Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: [Deck] Astral Slide vs. Legacy, take 78

Re: [Deck] Astral Slide vs. Legacy, take 78

Forsake the Worthy, Cast Out, Glory Bound Initiate and maybe Gideon of the Trials are what we got in white.

Sweltering Suns is pretty much all Red got in this set.

Blue and Black have an absolute ton of stuff here.

I think we want to go either Jeskai or Esper with the deck at this point. Slide/Witness hasn't been good enough for awhile now, and things like Shadow of the Grave can replace the CA from the Loam engine while letting the deck work faster.

The biggest single reason for Red is Nahiri, the Harbinger. The second biggest reason is for Faithless Looting. Honestly, it might be worth it to just run those two cards and go four color. Then again, maybe not. Tentatively I'd look at this for a starting point on a list, but this is super rough and off the top of my head, and more about raw power than, like, streamlined playability.

Lands - 23
    4x Ash Barrens
    2x Irrigated Farmlands
    2x Fetid Pools
    2x Canyon Slough
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Marsh Flats
    1x Island
    2x Swamp
    1x Plains
    1x Mountain
    1x Underground Sea
    1x Tundra

Creatures - 17
    4x Bloodghast (maybe Viscera Dragger?)
    4x Curator of Mysteries
    4x Archfiend of Ifnir
    4x Glory Bound Initiate (only good with a Slide in play, probably too cute)
    1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Planeswalkers - 4
    4x Nahiri, the Harbinger

Sorceries - 7
    4x Careful Study
    3x Collective Brutality

Instants - 8
    4x Shadow of the Grave
    4x Force of Will

Enchantments - 5
    3x Astral Slide
    2x Lightning Rift/Drake's Roost

Hmm, that's 64 cards, and it's super rough, and the mana and CC's are a huge mess, but it's definitely a starting point. Also, no Cast Out, not enough blue cards for FoW.. there's issues, but they're overcomable. I think it needs more discard and counters. Probably some Jace, Vryn's Prodigy too.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    [cards]
    I think we want to go either Jeskai or Esper with the deck at this point. Slide/Witness hasn't been good enough for awhile now, and things like Shadow of the Grave can replace the CA from the Loam engine while letting the deck work faster.
    I don't think you want to forgo Life from the Loam.
    Shadow of the Grave only "sees" the cards from the turn you play it, meaning you have to pay like 4 mana to return two 1-mana cyclers. It reminds me of Grim Discovery (in this deck).
    It's better when you go Hellbent with things like Zombie Infestation.

I'd play the deck in Bant or Naya colors.

Also the new cycling Disenchant feels a bit too clunky, similar to Radiant's Judgment, which always felt 1 mana too much.

Took the deck for a spin at weekly legacy last night. Decided on an aggro loam shell, but with some cute choices like Wall of Blossoms just for fun/nostalgia.

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void

3 Cast Out
    3 Astral Slide

2 Life From the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Unearth

3 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Dark Confidant
    1 Wall of Blossoms
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Renegade Rallier
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Deathrite Shaman

4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Tranquil Thicket
    2 Scattered Groves
    4 Wasteland
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor
    2 Savannah
    2 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp

Sideboard:
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Sin Collector
    2 Containment Priest
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Nissa Vastwood Seer
    1 Reclamation Sage

Our shop records feature matches and I was on camera for round 1 (bottom right):
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/144199483

Be warned, I haven't played mtg/legacy in a couple months so I made plenty of misplays/punts including the game losing silliness of forgetting to decay my bob before it killed me (in my defense I was distracted by my opponent drawing 13 cards in one turn).

The deck was great, containment priest/slide is awesome (though priest/gsz is awkward), and I think Cast Out is REALLY good. For real, instant speed O-ring that can cycle is nuts. I lost to sneak&show in r2 but mainly because I couldn't find a single Cast Out. I only played 3 cause I wanted to try out bob, but 4 is definitely right and bob should probably be sylvan library. I'm not sure if junk is the right color combination, but I'm hesitant to cut black since Unearth is an insane card. Even though there's some friction between it and chalice, I don't see not playing it. Might even go to 4.

