Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How to get the most out of Ebay

Re: How to get the most out of Ebay

That's why I only ship to the U.S. and Canada. That's good enough for me.

The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Nov 2006
    London

Dumbfounded each and every time.

Someone knows something I don't.

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post

When you're right you're right. Three dollar shipping is way to much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Also, this thread needs more drunk Peter Rotten.
    Team ICBE - We're so good at playing Threshold, we don't even play it.

Team Keg Stand - If only the kegs weren't empty...

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post

Oooooooooooooh! So THAT'S why I can't find anything decent here on the Chinese interwebtubes... they're selling them abroad at ridiculous prices.

Is it just me, since I have minimal ebay experience, or is the bid history odd? From a bid of $3.50 to a bid of $65.00 and then four more bids by the same person up to $107.50. Bidding on their own shit (and I do mean shit)?
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Nov 2006
    London

When I say I am amazed each any every time, I am implying that this is not uncommon. Japanese foil Desolation Angels actually sell for $150-200.

hehe, noobasaur.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

The bid history makes sense if you read it by date and time.

The top bidder who won made the bid earlier than most. People were bidding against him hard. He must have had it set really high.

I don't really get why a Desolation Angel fetches so high a price though. It's good in EDH and a few oddball formats, but that's it. I guess I don't see the appeal of having one like that. I'd just go with English and save myself a ton of money.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Wanted to add this. A sourcer PMed me with this question and it seemed like a good addition to the list of useful junk.

Quote Originally Posted by OurSerratedDust
    Just thought I'd shoot a question by you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:MEWNX:IT#shId

This morning, I bidded on the above auction, for a card lot worth quite a bit. It was almost seven in the morning, so I thought I'd check to see if I could steal any magic auction's ending around then, and came upon this.

I bidded and won, but my winning price is very very far off the lot's actual worth ($500ish?). This user is a very new user, with no feedback, from the Philippines, and with a couple of other eternal auctions currently going on.

Now, I suppose my question would be, what can I do to increase my chances of receiving the item I bidded for? I've used ebay before, but I'm not as aware of the ins and outs as someone like you might be. It would seem to me however that this person could easily rid themselves of their ebay account, never send the cards, etc, in order to hold on to the lot.

So, what should I do to maximize the chances of actually getting the cards? Does this look legitimate? Should I email the user? Is it even likely I will receive them?

Thank you so much for your time, and your input is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ok, I replied with this.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai
    Well, I went and looked it over and it looks like it's legit except for one thing. The odd payment method. I've never seen Moneybookers before. I'm leary of anyone who uses Western Union or some crap like that. Paypal is too widely used on Ebay nowadays. No other payment method? Bah.

I'd check that company out really well before using it. I typed in "Moneybookers scam" in Google to read what I got. I did it quickly and got quite a bit of stuff about how the site is legit, but it's not hard to do scams over it because it seems it's fairly anonomous in the transfers. I don't like that part.

What says legit on the auction is the fact he actually had pictures that look like they were taken with a camera phone. That's good.

He also seems to live in Binan Laguna which oddly enough I happen to know is one really nice section of the Philippines (ie. richer peoples). That's good also. Kinda says he actually would have money to have bought them in the first place.

So you end up with a guy who sounds legit, but this one's really 50/50 with that payment thing. I'd ask if he takes Paypal and write "purposefully" that you will take a bit longer if you have to use the Moneybookers route and would prefer Paypal so you can get the money to him that day.

If he doesn't agree to that, sign up for this Moneybookers with a credit card that has an internet usage policy on it. Ask the bank about it. Some cards have insurance on internet purchases and will repay you if it turns out to be a scam. If you're quick and already have a credit card you can practically have one with internet insurance within one day if you go to the bank and ask for one. II have one and they even get your money back the same day. Quite handy for bidding on sketchy people.

I don't think I would just blindly pay with any old credit card on that site. Definitely don't use a straight bank account number of course.

I was reading the random articles about Moneybookers and there seems to be an identical site out there so be sure to check the URL at the top of your screen to make sure you're actually at thier site if you sign up.

Tangled web indeed. I think if I had won this one, I would ask about the paypal first unless I already had a card that would refund me the money if he decides he's going to cut and run. I like having back up and I'm not fond of weird shit money sites. I know they are usually legit, but it bothers me. I'd rather send a damned check or money order.

It's a nice deal if it works out for you though. Good luck and I hope I helped some.

