2 Fact or Fiction
    2 Dominate

3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Nimble Obstructionist
    2 Jace, the mindsculpter

6 fetchs
    12 Island
    4 Wasteland

IMHO theres not reason to play MUC unless you're jamming Back to Basics (and shackles to a lesser extent), if you're not running B2B then adding any other color would make the deck stronger, so I think maindeck B2B is a must.

This is the rough list I'm working on...I am unsure about 2x Fact or Fiction, I might very well replace them with 2 more win cons like Clique or even Teferi. The idea is to keep the board clear, flash in a guy eot and lock the board with Standstill. I think repeal is vastly underrated...it slows down alot of decks for very little mana, 20/20 tokens, flipped delvers, aether vials etc and is value with Snapcaster Mage.

Re: [Deck] Mono-Blue Control (MUC)

You are completely right about Back to Basics and I'm just testing new toys in MUC. My list is different from others because it is basically MUC miracles without the strong white removal suit and I had in mind a very Jace centric list. I will find room for BtB anyway because I play MUC only for nostalgia and Back to Basics.

By the way, Search for Azcanta is really good. It even feeds the graveyard for Set Adrift so that at one point in the game, I can play my cantrips more conservatively. I think I'm onto something but I can't decide between Counterbalance, Search for Azcanta, Vendilion Clique, Devastation Tide and Back to Basics.

Against some decks, I want Search, Tide and Clique.
    Against other, I want BtB, Counterbalance and Clique.

I like Fact and Fiction and Snapcaster Mage in your list and I can see myself playing a list with 4 of these if they are as awesome as I think they are together.

Dominate is not as good as it used to be against Delver because it still is 1 cmc when flipped with the new rules.

I won't dismiss Standstill in MUC but the idea is that Standstill need to be asymetrical by playing manlands or strong one drop (Delver or Sword to Plowshares) so that turn 2 Standstill can be game winning. This idea presents an interference with Standstill and Back to Basics. So the next step is to know how good is Standstill without manlands or strong 1 cmc (such as Delver). Flashing creatures may do the trick before but not under an Standstill. Tell us how it goes for you.

That's why Standstill is not a common choice in MUC. Maybe you can try Force of Will, Curfew and Vapor Snag to clear the board turn 1 and drop a turn 2 Standstill and manlands and Back to Basics together in the deck because one does not exclude the other automatically. Standstill would stall and make you recover from the Vapor Snag card disadvantage and everyone is happy.

Happy brewing anyway :) because MUC is so experimental at this point !

Revised list

4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell

4 Repeal
    3 Propaganda
    3 Back to Basics
    3 Fact or Fiction

4 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Nimble Obstructionist
    2 Jace, the mindsculpter
    2 Patron Wizard

6 fetchs
    12 Island
    4 Wasteland

I didn't know that the rules changed so flipped creatures have a cmc now. I that case I dropped dominate. I also dropped Shackles, as I think the biggest weakness this deck has is opponents going wide since it has no sweepers, and instead I added propaganda to the list instead, it should help alot againest grixis pyro and other token strats, even buy a turn againest a sneak attack most of the time. I also dropped stand stills as its a valid point about manlands and sucks. I added 2 patron wizards to create a soft lock if I can get them out early againest a weak board (eg turn 2 snap + t3 patron wizard should be gg againest alot of decks). I also though about adding 1 mutavault for the wizard count, but it really doesnt pay well with B2b

MUC

Deck list :

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

4 Portent
    4 Predict

4 Vanishment
    4 Set Adrift

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterbalance
    2 Soothsaying

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Back to Basics

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Polluted Delta
    11 Island

Sideboard is still in work

Quick description of the deck :

This is a Counterbalance deck. Cantrips set up Counterbalance until Soothsaying and Jace, the Mind Sculptor make it a lock piece.

Cantrips feed the graveyard and smooth your draws to set up your one blue mana timewalks, Vanishment (miracle) and Set Adrift (delve). Later, they become removals with Predict and Portent and to some extent with Counterbalance (when it works) or Back to Basics (when your opponent cannot recast what was bounced) and Jace +2 ability.

So sad that this deck is considered DEAD :(

I like the Counterbalance package. I don't think the deck is dead... bounce just doesn't do well as removal when things like Eldrazi can drop 3+ threats on turn 1 from a eye of ugin. I really feel like we should be playing chrome mox or something, to get our resources up quicker and not quickly die to certain decks.

