PDA

View Full Version : UWb landstill takes 12th @ PT side

thefreakaccident
06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
I know, this is very late, and it probably should not be written at this point, however, my friends/Funklings think that I should get this out there.

Anyways, the tourney was scheduled for 2 o'clock in the afternoon, on sunday may 25th.

Me, one of my fellow team funk members, Jake, and my father and little sister all drove up on saturday. I no longer drive, but I really wanted to go, so that is what I resorted to.

Anyways, we spent saturday night making last minute adjustments to Funkbrew's sideboard, and last minute mental preparation for specific MUs.

We got there very early before the tourney, met up with some locals we knew, and played around for a little bit before the tourney started.

This is the list I played:

lands//25
3 plains
2 island
2 underground sea
1 scrubland
4 tundra
4 flooded strand
2 polluted delta
4 mishra's factory
1 tolaria west
1 academy ruins
1 wasteland

creatures//1
1 eternal dragon

spells//35
2 decree of justice
1 crucible of worlds
3 engineered explosives
3 wrath of god
2 humility
4 swords to plowshares
4 force of will
4 counterspell
4 standstill
4 brainstorm
3 cunning wish

sideboard//

3 runed halo
2 moat
3 engineered plague
3 extirpate
1 enlightened tutor
1 pulse of the fields
1 slaughter pact
1 dismantling blow

The list looks a little odd, but let me explain, the MUs we were expecting were out of the ordinary... meddling mage is too slow for the MUs we were expecting, and is less than effective against some decks. He iss too slow against belcher if they go for the ETW kill (turn 1-2, before he comes online), and he has the same effect as halo against belcher itself... he is also more vulnerable and so on and so forth... this was primarily a test slot, but I loved it all day over the mage.

Plague is good against agro, but moat is better, moat slows this deck down as well, but you can always make angel tokens or use the dragon, you also have the option of waiting until you sweep their board and blowing up the moat when you feel the need.

Anyways, on to the Report!

Round 1, ichorid, piloted by Nick.
I saw him building the deck previously, so I know what he is playing and I am kicking myself, as this is a terrible MU preboard.

Game 1: I won the die roll and elect to go first, My opening hand is pretty solid with swords and Cunning wish in hand, however, his is slightly better, as he tries to combo first turn, he mills 1/3 of his library only to find 1 bridge, 1 moeba, and 3 ichorids!!!

I wait to crack my polluted delta, he therapies me naming engineered explosives (WTF, right?), I reveal my hand, EOT I fetch a tundra, brainstorm into EE, wrath, land, draw EE, play my land, play EE for 0, and pass the turn.

His turn he dredges (forgets to get ichorid) and gets a moeba, which sits there for a little bit. I draw play my third land and pass, his turn he brings back all three ichorids, swings for 10 and makes some little buggers, my go, I EOT wish for extirpate, untap, EE tokens, extirpate ichorids, play land, go... eventually get humility and he decks himself. Tough game, tough dude.

Game 2: I board out some Cspells, and standstills for plagues and moat... this game I get moat after he tries to slow roll me, and he concedes (no bounce?).

record: 1-0-0

Round 2, I get called over by a judge before we started out game, apparently, I left my humilitys out of my decklist, instantly go to game 2 without sideboards. This guy's name is Galvin playing Dragon stompy.

Game 2: I keep a decent hand with FoW, and some draw/removal, 3 lands oughta do it! He gets a first turn put dragon, which gets forced, I then hit land drops and humilty leads to concession.

Game 3: I don't board in anything (very confident in this MU). Anyways, we get into a tough battle of threats vs answers, and I cat standstill on a clean board, he responds by getting in a sulfer elemental... I have to trade my only factory with it (he already had jitte on board). We sit there until I draw decree, I cycle it for about 7 dudes, and he has 2 pyrokesis for them, I fow one and kill him with my 3 1/1 dudes.

record: 2-0-0

Round 3: Against Dylan (Gambit) playing armageddon stax.

Game 1: he leads off pretty strong with some elements I didn't feel I needed to counter, however I draw dead for a long while (I thin 6 straight turns drawing wraths/swords... no countermagaic all game), he casts armageddon and it is game.

Game 2: he leads with a first turn defense grid, I fow, second turn trinisphere, I say OK (got 3 lands and CS), he casts 2 defense grids next turn.. GG after armageddon... (pretty godly, but I am a good sport).

record: 2-1-0

Round 4: Ben, playing green challice agro.

Game 1: takes forever! He keeps playing tangle wires, and he has wall of roots to use his ports on my upkeep before the trigger, we both remained tapped out for quite some time until I sweep the board and cast standstill. I win when we go to time.

Game 2: we somehow got an extension, as there was a mix-up on the times with the judges and ben got very angry about that, so we got some extra time (means nothing for me, the control deck).. I control the board until time is called, he scoops to me (woulda won anyways).

record: 3-1-0

Round 5: I did not get the correct spellng of his name, but it was pronounced Yalll (I think?)... he is playing BWG survival.

Game one: he leads off with goyfs, some thoughtseizes, some witnesses, and a genesis... I think he is playing rock, we go back and forth until he scoops to humilty lock (MD answer is a critter).

Game 2: he has a bunch of survivals, I counter 2, he witnesses, I cast standstill, he has 2 cards in hand, and I have hate up the yin yang in my hand, he breaks standstill for the survival, I counter, I then wrath away his critters and go agro with 4 mishra's factories (that's right, all 4!!!). I boarded nothing for this game, and he boarded 3 grips.

Record: 4-1-0

Round 6: Luis playing dreadstill. He tells me I am a favorable MU, and he has a better chance of doing well, and that I should scoop to him, I roll my die and elect to play first.

