Page 102 of 299 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 5963

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)

Re: [DTB] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)

Quote Originally Posted by urdjur View Post
    I'm happy to see that it's possible to cut Ponder and only run Brainstorm and SDT as cantrips. No MD Infernal Tutor/IGG seemed strange at first, but when I thought about it, you might as well go Mystical -> Burning Wish -> IGG as you can go Mystical -> IT -> IGG. Since you probably only want IT as a Mystical target to get IGG as you crack LED, it seems very tight and reasonable to go with IT/IGG in the SB. I love tight and reasonable, so this makes me entirely happy with the first 20 cards of the list.
    The real reason you want IT 90% of the time is that it's the third most efficient way of casting Ad Nauseam (behind Ad Nauseam and Mystical->Ad Nauseam). That it sometimes destroys decks that otherwise couldn't beat you anyway with little thought is just a bonus. That said, I'm not impressed by it as a third option and found myself in situations where I couldn't AdN but didn't want to IGG either. This made Wish->Doomsday very attractive, and Wish provides alternate benefits in protection, removal, additional win conditions, and varying bombs.

The 7 discard effect seems like a natural result of cutting white, and perhaps that Counterbalance is a bigger threat to the deck than a hand with multiple counters. Since I have no actual play experience with the deck, I reserve judgement if precisely 7 protection cards is optimal, and if it's optimal for all of them to be 1-for-1 discard. Thoughtseize does seem bad MD though, what with AdN, and DD not exactly being the picture of health either. I guess you simply try to cram in as much protection as you can, and optimize the slots for your meta.
    This doesn't make sense. Why is losing two life bad with Ad Nauseam in the deck? There is nothing that forces you to win with Ad Nauseam and given so many initial mana sources and win conditions you often don't need as much life to win the game. Doomsday requires 2 life to combo off with. It is completely orthogonal to Doomsday since anytime you need protection after Doomsday you use Duress in your pile.

Discard providing hand information, the ability to punish mulligans, and the ability to remove permanent-based threats is far more important than dealing with decks that run multiple hard counters (given that they largely don't exist besides Landstill, which you can't lose to anyway unless they side in 8+ cards that are Mages plus Counterbalances). Tempo Thresh is on a large decline, and UW Tempo and Merfolk are both extremely vulnerable to discard effects. Not splashing into a 4th or 5th color is a further benefit to the 7-8 discard.

The acceleration department gives me the most twitches. I'd like to cut Chrome Mox entirely. I also note with some surprise that neither Rite of Flame nor Cabal Ritual is in there, but SSG is. I get that SSG has the whole no mana investment thing going for it, but it doesn't build storm and is 3cc for AdN. Cabal Ritual does indeed seem antisynergistic with Mox and SSG not building threshold, but I guess what I'm basically asking is: Could you simply replace the 6 slots of Mox + SSG with a combination of Rite and Cabal? I think I'd prefer that more, but I suppose I'm missing some hidden tech here.
    Rite of Flame and Cabal Ritual, at least 80% of the time, provide a net mana of one. Rite of Flame causes an initial mana investment of R (an off color) and Cabal Ritual requires an initial investment of two but in the primary combo color. Neither are good off Ad Nauseam without first seeing initial mana sources. Further, Cabal Ritual providing 5 mana is something that is required more by UB ANT since it lacks most of the ability to properly abuse LED vs discard strategies by way of 4 SDT. SSG provides most of what Rite of Flame and Cabal Ritual do while acting as an initial mana source and helping to combat Daze and Spell Pierce.

In regards to the issue of it costing three, count the total CMC of the deck and subtract 5. Now compare to the Grand Prix lists. Note where NLS has more and cheaper win conditions while providing more initial mana and a comparable average mana cost (avg mana cost = (total CMC - 5)/59). I have never lost a game soley due to flipping a lot of Simian Spirit Guides. I've lost a lot of games where I didn't run SSG and didn't hit enough initial mana to win that turn.

Next I wonder about mana ratios. How was it determined that precisely 15 lands and 18 acceleration was optimal? Play experience and general consensus? Does the 15/18 ratio vary depending on what lands and acceleration you decide to run? Assuming you want to maximize the number of fetches to abuse SDT, going with a 8/7 split of fetches and targets seems unnecessarily "secure". A 10/5 split with 1 each of the duals + island + swamp should be sufficient, no? How often do you need to fetch more than 5 land in a game? If exactly 8 fetches is optimal for another reason, I'd like to know what the rationale is.
    Fewer than 3 red duals completely rules out Pulverize. To be honest, Pulverize really wants 4 red duals, but the value of shuffle effects and basics is greater to me than the games I lost because I can't cast Pulverize due to double waste. I've played 7, 8, and 9 fetches. I feel that I like 7 or 8 the best.