To Kagehisa

you list dies to a true-name nemesis
    i suggest you not having jace as the only win condition and to be able to face something that do brake your wall of couters

To Von and all of you

please all of you should play 4 True-Name Nemesis because they act as walls, as beaters, and can also attack planeswalkers
    creatures like Nimble Obstructionist or Patron Wizard are interesting ... but Nemesis are so better

and please if you want to play things like Propaganda ... Ensnaring Bridges is so better

Snapcaster Mage is not that useful if he is a cc4 counterspell or a cc3 brainstorm
    much better Trinket Mage (and even cheeper)

An interesting package is
    4 True-Name Nemesis

2/3/4 Trinket Mage
    1/2 Walking Ballista
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives (even if you can cast it only for 1 and for 0 is still strong)
    1 Basilisk Collar (makes True Name Nemesis lifelink which is kind of both defending and attacking. On Ballista is kind of fun)

3 Relic of Progenitus (maindeck ... shaman ... etc ... almost every deck uses his graveyard nowadays)

Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp and / or Tempest Djinn can be interesting too as additional "cheap" beaters. Nearly only Swords to Plowshares can kill Zahid.

Also Warkite Marauder is interesting with Shackles and Walking Ballista

I think mono blue control does not mean you cannot use artifacts guys. There are so many good artifacts you can use to make card / tempo advantage or to defend, attack or kill. I think you should consider blue also as the colour that glue a mostly artifact based deck together.

To my view there is no reason to base a deck around Back to Basics if you are not able fast enought to stop an opponent to take mana from a single basic land + a deathrite shaman. A turn 4 "take his Deathrite shaman with a Shackles" is a quite ridiculous plan. It is ridiculous too to face a Deathrite Shaman (one of the most played cards in Legacy) with some Propagandas ... he will kill you with shock damage. And ridiculous too is thinking to face a combo deck with a wall of couters without having something to race him on board.

Bounce spells are not a solid gameplan too. You cannot rely on them. Boucers are kind of "the last hope" to solve a problem.
    4/5/6/7/8 bounce spells do notthing against a combo deck, a Emrakul etc, a Vial Deck etc.

For who want to play Snapcasters ... your counters are to my view
    4 force of will
    0/1/2 Misdirection
    2/3/4 Counterspell
    2/3 Disrupt -> so many decks start with turn 1 ponder or similar (turn 2 hymn to tourach etc.) ... Disrupt is so good early game while late game it becomes a 1 mana draw spell on an opponent spell or a 2 mana cicling targetting on one or your spells.
    Counterspell total number should not exceed 10-11 (counterbalances included) to my view.

I played this list back in the days for a very long time
    22 island
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Morphling
    1 Rainbow Efreet / Masticore
    4 Back to Basics
    4 Propaganda
    4 Powder Keg
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    4 Fact or Fiction
    4 Impulse
    4 force of Will
    3 Spell Snare / Chalice of the Void
    4 Counterspell
    I loved it ... but it is not playable anymore ... I'm sorry. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by frustanani View Post
    To Kagehisa

you list dies to a true-name nemesis
    i suggest you not having jace as the only win condition and to be able to face something that do brake your wall of couters

To Von and all of you

please all of you should play 4 True-Name Nemesis because they act as walls, as beaters, and can also attack planeswalkers
    creatures like Nimble Obstructionist or Patron Wizard are interesting ... but Nemesis are so better

and please if you want to play things like Propaganda ... Ensnaring Bridges is so better

Snapcaster Mage is not that useful if he is a cc4 counterspell or a cc3 brainstorm
    much better Trinket Mage (and even cheeper)

An interesting package is
    4 True-Name Nemesis

2/3/4 Trinket Mage
    1/2 Walking Ballista
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives (even if you can cast it only for 1 and for 0 is still strong)
    1 Basilisk Collar (makes True Name Nemesis lifelink which is kind of both defending and attacking. On Ballista is kind of fun)

3 Relic of Progenitus (maindeck ... shaman ... etc ... almost every deck uses his graveyard nowadays)

Zahid, Djiin of the Lamp and / or Tempest Djinn can be interesting too as additional "cheap" beaters. Nearly only Swords to Plowshares can kill Zahid.

