Page 3 of 299 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Cynic87 View Post
    1.) I find this laughable. I fail to see how drawing X spells off of one card during an EoT step sacrifices all of the storm.

2.) Seems true.

I'm not sure it needs it QUITE that bad, but...whatever. Its a little situational and dependant upon what you drew.

Pce,

--DC
    Casting Ad Nauseam EOT costs you the storm from the acceleration and the storm from Ad Nauseam, it's not irrelevant, which is the reason the decks are designed to cast Ad Nauseam on your main phase.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Jun 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

It's obviously sub-optimal to try for AdN during your opponent's turn, when you don't have your entire arsenal at your disposal, including all your sorceries and Pact o' N. However, since resolving AdN at any reasonable size will probably win you the game on your next mainphase regardless, it would seem smart to cast it in response to certain plays your opponent might make, particularly if you have already cast a profitable duress and know that he has a good chance of finding more disruption.

Situations I can think of, off the top of my head, where casting AdN on opponent's turn could be profitable:

Landstill casts Standstill or FoF

VoroshStill or similar control deck casts Intuition

In a post-board game, Trinisphere is cast and you are holding multiple Dark Rits which are about to become worthless, but you have some chance to draw an out from AdN

In all these cases, the point is only to cast it as an instant when the situation forces you to. In this regard I believe Ad Nauseam decks can offer a substantial advantage over IGG based storm, in that they have more options to try to force a win.

The Sickness

1 Swamp
    1 Island
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Mox Diamond
    4 Pact of Negation
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Duress
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Intuition
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Ad Nauseam

So, similar to what has been discussed. I quickly ditched LED and Infernal Tutor, I'm not sure why some of you seem so set on them, they will hurt you a lot of the time when you have one and not the other. Ad Nauseam is an easy card to go broken, you don't need to add other combo requirements. This version is very simple - lots of tutoring, lots of 0 CC and Intuition. Intuition's a very solid setup card for this deck, Intuition for 3 Ad Nauseam and you've reduced the average damage of each card drawn by 0.3 (to 0.82 per card from 1.12). Intuition also seems like a reasonable choice as it's immune to Spellsnare and will often dodge Counterbalance. This lets you draw aggressively and ensures that Ad Nauseam is a win. Once you've cast Ad Nauseam then Intuition gets Tendrils along with the 3 Tendrils (and often as not you'd be able to Mystical + Brainstorm) ensuring you hit one somehow. The build is designed to comfortably go off with no spare mana after casting Ad Nauseam, even with the low CC I think this needs the storm count of casting Ad Nauseam on the turn you go off. The deck should probably run 1 Wipe Away maindeck, not sure what I'd remove for it yet and in the sideboard I'd run Volcanic Islands, Pyroblast and Daze (possibly).

Cunning Wish is a bad idea, I don't think we'd even be discussing Ad Nauseam if it cost 5BBU. The damage it does to you isn't that terrifying, if you're worried about low probability events then don't play combo. The average CC is close to 1 (or under if you cast Intuition for AdN) making Ad Nauseam better than Yawgmoth's Bargain.

Multiple Tendrils have been quite useful in my brief testing. The deck can still do a weak double Tendrils plan if necessary and often you'll be able to do a giant double Tendrils from Ad Nauseam making Stifle ineffective.

The EPIC Syndicate's scapegoat of humanity

Feb 2008
    In ridicule.

Cunning Wish: 2U

Intuition: 2U

Cunning Wish: Less damage, before you cast adn.

Intuition: "finds" your kill-spell, used after you cast adn.

I don't see much difference in the two, other than Intuition opening you up to Extirpate on you Win-Con.

Mox diamond is crap in these lists. 14 lands? Sure. 14 lands and 4 Chrome Mox? Absolutely. 14 lands, 4 Chrome Mox and 3 Mox Diamonds? No.

A Mox diamond before AdN is crap.