I figure there's quite a few people who end up with auctions like that and that might help some. I have won quite a few auctions that seemed like total scammage, but the cards showed up. I remember getting some Berzerks like that for virtually nothing because I took a chance on having to report it to a credit card company. Usually, the companies are quite quick to return the money so I didn't mind trying.

All in all, sometimes you can get a good deal, but sometimes it's a possible scam. This one was hard to tell really, but a little research can tell you a lot.

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

Moneybookers is essentially one of the myriad ewallets on the internet - t used to be one of the methods a lot of people handled poker transfers with, so it definitely was legit then. It's still used by PokerStars, except it doesn't accept US customers anymore, IIRC. However, I don't know anything about recourse through MB or Ebay should the user pay with it. That's about all the extra info I can give.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Is blatantly lying with the proof right in the picture a good way to get the most out of ebay?

Survival of the Fittest. Notice the "MINT/NEAR MINT" followed by "Picture is of Actual Scanned Card" ... and I'm sure you noticed the pic. Wow.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Looks like the guy decided to sell a bunch of stuff at once and used a template for the auctions not noticing he needed to change that particular one to reflect that it's not near mint. I'd go by the picture for that one. Notice the rest of his auctions all have the same wording with only the name of the card changed. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose. It happens a lot and it's an easy mistake to make with a bunch of them going out all at once.

I am the Walrus
    Jan 2008

What do you guys think about posting scans of cards vs. digital camera pictures for cards that you're selling? Is it a big deal? I know that as a buyer, I like scans b/c I can clearly see the card condition, but on the flip side it's easier for sellers to use pix that aren't theirs. When a seller posts a digital camera pic, u can usually tell that they do indeed have the cards, but the conditions aren't as easy to make out.

I'd also appreciate any feedback that you guys have on my current auctions (link in my sig), as I am going to be selling a lot of high value cards over the coming months and want to make sure that I'm doing shit right.
    My Ebay Shit <---- Foily Tarmogoyf!

"Sounds like someone wants to get raped again" - Handbanana

Argyle sweaters make things better.
    May 2009
    Maine/Worcester, MA

This is a little off topic, but does anyone have experience with using craigslist to get old collections and stuff?

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by OurSerratedDust View Post
    This is a little off topic, but does anyone have experience with using craigslist to get old collections and stuff?
    Craigslist is great when you can actually meet up with the seller and do a face-to-face transaction. I would never use it for mail purchases though, since there's not much you can do if you get scammed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

What do you guys do when you win an auction at a great price, and the seller is not willing to honor the winning bid at that price? Several times, I've been told that the cards must have been lost in the mail--of course, it's always when the winning bid is well below market value.

Jan 2007
    Milwaukee, WI, USA

Negative feedback, and report them to ebay as a bad seller. There's a form for it.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

And of course file with Paypal also (if you used it) since for some reason despite being owned by the same people it is separate when it comes to disputes. It's quite easy to get your money back.

Argyle sweaters make things better.
    May 2009
    Maine/Worcester, MA

There seems to be a lot of duals for sale on eBay lately from sellers with few feedback, and all from Malaysia. I picked up two "taiga's" for about 18.00 each, and it turns out they are extremely fake. I'm going to try to get my money back through eBay, but this is just a warning to everyone else to be careful.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

There seems to be a lot of duals for sale on eBay lately from sellers with few feedback, and all from Malaysia. I picked up two "taiga's" for about 18.00 each, and it turns out they are extremely fake. I'm going to try to get my money back through eBay, but this is just a warning to everyone else to be careful.
    Make sure to leave a negative feedback. I've gotten ripped off on eBay be foreand hesitated to leave a negative feedback because I didn't want a retaliatory negative feedback; it turns out eBay has changed policies so that sellers can no longer leave buyers anything but positive feedback (i.e. they can only leave positive feedback or no feedback, but they can't leave negative or neutral).

When you leave a feedback, eBay will automatically ask you if you had a problem with the transaction, and it should be pretty easy to recover your money. Do this as soon as reasonably possible--do not wait too long, like I had done, or you will miss your 45-day window and will be shit out of luck.

It'll be trivial to at least get the seller shut down in eBay/PayPal; you'll get your money back too unless they already abandoned their paypal account. Just file a dispute on eBay.

Also notify Wizards, with as much info as possible: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_faqid=115 http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_prods=773
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information