Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Article] It's the Fear! An Interview With David Gearhart

Re: [Article] It's the Fear! An Interview With David Gearhart

Wastelock is fine against TES and Threshold. In fact, it's quite nice as a go-to play against the combo decks. Without Raven's Crime or Wasteland, you run the risk, especially against combo decks with Orim's Chant and Wipe Away, of even getting Counterbalance up but getting blown out because you don't win in time and they put the nuts together in your mouth. The point isn't how good singular Wasteland is (it's randomly awesome or piss-poor in most matchups equally) but whether the cost of one colorless land is justified by the cost of infinite Wastelands. And yes, just Wasting the opponent is poor, that's why you need some other play to go along with it, like cycling land into recurring a creature or Raven's Crime for the Hymn. Dredge, cast Loam, Waste your land, discard two cards is an incredibly powerful play.

Needs more Demigods, btw.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Waste-lock's good against TES, but you're missing what I was saying.

It's fucking awful as a one of.

You shouldn't blow an Intuition to set it up either. Not when Counterbalance is way better.

Yeah, Raven's Crime is good against TES, I know that. But, playing Raven's Crime makes you more reliant on the graveyard. Which is a bad thing with all the grave hate running around nowadays.

Right. Demigods. Right. I won't even respond to this because it will probably get me warned. So, how about this, I just won't respond.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Waste-lock's good against TES, but you're missing what I was saying.

It's fucking awful as a one of.

You shouldn't blow an Intuition to set it up either. Not when Counterbalance is way better.

Yeah, Raven's Crime is good against TES, I know that. But, playing Raven's Crime makes you more reliant on the graveyard. Which is a bad thing with all the grave hate running around nowadays.
    If you don't have either piece, you can't Intuition to set up Counterbalance.

And I'll gladly trade all the opponent's graveyard hate for my singular Raven's Crime. Loam->Waste, Crime, Loam is basically everything you want Counterbalance to do, but you can set it up with a single Intuition. And if they go to heavy graveyard hate, it's not like you don't have the Counterbalance engine to fall back on.

Seriously, that's like saying "I don't like Yawgmoth's Will because I lose to Tormod's Crypt". Sure, but it's just one card, and the power outweighs the disadvantage.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post

And I'll gladly trade all the opponent's graveyard hate for my singular Raven's Crime. Loam->Waste, Crime, Loam is basically everything you want Counterbalance to do, but you can set it up with a single Intuition. And if they go to heavy graveyard hate, it's not like you don't have the Counterbalance engine to fall back on.

Seriously, that's like saying "I don't like Yawgmoth's Will because I lose to Tormod's Crypt". Sure, but it's just one card, and the power outweighs the disadvantage.
    Have you played a lot of ITF, Anusien?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

Mar 2007
    Montreal, Qc

I'd like to hear more from emidln in the future.

Maybe something with the legacy all star team? Didn't Bardo do an article about that a while back?
    Yes - I'm Victor Nightingale.

Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post

Misleading. Counterbalance (given TES's curve) is perfectly fine as a standalone against them. Especially considering things like Brainstorm.

If they hit you with a Crypt, then they've countered Intuition. Extirpate too (even though that card is fucking terrible).

Falling back on the Counterbalance plan after losing an Intuition for nothing is harder.

You're trying to pull the deck into too many directions, which is guaranteed to weaken it. Forcing Intuition to do too much is going to kill you.

Plus, you have a bunch of shitty cards in your deck. Sure, they're good with Intuition, but they're fucking terrible on their own. Needing Intuition to make a bad card better is stupid.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Good article. I enjoyed it as I've enjoyed watching ITF's changes over time. Thanks.

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Everyone criticizes ITF's voulnerability to Extirpate by asking "well what if they Extirpate your Tarmogoyfs?", but I can't help but smile inwardly at thinking about Extirpating Counterbalance after an Intuition for 3x CB resolves, ripping the one you got out of your hand. Or doing the same to a 3x Pernicious Deed grab. Has that ever happened, Dave, or do you typically not do the Oshit Intuition postboard when you see black game one?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebinsugewa View Post
    Oh no you didn't.
    No, actually, he didn't. Thank you for pointing that out, IBA.

fixt.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Jul 2004

Please tell me for the love of all that is holy that you're joking.