Pce,

--DC

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

@Mystical Tutor

I'm not the biggest fan of the card, but I think it works appropriately here. If you aren't going for pure speed, it's best to optimize for protection and toolbox answers while building up for the win.

@Counterbalance

It's an idea, but I think it's pushing the boundaries too far. You want to inhibit your opponent enough so that you can go off without problems, but you don't want to start sticking cards in that veer you off from your original game plan.

@LED/IT

I don't think you can ditch these. Even if they don't work synergistically with some of the cards in the deck, any combo player here can attest to the stupid brokenness that these partners in crime create on a regular basis. One thing you don't want to do is put all your eggs in one basket by removing these engines.

I'm also a fan of going toolbox with the deck, and I think Hanni's BUr deck is going in the right direction. I'm also not sure if we should cut iggy - why possibly gamble with AdN when you can just confirm a win with the loop (assuming you have the right cards, obviously)?

I agree M.Tutor is a reasonable choice because it stacks AdN for cantrip + LED. Mental Note has faired well in testing for people focusing on Threshold and Cabal Ritual, altho' it requires an IGG MD, and I'd imagine Strategic Planning would also be a possible choice.

Hit Threshold, resolve Cabal Ritual = win seems to be the best approach I've found.
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Dark_Cynic87: You've missed some details in your Cunning Wish vs Intuition. Intuition is also used to find AdN and means you're effectively running 8 AdN vs 5 in a Cunning Wish build. The average CC of your AdN will be 6.5 with Intuition vs 7.4 with 4 Cunning Wish and 1 AdN. Cunning Wish adds nothing to Threshold, Intuition adds 3 cards. Cunning wish wastes sideboard space. Cunning Wish can't tutor for Tendrils so is a dead card when you go off.

Ups, I noticed you're not running any main so the average cost of getting one is 8. Your deck's not really an Ad Nauseam deck at all is it? That makes Mystical Tutors much weaker in your deck not to run even one, I don't think you've realised just how powerful Ad Nauseam is. 5 mana + 1 card and win the game. Rite of Flame is really clunky, I'm not sure why you're running it especially when you only run 2 Cabal Ritual which is a much better card. It's not worth adding red to the deck to run a bad accelerant.

Mox Diamond's run well for me and gives sufficient options for getting mana after going off. It is probably the weakest slot but it's better than you're giving it credit for, you need a high % of 0 cost mana available once you go off and it's castable before going off surprisingly often. What would you suggest in its place? 1 more land and 2 Thoughtseize or 2 Daze is tempting.

Infernal Tutor will leave you stranded when you have no LED as it can't directly tutor and you can't empty your hand when you need AdN. LED alone makes Pact useless (replacing Pact with Thoughtseize fights against the deck's most important resource). Together they're not even that good, you only need to fit 5 mana with an AdN in hand.
    Last edited by ixid; 09-21-2008 at 01:07 PM.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

Everytime I resolve Ad Nauseam I feel like I'm cheating (I think it is going to be banned /shrug). After playtesting, I have to say, this is a Turn 2 deck on average. Mystical tutor is the starter to the AdN engine in this deck. AdN is a straight one-card combo.

As pointed out, this deck really wants to cast AdN during the main to guarantee resources and storm count to cast for lethal. Although, I often cast it during my draw phase from floated LED mana from my upkeep. This deck has to generate immense amounts of mana as early as possible, and after that, it doesn't matter nearly as much. AdN's hunger for mana makes it difficult to protect without watering the deck down to the point that you aren't consistently able to cast it on 1st or 2nd turn.

I've seen two options with this deck (much like Flash). You can go for speed or you can go for a disruptive combo approach. Going for speed is great because it actually dodges a lot of hate, but it of course is easy to disrupt on its own if you don't go off 1st turn. Playing some combo protection has more implications to this deck in that it not only slows the deck down, but it decreases your likelihood of drawing a game-winning stream of cards from AdN and casting AdN early enough.

Slow playing control has not been to my advantage with this deck either. Chalice and CB were game breakers once in play too. Having no defensive counters hurts this deck's attempt to play protection effectively.

