Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shandalar

Re: Shandalar

There's two important tricks I haven't seen mentioned here:

The first is to use Bronze Tablet vs. the dragons. When they play a Mox, use the Tablet on it - they ALWAYS choose to switch, and presto, you have easy access to dozens of moxen.

Obviously this only really works in a control strategy. U/W with Tablets is my preferred dragonkiller (Timetwisters to draw them into their moxen). If you use Kismet, you can take their Black Lotus too. :D

Along with Mind Stealers, Elementalists and Conjurers can also duplicate cards. Because of the Tablet Trick, you should always choose to duplicate spells like Demonic Tutor, Time Walk, and ESPECIALLY Timetwister.

The second trick is that if you play with 60 or more cards in your deck, there is no 4-of maximum, so you can play decks of like 8 Black Vise, 18 Taiga, 17 Kird Ape 17 Lightning Bolt. The Kird Ape/Bolt deck (usually with some Strip Mines and Winter Orb) is probably the best for just walking around, killing d00ds since it takes the fewest clicks to win (and therefore wins 'faster' than the turn1 kill decks).

I don't even use Contracts anymore, they're just too stupidly good.

My favorite Shandalar story was: in one game against the R/W guy (Centaur Warchief?), he STP'd all my creatures, and I didn't have Braingeyser yet. I managed to get the 'Low Tide' win by repeatedly Timetwistering, letting him play out more lands and creatures, and using and re-using my lone STP to remove all his creatures so that each Twister left him with fewer and fewer cards in the mix, until I had removed like 30 cards of his deck from the game and his library was finally smaller than mine, so I could deck him.

It took awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Tablets?

Nov 2006
    Hungary

I think my most embarrasing loss was when I hadn't figured out that your mana links or whatever are directly tied to your life total, so for some reason my starting life was down to something like 9. And then some Druid killed me with Channel-Hurricane. I mean, Channel-Fireball is one thing, but Channel-Hurricane. It was pretty bad.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Catcher of souls, hunter of spirits
    Jan 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA

I just got pwned by my lack of pre-6th rules knowledge and the difference between instants and interrupts. Ancestral Recall gets a lot worse in a control deck when you can't cast it in response to a lethal Fireball in order to find a Counterspell.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Yeah, same here. Trying to tap down lands with Icy Manipulator in the upkeep step and not having that work made me mad.

I think I get this. I know how to get cards now and how to seel junk to get some more money. I keep trying to get to places that the wizards are attacking but get caught up.

So far I love playing the deck I am making. It is Sui black and I just need 2 more Sinkholes and 3 Dark Rituals to make it how I want it. Does anyone know how to get more than one Mind Twist, Black Lotus, and Mox Jet?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Oh, the other glitch!

If you're playing against an opponent who has Mana Vault in play, make a permanent stop in their upkeep. You can double click the Vault, and it will tap and add three to their mana pool. They almost always burn for three, and then take 1 off the Vault being tapped. Then it takes forever for them to untap it. In the early game, this can be a flat-out win.

dumb question: how do you save the game? lol

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Right click on the screen in a town (easier than doing it while walking around), choose save.

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Just had to concede a match becouse the CPU-logic entered in an endless loop.

I attacked with a Nether Shadow with Grave Pact in play.The opponent first thought about blocking with a Mishra, then cancelled the action to avoid the sacrifice due to Pact, then activated mishra again, then cancelled again, then...
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

That's something you'd have to talk to the 2.0 patch people about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Ebinsugewa View Post
    That's something you'd have to talk to the 2.0 patch people about.
    Are they still working on the game? Where I can find them?
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I've beaten it with turn 1 Drainlife Combo
    Gah! I can never beat the end dude (on the hardest difficulty setting) with the multiple Timetwisters, lots of Loti, X spell decks. The game always either crashes on me (probably my systems fault), or I accidently go to my next main phase mana burning for a ton.

Do you do cast your x-spells incrementally? I would imagine the variable they're storing mana in eventually overflows (another possible reason for it crashing).

My favorite bug:

Moat (which is pretty good if you're going to try The Deck variations) + Elder Land Wurm (in random monsters decks). Nothing can attack.

If you're going to go for The Deck against the final guy, I suggest something like The Hive over Serra Angel, since it will eventually do far more damage a turn.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Man I love this game. I think my final deck was:

4 Mox Jet
    4 Mox Sapphire
    2 Mox Pearl
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Black Lotus
    4 Sol Ring
    4 Timetwister
    4 Time Walk
    4 Contract from Below
    4 Ancestral Recall
    3 Juggernaught

It almost always went turn 1 win. And since it ran very little land it got to mulligan frequently in the rare case of getting a poor hand.

Never had a problem with it crashing on the final boss and was able to beat him easily.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

I've finally managed to download this too. Oh, the bugginess brings back memories. Can anyone please explain a few things for me? Whenever I'm in a town, I can't seem to buy cards, I click them like an idiot, but I never get any. How does this work? Also, what are the dungeon clues for? I never really understood that.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Whenever I'm in a town, I can't seem to buy cards, I click them like an idiot, but I never get any. How does this work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Press "Y" for yes, and "N" for no. The buttons don't show up, but you can still buy stuff.

Mar 2007
    United Kingdom

I heard that some people were working on a 3.0 patch earlier in the year but not heard/seen anything on it since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Americans are to acronyms what Europeans are to culture, language, philosophy, and everything else good in the world.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

So playing this game sure brings back memories. I'm slowing rebuilding my "suicide" black deck - 6 Erg Raiders - ROAR! However, I was quite disappointed that Black Vice doesn't seem to work!

I'm still getting my ass kicked by certain critters and can't unceremoniously booted from any Mage's castle.

Any quick simple strats to building my deck up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

How can you guys get more than 3 of one card in? Mine always starts whining when I put in over 3. With Mishra's Factory for instance, I'm not allowed to put in my fourth copy QQ
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Also, what are the dungeon clues for? I never really understood that.
    Dungeon clues are very useful, if you can get them without having to pay. They will usually give you the following info (not all at once, mind you):

-Location of said dungeon

-Types of creatures in said dungeons (example: small blue creatures means guys primarily from the blue group with lower life totals, etc)

-Special abilities/requirements of dungeons (no red cards, Power Struggle in Effect, etc....things that can royally hose you if you don't already know them)

-What treasures the dungeon has (most important, in my opinion, when trying to build up a deck)

EDIT: Skeggi, in the world game, you need a specific World Magic to be allowed to play the 4th card. Go hunt it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Nov 2004
    Missouri

Anyone know how I can get this to run windowed?

Thread Information