I could see playing bant with no chalice and 4 noble hierarch, but I can't think of another good cycling card that would replace Unearth. Censor is bad, maybe the Sphinx?

I've also been testing a BUG list with Haven/LotV/Unearth and value creatures like snap/strix/leovold. It's been putting up good results, but no slide makes me sad.

Anyways, the deck is more live now than ever, hope to see more people having fun with it. Cheers.

edit: forgot to mention, Scattered Groves was tested over more Thickets or Secluded Steppe because I like how you can fetch for it with a fetchland and then sac it to KotR to start loaming back a cycler. It makes your loam cycle engine more consistent. You could also wasteland it if needed.
    Last edited by Kaono; 05-16-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Howdy all, I'm a long time brewer and I've found a deck that feels really solid, surprises everyone, and has a surprisingly decent win rate, considering that it's a 5c midrange deck with no discard. I know that it probably just looks like a pile of vaguely synergistic cards that'll have a whole lot of mana issues, but I've rarely had issues with colors. Usually by the time I'd have the amount of mana needed to cast something I have the right colors for it as well, Breya and Rhino are a little difficult at times, but between the 4 Deathrites, 4 Mox Diamonds, 6 fetches, 3 Edge of Autumns and the 3 Ash Barrens it usually runs pretty smoothly.

4x Deathrite Shaman
    3x Curator of Mysteries
    3x Eternal Witness
    2x Archfiend of Ifnir
    2x Baleful Strix
    1x Siege Rhino
    1x Thragtusk

2x Astral Slide
    2x Drake Haven
    2x Lightning Rift

3x Edge of Autumn
    3x Life from the Loam

3x Abrupt Decay
    1x Swords to Plowshares

4x Mox Diamond

2x Forest
    1x Swamp
    1x Island
    1x Plains
    3x Ash Barrens
    3x Tranquil Thicket
    2x Barren Moor
    1x Fetid Pools
    1x Irrigated Farmland
    1x Bayou
    1x Scrubland
    1x Taiga
    1x Tropical Island
    1x Underground Sea
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Misty Rainforest

Sideboard:
    2x Containment Priest
    2x Toxic Deluge (second one was a Reclamation Sage)
    2x Vindicate
    1x Swords to Plowshares (was an Angelsong)
    1x Breya, Etherium Shaper
    1x Cast Out
    1x Humility (was a Conqueror's Flail)
    1x Faith of the Devoted
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Stonehorn Dignitary
    1x Volrath's Stronghold

The sideboard's lacking gravehate and some discard probably but it's not too much of an issue for my meta.

When I was brewing this up I kept just wanting to jam more and more good/fun things into the deck, and sure the saying is "Jack of all trades, master of none," but this a midrange deck with 18 cyclers in a meta that's almost entirely fair, barring the two Elves! and S&T decks.

I did have to make a few unfortunate cuts from the old versions; Thragtusk, Acidic Slime, Chalice, Knight, Blood Moon, Akroma the red, Armageddon, and Decree of Justice. And the shaving of the enchantments hurts, but I wanted to make sure I could include all of them, since they're all so good against fair decks. Strix used to be a Mulldrifter, but I could only go up against so many big dudes before deciding that having a way to kill them is better than having the one extra card draw. Maybe that'll change back if I ever cut a color.

Over the past 3 weeks of testing I've got a total record of 5-6-1. 4 of those losses were in the same day, the deck kept drawing one land in the 7s and 6s. I ended up mulling to 3 one game just to find a land after none of the previous hands had any lands. The draw was against one of my buddies who was on 4c Loam, we ended game 1 with 10 minutes on the clock.

So, what are y'alls's opinions on it? Anything that stands out as egregiously horrible or questionable? I'm happy to talk about anything in 77.