I've tried:

4x Duress
    4x Pact of Negation

and

4x Duress
    2x Thoughtseize
    1x Pact of Negation

and

1x Bayou
    1x Crop Rotation
    1x Boseiju

and

1x Angel's Grace
    3x Orim's Chant
    1x Scrubland
    1x Plains

I even tried shushers and bounce in the main. I often wished I just had mana-acceleration in hand instead of these cards. So, I wanted to try a break-neck speed version of the deck, foregoing protection, and just going for the win.

Here is the deck I've arrived at so far:

Lands: 12x
    1x Swamp
    1x Island
    4x Underground Sea
    2x Flooded Strand
    4x Polluted Delta

Mana Accel: 26
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x LED
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Cabal Ritual
    3x ESG
    3x Summoner's Pact

Card Quality: 16
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Mystical Tutor
    4x Infernal Tutor

Win-Stuff: 6
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    1x Ill-Gotten Gains
    4x Ad Nauseam

The deck is consistent, and very fast. ESG/Pact has been fantastic. You only pact when you are casting AdN that turn anyways. The deck packs a bit less land because...I don't get to drop as many land as more disruptive versions of this deck.

I wouldn't mind losing the Ponder's for other cards so much. They can't put AdN on top of the library as effectively as Mystical and Brainstorm. A singleton Pact wasn't bad either. Street Wraith's were lackluster (even with 4x Mystical in the deck). I wish I could run Mystical's 5-8.

peace,
    4eak

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

I don't really like Intuition because it cannot grab 1-of's. I agree that being out of Counterbalance range against Thresh decks is good, but I usually try to race CounterTop. 3cc for a tutor slows the deck down alot, which is bad against everything not CounterTop. Intuition, IMO, is better as an engine card for decks like Intuition Thresh, ITF, Tezzeret Stax, etc, and not as a single card tutor.

-----

Building the deck without protection makes it alot like Belcher, except I actually play 4 Red Elemental Blasts in Belcher lists that I play. Opting to go for first turn kills from more acceleration is also a good way to build ANT but you still need 4 Duress.

Of course, going for turn 1-2 kills is going to be vulnerable against FoW and/or going second against all kinds of relevant hate.

A speed build isn't necessarily a bad route though, and does warrant some discussion. If you think about it like Belcher, it's basically a better Belcher since it's no longer as dependant on EtW wins. Tendrils is alot harder to disrupt than EtW. Duress is stronger than REB, IMO, since it lets you know if you can go off or not.

I don't think ESG + Pact is how I'd want to accelerate the deck, honestly. That opens you up to FoW worse than usual now because if they Daze/FoW you're AdN, you lose the game. Quickening the clock to turn 1 kills like Belcher, you're just as vulnerable to turn 1 countermagic. ESG is 3cc, so on its own its not good for the decks curve.

I'm not sure what accelerants I would replace them with, though. I already tried 4 Rite of Flames and those were lackluster.

-----

I still prefer Pact of Negation though, since it enables the deck to play through countermagic like FoW, and costs 0 mana. I've had protected turn 1 kills with Pact of Negation before, though usually the deck goldfishes turn 2 with protection. The only times I cannot combo off before turn 4 with protection are against decks like MUC, which just keep hitting you with a constant stream of disruption. However, decks like that do not have a good clock so you can easily switch into control role with Duress + Pact of Negation.

The deck can run Thoughtseize or Cabal Therapy in replacement for Pact of Negation, but the lifeloss of Thoughtseize is relevant and Cabal Therapy is hit or miss without also playing Duress. Cabal Therapy is good in the SI manplan versions, but those versions trade up combo consistency for 0cc creatures.

Red Elemental Blast and Daze still suffer from the same problems as Pact of Negation, as far as being reactive and not working well with IT/LED. I like REB in matchups where I can afford to slowplay against blue decks and the opponent doesn't have Wasteland. Daze has the problem if being ineffective if the opponent's isn't tapped out, as well as set the deck back in land drops.