Finally some questions re: the sideboard. How much does the lack of green and white hurt when it comes to sideboard choices like Xantid Swarm etc? I assume that it would be simple to change around a couple of the MD duals if it was a big issue.
    If you want to, you can replace a fetchland or an underground sea with a Tropical Island and/or Bayou. Green gives you Xantid Swarm and to a lesser extent (due to Shelldock Isle+Emrakul) Krosan Grip. If you feel like 8 duress isn't enough and pyroblast isn't good enough, by all means play Swarm. I don't.

White is awful. If you want a chant effect, play Xantid Swarm. Chant is bad vs Counterbalance and significantly worse than Xantid Swarm vs Merfolk. The only place where it's notably better is vs Dredge, but you don't really need much help in that matchup, and anything you play is worse than a Ravenous Trap. Vs Storm, you can't side enough chants to turn into the control player and you don't want to really ruin your engine. It's better to use Duresses as necessary to play offense and defense and setup eot Ad Naus or wish->combo bullet.

The "spare engine parts" in the SB seems overly redundant. How important is the extra copy of Tendrils when you could just wish for Infernal Tutor to grab (or IGG to recur) the MD copy, or go for an early EtW instead? How important is Grapeshot as an extra wincon - or is it simply the prefered creature hate over something like Deathmark? Why would you EVER want to run something like Infernal Contract over Meditate? Worrying about REB seems silly when loosing half your life twice against a deck packing red isn't a bit more attractive (the IGG engine seems a better option here) - especially since the deck is obviously not very afriad of throngs of more common blue counters either. Finally, how useful is Diminishing Returns when you could simple IT for the MD AdN instead? Having the opp draw 7 seems more problematic than producing the extra 2 mana for the IT route, when you don't want the IGG/DD engines instead. I also wonder how often one really uses Balance of Power.
    Your reasoning here shows you have never even sleeved up the deck/goldfished it on MWS.

Wish->Tendrils is extremely common and one of the reasons NLS has better Ad Nauseams than anything besides TES (which, incidentally, also runs Wish->Tendrils). It's useful in LED Doomsday piles to add storm for free and serves as an out to increasingly common hate like Sad Sac.

Grapeshot is only necessary if you're playing Helm of Awakening. It's rare that you'll wish for it if you have Deathmark in your sideboard since Deathmark requires less setup to kill hate bears and is cheaper (doesn't tend to require burning accel). Wish->Grapeshot then play Tendrils is extremely rare and not something I've encountered since play some of the original TES builds.

If you examine the list, I'm playing Meditate. Infernal Contract is a wish target that lets you turn Burning Wish into a draw4, particularly efficient when paired with Doomsday. I use Wish->Draw4 constantly and would posit that anyone who doesn't do it with NLS is missing turns where they could win had they thought through their situation. Further, the black draw4 is sided in vs blue/red tempo decks (Tempo Thresh and Dreadstill) so that it doesn't get REB'd. These decks will rarely keep in many Lightning Bolts vs you since they have so many other, far more effective cards and REB is not something that you can afford to waste Duress effects on.

Diminishing Returns is extremely useful for pushing the goldfish speed vs aggro. You can't simply IT->AdN because that costs a total of 9 mana. Wish->DReturns costs 6 mana for a crapshot and 7-8 mana for a nearly guaranteed win. If you have 9 mana, go for the Ad Nauseam, but making 9 mana doesn't always happen, especially in the early turns where it would be useful vs aggro (decks that largely cannot punish you for a failed DReturns anyway).

Nobody will play Balance of Power now that Recurring Insight is legal. Balance of Power never realy came up for me since anytime I wanted that card (only vs control), I could either afford to wait to get to a total of 6 with SDT in play(for Doomsday), cast ETW (because it's early), or cast DReturns (again because it's early). If it's mid to late game, you probably have SDT and even without it, Doomsday or Infernal Contract are both likely to be better for you. If it's early, DReturns can screw them out of a hand that was good enough to keep without a way to counter your Wish->Bomb or ETW can put you in a good position vs non-EE blue. Recurring Insight fits into the strategy as it's a mana cheaper than Wish->IT->Ad Nauseam, and doesn't penalize you if you fail (although if you fail with 10+ cards, you probably deserve to).

