Page 101 of 195 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3881

Thread: [DTB] Team America (Aggro/Tempo Thread)

May 2011
    Denmark

Re: [Deck] Team America

btw, if U/R delver is getting you down you might consider Sorins Thirst as a removal spell in the board that is also usefull in other matchups

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

The main problem is that all the blue cards suck compared to their black counterparts and the deck is extremely tight. Discard is unbelievably better than pierce and snare.
    This is true and if blue count isnt a problem then no worries. Ive adopted the tapout version of TA whole heartedly now and man is it sick. Im currently using 3/3 split of hymn and IoK for the win (could be TS). This almost guarantees an aggressive t1 start of either delver/iok or at least ponder to set up t2 in addition to free counters/snuff out. The amount of pressure the deck can exert is pretty insane. Props to whoever initiated this mentality for TA.

May 2011
    Denmark

I want a like function on this forum....

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Here's my latest list for anyone interested. It plays as aggressive as jund but with free counter magic and free removal. Its really rekindled my hopes for TA as a DTB.
    Yes I'm running 19 lands, although strictly on a trial basis at this point. Reason is because wastelands mana production its actually relevant for many spells unlike in tempo thresh. In addition the more aggressive nature of TA and absence of stifle relegates wasteland to a more utility roll (meaning i don't feel its as necessary to commit to land denial as often). Anyway here it is..

Creatures 11
    4 delver of secrets
    4 tarmogoyf
    3 tombstalker

Plainswalkers 2
    2 liliana of the veil

Enchantments 1
    1 sylvan library

Counters/Disruption 14
    4 force of will
    4 daze
    3 inquisition of kozilek
    3 hymn to tourach

Cantrips 8
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder

Removal 5
    3 snuff out
    2 maelstrom pulse

Lands 19
    4 misty rainforest
    4 verdant
    4 underground sea
    4 wasteland
    2 bayou
    1 tropical island

May 2011
    Denmark

I think you are being greedy on the land side, unlike canadian this deck actively wants 3 lands in play. I would shave a force

No time to actually play Legacy
    Jun 2009
    Washington, D.C.

@Tombstalker: Looks like a really tight list, man. How has your testing gone and what are you thinking for sideboard? Can't wait to sleeve this bitch up again.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

I think you are being greedy on the land side, unlike canadian this deck actively wants 3 lands in play. I would shave a force
    I agree, to an extent because wasteland functions as a mana producer in this deck whereas in tempo thresh it really cant. As I said though this is simply a trial run with only 40ish games so far.

@Tombstalker: Looks like a really tight list, man. How has your testing gone and what are you thinking for sideboard? Can't wait to sleeve this bitch up again.
    Thanks man! Testing has been insane. This deck really is the epitome of aggressive pressure. Heres my current SB, subject to change. Duress takes is there because I love the power of snuff out so I dont want the extra damage from thoughtseize plus it replaces hymn quite well against reanimator and such:

2 dread of night
    4 spell pierce
    3 surgical extraction
    1 nihil spellbomb
    2 perish
    3 duress

Jun 2009
    Washington, D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstalker View Post
    I agree, to an extent because wasteland functions as a mana producer in this deck whereas in tempo thresh it really cant. As I said though this is simply a trial run with only 40ish games so far.

Thanks man! Testing has been insane. This deck really is the epitome of aggressive pressure. Heres my current SB, subject to change. Duress takes is there because I love the power of snuff out so I dont want the extra damage from thoughtseize plus it replaces hymn quite well against reanimator and such:

2 dread of night
    4 spell pierce
    3 surgical extraction
    1 nihil spellbomb
    2 perish
    3 duress
    That sideboard looks really good as well. Have you thought about having a single Life from the Loam? That might address the low land count and could even feed Tombstalker.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

I havent actually but I like the idea and will consider it. Right now im just trying to see what is essential and if I have room to fit some form of anti-burn, not sure what yet besides more countermagic. Any suggestions?