I think both REB and Daze are both strong contenders for the Pact of Negation spots and are all probably metagame choices. REB has advantages against Counterbalance decks, where Daze has advantages against Chalice-based decks, where Pact of Negation has advantages against FoW (while being 0cc).

I'd definitely run both REB (if you splash for red) and Daze in the sideboard, at least.

-----

Anyway, this is my current list:

B/U/r ANT

// Lands
    4 [ON] Polluted Delta
    2 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    2 [ON] Flooded Strand
    3 [A] Underground Sea
    1 [R] Volcanic Island
    1 [ON] Swamp (4)
    1 [P3] Island (3)

// Spells
    4 [TE] Lotus Petal
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox
    4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 [R] Dark Ritual
    4 [TO] Cabal Ritual
    4 [FNM] Brainstorm
    4 [6E] Mystical Tutor
    4 [DIS] Infernal Tutor
    4 [4E] Ad Nauseam
    1 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
    1 [TSP] Empty the Warrens
    4 [7E] Duress
    4 [FUT] Pact of Negation

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB: 4 [NE] Daze
    SB: 3 [U] Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 [GP] Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 [TSP] Wipe Away
    SB: 1 [FUT] Slaughter Pact
    SB: 4 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    Last edited by Hanni; 09-22-2008 at 02:51 AM.

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007
    Local Group > Milky Way Galaxy > Orion Arm > Solar System > Earth > Italy > Vicenza

I've posted some decklists and considerations about this new card in the topics of TES and FT, but without success. Anyway I consider this card the future of storm combo, with this deck I beat for example a deck that usually is a nightmare of TES and FT like thresh UGB.

@Hanni: I see that your list is very similar to the mine. The core is every time the same (chrome, mystical, rituals, bla bla bla), but I'm trying 3 different version of the deck: one for each colour I use as splash.

The UBg version with the only 1 green card in Sb: K.Grip usually against Counterbalance. I think that this is a version oriented against Counterbalance decks in a meta full of them.
    The UBw version for Orim as protection in a meta full of Spell Snare and Stifle and Serenity against Stax.
    The Ubr version very similar to your list for many cards in Sb: ReB, EtW and Pyroclasm.

I don't see in your list a bouncer maindeck and I also see that you ignore the matchup against decks use Chalice + Trini. I use E.Truth in 1 single copy in the maindeck plus in Sb Serenity in the white version and in all others versions I use a mix of Rebuild and Hurkyl's Recall. Shattering Spree can't be enough, also with only 1 red land we can't destroy Chalice at 1 with Spree. We can't be a bye fo Stax and Dragon Stompy decks!

I also don't use EtW maindeck, there is an evident antisynergy between this card and PoN. And also, EtW is another card with an high CC: another antisynergy with Ad Nauseum. For these reasons I have only a copy in Sb against Extirpate decks and Discard matchups.
    Again, I use PoN in Sb. I like it, but I don't want 4 dead copies in many matchups and again another antisynergy with LED. I prefer to keep them in SB.

I'm also trying Sensei maindeck to give to the deck more fluency. Sensei gives also an opportunity to do some tricks to win against blue based decks without protection.
    I don't use 4 copies of Ad Nauseum. I want to reduce the possibilities to take too much dmg.

Ah, for last: I use a 1x of IGG. Against decks like Burn or GoyfSligh with an elevate quantity of burn spells the win condition with Ad Nauseum can be very risky and I don't want to lose because with Ad Nauseum I go 7 lifes and then my opponent kills me with Bolt+Fireblast. For this reason I use IGG.
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. - Neuromancer

Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

1 Tormod's Crypt in my sideboard can be dropped for 1 Echoing Truth, then. Or 1 Shattering Spree can be dropped for 1 Echoing Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    I also don't use EtW maindeck, there is an evident antisynergy between this card and PoN. And also, EtW is another card with an high CC: another antisynergy with Ad Nauseum. For these reasons I have only a copy in Sb against Extirpate decks and Discard matchups.
    Again, I use PoN in Sb. I like it, but I don't want 4 dead copies in many matchups and again another antisynergy with LED. I prefer to keep them in SB.
    Another point is that ADN bites chunks away from your lifetotal, so Churning out gobbo's when your life is at 4/5 isn't that powerfull. With the low R-mana count, it's also hard to get a couple of tokens out turn 1.