No, it's never happened.

In order, the cards that I've had Extirpated:

Tropical Island
    Tarmogoyf
    Pernicious Deed

I've won every single one of those games. Seriously dude, Extirpate is fucking terrible. Sure, it doesn't stop terrible people from playing it, but they're still terrible for playing it. I like my odds against terrible people, you know, because they're terrible.

In other news, I like spelling the word terrible.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Where did the title, "It's the Fear" come from?

I dunno, my friends and I were working on a Vintage port of oldschool Keeper using LftL and running 4 colors "Keeper v1.5." Not to premume to take credit for the idea -- we'd looked at earlier ITF decklists for inspiration. As we played the deck more and more, the decklist started to look more and more like ITF. Now it's basically scrapped because ITF seems better in all the remaining choices.

But it's a good sign that you're running a good decklist if you can start with Psychatogs or two Morphlings and end up with pretty much the same deck.

I hope that ITF brings back the playskill and wildly branching decision trees that were characteristic of oldschool Magic. I remember situations where I could reasonably Vampiric Tutor for Balance, The Abyss, Mox Sapphire, or Yawgmoth's Will (or four other incredibly diverse cards).

Intuition brings all the fun back of different styles under different circumstances. I'm not a good enough pilot anymore to do anything other than put a Piledriver sideways, but it gives me a lot of hope for the future of Magic that decks like ITF are being built and played by good pilots.

Jul 2004

The deck didn't actually have a name for the first tournament that I ever played the deck in (the NoVA Dual Land Draft).

After the tournament, I'm hanging out at Allen's place with Akki (cdr now) who has the deck lists. I tell him to give me mine back to name it. I sit down, put my Ipod on shuffle and start thinking. The very first song that plays is one of my favorites, "It's the Fear" by Within Temptation.

I pieced together Counterbalance and the fear that I had every time I played against the card with Solidarity. Boom, named. Humorously enough, I was looking through the deck at the time, and Counterbalance was the card I was reading when the song came up. Seems like a pretty lucky coincidence. Plus, I like the name a lot.

EDIT: It also tied in nicely to my tournament report which was named, "The Long Forgotten Light at the End of the World" which is a line from "The Islander" by Nightwish another one of my favorite bands. I'm a sucker for power-metal.
    Last edited by Deep6er; 10-15-2008 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Forgot the tournament report name tie-in.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Please tell me for the love of all that is holy that you're joking.

No, it's never happened.

In order, the cards that I've had Extirpated:

Tropical Island
    Tarmogoyf
    Pernicious Deed

I've won every single one of those games. Seriously dude, Extirpate is fucking terrible. Sure, it doesn't stop terrible people from playing it, but they're still terrible for playing it. I like my odds against terrible people, you know, because they're terrible.

In other news, I like spelling the word terrible.

I suppose if Extirpate was floating around everywhere you could just run one or two Living Wishes. Boom, Snag back a Goyf or Trop go to town. LOL gg Extirpate. I'm also gonna have to agree on Dave in general I can't say Extirpate will ever be that awesome. It isn't even a sure thing against Ichorid =/.

Nice article I liked. ITF is a cool deck.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Not Banned
    Sep 2007
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    I suppose if Extirpate was floating around everywhere you could just run one or two Living Wishes.
    Except it would be hard to cast a living wish with no tropical island. But I do agree with the viewpoint towards extirpate.

Aug 2008
    Germany

Very well done !!!

I liked the article and the deck !!!

Very interesting, how deck got its title !!!

@Deep6er : Nightwish and Within Temptation, thats my taste too, good choices.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

@Deep6er: Doctor, Doctor, Doctor!
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Quote Originally Posted by rsaunder View Post
    @Deep6er: Doctor, Doctor, Doctor!
    *Ahem*.
    they haunt minds...

Banned

Feb 2008
    SF CA USA

It would better if it were on video or in a podcast....

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by mercenarybdu View Post
    It would better if it were on video or in a podcast....
    For illiterate people, yes.

Thread Information