Also Warkite Marauder is interesting with Shackles and Walking Ballista

I think mono blue control does not mean you cannot use artifacts guys. There are so many good artifacts you can use to make card / tempo advantage or to defend, attack or kill. I think you should consider blue also as the colour that glue a mostly artifact based deck together.

To my view there is no reason to base a deck around Back to Basics if you are not able fast enought to stop an opponent to take mana from a single basic land + a deathrite shaman. A turn 4 "take his Deathrite shaman with a Shackles" is a quite ridiculous plan. It is ridiculous too to face a Deathrite Shaman (one of the most played cards in Legacy) with some Propagandas ... he will kill you with shock damage. And ridiculous too is thinking to face a combo deck with a wall of couters without having something to race him on board.

Bounce spells are not a solid gameplan too. You cannot rely on them. Boucers are kind of "the last hope" to solve a problem.
    4/5/6/7/8 bounce spells do notthing against a combo deck, a Emrakul etc, a Vial Deck etc.

For who want to play Snapcasters ... your counters are to my view
    4 force of will
    0/1/2 Misdirection
    2/3/4 Counterspell
    2/3 Disrupt -> so many decks start with turn 1 ponder or similar (turn 2 hymn to tourach etc.) ... Disrupt is so good early game while late game it becomes a 1 mana draw spell on an opponent spell or a 2 mana cicling targetting on one or your spells.
    Counterspell total number should not exceed 10-11 (counterbalances included) to my view.

I played this list back in the days for a very long time
    22 island
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Morphling
    1 Rainbow Efreet / Masticore
    4 Back to Basics
    4 Propaganda
    4 Powder Keg
    3 Vedalken Shackles
    4 Fact or Fiction
    4 Impulse
    4 force of Will
    3 Spell Snare / Chalice of the Void
    4 Counterspell
    I loved it ... but it is not playable anymore ... I'm sorry. Really.
    I think TNN is very good, and should probably be in all the decks. However Bridge serves a different purpose than Propaganda in this deck. Being a true control deck Bridge is only going to stop Sneak and show/re animator from beating you, while everything else goes under it. The issue of mono blue has already been the lack of true removal. Which is why I think we must play things like dismember or repeal instead of just relying on shackles and things.
    You list looks good, but looks like it was prefetch lands. I think with fetch and 8x cantrips and snapcaster mage the decks gets alot more consistant and can survive more easily.

I agree. TNN should be played in every list.

First, I want to say I'm completely open to suggestion. If ideas and build can make MUC a deck again, I'm happy with it.

Okay, let's talk about True-Name Nemesis.

In the Grixis Delver match up, one of the best Legacy deck right now, I'm not sure it does what people described. Opposing (transformed) Delver of Secrets, Deathrite Shaman, True-Name Nemesis can "attack" through our TNN. Gurmag Angler doesn't die to it if it get blocked and Young Pyromancer can still deal (lethal) damage with its tokens. Acting like a wall is not really what TNN accomplishes here and we cannot reallistically think we can race them when they are the aggro deck.

Though I'm seduced by the idea of a Mono Blue version of Stoneblade with TNN, Trinket Mage and Trophy Mage like suggested before with Basilisk Colar and Sword of X and Y.

Meekstone and Energy Field are the cards I think can help against opposing TNN and yes that's true that my list loses to a resolve TNN. Juntu Stakes can deal with DRS by the way. I will test my list with Meekstone and Juntu Stakes on my next holydays. With both in play, only Young Pyromancer untaps in Grixis Delver hahhaha

You guys should drop all the narrow and odd cards like Nimble Obstructionst, Meekstone or that Juntu crap for cards which have a power level more appropriate to the format. It may all look sound and appealing in theory or on paper but most things in this format depend on plain power level which cards inherently possess. You shouldn't look for all them neat synergies and subtleties but instead simply pile up the currently most powerful blue cards the card pool offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagehisa View Post
    First, I want to say I'm completely open to suggestion. If ideas and build can make MUC a deck again, I'm happy with it.

Okay, let's talk about True-Name Nemesis.

In the Grixis Delver match up, one of the best Legacy deck right now, I'm not sure it does what people described. Opposing (transformed) Delver of Secrets, Deathrite Shaman, True-Name Nemesis can "attack" through our TNN. Gurmag Angler doesn't die to it if it get blocked and Young Pyromancer can still deal (lethal) damage with its tokens. Acting like a wall is not really what TNN accomplishes here and we cannot reallistically think we can race them when they are the aggro deck.