BB

Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

Why? Even at 4-5 life, if you AdN into EtW, you're going to be getting 20+ Goblins, so unless the opponent has burn (2 burn spells in this case), they are going to die via Goblin beats. The only time casting EtW after AdN is bad is when you use Pact in that turn and cannot pay 3UU next turn (which you usually can since you usually put so many 0cc mana producers into play, especially LED).

EtW gives the deck an out if the deck doesn't have enough/sufficient disruption, since EtW itself can only be countered by Stifle (when you don't go for the AdN + Tendrils win). It's also nice to grab when the deck cannot produce enough mana/storm after IT/LED. I've been pleased with it so far.

-----

This isn't in response to anyones post, just some info about the deck I'd like to toss out there.

Dreadstalker with 4 Sinkhole, 4 Wasteland, and 4 Stifle to attack the manabase, 4 Thoughtseize, Daze, 4 Force of Will, 4 Spell Snare, and 4 Counterbalance + 4 Top, is a very bad matchup.

Playing around Chalice is very possible. Game 1 it gets set to 1, which can easily be played around via IT/LED and/or 0cc mana + Cabal Ritual + AdN (in hand). Game 2, Chalice at 0 is harder, but still manageable. The deck can Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual into AdN on the opponent's EOT with 1-3 (blue) mana open to cast Mystical Tutor/Echoing Truth/Wipe Away (tutor grabbing ET), or the deck can go off if it draws into Tendrils (or EtW if it has access to R) and enough Rituals.

Counterbalance is easy to race unless they hit you with a ton of other disruption, then it becomes problematic. Blind CB isn't so bad, but if they manage to get CounterTop, the decks only out is to topdeck into Wipe Away. Luckily, I've only had a few games where the opponent is actually able to assemble CounterTop before the deck goes off with protection, especially postboard with REB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    Why? Even at 4-5 life, if you AdN into EtW, you're going to be getting 20+ Goblins, so unless the opponent has burn (2 burn spells in this case), they are going to die via Goblin beats. The only time casting EtW after AdN is bad is when you use Pact in that turn and cannot pay 3UU next turn (which you usually can since you usually put so many 0cc mana producers into play, especially LED).

EtW gives the deck an out if the deck doesn't have enough/sufficient disruption, since EtW itself can only be countered by Stifle (when you don't go for the AdN + Tendrils win). It's also nice to grab when the deck cannot produce enough mana/storm after IT/LED. I've been pleased with it so far.
    In your example, Tendrils is better than EtW. It doesn't give your opponent a turn to deal with the tokens( Engineered Deed, blockers/attackers, removal.) EtW is powerfull in TES and Becher, because those decks can produce quite some red on turn 1. FT and SI doesn't run them, because they deal quite some damage to themself and can't produce some tokens( between 8 and 12) turn 1.

Alot of decks can deal with goblin tokens now adays.

If you can't get enough storm, you could use IGGy to gain extra storm.

BB

Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

Post AdN, your opponent more than likely will not be able to resolve EE or Deed or whatever, so that's irrelevant.

You are missing the point about EtW though; its good when you can't resolve AdN. With IGG, you open yourself up to countermagic like FoW. With EtW, you simply drop 12 1/1's on turn 2 when you cannot protect an AdN and the opponent hopefully cannot answer it (usually done in game 1).

I think EtW > IGG maindeck, unless you plan on splashing white for Orim's Chant. In which case, you'd have to drop Pact (which is arguably better) and you'd lose the red splash (REB's arguably better than Chant too).

