Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retaining Priority

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Retaining Priority

The thread I wanted to post this in seems to be gone, so I will post it here. I just want to make sure I am right, read:

Wallace taps Urza's Tower
    Wallace taps Urza's Power Plant
    Wallace taps Island
    Wallace plays Mindslaver from Hand
    <Careta> play it
    Careta taps Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    Wallace plays Mindslaver from Hand
    Careta plays Krosan Grip from Hand
    <Wallace> k, well I will activate it without passing
    <Careta> have split
    <Wallace> I know, I can activate the ability after I play the spell
    <Wallace> before I pass
    <Wallace> I have 1st priority after spell resolves
    <Careta> minds dead
    <Wallace> no it's not
    <Careta> i think
    <Careta> why ?
    <Wallace> I have 1st priority
    <Wallace> I cast it, then after it resolves I activate it before I pass priority
    <Careta> no
    <Wallace> I know how this works, happens all the time
    Careta sacrifices Krosan Grip
    <Careta> blah
    <Wallace> after a spell resolves you retain priority, no?
    <Careta> no
    <Wallace> ...
    <Player Lost>

So I get 1st priority, after Mindslaver resolves right, he won't have a chance to grip it?
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Re: Retaining Priority

Correct
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

Some Random Guy Playing Random decks Getting Random Results
    Aug 2008

Whenever a spells/ability is played, the player who played the spell/ability gains priority
    Whenever a spell/ability resolved priority is given to the active player

so yes, mindslaving him, without giving him the chance to grip, is possible. However, it's possible to 'cheat' with this so I would recommend saying that you want to break it right away before giving your opponent a chance to play the grip. If you don't announce you want to retain priority the situation could get ugly...
    Level 1 DCI Judge

Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by DeathScythe View Post
    Whenever a spells/ability is played, the player who played the spell/ability gains priority
    Whenever a spell/ability resolved priority is given to the active player

so yes, mindslaving him, without giving him the chance to grip, is possible. However, it's possible to 'cheat' with this so I would recommend saying that you want to break it right away before giving your opponent a chance to play the grip. If you don't announce you want to retain priority the situation could get ugly...
    Yeah he didn't even give me a chance to do anything, hell I I was still waiting for him to tell me it resolved when he gripped it...

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Yeah he didn't even give me a chance to do anything, hell I I was still waiting for him to tell me it resolved when he gripped it...

I would tell that guy to learn the rules of the game. Thats why I hate workstation. Soon, we will have legacy for magic online. :)
    ~Shriek~

These kind of situations are the reason why I'm one of the annoying fucks who ask Ok? for every fucking cantrip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

Just a question, cant he Krosan in response to you activating the Mindslaver in which you're screwed for using it?

I havent been playing again seriously since all this Priority stuff came into effect so I'm still new to it. Bear with me :)

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Ramptoniin View Post
    Just a question, cant he Krosan in response to you activating the Mindslaver in which you're screwed for using it?

I havent been playing again seriously since all this Priority stuff came into effect so I'm still new to it. Bear with me :)
    No. The activation is already on the stack and will resolve, unless you stifle it. Gripping it in response to the activation is a bad idea.

Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

No because I have to sacrifice Slaver as part of the activation. There would be no reason to so though, the trigger would still go on the stack and resolve after you Grip.

Example:

Grindstone reads:

T; Target player puts the top 2 cards of there library into there graveyard...yada, yada,yada...

So if you Grip the Stone in resp. to the activation, stone would be destroyed, then you would mill your top 2.

Ah interesting, But if you Milled on their turn, they can Grip in response and it will destroy before? Just trying to straighten out this priority business haha

Master of Observation

Jan 2008
    Kortrijk, Belgium

Ah interesting, But if you Milled on their turn, they can Grip in response and it will destroy before? Just trying to straighten out this priority business haha
    Destroying the source of an ability does not stop that ability from resolving. This is a change from pre-6th, if I'm not mistaken.

Captain fucking Magic
    Dec 2004
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Elficidium View Post
    Destroying the source of an ability does not stop that ability from resolving. This is a change from pre-6th, if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeh, they fixed this with the 6th Edition Rules.

Not really. During your main phase, you have priority. If you cast Mindslaver, and your opponent says "It resolves", you get priority back. You can sit there all day long (not literally, of course) and he cannot cast a spell.

However, if you, say, wish to enter your attack phase, you pass priority at the end of your main phase.
    Last edited by KrzyMoose; 08-23-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Some Random Guy Playing Random decks Getting Random Results
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by KrzyMoose View Post
    Not really. During your main phase, you have priority. If cast Mindslaver, and your opponent says "It resolves", you get priority back. You can sit there all day long (not literally, of course) and he cannot cast a spell.
    hence I included the word 'recommend' in there, it's awefull for a judge (assuming you're in a tournament) to hear a nice story about player A saying he didn't give priority to his/her opponent because he was thinking what to do and player B claiming he had priority because his/her opponent was iddling for about a minute without stating he would keep priority himself. A situation unable for a judge to verify just by himself (god I love spectators every once in a while).
    Level 1 DCI Judge

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by DeathScythe View Post
    and player B claiming he had priority because his/her opponent was iddling for about a minute without stating he would keep priority himself.
    Claiming this would be useless, since being idle for a long time may mean you get warned for Slow Play, but not that you are assumed to pass priority.

Player B would have to lie and say that you said 'go' or something. However, if your opponent is prepared to flat-out make up stuff like that, there are bigger problems to come ("He said he was Wasting my Volcanic, then changed his mind and tried to take it back and hit Tropical instead!").
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

I can't think of a reason B would be allowed to play a spell there; if A hasn't done anything for a minute he would still have priority and B would have no grounds.

A more interesting case: at a recent PTQ, my opponent cast Incindiary Command to murder all creatures. For about ten seconds, I looked at him and he looked at me. Then I said "okay." and binned my creatures. At this point, my opponent realized he had forgotten to use his Fulminator Mage to kill one of my lands. Ruling was because I gave him so long to respond to his own spell before letting it resolve that he was out of luck.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Because he put Command on the stack and passed priority.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

See below. Thinking of wrong situation
    Last edited by TrialByFire; 08-23-2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by TrialByFire View Post
    I'm pretty sure that in the some kind of rules somewhere, it says that unless you specifically say that you are retaining priority after playing a spell or ability, it is assumed that you passed priority. Something to do with shortcuts or whatever. This is the way it worked on MODO, you had to press the SHIFT key (CTRL?) while playing things to retain priority or else it automatically passed.
    I do not know if such a shortcut rule exists IRL (it doesn't make much sense, IMO, since "Ok?" after playing a spell comes automatically to tournament players), but assuming you are correct, it would still not be very relevant to the example at hand.

There is a huge difference between getting priority after you play a spell or ability, where in 99% of cases you want to just pass priority and see if it resolves, and getting priority after a spell or ability resolves, where you'd basically only pass priority if you want to move to the next step in the turn.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Yea wow I was thinking of the fact of being able to play multiple spells or abilities in a row. Active player absolutely gains priority after resolving a spell or ability though. Edited above

-Slay

ok so Krosan Gripping a Pernicious Deed in response to it going off does nothing? And Deed still kills what it is supposed to?

Oh also, What if My opponent is changing Phases going from Main to Attack per se, and I Krosan Grip the Deed at end of Main phase(priority is passed to me) the Grip will kill deed so it cant go off since it has Split Second?

But if my opponent Pops the Deed and I respond with Grip, the deed still goes off?

Thread Information