Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: How to get the most out of Ebay

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: How to get the most out of Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    About 15% of uninsured packages (<20€) did not arrive last year via MKM. Suspicious
    Then I'm one lucky boy. I did not receive two orders from over seventy and one of them was fully compensated. Otoh, I can't tell how many of them were uninsured, but as I don't buy any expensive items too often (I don't need anything special), most of them must have been untracked, yet they still did reach me.
    I guess that some of the national post services are simply bad. I'd say Italian post sucks.

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    About 15% of uninsured packages (<20€) did not arrive last year via MKM. Suspicious
    Where did you get those figures from? I highly doubt them. I don't know a single user of MKM in person (and I know some) who had issues with lost packages near the realm of 15%. The history of lost packages is visible in each member's profile and and it's below 2% for the majority of people.
    Look at Pithing needle form M10 "https://www.magickartenmarkt.de/Pith....c1p21263.prod for example and see whether 15% is close to accurate.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mister M. View Post
    Where did you get those figures from? I highly doubt them. I don't know a single user of MKM in person (and I know some) who had issues with lost packages near the realm of 15%. The history of lost packages is visible in each member's profile and and it's below 2% for the majority of people.
    Look at Pithing needle form M10 "https://www.magickartenmarkt.de/Pith....c1p21263.prod for example and see whether 15% is close to accurate.
    Excuse me? If like 1 out of 7 or 8 orders somehow did not make it, because sellers love to miss additional adress information or miss the postal code (Berlin, like other big cities has a lot of same named streets as you know) is sad. Lost package history is below 2% because a lot of people refund lost and returned shipments resulting in a deal about marking the shipment arrived, which is kinda ok.

In fact, MKM banned me during last year for a couple of weeks because of that issue, which was quite a joke and got fixed after I mailed to them.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

So, as I understand, you are deriving the 15% rate of lost uninsured letters from your personal experience? Further, you are guessing, the lost package rate which is reported as "below 2%" for most sellers is, in reality, more than 7 fold higher due to non-mandatory refunds. If your extrapolation of your personal experience was appropriate, most people would stop selling because they weren't making any money worth the hassle.
    I do not doubt you had bad experiences using MKM, but I dont't think, that is the norm.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mister M. View Post
    So, as I understand, you are deriving the 15% rate of lost uninsured letters from your personal experience? Further, you are guessing, the lost package rate which is reported as "below 2%" for most sellers is, in reality, more than 7 fold higher due to non-mandatory refunds. If your extrapolation of your personal experience was appropriate, most people would stop selling because they weren't making any money worth the hassle.
    I do not doubt you had bad experiences using MKM, but I dont't think, that is the norm.
    Of course it is a personal experience only. Asuming you did not have big issues, despite living in the same city, I can obviously break it down to the beforementioned problems with the adress
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Ok, so while building my brand new EDH - ppl, me playing highlander, wow, that's so 1999 -, I bothered myself with MKM. And, I'm going to share a piece of wisdom, one that many of you know, nut w/e.
    Really, there's zero point in pestering with the purchases. I made the mistake of not being good with what Purchase Woizard (or however is the function called) offered me, and manually went throguh the purchases. Well, in fact no, I didn't. I shaved the cards down to thirty, but it was still inhuman task. So I went to some sixteen or so, but this still was too much of a trouble. So I simply listed the ten most expensive cards and went from there. SEveral hours later, and I mean really, several hours later, I finished my set of orders for no more than twelve "money" cards (plus some garbage) turning this into a real deal, cause you know, there's nothing more satisfying than wasting half a day with MtG paperworks and make some three Euros in the end. If I'd be wiser, I'd purchase all the stuff form the offered guys (one of them being not a guy, but a flgs), and went to bed around midnight, not when the birds began to sing.
    Now lets not even start about all the inevitable cancelments and lost envelopes. Bah...

tl, dr: MKM is not worth your time, use it for chase rare hunts or some kind of sniper's work, not for bigger purchases.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Stupid international shipping question:

I sold a card on eBay to someone in Singapore. I packed it in a small bubble mailer. I went to the post office and they said I had to mail it as a package for $7.10. I said it should only be a couple dollars for first class but the lady said it was a package, even though it was only an ounce.

I didn't ship it and left. It's been a few years since I mailed anything internationally so I wanted to be informed before I start arguing with her. Anyway I looked it up and my package meets all the qualifications of a letter (rigid, uniformly thick, no more than 3/4" thick, etc.) So I shouldn't have a problem sending it as a letter right?

