Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Report] Jack Elgin Would be Proud to Know...

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Re: [Report] Jack Elgin Would be Proud to Know...

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    WHAT THE SHIT WHEN DID BRET SHAVE HIS HEAD?!?!?!?!
    About 2-3 months ago, IIRC. It was about the time he realized he was already swiftly approaching bald, and started reading up on The Game. I did a similar thing, but cut mine back to a half-hawk, rather than a full on shave. The ponytail had been around for about 7+ years, decided it was time to retire it for now. Summer is too fucking hot anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and props on the bubble-names Bardo. Between swapping with real name and source names, if I weren't a regular I'd wonder if Mad Zur was really his name :D
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

That is... not how I was picturing Volt. You know, Monty Burns avatar and all.

T is for Tool looks very German. Ob_Freely too, but mostly it's the clothing.

DeathwingZERO I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.

And Krieger... ouch. Talk about a bad moment to get caught on camera.

Other than that, good report, and a good read. Now, the Magical question: am I correct in understanding that you disagree that 5C Manabase > 4C Manabase, and if so, why?
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo, but I'm way too lazy to scroll back up there and actually hit the quote button
    “Spell Snare es muy bueño.”
    Bueno will do. Bueño would be pronounced like "bwen-yo" as opposed to "Bwen-oh". It's all about the tilde.

Solid report. I'm disappointed you didn't rock out the Vrosh-still, though. I find Thresh so boring a deck to play (or sit down against). Sucks that you got me'd in round two (but I suppose you'd prefer we left it at that), and didn't beat NLB.

Which, upon looking at it, could be like "new lonelybaritone" or something. Hmmm.

Pictures made this shit roxx0rz my boxx0rz (although I sleep naked and am even now lounging, as god made me, in my room recounting your magical endeavors. Good job, dude.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

am I correct in understanding that you disagree that 5C Manabase > 4C Manabase, and if so, why?
    Spell-wise, the 5c deck is 4c maindeck, with things like Pyroclasm, Ancient Grudge and REB in the board, right?

If so, I don't see how mucking up your already shifty mana to run City of Brass is worth it; nor do I see how it makes any of your bad match-ups any better. Vs. Goblins, + 4x BEB, +3/4 Plague; - 3 CB, -3 Spell Snare, -1/2 FoW/Daze should be enough.

Ancient Grudge would be good against Dragon Stompy (which no one plays out here anyway), but it seems like that deck would just prey on a 5-color, no basic manabase; so basically, just as bad.

So, what am I missing?
    Last edited by Bardo; 07-04-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    So, what am I missing?
    Colour consistency and resilience to LD effects. I gave up on full 4C (full = W and B for cards I want early like Swords and 'Seize) because it was too easy to cut me away from either Swords or creatures when I needed three separate splashes, but Cities of Brass help a lot with that.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Spell-wise, the 5c deck is 4c maindeck, with things like Pyroclasm, Ancient Grudge and REB in the board, right?

If so, I don't see how mucking up your already shifty mana to run City of Brass is worth it; nor do I see how it makes any of your bad match-ups any better. Vs. Goblins, + 4x BEB, +3/4 Plague; - 3 CB, -3 Spell Snare, -1/2 FoW/Daze should be enough.

Ancient Grudge would be good against Dragon Stompy (which no one plays out here anyway), but it seems like that deck would just prey on a 5-color, no basic manabase; so basically, just as bad.

So, what am I missing?
    City of Brass actually helps your manabase as it produces all 5 colors in one land. When you play 4 colors but each land produces 2 colors you need 3 lands out to have access to all colors that isn't true with City of Brass. Since all your lands can be wastelanded, affected by moon effects, and generally suspectable to all forms of land destruction how is a dual land better than City of Brass?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Only in the self-inflicted damage sense. I'm sure the life-loss is fine with 1 out, it's mainly if you're relying on multiples to play your game. But consistency may compensate for the pain you're taking, so maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil
    it was too easy to cut me away from either Swords or creatures when I needed three separate splashes, but Cities of Brass help a lot with that.
    List (with sideboard)?

Mar 2007

List (with sideboard)?
    As it was before I dropped the deck, around the beginning of this year:

// Lands
    4 [PR] Tundra
    4 [ON] Flooded Strand
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    3 [PR] Underground Sea
    4 [PR] Tropical Island

// Creatures
    4 [OD] Nimble Mongoose
    3 [RAV] Dark Confidant
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    2 [OD] Mystic Enforcer

// Spells
    4 [NE] Daze
    4 [PR] Force of Will
    4 [PR] Brainstorm
    4 [LRW] Ponder
    3 [FD] Serum Visions
    3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    3 [CS] Counterbalance
    4 [FNM] Swords to Plowshares

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [7E] Engineered Plague
    SB: 3 [PLC] Extirpate
    SB: 4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
    SB: 2 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [DIS] Trygon Predator
    SB: 1 [b] Control Magic

(Today I'd play eight fetches, btw)

As you can see, I used Dark Confidant over Thoughtseize, which actually makes thing better since it means I never have to fetch Underground Sea on turn 1 (except post-side, where TS coming in usually means I don't need immediate removal). The Serum Visions were added late in an attempt to stabilize the deck (over Portents because I wanted to use them to search for lands), but they only mildly helped as a Wasteland/Vindicate/Stifle still meant a Time Walk as I searched for a colour replacement.

The 5C list which I tried out was the Hatfield one (-1 FoF +1 Portent), and I found it much more stable: against denial I'd usually keep a City in hand and play it when the dual I needed got destroyed.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

Bardo, your wife is far, far too good looking for you. Hopefully your children take after her, and not at all like you.

Guy in Round 2 did what he had to do because that was his only out and he got there in a questionable ruling. Don't do something like that again with your cards - you gave the guy the only out he had remaining.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Last edited by Bardo; 07-14-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

But Anwar is still sexier....

Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

I did laugh :)

congratulation !

Robert

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    But Anwar is still sexier....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5iQubfV5s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    WALL-E was fantastic. The ending didn't suck. You suck. Your whole paradigm sucks. Except the part that liked most of WALL-E.

P.S. Wine ftw.
    You gotta love a movie where the two romantic leads have just one line each the whole movie, repeated endlessly, and it's the other lead's name used with numerous different inflections. And no I'm not being facetious here. Wall-E is a great movie.

His Power Is Maximum
    Apr 2004
    Lexington, Kentucky

I've avoided this thread like the plague since it saw the Elgin keyword in the title.

It was great meeting Dan in person despite getting Jander'd by Zilla and Frogboy. He didn't realize who I was initially, and I had to strongly resist the impulse to give out another Sourcer name (Bovinious sprang to mind).

Laputa (Castle in the Sky)
    If only that movie was Spanish.

T is for Tool looks very German. Ob_Freely too, but mostly it's the clothing.
    Thanks? More importantly, how did you know we had matching thongs?
    There was a young lady named Valarie
    Who started to count every calorie
    Said her boss in disgust,
    'If you lose half your bust
    then you'll only be worth half your salary.'

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I have to politely request that nobody be allowed to copy and paste that Anwar photo any more. I'm getting nauseous, you bazturd just browsing.
    Last edited by Finn; 07-09-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: gearhart makes me nautious as well

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I have to politely request that nobody be allowed to copy and paste that Anwar photo any more. I'm getting nautious just browsing.
    So "nautious" that you're misspelling nauseous?
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Sep 2005
    Cape cod, Massachusetts

I think he misspelled Nautilus...

Thread Information