Page 111 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2259

Thread: [Deck] Mono-Blue Control (MUC)

Re: [Deck] Mono-Blue Control (MUC)

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Abrupt decay/Red elemental Blast/Pyroblast are problematic, which is why nobody plays this deck anymore since those 2 cards are in pretty much every tier 1 deck.
    So now that Top is banned, it means two things for this deck:

- Less Abrupt Decay in the format
    - Many more nonbasic lands in the format (Miracles played alot of basics)

So the Shackles + Back to Basics combination suddenly became alot better in Legacy. Is this deck a playable "control" deck now?

I'm (stupidly) thinking about sleeving this deck up for GP Vegas. The deck has never been unplayable imo. Yes decay hurts, but it hurts many other decks just as bad. We got a decent wincon in Torrential Gearhulk from Kaladash. The biggest question is going to be whether Mono-U is any better than U/x at being a control deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I'm (stupidly) thinking about sleeving this deck up for GP Vegas. The deck has never been unplayable imo. Yes decay hurts, but it hurts many other decks just as bad. We got a decent wincon in Torrential Gearhulk from Kaladash. The biggest question is going to be whether Mono-U is any better than U/x at being a control deck.
    I've also never understood why people considered this deck as dead. Shackles and B2B are highly potent cards that not too many decks where/are actually prepared to deal with reliably. Yes, there is A.Decay but usually you run a sufficient number of potential targets for their few Decays and let's also not forget that we have V.Clique at our disposal which is a way to handle Decay's too. Clique should always be run in maindeck in my view because it's decent in all matchups, can act as removal (if unexpected) but first and foremost significantally improves combo MUs and helps to deal with Planeswalkers.

And to be honest, I've never quite understood why people considered A.Decay that much of a problem for this deck. It's not as if it was solely dependent on Back to Basics or Shackles alone for functioning well. I've always deemed this deck as a board control deck with access to counter magic and viewed the permanents like Shackles and B2B rather as supplements than as actual goals of the deck. It's also reasonable to pursue different strategies and not to rely solely on one admittedly easily hateable B2B strategy.

As for the finisher you suggested: I can hardly see why it would be much better than existing alternatives. Aetherling is still better imo (because it really is immune to pretty much everything if played right, i.e. with enough open mana) and you need that one 100% inevitable win con. Since you ought to run only 1 or 2 CC6 old school finishers anyways in my view, Aetherling should be prefered.

This is a list I came up with some time ago but that has proved pretty decent:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 6 Artifact
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    3 Ratchet Bomb

// 4 Creature
    3 Vendilion Clique
    1 Aetherling

// 3 Enchantment
    3 Back to Basics

// 17 Instant
    4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Impulse
    2 Cryptic Command
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Repeal

// 23 Land
    4 Scalding Tarn
    19 Island

// 3 Planeswalker
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Ancestral Vision

CounterTop is banned no excuses for less than 4 Chalice in MUControl

Brainstorm is an excuse to not run chalice. To that end, I think the list posted above needs brainstorm as well, there's no good reason to not be playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    Brainstorm is an excuse to not run chalice. To that end, I think the list posted above needs brainstorm as well, there's no good reason to not be playing it.
    Can you provide a good reason then why Brainstorm needs to be played in the list or in mono blue control in general other than the deck being blue and therefore has to play brainstorm? Stop assuming that everything that can afford to play it also has to do so. Brainstorm is rather mediocre and lackluster in control decks like these and doesn't contribute anything particularly helpful to realize this deck's goals. If one dares to think outside of the established categories you would quickly realize that it doesn't add anything valuable to the deck. It just doesn't do anything, it neither generates CA nor influences the game state or helps to get ahead or gain control of the game (which should always be the primary goals). It forces you to play fetchlands, thus destabilizes the mana base and further weakens aggro MUs due to the repeated life loss. All it does is add some consistency that you can get by good and balanced card choices as well.

My sceptical view on Brainstorm in decks like these is by the way nothing all too uncommon and is actually shared by quite a few other players and has a long tradition, see for example the original post of this thread from almost a decade ago.