Aside: There are two clerks at my post office; the guy was always really cool but the lady was always a bit of a bitch. I don't think I'd have had this problem if the guy were there.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Stupid international shipping question:

I sold a card on eBay to someone in Singapore. I packed it in a small bubble mailer. I went to the post office and they said I had to mail it as a package for $7.10. I said it should only be a couple dollars for first class but the lady said it was a package, even though it was only an ounce.

I didn't ship it and left. It's been a few years since I mailed anything internationally so I wanted to be informed before I start arguing with her. Anyway I looked it up and my package meets all the qualifications of a letter (rigid, uniformly thick, no more than 3/4" thick, etc.) So I shouldn't have a problem sending it as a letter right?

Aside: There are two clerks at my post office; the guy was always really cool but the lady was always a bit of a bitch. I don't think I'd have had this problem if the guy were there.
    I hope you're prepared to lose the card and the money. Any shipping without web-accessible tracking is an easy way to lose a PayPal dispute. This is why I stopped shipping internationally on eBay more than 10 years ago. International shipping with web tracking, even for something envelope-sized, is $50+. Unless it's a several hundred dollar plus card forget it, no buyer is going to pay that.

As far as your question, I seriously doubt a bubble mailer qualifies for international letter post. You don't want to ship cards letter post anyway, since letter post goes through letter processing machines which can easily mangle cards. The whole point of using bubble mailers is to qualify for package and not letter.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    International shipping with web tracking, even for something envelope-sized, is $50+..
    Could it really be that expensive in the US? I can only speak for Germany, but I quite often ship simple letters with online-tracking worldwide and it costs between 3,- and 5,- €, depending on weight.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Could it really be that expensive in the US? I can only speak for Germany, but I quite often ship simple letters with online-tracking worldwide and it costs between 3,- and 5,- €, depending on weight.
    Granted my knowledge is a few years out of date, so things may have improved since.

Registered Mail, the grandaddy of international tracking, is useless for PayPal since (last I knew) it doesn't provide web tracking. Because it predates the internet. And phones.

There's USPS Tracking International, but that was useless last I knew because the tracking stopped at the US border. As I google it, it looks like they may have integrated with the tracking of about 30 other countries (pretty much Europe and Australia/NZ) so that might be an option now for the supported countries.

Which leaves Priority Mail Express International, the premium service, which starts at $50 for something the weight of a letter and goes up.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

I hope you're prepared to lose the card and the money. Any shipping without web-accessible tracking is an easy way to lose a PayPal dispute. This is why I stopped shipping internationally on eBay more than 10 years ago. International shipping with web tracking, even for something envelope-sized, is $50+. Unless it's a several hundred dollar plus card forget it, no buyer is going to pay that.

As far as your question, I seriously doubt a bubble mailer qualifies for international letter post. You don't want to ship cards letter post anyway, since letter post goes through letter processing machines which can easily mangle cards. The whole point of using bubble mailers is to qualify for package and not letter.
    This is a very different experience than I've had in the past. 5 years ago I was doing a lot of online trading via message board. I forget the name of the site, but there were a lot of international people on there. I was looking for German pimp stuff and traded for a decent amount, so I had a lot of packages coming in and out of Europe. Most of my trades were between $25 and $50 worth of cards, and everything worked out fine. I also recall being able to track the customs form number online.

I'm not looking to mail letter post; the maximum thickness for letter post is 1/4", even with a rigid object (where I would avoid the machine by paying the non-machinable surcharge). A bubble mailer actually qualifies as a Large Envelope:

Quote Originally Posted by USPS.com Shipping Calculator
    Dimension Minimum* Maximum
    Height 6-1/8 inches (15.557 cm) 12 inches (30.480 cm)
    Length 11-1/2 inches (29.210 cm) 15 inches (38.100 cm)
    Thickness 1/4 inch (0.635 cm) 3/4 inch (1.905 cm)

* Large envelopes exceed at least one of these dimensions.

For example, an envelope 10 inches long x 8 inches high x 1/4 inch thick
    (25.400 cm x 20.320 cm x 0.635 cm) is considered a large envelope because it exceeds the minimum height dimension.

Large envelopes that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package prices.

For large envelopes, length is the longest dimension.

For larger items, see package prices.
    It's a small bubble mailer, but since it's between 1/4" and 3/4" thick, it's considered a large envelope, not a package. At 1 oz. (the quoted weight at the post office), the price for shipping is a completely reasonable $2.38. This is much more reasonable than $7.10, and what I'm used to in the past.

