Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get the most out of Ebay

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Re: How to get the most out of Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    The only way to do it is to not list the shipping in the auction itself where it places it in automatically. You can mention how much it is, but make it so they have to type in the amount they are paying. It's a pain, but it can be done. I just tell people, I'll refund it. It's easier.
    Does it cost you money to refund shipping or is it so little that it is irrelevant. I am doing free shipping for MTG and non-MTG things and people love free shipping on my non-mtg things. I am actually selling things for what I am asking....I guess I don't ask much...but I'm sort of (pleasantly) surprised!

Mar 2009
    Austin, TX

I've been using ebay for awhile now, but I'll admit I'm still pretty amateurish. I've used ebay to sell off my collection a couple of times now, and I always used to ship only within the U.S. I got screwed by low bids several times, and now that I'm selling again I've made sure to allow international bidders, and it definitely helps.

However, I feel like I'm just waiting to get screwed though. I just sent my first registered item (to Spain) and, yes it makes everyone sure you mailed "something", but can't whoever gets it claim the package was empty, or not the right item, etc?

Since ebay and paypal are so buyer protective, what's stopping someone from doing such a thing? Even when you go to great lengths to make sure you, they, and the post offices know that your item was shipped?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

So I had a bad experience on Ebay a few months ago and it really scared me away. Here is a link to the thread and all the info:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12956

I plan to sell some expensive stuff (Dreadnoughts, Volcs, Wastelands, etc) so how can I ensure nothing like that happens?

Did you read the thread?

Ship with delivery confirmation at minimum, preferably also tracking and maybe insurance. Don't sell outside the US, it's not likely worth the extra risk. Set your Bidder Blocking controls as restrictive as eBay will let you.

But also know that if a buyer really wants to screw you, PayPal will probably let him no matter what you do. Such people are rare, luckily.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I'm thinking of selling some cards for the first time on eBay. I'm not looking at selling anything terribly expensive yet at this point, mostly in the $20-40 range for a playset (say, extra Wastelands and stuff). A few questions about the logistics:

1) I understand it's probably not expensive enough to be worth insuring, but expensive enough to get delivery confirmation for. Am I better served using a PayPal shipping label (which I understand comes with cheaper delivery confirmation), or am I better off just paying 75 cents at the post office?

2) Should I package my items in a bubble mailer? Or can I just use a standard envelope? I'd also be using penny sleeves and toploaders.

3) If I do use a PayPal shipping label, am I required to use a bubble mailer? Would I go to the nearest UPS or USPS to drop it off? Can I leave it in my mailbox to have it picked up by UPS/USPS?

4) If I decide to mail it regularly, am I allowed to send cards and toploaders via first-class (i.e. with a regular 44c "Forever" stamp)? Will one stamp be enough? I know someone mentioned one stamp should cover 4 cards, a penny sleeve, and the toploaders. Can anyone confirm that?

Thank you very much in advance for answering my questions!

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I can't comment on the rest of your questions but please god ship your cards in bubble mailers. I die a little on the inside every time I get a set of cards in a regular envelope when I'm paying on the low side 2 bucks and a high side of 5 dollars.

Edit: 600th post
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    I can't comment on the rest of your questions but please god ship your cards in bubble mailers. I die a little on the inside every time I get a set of cards in a regular envelope when I'm paying on the low side 2 bucks and a high side of 5 dollars.

Edit: 600th post
    It's not so much the cost of the bubble mailer that's annoying, but more an unfamiliarity with how it works. Do I ship such packages via USPS? Do I use First-Class or Media Mail? I need to find the weight of my package in ounces? How do I do that without a scale and without waiting in line for 20 minutes at the post office?

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    It's not so much the cost of the bubble mailer that's annoying, but more an unfamiliarity with how it works. Do I ship such packages via USPS? Do I use First-Class or Media Mail? I need to find the weight of my package in ounces? How do I do that without a scale and without waiting in line for 20 minutes at the post office?
    well if you are printing via paypal i always just put in 2 oz on weight as long as it is 3 playsets or less with a standard #000 mailer I ship via USPS with DC and it cost a little under $2 for shipping throw in a packing peanut to make it over 3/4 " thick package or it has to ship via priority.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Mar 2009
    Austin, TX

When I ship 4 cards in a penny sleeve + toploader in a bubble envelope it is about 0.80 ounces. I think it's sometimes considered a large envelope rather than a letter and requires $0.88 within the U.S. now I think.

Personally I just stick 2 stamps on it and mail it from home. Delivery Confirmation and Insurance isn't even worth it within the U.S. in my opinion.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post

Fuck shipping media mail. And by that I mean I ordered something off a guy on Amazon who was in New Jersey and he shipped it media mail. I live in Upstate New York and it took a week and a half to get here, and he shipped it the day I ordered it.

Fuck media mail.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Bad Combo Player

Oct 2007

What I've found best is that the paypal prices for DC seem a lot cheaper, and paypal's shipping labels are better if someone trys to screw you on ebay.
    What I do is every time I need them, go out and buy a bulk box of CD size Bubble Mailers, they are the best and cheapest I can find for shipping cards, and from there I put cards in a sleeve, and then a toploader.