Though I'm seduced by the idea of a Mono Blue version of Stoneblade with TNN, Trinket Mage and Trophy Mage like suggested before with Basilisk Colar and Sword of X and Y.

Meekstone and Energy Field are the cards I think can help against opposing TNN and yes that's true that my list loses to a resolve TNN. Juntu Stakes can deal with DRS by the way. I will test my list with Meekstone and Juntu Stakes on my next holydays. With both in play, only Young Pyromancer untaps in Grixis Delver hahhaha
    What you say is true.

The following list is a work in progress, but shows what I mean

3 wasteland
    8 fetchlands
    7 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp

1 Masticore
    1 Walking Ballista
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Trinket Mage

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    1 Thirst for Knowledge

2 Back to Basics
    3 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell

3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Engineered Explosives

1 Basilisk Collar

3 Jace, The Mind Sculptor

Sideboard:
    2 Tezzereth the Seeker
    3 Venser, Shaper Savant
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Misdirection
    1 Batterskull
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Sower of Temptation
    1 Vedalken Shackles

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    You guys should drop all the narrow and odd cards like Nimble Obstructionst, Meekstone or that Juntu crap for cards which have a power level more appropriate to the format. It may all look sound and appealing in theory or on paper but most things in this format depend on plain power level which cards inherently possess. You shouldn't look for all them neat synergies and subtleties but instead simply pile up the currently most powerful blue cards the card pool offers.

Absolutely.

That's one of the reasons why I always railed against the inclusion of Propaganda in this deck. People claimed that it combo-ed well with Back to Basics but as a standalone card it is simply far too weak for this format.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

frustanani

I see your list and reread the previous ones and you have convinced me to play Ensnaring Bridge.

I can see what you did here. Your list should be a Grixis Delver killer. And I love how you can free yourself from your own Bridge with EE @3 to finish opponent :D

DRS :
    Needle, Explosives, Relic
    B2B (stop the DRS draining), Masticore, Ballista

Delver :
    Explosives
    Masticore, Ballista, Bridge

Pyromancer
    Explosives
    B2B (because Pyromancer is mana intensive), Bridge, Ballista, Masticore, Trinket Mage

TNN :
    Explosives
    Bridge, B2B

Gurmag Angler :
    Relic
    Collar, Bridge, Masticore, JaceTMS, Trinket Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Kagehisa View Post
    frustanani

I see your list and reread the previous ones and you have convinced me to play Ensnaring Bridge.

I can see what you did here. Your list should be a Grixis Delver killer. And I love how you can free yourself from your own Bridge with EE @3 to finish opponent :D

DRS :
    Needle, Explosives, Relic
    B2B (stop the DRS draining), Masticore, Ballista

Delver :
    Explosives
    Masticore, Ballista, Bridge

Pyromancer
    Explosives
    B2B (because Pyromancer is mana intensive), Bridge, Ballista, Masticore, Trinket Mage

TNN :
    Explosives
    Bridge, B2B

Gurmag Angler :
    Relic
    Collar, Bridge, Masticore, JaceTMS, Trinket Mage
    It's quite rare to set explosives @3 to get rid of your own bridge. It is not that difficult to regulate the number of cards in your hand because that list has a lot of cheep permanents. Otherwise you use Jace to finish. More often you use e.e.@3 to solve things like a liliana or a sword of fire and ice or an opponent's nemesis. But is quite rare too.

Those games bridge is not effettive, i switch it with tezzeret who is kind of a 2turns kill card.

I am often thinking of a 3/4 painter and 1/2 grindstone with the 2 tezzeret in the side for a combo surprise g2.

I think Masticore is a huge wepon in the format (even without bridge) because kills nearly every creature she cannot block. If with collar is so fun.
    I might want to increase to 3 the number of ballista and masticore because earlygame I often use a fast suicide ballista.

Actually is still quite difficult to face grixis decks because even if you block their creatures and shamans, you suffer bolts. So having basilisk collar online is crutial because you need lifegain and to avoid a bolt death. In the side than you can have misdirection (i think better than hydroblasts) and 1 more lifegain card (batterskull). An elixir could be interesting too (it is a cc1 artifact but i can't remember the name) for the side.

