Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you feel are the most underused/underplayed cards and Combos in Legacy?

What do you feel are the most underused/underplayed cards and Combos in Legacy?

What do you think should see more play?
    I'll start with:
    Djinn Illuminatus
    Scouting Trek + Clear the Land (Filter out your lands and get a mana boost. I have a deck revolving around this that I'll post after more testing)
    Terravore
    Parallel Thoughts + Diminishing Returns (draw your dream hand)
    Sacred Ground
    UrzaTron
    Diabolic Visions (seriously a great card and fun to play)
    Thrumming Stone
    Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity
    Last edited by Lurker101; 10-13-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Adding Cards

Re: What do you feel are the most underused/underplayed cards and Combos in Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker101 View Post
    Djinn Illuminatus
    Seven mana that doesn't win you the game.
    Scouting Trek + Clear the Land
    Two cards and five mana for very little effect.
    Terravore
    Sees play in Aggro Loam, where it can truly be abused.
    Parallel Thoughts + Diminishing Returns (draw your dream hand)
    Five extra mana so the seven cards you draw are a little better. Combo decks are the only ones that can really abuse a draw seven and they don't need Parallel Thoughts.
    Sacred Ground
    Limited main deck material, worse then Crucible side board material.
    UrzaTron
    Although Waste Land isn't as prominent as it was before, there isn't that great a reward for such a risky mana base.
    Diabolic Visions
    Blue has better card draw and Lim-Dûl's Vault is a better tutor.
    Thrumming Stone
    Five mana for a little effect.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Re: What do you feel are the most underused/underplayed cards and Combos in Legacy?

I agree on each of these thoughts. There are much better alternatives in Legacy, and even some of those never sees play. They are the truly underrated cards. Your suggested cards are just bad, sorry to say it. But like in your deck thread, Djinn Illuminatus is just too awesome to pass by, too bad it costs seven. At four mana, it would've been combo material.
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Yeah, [in reference to the Djinn] I think it should have cost 5. At four it'd be pretty OP.

Brainstorm 5x in a row, replicate your counters to win all the counter wars (late game), etc. But for 7 mana you just can't afford to play something that doesn't win the game outright.

Diabolic Visions is cool, but Impulse is probably better. It's much easier to cast even in a UB deck, it can be used endstep, and it gets rid of the bad cards for the price of only seeing four instead of five cards.

Banned

Feb 2008
    SF CA USA

Gifts Ungiven. I like that card, pitty it could only fit into a small number of decks in this format when there are so many ways to regrowth those cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Willoe View Post
    I agree on each of these thoughts. There are much better alternatives in Legacy, and even some of those never sees play. They are the truly underrated cards. Your suggested cards are just bad, sorry to say it. But like in your deck thread, Djinn Illuminatus is just too awesome to pass by, too bad it costs seven. At four mana, it would've been combo material.
    What are some truly underrated cards?

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Nomads en-Kor + Cephalid Illusionist
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Bitterblossom - life for creatures is just as good as life for cards? no, but it's still amazing.

Demigod of Revenge - "demigod? counter? trigger? 15?"
    Last edited by rockout; 10-13-2008 at 08:58 PM. Reason: I can't type my apologies.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

What are some truly underrated cards?
    Enlightened Tutor and Powder Keg IMO. Among some others.
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    Bitterblossom - life for creatures is just as good as life for cards? no, but it's still amazing.
    Bitterblossom is teh nutz...

Every time I play a turn two bitterblossom, and my opponent has to read it... I know that I am going to win that game.

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Both Wall of Roots and Wall of Blossoms are greatly underplayed in Legacy. Same goes for the mighty Wing Shards. A spectacular white removal spell. Spiritmonger, who is one of my top 3 favorite creatures ever is way underutilized, bigger than Goyf and keeps getting bigger, regenerates and changes color, a massive threat that ends games fast.

Wall of Roots and Wall of Blossoms (especially Roots) were fine before Goyf. They're not now. That's just the way it is when you have a 2cc critter that can pretty easily get to 5 power.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

The walls are cute but they have a lot of things wrong with them. They don't stop a first turn Lackey, they won't usually live through Goyfs, and why would you 1G for something other than Goyf?

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity
    While I thoroughly love this combo, your only real option is to pitch Niv into the bin, bring him back with haste via Goryo's Vengeance or Shallow Grave, and then slap Curiosity (or Ophidian Eye?) on him. In all case's we're talking 4 mana (Careful Study/Putrid Imp + Shallow Grave + Curiosity) and 4 cards (I guess 4 mana and 3 cards if you Show and Tell instead), or 6 mana and 3 cards (Buried Alive/Intuition + Shallow Grave + Curiosity). The combo, sadly, requires too much effort. Hardcasting Niv-Mizzet was a viable option in Standard as a niche deck, it definitely is a game losing strategy in Legacy.