What about Trophy Mage as "card advantage" ?
    She can tutor Shackles, any Sword of XY as win con and perhaps Crucible of Worlds, which leads me to the question: Why not play Mox Diamond to get Chalice earlier?
    Crucible would also be an option to advance the board state by repeatable Fetchland abuse, but no idea if that's worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Can you provide a good reason then why Brainstorm needs to be played in the list or in mono blue control in general other than the deck being blue and therefore has to play brainstorm? Stop assuming that everything that can afford to play it also has to do so. Brainstorm is rather mediocre and lackluster in control decks like these and doesn't contribute anything particularly helpful to realize this deck's goals. If one dares to think outside of the established categories you would quickly realize that it doesn't add anything valuable to the deck. It just doesn't do anything, it neither generates CA nor influences the game state or helps to get ahead or gain control of the game (which should always be the primary goals). It forces you to play fetchlands, thus destabilizes the mana base and further weakens aggro MUs due to the repeated life loss. All it does is add some consistency that you can get by good and balanced card choices as well.

My sceptical view on Brainstorm in decks like these is by the way nothing all too uncommon and is actually shared by quite a few other players and has a long tradition, see for example the original post of this thread from almost a decade ago.
    The question was asked: what's the excuse to not run chalice, brainstorm is a possible answer, but I do think the idea of running chalice is better. However in the above list, there's definitely a case for brainstorm. While it may be mediocre, you'll often be much happier to see a midgame brainstorm than an ancestral recall. In short, you need the filtering in my opinion, and I think you'll get more milage out of 4 brainstorm than 4 ancestral recall. I also think brainstorm is a much better card for filtering than impulse, as it essentially lets you unmulligan bad hands. If you still want card advantage, there's Jace and maybe fact or fiction (which I've liked in MUC in the past). Feel free to prove me wrong though.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

My older list from basically pre-miracles(like around when its the fear was a thing?)... Actually seems to be testing decent in the current meta, at least on cockatrice.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 9 Artifact
    2 Journeyer's Kite (instead of 2 islands, was sick back in the day and still is awesome.)
    3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    1 Oblivion Stone

// 2 Creature
    2 Sphinx of Jwar Isle

// 5 Enchantment
    2 Back to Basics
    3 Energy Field

// 18 Instant
    4 Repeal
    3 Cunning Wish
    4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    3 Cryptic Command

// 22 Land
    22 Island

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Ancestral Vision

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre

// 10 Instant
    SB: 1 Dominate
    SB: 1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    SB: 1 Evacuation
    SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 1 Spell Burst
    SB: 1 Capsize
    SB: 1 Hibernation
    SB: 1 Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 1 Ravenous Trap
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    Team FireBrothers

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstorm View Post
    My older list from basically pre-miracles(like around when its the fear was a thing?)... Actually seems to be testing decent in the current meta, at least on cockatrice.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 9 Artifact
    2 Journeyer's Kite (instead of 2 islands, was sick back in the day and still is awesome.)
    3 Chalice of the Void
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    1 Oblivion Stone

// 2 Creature
    2 Sphinx of Jwar Isle

// 5 Enchantment
    2 Back to Basics
    3 Energy Field

// 18 Instant
    4 Repeal
    3 Cunning Wish
    4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    3 Cryptic Command

// 22 Land
    22 Island

// 4 Sorcery
    4 Ancestral Vision

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt

// 2 Creature
    SB: 2 Faerie Macabre

// 10 Instant
    SB: 1 Dominate
    SB: 1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    SB: 1 Evacuation
    SB: 1 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 1 Spell Burst
    SB: 1 Capsize
    SB: 1 Hibernation
    SB: 1 Hurkyl's Recall
    SB: 1 Ravenous Trap
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    That list looks sweet. I'm going to test the following 60 when I have a chance, not sure what I'll try for the board.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 9 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Vedalken Shackles

// 6 Creature
    3 Vendilion Clique
    3 True-Name Nemesis

// 7 Enchantment
    3 Back to Basics
    4 Propaganda

// 15 Instant
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    3 Cryptic Command
    2 Fact or Fiction
    3 Flusterstorm

// 23 Land
    23 Island

Nov 2007
    Finland

Outside Brainstorm, Chalice sucks with your cheap counters like Pierce, Snare, Dispel and such.