I havent actually but I like the idea and will consider it. Right now im just trying to see what is essential and if I have room to fit some form of anti-burn, not sure what yet besides more countermagic. Any suggestions?
    Chill could slow them down enough for the Team America player to take control of the game.
    There is no knowledge that it not power.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

I don't think you need any dedicated burn hate, your spell pierces and cheap discard should buy you enough time on their own.

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Chill could slow them down enough for the Team America player to take control of the game.
    That is a great idea actually. I dont own any but red is pretty relevant right now.

I don't think you need any dedicated burn hate, your spell pierces and cheap discard should buy you enough time on their own.
    That is the idea and you may be right but a whole deck of nothing but damage to the face is hard to stop by just trading 1 for 1. Not sure if I need the hate yet or where to fit it but I like the idea of chill quite a bit, in theory.

Jun 2009
    Washington, D.C.

@ Burn hate conversation: Yeah, I think Chill is probably your best bet. How's your pre-board burn matchup, Tombstalker?

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

@ Burn hate conversation: Yeah, I think Chill is probably your best bet. How's your pre-board burn matchup, Tombstalker?
    Honestly I dont really know since I dont know anyone who plays a competitive burn deck atm, just random burn jank I guess you'd call it. Seems ok.

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by atropos View Post
    That sideboard looks really good as well. Have you thought about having a single Life from the Loam? That might address the low land count and could even feed Tombstalker.
    Card is totally filthy with Brainstorm and Liliana as well, seems like a good choice for opposing Wasteland decks or grindy control matches in general.

Jun 2009
    Washington, D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    Card is totally filthy with Brainstorm and Liliana as well, seems like a good choice for opposing Wasteland decks or grindy control matches in general.
    Oh yeah, the interaction with Liliana of the Veil makes it even nastier, totally forgot about that. Definitely seems like a good sideboard option.

@Tombstalker this TA you've built does have many ways to deal with Price of Progress but it's still not a card you want to see resolve.

May 2011
    Denmark

Your sideboard seems soft to Maverick, it is conventional wisdom (i.e. not necessarily right but true in older times) that you need at least 6 slots to handle maverick and similar aggro strategies

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Your sideboard seems soft to Maverick, it is conventional wisdom (i.e. not necessarily right but true in older times) that you need at least 6 slots to handle maverick and similar aggro strategies
    That could be the case, postboard, since Ive been playing preboard for the most part to get a better feel for the deck. Maverick is one of the decks I am guaranteed to see around here though and this version does very well against it, far better than canadian id say. With canadian I usually board 5-7 cards all removal just to break even.
    However in TA postboard 2 dread of night and 2 perish gives essentially 4 wrath effects plus 7 maindeck hard removal, feels sufficient. The biggest problem ive encountered isnt KotR, its thalia tbh. ramp into t2 thalia + waste will often be game if Im not holding an answer i.e. snuff out, but this is true for most decks. A couple massacre wouldnt hurt, just need to space for these ideas.

An interesting idea ive been toying with is to board stalkers into mongeese vs stoneblade. That matchup isnt all that problematic either but postboard they run a metric ton of removal and it gets alot worse. Probably not worth the SB space though, what do you guys think?

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

An interesting idea ive been toying with is to board stalkers into mongeese vs stoneblade. That matchup isnt all that problematic either but postboard they run a metric ton of removal and it gets alot worse. Probably not worth the SB space though, what do you guys think?
    Probably not worth the space. If you want to try and punish the ass tons of removal plan just bring in Jace. You have more disruption to stop theirs more effectively and resolve yours through countermagic. He also helps against anyone trying to play a board control deck, which usually can remove mongoose quite easily.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor: if the game is going to go long, you really can't go wrong. *Thumbs up*
    they haunt minds...

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Played a bunch more games against maverick. TA definitely had the power to hang but I think nihil spellbomb will become massacre, possibly 2 if I drop a duress. The deck is still problematic and I feel card advantage answers like massacre go a long way to solve the problem. This gives me 5 free removal post board and a total of 7 t1 answers to moms Thalias mindcensors and so on. Knights are still a pain and so is teeg but I think this will be more than sufficient. Thoughts?

Thread Information