A tighter SB engine obviously leaves more room for more situational hate like Sadistic Sacrament etc. that could be really useful on occasion. I have to ask though, why is Pulverize prefered over Shattering Spree, and what's the use of Firespout at all? Doesn't this deck stomp aggro already? Not running a single bounce spell MD seems risky - wouldn't a singe Wipe Away be at least as useful as discard #7 against CounterTop, and more versatile in general too?

Why do you need a bounce spell? If they resolve Counterbalance you have a one turn window to Mystical Tutor and hope it doesn't get countered. Further, if they do it on turn two, you have to hope they don't have some sort of manip (say, SDT), to just hang a 3cc on top during their end step each turn (since upkeep Wipe Away to avoid the 3 isn't practical (they just replay CB that turn). Your plan vs Counterbalance is to Duress them or go all-in on ETW/Ad Nauseam very fast. Game 2 you side in Shelldock Isle/Emrakul/additional Doomsdays and hope they don't have a lot of threes. The counterbalance matchup is about 50/50 preboard (vs Pro Bant) and favorable postboard with the Shelldrazi plan.

Wipe Away isn't more versatile than discard. All maindeck played permanent-based hate (with the exception of Enchantress stuff) is removable game one via Burning Wish. If you play Pulp_Fiction or Vroman's list (aka include the UU sorcery bounce spell), even enchantments are answerable. Discard lets you resolve your bombs. If you can resolve your bombs, you can deal with any permanent-hate except for Counterbalance, which you might not even be able to deal with effectively if you do have Wipe Away (you have to find Wipe Away, have to assemble a kill, and do this before they land a SDT and find a 3 to camp out on top of their deck). You're better off trying to setup bait for them to tap out of a 2 so you can Wish->ETW, and if you can't do that fast, better off scooping in game one to save time in your match.

Again, to play this deck you need to do math. Do the math on the mana cost of Pulverize, Shattering Spree, and then compare the two. Now, if you still don't understand, you probably will want to find another deck to play because NLS isn't it for you.

Firespout, as explained in the pages you claimed to have read, was due to Breathweapon (and myself) not having better cards to play in the sideboard.

@ Ad Nauseam

It's the most efficient storm engine. Nothing is cheaper than 3BB, as reliable, and only one card. Doomsday is close, but has a lot of conditionals and ends up costing either extra mana or extra cards/permanents to setup. IGG costs a lot of extra mana and imposes a graveyard condition and needs a way to find Tendrils (IT, extra Burning Wish, Mystical + draw spell). DReturns appears cheaper, but to be reliable to kill that turn will require additional mana floating (1-2) to get the win. Further, DReturns is generally played the turn it is found via Burning Wish, making its actual cost 3UUR (although there are some scenarios where it's correct to Wish->Returns, pass to set it up for next turn). ETW is vulnerable to other combo decks and cheap sweepers (the major one being EE) and is highly dependent on your opening hand. If ETW is not playe early, it opens itself up to a myriad of hate.

The reason we play the other stuff is that you don't always open up Duress + Mystical/AdN + 5 mana. There are games (even without SDT in the deck, say in a UB Saito list) where you spend a couple turns playing Cantrips/Mystical Tutor to assemble the combo. These games can end up diasterous in a lot of matchups and you quickly find yourself playing really shitty backup plans like double Tendrils (+ a healthy dose of prayer), mini tendrils Tendrils into 5 more mana for Adn, or losing. DReturns helps vs aggro. Doomsday helps vs randomness and attrition. ETW helps in certain blue matchups, and as an opportunity plan, is still effective. IGG comes in vs the heavy discard decks and allows Doomsday to be more effective in game ones vs certain hate (Chalice @ 1, heavy discard).
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

So I just noticed the link in emidln's sig about Doomsday piles. This has answered a large majority of my questions already. Oops.

Nov 2006
    Absurdistan

Your reasoning here shows you have never even sleeved up the deck/goldfished it on MWS.
    That's correct, and I hope I never have to. However, I want to have a fundamental understanding of storm archetypes and their card choices - partly to be able to SB better against them, and partly as a purely theoretical exercise.