You need Brainstorm in your blue control deck to avoid having the wrong cards at wrong times.

Also, play Jace.

The issue with Decay is that it means your Bug matchups are terrible when all your hardcore control cards get hit by it through your wall of counterspells.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Here's the list I'm brewing with

22 lands
    4 Wastelands
    1 Academy Ruins
    Islands + fetches rest

4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Pirece
    3 Repeal
    3 Dismember
    3 Back to Basics
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 JTMS
    2 Torrential Gearhulk
    2 Standstill
    2 Shackles
    2 Ponder
    1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

Sb:
    4 Energy Field
    3 True-name Nemesis
    (unfinished)

First off I think Wasteland is 100% needed for this deck, otherwise Show and tell decks pretty much auto win with a early Boseju, Cavern of Souls is also a issue we have to deal with.

The rest of the deck is pretty standard except for Gearhulks, mainly because I don't think tapping out on your turn is a good idea with a hard control deck. The argument will be that once you control the game you can freely cast Aetherling with out worrying, but in that cast any wincon would be good enough, evasion or not. Gearhulk is not as evasive Aetherling but it comes down just as fast, can takeout their wincon while being yours meaning it's a huge tempo swing many times, while also doubles as a emergency counterspell/removal that helps you control the board. With Academy Ruins it also recurs at least once giving you another wincon when needed.

Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is something I'm testing out. I feel like many combo decks just can't deal with a resolved Teferi because they can't remove him and also can't win counter wars to push their wincon through.

Sideboard choices include Energy Field because I feel burn is probably one of this deck's worst match ups. Energy Field + TNN pretty much auto wins against burn unless you miss a butt load of land drops and have to discard. For the rest of the SB cards I'm thinking Spellskite, because I imagine infect is also a horrendous match for this deck. I'm also toying with Chalice and maybe Mishras Factories + more Standstill to turn full Landstill post board againest non wasteland decks.

Hi guys !

This is my list, stealing a lot from new miracles wich I play too :

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Portent
    4 Predict

4 Set Adrift
    4 Vanishment

4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell

3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Vendilion Clique

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainsforest
    11 Island

What the cards do :
    Brainstorm fills the graveyard for Set Adrift's reduction cost and sets up Predict and Vanishment.
    Ponder fills the graveyard and sets up Predict.
    Portent same as Ponder but lets you miracle in your opponent's turn and shuffle their library after Vanishment/Set Adrift.
    Predict is easy to set up with this deck and comboes with Vanishment/Set Adrift.
    Set Adrift and Vanishment are removals that need set up before and after to truly shine. Their sequencings are really important.
    FoW and Counterspell are possible follow up for Vanishment and Set Adrift.
    Jace is the win con and MVP of the deck. He draws card to fill the graveyard for Set Adrift, he bottoms Set Adrift and Vanishment target, sets up Predict and Vanishment, bounces Clique's future target, etc.
    Snapcaster Mage is not as great as if we played Swords to Plowshares but fashbacking Counterspell, cantrips and sometimes Set Adrift or Vanishment feels good.
    Clique is disruption to clear the path for a Jace and follows Set Adrift, Vanishment, Jace's bounce.

Here is a list of interactions the deck relies on :

Set Adrift as removal :
    Set Adrift + FOW
    Set Adrift + Portent (targeting opponent and shuffle) (cost UU)
    Set Adrift + Predict your opponent (cost 1UU)
    Set Adrift + Counterspell (cost UUU)
    Set Adrift + Vendilion Clique (cost 1UUU)
    Set Adrift + Jace TMS on board and his fateseal ability
    Remember we play lots of cantrips, instants and fetchlands to grow the graveyard.

To set up a Predict :
    Brainstorm + Predict
    Ponder + Predict
    Portent + Predict
    Vanishment + Predict
    Set Adrift + Predict
    Jace + Predict
    Vanishment + Predict

To set up a Vanishment :
    Brainstorm, Ponder, Portent, Jace and then follow up just like in the Set Adrift section.