Postboard, the deck can drop the EtW for sideboard cards if it's a bad card vs the opponent. The ability to turn 1 EOT Mystical into an EtW ftw is strong against alot of decks, though.

----

On a sidenote, I'm considering dropping Wipe Away for Repeal. The 3cc of Repeal should dodge Counterbalance and it answers Chalice @ 0 for only 1cc. The biggest thing about it, though, is that it only requires a single blue mana, which is highly relevant. The ability to draw a card is a nice additional bonus, too.

I've tried exactly that build with Infernal Tutors, LED and one Tendrils; what I do not understand is how you go off reliably. Are you drawing into Mystical/Brainstorm + 2 blue, Infernal + LED or Tendrils/EtW every time?

Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

After you cast AdN, it's not that difficult to draw into either IT/LED, Mystical/Brainstorm, or Tendrils/EtW. You draw at least 10 cards on average, which is more than enough to assemble those 2 card combos and have the mana to cast them. Especially on good flips where you hit 15 cards, the deck has very few problems going off. The deck fizzles occasionally, though most combo decks do that sometimes.

-----

On a sidenote, I found Daze lackluster postboard for Chalice. The opponent sets Chalice @ 0 and is therefore able to pay for Daze. Those will get dropped and I'll work on finding a replacement sideboard card.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eak View Post

Although, I often cast it during my draw phase from floated LED mana from my upkeep.

peace,
    4eak
    Quoted for emphasis, using Ad Nauseam's Instant speed to cast it during the draw step instead of the main phase is broken, and not enough people seem to be aware of how to use Ad Nauseam and LED together (I didn't even consider it until I re-read the rules for LED)

Just cut Serum Visions for Mystical Tutor in the list above, and it's good to go.

I just realised this trick while goldfishing with LED in hand and Nauseam/Brainstorm or Mystical Tutor, LED is definitely correct given this and once you run LED then Infernal Tutor's probably correct. If LED is correct though I find it harder to agree with Pact of Negation, what's the point of running it? It will not protect Ad Nauseam if you go off with LED and once you've gone off you can Duress/Thoughtseize out Stifles.

What do people think of Angel's Grace as a sideboard plan? Vs something like Goyf-Sligh where you may not have enough life to go off. Perhaps even as a one of main-deck to give you an out when the deck's slower.

So from Breathweapon's list I'd run something like:
    -4 Ponder
    -4 Serum Visions
    -1 Thoughtseize
    +4 Mystical Tutor
    +4 Chrome Mox
    +1 Wipe Away or Angel's Grace with a Scrubland or Tundra in place of a basic

Maybe an unusual idea - what about ditching Cabal Ritual?

I'm liking BreathWeapon's list (the -Serum Vision +Mystical Tutor one) for goldfishing, and when I try to push it, I can usually get a turn 2 kill, and the other half of the time, it's turn 3. I don't think in the past 10 hands or so I've ever went to turn 4. Maybe I need to goldfish more to actually conclude that.

Anyway, the draw step kill is particularly nice with LED (you have tons of ways of setting up the draw step Ad Nauseam, from Brainstorm, Ponder, Mystical), and the occasional Infernal/LED into Ad Nauseam -> kill is helpful at times.

Though I'm not sure what happens when you factor in your opponent with all the FoW, Daze, and even stuff like Lightning Bolt or Fire/Ice. How low in life do you go? Also, I'm finding Thoughtseize to be a drag after me AdNing into the lows (Thoughtseize is essentially 3 life if you want to cast it), and I generally can only cast 1 Duress/Thoughtseize half the time from turn 1-2, and then I would need additional Duress/Thoughtseize to get rid of the assumed Stifle (or other random anti storm hate). Would Cabal Therapy be a better alternative as the Duress 5-8?

Another problem with going off very early (turn 2) is the fact that it's also hard to make blue mana after AdN (unless you hit lotus petals). At times I wished there was a Chromatic Sphere/Star in there to switch around mana.

Thread Information