Roob for going to time twice.
-Slay's amazing luck.
-Jaynel's stupid town and it closed roads.
-Roodmistah for going fishing instead of fulfilling his cardboard crack addiction.

Bryant Cook
05-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Maybe it's a sign not to play that crappy deck.

J.V.
05-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Might be. :laugh:

TrialByFire
05-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Props:

-Still not coming anywhere close to Matt's 9th streak.

LOL you have 6 more in row to go just to tie me.

Slops:

-Roodmistah for going fishing instead of fulfilling his cardboard crack addiction.

J.V.
05-25-2008, 11:27 AM
LOL you have 6 more in row to go just to tie me.

I have no intention of getting there.:tongue:

Shriekmaw
05-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe it's a sign not to play that crappy deck.

I have to agree, I don't think Dreadstill is very good. I was surprised on how many people played it over there. The major concern I have with the deck is the lack of removal. I don't believe you can rely on the top/counterbalance lock all the time.

Congrads on everyone that make top 8.

Also, for the record. Canadian Threshold is the best threshold deck in the format b/c of the matchups all arcross the board.

HammafistRoob
05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
You can think what you want to think, there were 4 Dreadstill decks there.
one made top4
one made top8
one got 9th
and one got 11th

I don't think your deck is very good because it gets spanked by Ichorid.

Sanguine Voyeur
05-25-2008, 06:26 PM
How can you claim to have a better Ichorid matchup? You maybe have a single Crypt game one and a small chance at a two turn clock.

J.V.
05-25-2008, 06:31 PM
actaully Ichorid really isn't that bad, you have mainboard tutorable explosives, you can counter there discard outlets, Stifle cephalid c, you have a fast clock, goyf is huge in the matchup, and you can do techy things to remove bridges (ex. Drop a nought and don't stifle it, animate a factory and waste it, etc) The post side you get crypts and echoing truth's which are both strong. But hey I never claimed its a possitive matchup, its just very winnable.

Also, can we please not turn my report into a Dreadstill is good/sucks thread. Look at the results it puts up and actually try the deck before you bash it.

Bane of the Living
05-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Yea Bryant was cheering for Goblins to beat me in our game three because he thought Dreadstill sucked too much for TES to sit across the table from.

Right? =)

J.V.
05-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Yea Bryant was cheering for Goblins to beat me in our game three because he thought Dreadstill sucked too much for TES to sit across the table from.

Right? =)

I think he just wanted a library.

Isamaru
06-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Shouldn't you just play 4 Goyf mainboard?

It sounds like it would have helped in a lot of those games, at the least.

J.V.
06-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Actually I found Goyfs to be underwhelming a lot of the tournament, you often have a few in your hand and wish they were something else. I'm actually considering switching my splash colors and adding more Spell Snares/Dazes/Trinket Mages.

On another note, the one matchup they do shine in is the mirror.