Back to Basics must be somewhere but I don't know what to remove. BtB makes every bounce a strong removal when your opponent cast recast the target. Then if I play BtB, I want some Vapor Snag in the Vanishment/Set Adrift slots because easier to flashback and requires no set up (after a BtB anyway). Maybe the last Set Adrift should be a Vedalken Shackles.

Counterbalance is in my maybe list because it prevents opponent's replay after bouncing with Set Adrift and Vanishment or Jace so it can be in the Clique's slot.

So maybe - 3 Clique and + 1 Back to basics and 2 Counterbalance and - 1 Vanishment and 1 Set Adrift and + 1 Vapor Snag + 1 Vedalken Shackles.
    Last edited by Kagehisa; 03-11-2018 at 05:15 AM.

Hi ya'll. Trying to build up my little brothers MUC build. Any pointers would be appreciated. Haven't played or been on in a while so I obviously don't know the meta anymore. I can not believe how expensive Flusterstorm is now!!! Here is the list we are rocking...

Lands
    10x Island
    2x Misty Rainforest
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Wasteland

Istant/Sorcery
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder
    4x Counterspell
    4x Force of Will
    2x Psionic Blast
    4x Stifle

Creatures
    1x Talrand Sky Summoner
    2x Snapcastermage
    4x Phyrexian Dreadnaught
    4x Delver of Secrets
    4x True-name Nemesis

Other
    3x Jace the Mindsculptor
    2x Vedalken Shackles

S/B
    4x Chill
    3x Back to Basics
    4x Flusterstorm
    4x Propoganda

The deck plays a more aggressive mainboard and switches out to a much more control like build against weak matches like burn and creature based decks. Perhaps psionic blast is too antiquated but it seems decent against other Jaces and creatures, fun to play off snapcaster. Comments appreciated. Have a good day!
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

"Normal" approach to MUC building I think don't work well at the moment.
    The "classic" lock strategies (Back to Basics + Propaganda + Ratchet Bomb + Vedalken Shackles) is way too slow to set.

Remember we can die of Shaman activations, opponent snapcaster, opponent nemesis, opponent vendilion ...
    A Gurmag Angler can come down on turn 3 ... Shackles can take him from turn 5 ...
    and so on.

I try to build with your help

So what do we need ?
    -> Lifegain
    -> Alternative plans, faster plans

First of all _ Why nobody thinks True-Name Nemesis is the coolest card for this deck ?
    It can kill opponent (Jaces)
    It can stay defense
    When you have multiple copies you can do both things
    It gets immediately a 4X slot

Having Nemsis as a must, I suggest to have something to attach to it, so that we can have some lifegain
    Jitte, Batterskull and Basilisk Collar (if Trinket Mage) are the possibile cards. Probabely a single batterskull can work good because it creates his creature by him self, if a Nemesis is on play we can attach to it. Batterskull is out new Ætherling at the moment. Batterskull on Nemesis is like god.

Lets' do the rest.
    4 Counterspells and 4 Force of Will are to my view a must

What do we have in the format ? A lot of nonbasic lands (there is even a 4c Control deck LoL) and a lot o Deathrite shaman who can do mana... and a lot of Snapcasters. We have to stop them. To stop them we have to slow them. How do decks in the metagame accelerate mana or race ? With their GRAVEYARD ! (Shaman, Gurmag, Lands decks, Rug Decks etc.) -> 3/4 copies of Relic of Progenitus maindeck seems a good start to me. They are good even in multiple copies because they cicle themself (and sometimes can "store" cards against decks who use lots of black discard spells).

3 X Back to Basics + 3 X Relic of Progenitus slow down a lot of decks

The drawback of Relic is that it makes Snapcaster Mage less powerful for us ... but also for opponents.
    So I am tended not to use snapcaster. An other reason why I am not a fan of Snapcaster in monoblue is that it has few (and horrible) remouval istant spells to flashback. The best target is Brainstorm. Rarely you can use him to attack ... because opponents are very pleased to find a target to their remouval spells that they have in hand (Same reason why using Mishra's Factory is to my view stupid ... we have so little target to oppos' remouvals that they immediately die ... unless we give them a lot of targets ... ).