An other card good in this lists is cryptic command.
    Delver of secrets or phyrexian revoker 4x in the side is good to against fast decks (we need to race).

I am trying a different MUC deck too

2 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Seat of Synod
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    6 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory (total 20)

4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Trinket Mage
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Impulse
    3 Standstill
    4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    3 Stifle
    2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Basilisk Collar
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Phyrexian Dreadnought (not sure ... fancy but it win some games)

Sideboard:

3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Misdirection
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Sower of Temptation
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Masticore
    1 Rushing River
    1 Back to Basics

It can be played both as an aggro control, both as a pure control.
    Without Delver of Secrets is a pure control deck. He often act as a " -1 card for your opponent + 1 land drop for you"
    It is very fun to run.

I think that in general the following package is very good
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    3 or 4 Trinket Mage (depending on how much card advantage you have and how many bullets you use)
    1 Basilisk Collar
    1 Pithing Needle (1 more in side)
    1 or 2 Engineered Explosives (2 or 3 between main and side)

Also a deck with only fetch, islands, back to basics, maybe some chrome mox and these new dudes here is interesting

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by frustanani View Post
    I am trying a different MUC deck too

2 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Seat of Synod
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    6 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory (total 20)

4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Trinket Mage
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Impulse
    3 Standstill
    4 Force of Will
    2 Counterspell
    3 Stifle
    2 Jace, The Mind Sculptor
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Basilisk Collar
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Phyrexian Dreadnought (not sure ... fancy but it win some games)

Sideboard:

3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Misdirection
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Sower of Temptation
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Masticore
    1 Rushing River
    1 Back to Basics

It can be played both as an aggro control, both as a pure control.
    Without Delver of Secrets is a pure control deck. He often act as a " -1 card for your opponent + 1 land drop for you"
    It is very fun to run.

I think that in general the following package is very good
    4 True-Name Nemesis
    3 or 4 Trinket Mage (depending on how much card advantage you have and how many bullets you use)
    1 Basilisk Collar
    1 Pithing Needle (1 more in side)
    1 or 2 Engineered Explosives (2 or 3 between main and side)

Also a deck with only fetch, islands, back to basics, maybe some chrome mox and these new dudes here is interesting
    +1 for playing Masticore in 2018

The new djinns are interesting.

A shell could be:

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Force of Will
    3 Back to Basics
    4 Tempest Djinn
    2 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp
    4 Spire Golem
    2 Glint-Nest Crane
    4 Walking Ballista
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    2 Counterspell
    1 Trinket Mage
    1 Basilisk Collar

I'm having a lot of fun with this mono-blue landstill list.
    It works good; it is three days my record is 9-3. which is positive for a first test deck.

4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    3 Maze of Ith
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    8 Island

///24///

3 Relic of Progenitus

4 Brainstorm
    4 Impulse
    4 Standstill
    4 Force of Will

1 Whir of Invention

4 True-Name Nemesi
    1 Trinket Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp

4 Powder Keg
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Basilisk Collar

The idea behind is to stop opponent creatures with intelligent lands, true-name nemesis and some artifacts.
    Impulse is very good in this list beacause of all the single bullets (even if they most are tutorable with Trinket Mage and/or Whir of Invention) and Standstill can be played nearly in any case.
    It is like a deck that stards already with a sideboard in the 60, and with counterspells for storm decks and other most specific cards in the other 15 slots.
    For example against reanimator, we already have 3 relic of progenitus, 3 maze of ith and the ensnaring bridge in the 60.
    I don't feel the need of more counterspells in the main, except for combo decks (control and aggro control decks are easy match ups).

Sideboard:

2 Stifle versatile card: it is good vs storm, to make denial or defend a land, vs eldrazis' trigger abilities etc.
    3 Flusterstorm (or Spell Pierce)

2 Marrow Shards (maybe even 3 copies)

1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Karakas

1 Umezawa's Jitte or a lifegain card or a Propaganda Any suggestion ? (it is the fast decks slot)
    1 Masticore

1 Oblivion Stone it competes with ensnaring bridge and Crucible of Worlds for the slot in the mainboard 60 cards.
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Rushing River

I discovered the existence of Marrow Shards and found it awesome against Baleful Strix&Young Pyromancer-decks, Aether Vial-decks and True-Name Nemesis-decks.
    I sometimes side him in also against RUG-Delver (Canadian Threshold) because it combos with relic of progenitus killing Tarmogoyf and Nimble Mongoose (and True-Name Nemesis they sometime play) ... but be careful they might have Null Rod in their sideboard.