Please, never put more than 2-3 cards in a single toploader, I've seen too many cards get stress marks and such from that, as well as getting bent even in a regular envelope with a toploader.

What I usually do is 2 cards -> sleeve->toploader->tape shut ->bubble mailer -> tissues/paper(stuff it to be thick enough for DC) -> tape bubble mailer shut -> add paypal sticker or own mailing label.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Nemcon View Post
    Please, never put more than 2-3 cards in a single toploader, I've seen too many cards get stress marks and such from that, as well as getting bent even in a regular envelope with a toploader.
    Oops. I did everything right except stuff 4 cards in the toploader.

To my credit, I did warp the toploader before I stuck the cards in so that they would fit more loosely though.

Mar 2009
    Austin, TX

I always stick up to 4 per loader, and sometimes it's tough getting them in, but 2 loaders and I'd have to bump up the shipping. I stay at $1.50, which is usually on the lower end.

Bad Combo Player

Oct 2007

Its just very bad when I'm risking damaging cards I get because they are stuffed 4-5 into a toploader. I understand that another toploader increases shipping, but if you are using first class packages, its only another $0.19-.20 I believe, more than enough to pay to ensure the buyer doesn't recieve damaged cards. I remember trying to delicately cut a toploader open a few weeks pack for a playset of Figures I got, because not only were they 4 packed, but not sleeved in the toploader....that was a bitch.

Aug 2008
    Arkansas

I use 75 and 100pt toploaders for shipping there are for the really thick sports cards and you can put 2 playsets in them and they slide right out when you tip them over I usually put 1 playset in sleeves per 75 pt and put that in a team bag very secure and very safe
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Bubble mailers are completely unnecessay for cards. I use thick cardboard - free, as opposed to upwards of $1 for a mailer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...mer-protection
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I go up to 3 cards for a regular toploader and they make slightly larger ones than you normally see and I use those for 4-6 cards. I tape two of them together and sleeve the cards in between for more than that. Somewhere along the way if it seems like enough I will include one of those plastic cases for cards and use a bubble mailer. They always get penny sleeves.

I just like the mailers because it looks better to the person who bought from you if you bothered to do the extra mile. I hate it when people are cheap and try and cut corners. I do use a regular envelope if it's only 4 cards or less though since it's a waste to bother with a bubble mailer for so few unless they are expensive ones.

I get a lot of return people coming back to buy from me especially for sets since they are packed extremely well and come in a nice plastic case good enough to keep the set in. It's a little costly and I do pass on some of that, but most people forget how much they paid for shipping when they get it anyway and have nothing but praise later.

I've had batches of auctions go by where I get a bunch of feedback and none of it raises my rating since they were all return customers. I don't mind too much when that happens. I know I did a good job making it look memorable enough to come back when I see the same names again.

Aug 2008
    Arkansas

When I buy Bubble mailers I get them in bulk on ebay I think 500 come out to .12c each after shipping my shipping supplies for 4 cards is as follows

1-75 pt toploader .15c
    1-team bag .05c
    4-used sleeves (i buy bulk collections so have hundreds if not thousands of these) .10c for 4 (if I had to buy them)
    1-Bubble mailer .12c
    1-Delivery confirmation and shipping $1.85

so $2.25 +/- I charge $3 shipping per playset and offer $1 per playset after that in the same envelope. I have never had a complaint and a the extra .75c+ goes towards offsetting the cost of accepting paypal and my ebay fees.

For overseas orders its the same deal but I add in a registered priority envelope for $15 Only way I will ship outside the US.

I have a lot of repeat business , and a lot of new people who there friends have told them to buy from me since I am one of the best shippers they have seen.

Remember when you are packing them cards, what would you think if you were the one receiving them.

A plain envelope is fine if they charged a $1 or free shipping for cards valued at under $10 But i expect at least a top loader unless its a playset of commons. Then I don't care since the stamp cost more then the cards.

Mar 2009
    Austin, TX

It costs me almost exactly $1.50 in postage and supplies for up to 4 cards within the US, so that's what I charge. Up to a certain point, the cost of adding another 1-4 cards is pretty minimal, so I only ask for $0.50 per extra playset.

I know that as a buyer, $3.00+ for shipping within the US is pretty terrible for just First Class. Confirmation and insurance are really a waste of money if you ask me.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Here's a good trick for you guys. I just lately had to do this. A guy in a foreign country (Spain) notorious for lost mail claims he didn't receive a box. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I like to check.

I told him I do have a way to verify the arrival of the package, it just takes me around 15 days to do it. (I don't). 5 hours later, he said it showed up. Yeah, that's what I thought. So one, he was just impatient, or two, he was trying to scam and backed out thinking I had a way to prove the package arrived.

What's funny is I have used that stupid trick a number of times and if people wait out the 15 days, I refund the money. It's surprising how many people automatically come back saying they got it. Hard to say if they were trying to say they didn't get it or if the mail was a little slow.

Either way, lot of people have no clue what the post office is capable of and think I can track a package in Spain or wherever. There's no way to do it past Fed Ex actually, but it sure saves a lot of hassle making people think you can.

Thread Information