How do we block opponents creatures to kill us ? (Please I don't believe I can counter enought ... most decks run 9/10 counters too, even if they are fast beaters). Propaganda and Powder Keg / Ratchet Bomb and Shackles are good but slow (Propaganda way too slow).
    What about Ensnaring Bridge ? Can he be out new Energy Field ? I am corius to test him 3/4 copies. Probabely with 2 Misdirection mainboard, 2 Engineered Explosives.

As for Draw Engine and card selection
    please, please, do not use orribile cards like Think Twice (even Hieroglyphic Illumination is better, at least to draw 1 it cost U and not 1U, and to draw two it does not go under spell snare) or Ancestral Vision (also known as the worse topdeck of legacy).
    Use Brainstorm, some other cantrips, Jace, The Mindsculptor, creatures like Trinket Mage, spells who do also some things (like Criptic Command), Predict if you use 9/10/11 cantrips and the delve spell in sinergy.

Nimble Obstructionist is quite interesting.
    It makes as a "stile" + Draw on opponents' ability cycling for 2U
    (Only opponents, we cannot use it with a Dreadnought)
    The best "stifling" that it cames to my mind is a T3 fetch or on an opponents' planeswalker activation (e.g. stifle ultimate).
    Cycling cannot be countered but stifled back.
    The body (3/1, flying, flash) is decent good also played as creature.

One more thing. Misthollow Griffin in interesting too with:
    - Chrome Mox (not, not, not Mox Diamond who takes you 24 slots for lands + 4 slots for him ... to much) Chrome Mox is way better.
    - Force of Will
    - Misdirection
    - Manipulate Fate maybe, not sure
    - Relic of Progenitus (when Griffin dies, lategame, we remouve and play again ...)
    - with a deck with Thirst for Knowledge, Relic and a number of artifacts

Whir of Invention is interesting too. A lot. And Tezzeret The Seeker even more (especially if you play relic, chrome mox, some other artifacts etc.

Hope to have put on field new ideas even if not shaped ideas

May 2010
    bologna, italy

I'm trying a Mono-U Control Combo
    I don't know if it could be considered as a MUC

20 mana sources ( 3 ancient Tomb + 4 fetchlands + 1 Academy Ruins + Islands)

1 Tezzeret the Seeker

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Whir of Invention

4 Force of Will
    4 other counters
    2 Hydroblast

2 Back to Basics

2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Pithing Needle

4 Painter Servant
    4 Grinstone

Sideboard
    2 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    2 Thopter Spy Network
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    etc.

You can play this deck both as a control, both as a combo.
    For example you can side out 3 grindstone for 3 blasts and protect painter and you can blast opponents spells or permanents. You can stall the game with Bridge and or Back to Basics and kill opponenet via Tezzeret finish ability.
    You can do lots of things.
    You can even use
    Dreadnough + Stifle + Vision Charm + Winter Orb
    instead of Painter + Grindstone + hydroblast.

Whir of Invention is a card so powerful that needs a mono U deck.

The Painter-Stone thread has addressed the mono-U Painter deck - you might have better luck discussing your ideas over there.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

I'm actually playing this list and it works quite well

10 Island
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Maze of Ith

(tot 24 lands)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Standstill
    2 Temporal Mastery

4 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Jace, th Mind Sculptor

4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    2 Daze
    3 Stifle

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Relic of Progenitus

Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Sower of Temptation
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Misdirection
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Dismember
    1 Capsize
    1 Batterskull
    1 Crucible of Worlds

I chose to do some denial via wasteland + daze + stifle instead of Back to Basics because nonbasic lands can help me killing Jace, stand under standstill and make damages, epecially vs opponent Planeswalkers

The package True-Name Nemesis + Maze of Ith + Ensnaring Bridge is there to be a soft wall vs opponent creatures wich you can do not counter most of times

Jace, Relic and Temporal Mastery are so flexible cards that make the deck run good.
    Especially Relic is good vs all the field because slow down Shaman, Tarmogoyf, lands based decks etc. and it does cycle itself.
    Temporal Mastery can make you often win while you are defending yourself with some Nemesis and Factories, and then you double swing to race.