Ok. So. We've got all the cyclers listed now from the big cycling block. Fair amount of stuff to sift through. Here's where I think we end up bottom line: You can go with a UWx shell, run FoW, and be a mediocre control deck, or you can run a WBg shell, and be a mediocre midrange deck with a really strong endgame. I'd lean towards the Wbg shell, simply because it looks more fun and can steal a few more wins. Probably start something like so:

Creatures (15)
    4x Hollow One
    4x Vile Manifestation
    4x Street Wraith
    3x Siege Rhino

Spells (16)
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Crop Rotation
    3x Gilded Light
    4x Edge of Autumn
    2x Life from the Loam

Permanents (4)
    3x Astral Slide
    1x Abandoned Sarcophagus

Lands (25)
    4x Ash Barrens
    4x Flagstones of Trokair
    1x Bayou
    1x Scrubland
    2x Scattered Groves
    3x Secluded Steppe
    2x Tranquil Thicket
    2x Forest
    1x Plains
    1x Swamp
    1x Bojuka Bog
    3x Ancient Tomb (or some mix of Karakas, Volrath's Stronghold, Grasping Dunes, Wasteland, Nomad Stadium, Nantuko Monastery, Glacial Chasm)

Sideboard
    1x Abandoned Sarcophagus
    3x Abrupt Decay
    4x Leyline of Sanctity
    4x Scarab Feast
    3x Gaddock Teeg

You've got 31 cyclers maindeck, which is nice. All of those cards have flashback in a long enough game thanks to Sarcophagus, which is why you have extra in the board to bring in for long grindy-type matchups, assuming that just blinking Rhino a bunch doesn't end those for you already. The deck ditches most of the acceleration packages in favor of lower cc's and "free" effects. Crop Rotation is accel via Flagstones and CA via Loam. Might be worth it to run more land targets than just Bojuka Bog, but.. maybe not. The Scattered Groves are there specifically to be snagged with Flagstones when you sac it to Crop or Edge. If you actually draw them, they can be cycled away. Ash Barrens works as the "fetchland" for the deck, quickly pulling up all your basics and making it way, way harder for people to mana hate on you. Before Vile Manifestation was spoiled I had Viscera Dragger in that slot. Still a strong card either way, and both cycle if they're dead.

Anti-combo plan is pretty much "pray for a well timed Gilded Light to save you" so.. not great. Teegs and Leyline's in the board to help. DRS would probably be a solid card here, not sure what to cut for it. Hollow One is amazing fast, free-ish beats. T1 Flagstones, cycle Barrens, Edge, Wraith, free Golems isn't an impossible play. Even easier from T2 onward. Deals with everything that isn't Tarmogoyf or TNN. Rhino's can go over the top with drain life for wins. Rhino is actually a 2-turn kill from 19. Play Rhino (3 life), Slide out (6 life), Slide on their turn (9 life), attack (13 life), Slide out (16 life), Slide on their turn (19 life). With 31 cyclers, the Manifestations are going to be hitting hard, and they're big enough w/4 toughness to ignore a fair bit of removal.

With this setup you're weak to combo, burn, and dredge, but with the possibility of lucky steals. Strong against control, tempo, midrange, creatures. The deck has more than enough colorless sources to run Eldrazi spells and creatures like Thoughtknot and Wail, so those are options too. Looked at Volrath's Stronghold, Nomad Stadium, Blighted Steppe, and Nantuko Monastery over the third Ancient Tomb, but those all seemed just a bit too situational. Grasping Dunes or something might be a good plan for a deck like Elves that's basically an auto-loss as constructed. I mean, I guess you could run Orzoff Pontiff in the board, and have an easy recurring wipe, but then you're giving up stuff in other matchups.

This basic shell is pretty easy to tune to whatever your specific metagame is because half your deck is cantrips, and the rest is undercosted/free beaters and utility. It's a solid, fun, tier 2 deck. Which is pretty good for legacy! So, good luck, and enjoy. Glad WotC finally gave it some new toys.

Holy necro Batman!

Just figured I'd res the thread temporarily with the eulogy I threw in at the top of the 1st post in the thread.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Holy necro Batman!

Just figured I'd res the thread temporarily with the eulogy I threw in at the top of the 1st post in the thread.
    :( I guess now it's time to hope for a reprint in Dominaria.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

I hate to necro but looks like you guys received a big upgrade, there's a new better version of astral slide now.
    Or you all can build around it and have 8 astral slide effects.

Good luck to you all astral slide players.
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

I was waiting for this!
    There is also this thread: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...2-Simple-Slide

Thread Information