I might want a Seat of the Synod in the maindeck (helps casting Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp for 5 mana when you don't have an artifact and to free yourself from opponent's Chokes)
    and to find room for a Academy Ruins (even in the sideboard)

Maybe a copy of Chalice of The Void for storm (good even @0)

What do you think ? any suggestion ?

To my view mono blue is still playable. Remember it was a viable deck when decks whith Mystical Tutor or Survival of the Fittest were around.

I've just discovered new cards

- Endless Atlas can be a good 1X in a Back to Basics list with only Islands or fetchlands.
    Some years ago some were playing the horrible Crystal Balls (terrible card)

Some other new cards

- Retrofitter Foundry a token servo creator and level-uper (into thopter and into construct) which can be fetchable via Trinket Mage.
    He can nearly hold the board by himself ... it is awesome to my view. Mono U control needs this card for sure.
    - Whirler Rogue for tokens (thopter). It is nice that it does not suffer Spell Pierce. I like it.
    - Reverse Engineer

They are all three in friendship with

- Karn, Scion of Urza for more tokens and/or card advantage. I like it because any ability makes card advantage. But none of them is that very good.
    - Thopter Spy Network more tokens (thopter) and potentially draw engine
    - Tezzeret the Seeker. So understimated card. soo good 1X.
    - Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp _ Mahamoti cc4. Unluckyly he is legendary.
    - Padeem, Consul of Innovation _ protection for our artifacts (he is a sideboard card to my view vs decay decks)
    - The Antiquities War _ personally I prefere Tezzeret
    - Trinket Mage & Whir of Invention and their tool

Maybe we could work on a list.
    Those are all strong cards. I know they are not easy to fit with back to basics because I suppose that an artifact based list needs a manabase like this:

3/2 Ancient Tomb
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Mishra's Factory or an other land that creates artifacts or is an artifact herself
    2/3 Seat of the Synod
    5 Fetchlands
    6 Islands
    3 Chrome Mox

But monoU with back to basics plays so many bad cards usually that I don't think one single card makes it strong. And back to basics restricts us so much opportunities.

Probabely I would add 4 Brainstorm instead of Chalice of The Void (@1) because it restricts our options too (expecially on the draw). I'm thinking to all trinket mage tool.
    Probabely we check it after chosing the core of a deck.

May 2015
    PDX

If you're playing mono-blue not-Merfolk you probably need to try and cheese wins off the back of Chalice. In terms of card draw, within the context of Chalice, your best options are Thoughtcast, Reverse Engineer, Thirst for Knowledge, Search for Azcanta, Standstill, etc... or you go down the Paradoxical Outcome pathway.

Without going down the Paradoxical path the question becomes naming the best 0 or 2 drop artifacts which preferably don't tap such that your deck can utilize the improvise mechanic. At least 8 slots are Spyglass and Chrome Mox (option to play without imprint). Best creature would be Walking Ballista, so now you're at 16 artifacts, and let's say 8 draw effects (Thoughtcast + Reverse Engineer seem best). Next best improvise spell is Metallic Rebuke - instant speed has very specific implications with tapping down own Winter Orb (so Winter Orb x2 is a direction you could go down). Tag on a pair of Mox Opal and you're at 30 cards done. Blue count is high enough so FoW x4 and about 6 slots to work with.

You stay on Standstill x4 w/ Factories also in the manabase and maybe you want 2x Foundry Assembler to really max out on Factory synergy. Could do Ensnaring Bridge and another wincon (probably a PW, probably Karn). Could be boring and play 4x TNN plus 2x PWs (at this point though, why aren't you playing Merfolk); Misthollow Griffon isn't good, but it's kinda fine with Chrome Mox imprints (recast it later, not really killing the Mox since it improvises), so that's another thing you could do.

For the sake of simplicity with the manabase, let's say 20 lands is correct and you're doing the Factory/Standstill thing: 4x Factory, 4x Ancient Tomb, 6 Fetch, 6 Island.

Removal is the problem in decks like these, not sure how you can fix it and keep the deck focused on 'doing the thing.'

Thread Information