Sower of Temptation is very good g2 and g3 because any opponent sides-out some remouval spells.

The sideboard cards I am very happy with are
    2 Misdirection
    3 Sower of Temptation
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Surgical Extraction
    and the other cards are quite flexible, I change them quite often

Vial decks are quite difficult to face

For sure it is not a potential tier1, but this deck works well and you never start beaten thanks to its flexibility of choices of gameplan.

What do you think ? (it takes quite a bit to test it)

I made some little changes

10 Island
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Maze of Ith

(tot 24 lands)

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Standstill
    2 Temporal Mastery

4 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Jace, th Mind Sculptor

4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    2 Daze
    3 Stifle

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Relic of Progenitus

Sideboard:

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Sower of Temptation
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Misdirection
    2 Rushing River
    2 Surgical Extraction

As far as lots of opponents side out remouval spells, I sometimes side in Revokers, Sower and Misdirection g2 and chose an aggressive gameplan.
    It is quite easy not to die because of creatures a part from Deathrite Shaman

For my test, good match ups are
    Eldrazi
    Show and Tell
    Reanimator (any colour)
    Dark Depth decks and lands decks
    Control Mirror
    Dragon Stompy

Bad match ups are
    Death and Texas and all vial deck in general
    Burn decks because MUC clock is slow

Balanced match ups are
    4C control (Decks you need to do some early denial to switch them off )
    Grixis Pyromancer (Decks you need to do some early denial to switch them off )
    Remember Deathrite Shaman is our bigger enemy
    Canadian Threshold (RUG Delver)

Hello everyone !

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Portent
    4 Predict

3 Set Adrift
    3 Vanishment
    1 Vapor Snag
    1 Vedalken Shackles

4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell

3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Counterbalance

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    11 Island

Sideboard

3 Disrupt
    3 Flusterstorm

1 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Surgical Extraction

3 Vapor Snag
    1 Vedalken Shackles

1 Talrand, Sky Summoner

The list is strong even if I lose a lot with it because of my own mistakes.
    I edited my previous post to explain my choices but to make things shorter, this is a Jace/Predict centric list.

I think MUC is viable only if you have a strong removal package like U/Wx Miracles. Unfortunately, Swords to Plowshares and Terminus are white and my attempt to represent a blue removal package is not good enough against very aggro deck. So the real deal in MUC is finding a good removal package in my opinion because against spell combo based deck, MUC is good and against tempo too thanks to the mana base.

EDIT :

I might try Search for Azcanta in MUC. I don't know why I didn't try it earlier since I own 2 of them in my UW Miracles deck. The thing is that it is not affected by Devastation Tide after it becomes a nonbasic land, which make the Back to Basics cut a first choice at moment. So maybe something like :

-1 Back to Basics
    -2 Counterbalance
    -1 Vedalken Shackles
    because Tide bounces them all

+2 Search for Azcanta
    +2 Devastation Tide

But then... Devastation Tide + Vendilion Clique is just too good later (Tide bounces Clique and opponent's permanent and you replay Clique and discard it, probleme solved) and I miss them because they clear the path (discard countermagic/Bolt effect and blocker) for Jace and are a follow up after Jace's Unsummon and I cannot cut Snapcaster Mage because they are basically Brainstorm and I just added more Miracle cards. There must be room made for at 2 or 3 Vendilion Clique. One might think that Jace and Tide are a nonbo but it is the same as playing Wrath of God and Serra's Angel in the same deck. In fact, they are good together. Jace stalls and enables/sets up Tide and Tide clear the path for Jace or rebuys him.

I will try this list :

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Portent
    3 Predict

3 Set Adrift
    3 Vanishment
    1 Repeal
    2 Devastation Tide

4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell

3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Search for Azcanta

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    11 Island

Sideboard

3 Flusterstorm
    2 Counterbalance

3 Surgical Extraction

2 Vedalken Shackles
    2 Vapor Snag
    1 Engineered Explosives

2 Back to Basics
    Last edited by Kagehisa; 03-12-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Thread Information