Again, to play this deck you need to do math. Do the math on the mana cost of Pulverize, Shattering Spree, and then compare the two. Now, if you still don't understand, you probably will want to find another deck to play because NLS isn't it for you.
    The benefits of Pulverize are obvious of course, but since some lists run SS as a fetch target and others run Pulverize, it's difficult for a non storm player to understand if uncounterability or being free is more important. Especially since there seems to be no concensus on bounce cmcs either - by your reasoning, it would seem best to avoid the 3cc ones. Since I have no real interest in playing the deck in a near future, and more experienced people have already done the math and considered every card choice carefully (I hope), I thought it more efficient to simply ask away. Might help a few other lurkers that hesitate to ask stupid questions in the process too.

To be more precise, I'm not questioning if this or that wish target , build strategy or engine has its uses or not. Obviously it does. If it didn't, it wouldn't be played. I'm just trying to wrap my head around why so many options are needed (apart from satisfying the need to stroke one's genius, as it were, in solving the puzzles that present themselves). For example, let's return to the engines:

@ Ad Nauseam
    It's the most efficient storm engine. Nothing is cheaper than 3BB, as reliable, and only one card. Doomsday is close, but has a lot of conditionals and ends up costing either extra mana or extra cards/permanents to setup.
    [...]
    The reason we play the other stuff is that you don't always open up Duress + Mystical/AdN + 5 mana.
    It seems to me that your initial argument to run Ad Nauseam is that it's so cheap and efficient. Then you say that you play the other stuff because you don't always get 5 mana. Why would a more costly engine help if you have a lack of mana?

theintangiblefatman commented on the tactical worth of Ad Nauseam like so:

In my experience Ad Nauseam is the best engine against decks packing heavy discard and against random hate other than Chalice/Canonist/Teeg.
    So I go "OK", but then you say:

IGG comes in vs the heavy discard decks and allows Doomsday to be more effective in game ones vs certain hate (Chalice @ 1, heavy discard).
    So then it seems that IGG and Doomsday - not AdN - are your prefered methods of fighting heavy discard?

To me, this implies that you can fight heavy discard in a number of ways (to be expected in a deck packing 347 or so different options), using any of the three engines, but theintangiblefatman prefers the AdN route. That's still not a strong argument for the "need" to run AdN.

That leaves cheap and effective, but you mentioned the other options were good when you didn't have enough mana to even AdN, so that makes me confused as to the worth of a particularly cheap engine (obviously, other storm decks in the past have managed to make ends meet without it). As for effective, I guess my lazy ass will simply have to trust the combined math and experience of the pilots posting here, but it seems the other two engines let you elimate any random factor (such as what you happen to flip) on your part at least. For example:

It needs the least setup amongst all engines, essentially only requiring five mana to win, and drawing you into the bounce to hit that Meddling Mage or Runed Halo or what have you.
    But with Doomsday, you have absolute certainty of drawing that bounce. And it's no more expensive, as you'll realistically have to Mystical Tutor for that bounce unless you plan on flipping a lot.

Could somebody explain to me, in a rational and non-anecdotal fashion (so that a 5 year old could understand it) why an AdN hybrid build is more effective than throwing AdN out the window and optimizing you build for DDay, IGG, Burning Wish and friends? Having no experience with storm, I find it hard to wrap myself around that it's worth going to all the trouble just because it's 1 mana cheaper.
    Kar bankooer jeg

Feb 2006
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by urdjur View Post
    Could somebody explain to me, in a rational and non-anecdotal fashion (so that a 5 year old could understand it) why an AdN hybrid build is more effective than throwing AdN out the window and optimizing you build for DDay, IGG, Burning Wish and friends? Having no experience with storm, I find it hard to wrap myself around that it's worth going to all the trouble just because it's 1 mana cheaper.
    Actually that one mana makes all the difference in the world, here are some examples

Some Common plays

Land - > Ritual -> Ritual = 5 Mana

Land - > Land - > Threshold Cabal Ritual - > Ad Nauseam = 5 Mana

Land - > Land - > Dark Ritual - > Cabal Ritual - > Ad Nauseam = 5 Mana

Land - >Land - > Ritual - > Lion's Eye Diamond - > Infernal Tutor - > Ad Nauseam = 7 Mana