Game 1: I lead with explosives@1, and pass, I then proceed to draw lots of land, however, he seems to be trying to CB lock me (OMG, thank god he is a shitty player), I hit like 6 more lands, and get an EE, I use 3 blue and a white to set it @2, but still get around his counterbalances (he doesn't run anything 4cc, and he runds snares and dazes and FoWs... I know it will resolve, which it does!).... I control the board shortly after and we go to game 2.

I board in nothing, everything is good, I think he boards in needle but never sees it.

Game 2:He starts off with a land and says go, I fetch, he stifles, his turn he plays dreadnought, I Fow, he Fows, I swords it on my turn and shortly win theeafter.

Record: 5-1-0

Round 7: Rhett (cool name) playing kiddy burn, featuring MD sulfuric vortex and price of progress.

Game 1: she gets some early burn, I counter a few things to keep from dying, she casts vortex before I can pulse myself to safety.

Game 2: I board out some creature removal for my halos and extirpates.

I counter and extirpate the voortex, however she plays enough prices to run me out of countermagic, I pulse to a safe amount of life, but she suspends wheel of fate, which makes me discard my pulse, and she burns me out with her last price... smart little girl.

Record: 5-2-0

Round 8: against Cephalid Breakfast (sorry didn't write down name).

Game one: he force out vial with therapies galore, I stop him from comboing, however, I have a cunterspell for any top decks, he has his vial @ 2, and he has illusionist on table... he draws his singleton shaman en-cor, no joke, his singleton!!!! OMG, I just lost Game one to one of my better MUs, oh well.

Game 2: I board out my crucible, dragon, wasteland, and a few other things to bring in all of my plagues, extirpates, and my moats... needless To say, I raoe his mother to hell and back with plague on wizard (illusionist), and with moat on the table...

Game 3: he draws a bunch of therapies again, gets rid of my entire hand through flashing back and all that nonsense... I have humilty on table, but he has echoing truth, he therapies me naming CS, I have FoW, CS, swords, and some lands in play, I only have enough lands to CS and swords, I counterspell the therapy, he bounces my humilty, combos, therpies blindly (I would have named it anyways) hitting my swords and swings for lethal.

Record: 5-3-0

I end up in 12th due to pairings, I would have been in top 8 had I beaten the ichorid dude.

Almost there, but I did better than any of the other San Diego people that attended...

I got some packs (oh well), and went on my way home for a 2 hr. trip.

Slops:

Jake, for running gaddock teeg, such a pain in the ass.
Ben (from rounds) for being very rude to me, and for tapping me out for like half of our game 1.

The hotel, for not having food.

My deck for making me go to time every time.

Props:

To Jenna (my sis.) for being a champ the whole time.
Rodrigo Gonzalez and Jerry Bonner for being badass MoFos to hang out with.

To dylan for beating me 2/2 times we have played :P .

Team-Hero
06-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Dude, that Mono-Red Burn match was AWSOME! That made my day!
Props to you for that.

Gambit
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
The way I remember game one is I mull to 6 with a land and mox and very good cards against you. I draw no land for about 3 turns while you develope some, I figured at that point I had lost as I didn't play anything until about turn 4. I eventually get to 3 mana and begin to drop lock pieces, some are countered but a g-prison sticks and maybe a 3-sphere. I get beat down to 4 or so by factories with you having to spend 3 mana to activate and attack with each one, eventually you leave yourself with only 2 mana up on my turn and I armegeddon, I recover faster and that's game.
My sideboard was heavy with landstill hate, suppression fields, defense grids, etc. as during testing I was getting beat by the 4color version.

Anyway, good games, a bad matchup for you both tournaments, and I'm glad you weren't packing deeds.

Your round 6 opponent was Luis Scott Vargas, I'm suprised he made mistakes as he's a pretty well known excellent player (maybe he's not familiar with the format)

And round 8 was my friend Ben topdecking like a champ!

freakish777
06-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Wait. Do you know anything else about this kid Rhett?

Looks 12? Long blonde hair?

If this is the same person I'm thinking of (that lives in Ventura California), it's actually just a very feminine looking and sounding boy.

Gambit
06-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Wait. Do you know anything else about this kid Rhett?

Looks 12? Long blonde hair?

If this is the same person I'm thinking of (that lives in Ventura California), it's actually just a very feminine looking and sounding boy.

^^^^Yes, the VTA crew had a good showing, taking 2nd place as well.

thefreakaccident
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
The way I remember game one is I mull to 6 with a land and mox and very good cards against you. I draw no land for about 3 turns while you develope some, I figured at that point I had lost as I didn't play anything until about turn 4. I eventually get to 3 mana and begin to drop lock pieces, some are countered but a g-prison sticks and maybe a 3-sphere. I get beat down to 4 or so by factories with you having to spend 3 mana to activate and attack with each one, eventually you leave yourself with only 2 mana up on my turn and I armegeddon, I recover faster and that's game.
My sideboard was heavy with landstill hate, suppression fields, defense grids, etc. as during testing I was getting beat by the 4color version.

Anyway, good games, a bad matchup for you both tournaments, and I'm glad you weren't packing deeds.

Your round 6 opponent was Luis Scott Vargas, I'm suprised he made mistakes as he's a pretty well known excellent player (maybe he's not familiar with the format)

And round 8 was my friend Ben topdecking like a champ!

I had used my only counter on a stax, then you armageddoned... Usually I would bluff the Cspell, but I was not going to do so, as that never changes stax's descisions in the slightest (at least against my previous opponents anyways).

I am not going to lie though, I was very angry that he top-decked the shaman, as I have a shit- ton of answers for anything else, and would have dropped humility next turn (with counter backup)... but that's magic, right?

Luis seemed shitty when I played him, however, if he is unfamiliar with the format, that can severely change playstyles.