Well, investigating further, I kind of answered my own question. I have a package to pick up, so I have to go back Monday. I hope the guy's there. If not I'll have this ready on my phone to show the lady.

Just be aware that you're trading extra profit for extra risk. Scammers will specifically seek out listings that are being sent without meeting PayPal's seller guidelines, since it's easy money. Maybe you'll never get burned, but more likely it's just a matter of time.
    -David DeLaney

Just be aware that you're trading extra profit for extra risk. Scammers will specifically seek out listings that are being sent without meeting PayPal's seller guidelines, since it's easy money. Maybe you'll never get burned, but more likely it's just a matter of time.
    Don't be so scared. I'm tired of seeing Ebay auctions finishing for 1/2-2/3 the price I'd had bid if it wasn't because the seller didn't want to sell internationally. Scammers are a minority and you are losing lots of potential honest buyers by not sending overseas (or only wanting to send with super expensive shipping methods, or even worse, with the horrible Ebay Global Shipping Program, which forces us to pay custom taxes).

So I won this auction a while back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171955400032...xe=exe,ext=ext

And here's what happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear jakeshoes0426,

Your negative feedback was worth the extra $150 it sold for when I relisted it. Sorry you're so salty.

- thegrinningdemon

New message from: thegrinningdemon Top Rated Seller(1,271Red Star)
    I don't expect a positive feedback since we did not complete a transaction. There was an error in my listing and I refunded your money right away. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Your previous message

We can talk back and forth all day but to save time I'm assuming you're not selling me these? If not, I absolutely cannot give you positive feedback.

thegrinningdemon:
    That was my only recourse when eBay would not allow me to change the title. Unfortunately, the description I added is far less searchable than the auction's title. I wish I had noticed the mistake before it was too late.
    Your previous message

Then why did you add the description as "This auction includes 4X Japanese Foil Brainstorm from Mercadian Masques. The cards in the picture are the exact ones you will receive."?

thegrinningdemon:
    The title did not state that the cards are Japanese. It did not state that the auction was for 4X Foil Brainstorm. Most bidders assumed I was only selling one English foil Brainstorm.
    Your previous message

Hello,

I'm not understanding your statement. How does the title affect this sale at all? Please elaborate.

thegrinningdemon:
    Hello,

I apologize, but I cannot sell these cards for the sold price because of serious listing errors found in the auction's title. The auction's title did not match the pictures I provided. I don't think the quantity or language was clear for this auction for many bidders. I had several people question what I was selling. Unfortunately, eBay would not let me end the item early so my only recourse is to refund you the purchase price for these cards or work out another solution. Once again, I apologize for the error and hope you will not hold this against me since. I have relisted the cards if you want to bid again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to know your reputation is worth $150.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

You seem really, really salty about something that you never owned. It's like being salty that the guy at the yardsale on the corner realized at the last minute that his box of "old junk" is actually worth something.

He's a dick for reposting instead of sucking up the loss, sure, but two wrongs don't make a right. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    You seem really, really salty about something that you never owned. It's like being salty that the guy at the yardsale on the corner realized at the last minute that his box of "old junk" is actually worth something.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Get over it.
    You're analogy does not apply at all to this situation.

The seller did not like the price so he canceled the transaction. I posted negative feedback and in turn he taunts me with the message.

I highly doubt he "realized his old box of junk is worth something".

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bondfan View Post

The seller did not like the price so he canceled the transaction. I posted negative feedback and in turn he taunts me with the message.

I highly doubt he "realized his old box of junk is worth something".
    Don't worry, you aren't the first:

After I won the auction for 4 cards, I was refunded, he meant to sell 1 not 4 Buyer: g***a

Reply by thegrinningdemon (Apr-04-15 09:15):
    Sometimes you just can't win.

MTG Magic Shadowmoor 4X Cerulean Wisps MINT UNPLAYED (#111483571670) US $0.99
    The only salty thing is this motherfucker's tears when he makes a dumb mistake.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by bondfan View Post

You're fucking vengeful, and you don't see what the other wrong is?

Get over it and yourself.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Wait, he wouldn't sell you 4x Cerulean Wisps for $1???

Oct 2011
    Columbus, OH

I honestly thought it was settled. Then I get a negative feedback. Yeah I probably deserve it, but still I'm just a guy with a job trying to support his Magic addiction by selling a few cards on eBay. I fucked up now I'm getting shamed on the Internet. What day...I'm too old for this shit.

Thread Information