If it was 6 mana it would either take one turn more to play another land or it takes another mana accelerator. To simple it down the Ad Nauseam is there for the early wins, and the unconditional wins as long as you are over 11-13 life, although it is possible to win with lesser life it greatly increases your chances of death. It is good against discard because those decks are often slow, and it only takes an Ad Nauseam to win, the most unconditional win there is.
    Positive - Requires only 5 mana, and no further requirements except life
    Negative - It requires at least 11-13 life

The Doomsday is there for the long games where you want to wait a couple of turns and set up a good hand, this is where Ad Nauseam don't work since the longer you wait the lesser life you get. The downside of Ad Nauseam is it's requrements. You almost always need an draw spel when playing it, unless you want to go for the pass the turn pilse, although then you open yourself up to a world of difficulties.
    Positive - you Can wait longer than Ad Nauseam, there are a world of possibilities with the right setup
    Negative - It requires some setup to win - hence not being as unconditional as Ad Nauseam

Ill-Gotten Gains This is mainly here since the old Ad Nauseam days although it has some practical usefullness. It is good against all non blue decks providing at least 3 extra storm. It brings back Tendrils that have been discarded and other useful cards that might be needed to win and it plays well with multiple ritaul or LED effects together with Infernal Tutor -> tap 2 land play LED play Ritual play Infernal Tutor pop led discard hand search for Ill-Gotten Gains and play it bring back LED Ritual and infernal tutor -> play ritual LED and infernal tutor into Tendrils - together with an extra ritual or LED it is possible to search with infernal tutor 2 times bringing the storm up high enough for a kill. It utilizes LED and Infernal Tutor in an effective way and can discard the opponents hand if played first turn ;)
    Positive - it generates extra storm from the sources that you already have access to, utilizes LED and Infernal Tutor very well
    Negative - it is really bad against decks that can return FoW blue card and Spell pierce

Diminishing Return - It is an Ooooh shit button as someone pointed out, only requiering a few mana after an Burning Wish - that can't Fetch AD Nauseam or when you are low on life. In my personal opinion it is not needed together with Doomsday so I've cut it from the board

Edit
    forgot to ask, how has the Shelldock Emrakul worked out so far? How much does it improve your CB matchup?
    And on the reanimate matchup, maybe you should try Telemin performance in the board and one sorcery bounce to fetch with Burning wish, the Telemin Performance is also good against the mirror and Solidarity. Although the match is hard anyway it might better it slightly.

The "don't always have 5 mana for Ad Nauseam" has an implied "early" attached to it that most people should be able to figure out. As the game goes longer, your life total lessens (sometimes very quickly), and you end up not being able to use Ad Nauseam. In this mid to late games situations, Doomsday costing 4 mana but needing extra cards in hand or cantrips, or playing DReturns not needing life start to look very attractive.

AdN, Doomsday, and IT->IGG are all tactical options against discard that I would not want to be without. Ad Nauseam requires an discard deck to hit you with early targeted discard and won't abuse LED very well (one of your best plays against discard decks is to dump artifact mana and wait for the ability to use a mystical tutor or topdecked bomb). Doomsday and IT->IGG both allow you to win the game using LED mana + lands, something that is not usually possible without SDT for AdN if you pass turn 2.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Nov 2006
    Absurdistan

Thanks a lot Wave, that really sorts out the pros and cons for me. Go Sweden!
    Kar bankooer jeg

Nov 2009
    Seattle, WA

Well well, look what won Atlanta SSG... http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=32454

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by JonBarber View Post
    Well well, look what won Atlanta SSG... http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=32454
    That list looks like some delicious copy pasta.

*sigh*

Nov 2009
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    That list looks like some delicious copy pasta.

*sigh*
    Why fix whats not broken? (Actually, its super broken, but requires no fixing ;D)

He did add an IGG sideboard, which is far from a terrible idea.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Nov 2009
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    He did add an IGG sideboard, which is far from a terrible idea.
    Yeah, I'm actually a big fan of that idea.

Emidln-> Can you tell us what your current sideboard is pls? I will try to play NLS at a local tournament, but I have some problems with my sideboard.

How does NLS win against dragon stompy and stax? I can see that neither BreathWeapon or Emidln have Hurkyl's Recall in the sideboard (even before Emrakul). Is it just good enough to play Burning Wish->Shattering Spree? I don't think Pulverize looks very good against trinisphere. Echoing Truth helps a bit in those matchups of course.

