Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Shandalar

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Re: Shandalar

That would lose half the fun losing that little rpg game. Face it, Shandalar was a blast to play.

I hate to necro, but I had to switch computers and lost my Shandalar files. The version I have is supposed to be able to run on Windows XP, but I get an error message "Assertion Error: D:\NewMagic\sources\sidlib\lib.c, Line-> 315 WM_CREATE CreateDIBSection" when I get to the picture and name picking part. Any ideas on how to fix this/places I can find a version that works?

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Google for ManaLink v2.0 and see if that fixes the problem

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Best game ever.

I remember making a deck with a few Naf's Asps, Ivory Towers, Time Twisters, Boomerangs, and Counterspells to beat the final boss on the hardest difficulty.

Naf's Asp creates an effect on the other side: The opponent has to pay 1 mana or take one damage each turn. The effect sticks around even if they take 1.

My deck was something like this

4 Black lotus
    2 Mox ermald
    4 Berserk
    4 Giant growth
    4 (the 2/1 first strike elf)
    4 Llanowar elfs
    4 Ernham jins
    3 Force of nature
    4 Ghazban Ogre
    9 Forests

Not the best deck but for sure one of the fastest.
    Good for killing random guys on the field!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Can anyone give me advice on getting Shandalar to run on the Vista o.s.? I've been troubleshooting all day; perhaps some different advice will help. Are there any specifications or protocols that need to be in place for this to work?

Thanks!

Bryant Cook

First step: Uninstall Vista.

Second step: Install anything else, if you want windows, use XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Can anyone give me advice on getting Shandalar to run on the Vista o.s.? I've been troubleshooting all day; perhaps some different advice will help. Are there any specifications or protocols that need to be in place for this to work?

Thanks!
    Actually, I realized I'm running on Vista too. The Manalink patches are supposed to work, but I keep getting the same error message.

EDIT: Finally got it running with a virtual machine.
    Last edited by Roman Candle; 06-21-2009 at 03:06 PM.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

VirtualBox + Windows 95 will solve your problems.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

I'm wondering if there is a way to put Shandalar into window mode or alt-tab. I was able to alt-tab then something changed and now I can't alt-tab out. When i do at-tab out I get teh task bar at the bottom but the game still is there but I can't get to the desktop or bring up any other programs.

Feb 2009
    Germany, NRW

Nobody figured out how good magical hack on lifetap or karma is? in a control shell with moat and stuff i always win =) Is anyone else here keeping more or less tournament restrictons? like decks with 1 lotus instead of 4-30 ?? as its amasing lame to win this way.

I always stay within restrictions. You should update to Manalink 2.0 with Zendikar cards and other fancy stuff.

Onslaught fetch lands? Check!
    Zendikar fetch lands? Check!
    Sensei's Diving Top? Check!
    Cards for Ichorid? Check!
    Cards for Loam? Check!

Go! Get your update at http://www.slightlymagic.net!

Feb 2009
    Germany, NRW

Quote Originally Posted by sklay View Post
    I always stay within restrictions. You should update to Manalink 2.0 with Zendikar cards and other fancy stuff.

Onslaught fetch lands? Check!
    Zendikar fetch lands? Check!
    Sensei's Diving Top? Check!
    Cards for Ichorid? Check!
    Cards for Loam? Check!

Go! Get your update at http://www.slightlymagic.net!
    Hi the link doesnt work (to me) are there special editions for updating or everyone from Alpha-Zendikar?? are the "new" cards also with image?

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to usw a Time Vault combo on Shandalar? As for the game rules Instill Energy+Animate Artifact doesnt work here :(

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle.Wire View Post
    Hi the link doesnt work (to me) are there special editions for updating or everyone from Alpha-Zendikar?? are the "new" cards also with image?

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to usw a Time Vault combo on Shandalar? As for the game rules Instill Energy+Animate Artifact doesnt work here :(

They've made a lot of changes to the game. It's not as intuitive as it once was and the cards are only available outside of Shandalar game play mode (Sealed Deck, 1vs1, Gauntlet) they've also added draft and momir basic to the game. The graphics come with a graphics download and a few of the cards are buggy, but it's mostly sound and pretty good with the rules. You can use Time Vault/Voltaic key and things of that nature.

Feb 2007
    United Kingdom

Time Vault combo worked for me in Shandalar in a slightly different way. You have to get 2 Time Vaults to stick. Then skip a turn, when you get the prompt, selecting to skip on both. You will end up skipping only one turn though, getting 2 turns out of the Vaults. It's a clickfest, but you end up with infinite turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halted Asylum View Post
    Force of Will is terrible with Bob, i rather Mana Leak.

Feb 2009
    Germany, NRW

Quote Originally Posted by PhanTom_lt View Post
    Time Vault combo worked for me in Shandalar in a slightly different way. You have to get 2 Time Vaults to stick. Then skip a turn, when you get the prompt, selecting to skip on both. You will end up skipping only one turn though, getting 2 turns out of the Vaults. It's a clickfest, but you end up with infinite turns.
    I just figured out it works excellent with copy artifact and time vaults.

Does anyone got time to get me a Link for the updates that works? i'd love to test some newer cards as i normally only play gauntlet at all. (i also need the image patch then)

Oh man, my favorite deck was a 40 card concoction of 3 Atogs, a bunch of Moxen, 4 beserk, 4 timetwister, 4 Ancestral Recall, 4 city of brass. It was pretty fun to see how much damage i could deal with one atog. I think my record was somewhere around 5300, although it could have been orders of magnitude higher.

The deck I play in general is a black-blue deck where i try to end the game with my opponent having no useful permanents in play and no cards in hand. Paralyze is the shit.

I managed to kill the BBEG with a stasis deck that ran 1 black vise and 2 timetwister as kill conditions. It was the least fun experience I've had playing magic.

Dont overdo such shiengangs, cuz the game is programmed for small numbers. If you somehow get over ~10k mana/life/p/t the game crashes. Some integer problems.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Necro. But I need to find this game after reading Adam's article last week. I tried his facebook page and do not see the link to it. Could anyone pm me a link or post it here please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Epic Fizzle
    Feb 2007
    River Falls, Wi

Thread Information