My List:

Underplayed - Dark Confidant, Aether Vial (it's good in more than just Goblins), Innocent Blood

Severely underplayed - Sylvan Library, Skeletal Scrying,

Wish it were playable (well kinda) - Capsize (Holy God is this thing unfun to play against and stupid broken when it gets going), O-Naginata (Goyf gets +3/+0 and trample, rawr!), Seizan Perverter of Truth, Oath of Ghouls (maybe in Goblins?).

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Capsize and Eternal Witness beats Rabid Wombat

^Happened :(

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    While I thoroughly love this combo, your only real option is to pitch Niv into the bin, bring him back with haste via Goryo's Vengeance or Shallow Grave, and then slap Curiosity (or Ophidian Eye?) on him. In all case's we're talking 4 mana (Careful Study/Putrid Imp + Shallow Grave + Curiosity) and 4 cards (I guess 4 mana and 3 cards if you Show and Tell instead), or 6 mana and 3 cards (Buried Alive/Intuition + Shallow Grave + Curiosity). The combo, sadly, requires too much effort. Hardcasting Niv-Mizzet was a viable option in Standard as a niche deck, it definitely is a game losing strategy in Legacy.

My List:

Underplayed - Dark Confidant, Aether Vial (it's good in more than just Goblins), Innocent Blood

Wish it were playable (well kinda) - Capsize (Holy God is this thing unfun to play against and stupid broken when it gets going), O-Naginata (Goyf gets +3/+0 and trample, rawr!), Seizan Perverter of Truth, Oath of Ghouls (maybe in Goblins?).
    Isn't Oversold Cemetery better than Oath of Ghouls? It does basically the same thing, except it's one-sided.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    Bitterblossom is teh nutz...

Every time I play a turn two bitterblossom, and my opponent has to read it... I know that I am going to win that game.
    What the hell kind of scrubs are you playing against that doesn't know what Bitterblossom is? It's only been the staple of one of the most dominant Standard decks for the last year.

SDT completely outclasses Sylvan Library. It's a shame, too. I ran Sylvan Library in Survival for the longest time if anyone remembers way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but SDT is so much better.

Skeletal Scrying is awesome. It's a shame we don't have control decks like we used to.

Underplayed: Um...the entire Elf deck. It's sad I'm saying that, but the deck is redonk. Fooling around with it earlier today I played 3 Sylvan Messengers on turn 3, and then played something like 5 lords on turn 4. It was just silly. I personally think it outclasses Goblins given how explosive it is, but the whole Goblin Lackey thing still gives Gobbos the edge.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    SDT completely outclasses Sylvan Library. It's a shame, too. I ran Sylvan Library in Survival for the longest time if anyone remembers way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, but SDT is so much better.
    Yes. But SDT doesn't draw cards, though it costs a ton of life.

I still agree that it's a pity that Sylvan Library is underplayed because it's strange wording still makes it sick in combination with Hoofprints of the Stag.

Skeletal Scrying is awesome. It's a shame we don't have control decks like we used to.
    I began playing Legacy with IBA's Mono Black Control "Jack Black" (Train Wreck without Greensplash) and it was good since you could compensate the lifeloss with Corrupt/Consume Spirit.

Underplayed: Um...the entire Elf deck. It's sad I'm saying that, but the deck is redonk. Fooling around with it earlier today I played 3 Sylvan Messengers on turn 3, and then played something like 5 lords on turn 4. It was just silly. I personally think it outclasses Goblins given how explosive it is, but the whole Goblin Lackey thing still gives Gobbos the edge.
    Elves are insane, jipp. Clemens always changes his deck to Elves and smashes me after he got humiliated by me with *any deck I played*.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Transmute Artifact

but the whole Goblin Lackey thing still gives Gobbos the edge.
    Lawnmower elves would like a word.

Goblins is better only because of its amazingly disruptive landbase, You could easily make elves that mana base.
    I c h o r i d - my anti blue
    Manaless Ichorid- At least its cheeper than standard.
    We admit for the sake of the exercise that following is true:
    Landstill > Fromat
    Non-Basic Hate > Landstill
    Basics > Non-Basic Hate
    We can therefore logically conlude that
    Basics > Format

Thread Information