If you want a card tho win against stacks/stompy decks you can always add 1 Rebuild to your sideboard. I've always found rebuild the most effective answer against those decks. But it's an instant ofcourse.A lot of people removed it from the sideboard because those decks are just to rare to waste SB slots on.

My current sideboard is:

1 Extirpate
    4 Spell Pierce
    3 Misdirection
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    2 Blazing Archon
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Deathmark
    1 Show and Tell

Of course, this is for a different deck as I no longer play this deck due to thinking UB combo-control with Forces, Doomsdays, and Show and Tells is a better call.

More importantly, sideboarding is a metagame decision that the pilot needs to make themselves. My sideboard for NLS wouldn't help you. If I ran NLS, I'd try to fit in a mix of the cards below. The cuts would probably be at Eye of Nowhere, 3rd Doomsday, and either Infernal Tutor or Recurring Insight (but keep one of them).

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    3 Doomsday
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Recurring Insight
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Infernal Contract
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Pulverize
    1 Eye of Nowhere
    1 Deathmark
    1 Shelldock Isle
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Chain of Vapor

I don't feel the need for more than 8 discard vs blue. Some people like/want Xantid Swarms, Pyroblasts or Vexing Shusher. I think the Discard + Doomsday plan into Emrakul is the best thing ANT has vs CB and definitely would include it. Your choices in these matters might vary. Further, you might enjoy a different bounce spell rather than Chain of Vapor, but I like that one.

Look at how much Shattering Spree costs under Trinisphere:

2R or RRR (depending on whether or not Chalice at 1 is in play).

Look at how much Pulverize costs with Trinisphere in play:

Here's a question for you: are you willing to pass the turn after blowing up their artifacts? I'm not. I won't do it until I'm sure I can combo off afterwards. That makes the lands I'd sac to Pulverize already used to pay for Pulverize.

Here's another question: what happens to your Shattering Spree if they have Chalice @ 1, Trinisphere and something else (maybe another Trinisphere, a diff Chalice, etc)? Pulverize doesn't care.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

What do you guys think about this list - it's more of a target list for me. I like Chant in the deck just as additional protection. Let me know what you think.

3 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland

3 Orim's Chant
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Duress

3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Mystical Tutor
    3 Infernal Tutor

2 Ad Nauseam
    2 Tendrils of Agony

4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Chrome Mox

I also recently picked up a Meditate for ~2$, so I'm tinkering with the idea of DDANT, with the following changes:

Out:

1 Chrome Mox
    2 Orim's Chant

1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Meditate
    1 Doomsday

----------------------

With Top on the board...pile would be:

Meditate, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Tendrils of Agony, Ponder(could be placed farther up to garner one additional storm).

Have BBBU on the board: Flip top, meditate, ritual, ritual, agony - with an additional mana you can add 1-2 storm, depending on if it's one or two mana, and if any is blue.

Thanks for the help.

What is your current list Emidlin? You can PM it to me if it is more appropriate.

Nov 2009
    Seattle, WA

I feel like B/U(w) ANT and NLS need different threads. They perform pretty differently and most NLS players don't care too much for the B/U list and vice versa. I'd also be curious to see the difference in finishes between both lists. Maybe its just me, but I don't tend to hear about NLS placing as often as the more stand ad nauseam list.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Here's a pretty trivial logistical question: how do you guys keep track of mana and storm count? I'm thinking of using dice the next time I play, but I don't want to give away that I'm playing storm. Do you just keep everything away until you're ready to "go off"? Or do people already know you guys as "the combo guy"?

If you're making cuts to Emidln's SB, I find the Infernal Contract and Eye of Nowhere are the least used cards FWIW - altho' Infernal Tutor is a very close 3rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Here's a pretty trivial logistical question: how do you guys keep track of mana and storm count? I'm thinking of using dice the next time I play, but I don't want to give away that I'm playing storm. Do you just keep everything away until you're ready to "go off"? Or do people already know you guys as "the combo guy"?
    Most people know me as a combo guy.
    But if I'm facing strangers I keep my dice in my bag. Then when I am going off I grab them and start using my dice.
    Not everyone with dice is a combo player though. An Ichorid player around here has a bunch of Zombie tokens with several Goblin tokens on top of them. So if the opponent ever catches a glimpse of it they'll think he's a Goblin player. You got to ignore such things from good players.

Thread Information