Page 5 of 195 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] Team America (Aggro/Tempo Thread)

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Re: [Deck] Team America - Ubg aggro control

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    What about Shadowmage Infiltrator? I know it's been mentioned before, but I haven't seen a comment on it. Too slow?
    Precisely. He just doesn't end the game quickly, and the 3cc hurts. Obviously drawing extra cards is good but that's not really how this deck wants to win. Hypnotic specter would be a better creature for the purpose of creating CA, but he's not blue and also costs 3.

Honestly, there was only 1 game all day that I got screwed on by not drawing a threat in time. And that just happens with every deck. In testing the 8 threats have been fine.
    they haunt minds...

Sep 2007
    MN

I plan on sleeving this deck up and giving it a try. As for the debate over what other creatures could supplement the deck instead of stifle... what choices are on the same level as: A) Sea Drake B) Serendib Efreet. Despite the decks minimal curve I think having daze and sea drake would be less than stellar. Efreet is fairly efficient and evasive but certainly not a huge threat with no equipment. Equipment can't be added due to room and the blue count.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

The list for the most part is as tuned as it gets. As said before the discussion of Hymn vs. Sinkhole is the only thing I can think of as far as maindeck changes. The deck doesn't need more threats, it doesn't need to change. I personally would like to find room in the main for 2x SDT, but I get this feeling that the deck may not be able to support its mana dependency. I was hoping the deck could sport a 1SDT, 3 CB sb option. Although, I can't really think of a matchup I want to bring it in for that hasn't already been covered by other SB cards.

Regarding Threshold Matchups,

5c is slightly ahead in the brief testing we did thus far. Thoughseize/CB/STP/Mystic Enforcer/and Goose do a great job in this matchup. And it seems that even when the opponent draws 2-4 LD effects it really doesn't seem to matter. Many times I would just drop a turn 2 CB and ride it to victory with cantrips alone.

The matchup is probably about 55-45 in 5c's favor. I want to think that lists without CB are much much worse although, the Stifle/waste package of UGR Canadian thresh plus Spell snare might give the deck fits. And Moon seems like it could be a real beating. All in all it is probably 50-50, which is prity amazing when you take into account that the deck doesn't play CB itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Sep 2006
    Montreal

While we're at it (it might be a stupid idea), but why not Trigon Predator in a CB-Top infested meta (in particular against Threshold - who almost always plays CB in my meta) ?

Thanks for the tips and comments Deep6er (and others)...

I think I'll run Hymns in the Sinkhole slots and see where it takes me against Threshold.

The random fast aggro (or vial based aggro a la counter slivers) seems a pain. Guess I'll see when I test it.

The Best of Both Worlds
    Aug 2006

Am I missing something? The rowboat does exist. It's called Dandân.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Dandan has an ass of one, while having Islandhome instead of Islandwalk. Very different.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

What about something like Benthic Djinn or Moroii? They're pretty beefy and pitch to FoW too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Also, this thread needs more drunk Peter Rotten.
    Team ICBE - We're so good at playing Threshold, we don't even play it.

Team Keg Stand - If only the kegs weren't empty...

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    And am I right in thinking that the next best threat for this deck after Tombstalker and Tarmogoyf (if you want one) is likely to be Sea Drake?
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Aug 2006
    Area 88

Sea Drake is probably the next best thing, but I don't think it's necessary.
    they haunt minds...

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Sea Drake is nifty, but to be honest, not running Chrome Mox like Faerie Stompy pretty much takes away the brokenness of the card. For it to actually return 2 lands is less than stellar especially since its a 4/3 for 3 CC Non Black allowing it to be killed by pretty much every form of removal in the game.

Im going to have to call out Sea Drake as being garbage -in this deck- especially with the inclusion of Daze already.

On a side note can people stop suggesting fucking terrible cards/deck lists. It is really non-productive. Some of you guys aren't even close to having suggestions that are on par with what this deck is trying to do to the extent that I go WHAT when I read some of the posts. Like mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it. Yes I realize I just broke that rule.

Edit: Perhaps Dave and Nightwolf should list cards already tried, as opposed to "did you try this, would XXXXXXX work?".
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Jul 2004

I'll go through the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Bitterblossom
    Quirion Dryad
    Vinelasher Kudzu
    Street Wraith
    Accumulated Knowledge
    Hymn to Tourach
    Spell Snare
    Smother
    Counterbalance
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Dark Confidant
    Yixlid Jailer
    Predict
    Rushing River
    Wipe Away
    Nantuko Shade
    Force Spike

That's the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'll probably remember more as time goes by.

Important note, all of them were bad. Or, for whatever reason, I didn't like them.

To continue, I like Sinkhole a lot more than I like Hymn to Tourach. I think having 12 disruption spells that target land allow you to devastate any deck that looks to reach three or so lands. Or decks that rely on multiple colors.
    Last edited by Deep6er; 10-21-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Addendum.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

Aug 2006
    Area 88

We also tried dreadnought (randomly amazing, but mostly garbage).

That was in the main for a bit a while back, then in the board over diabolic edict (for zoo/sligh type decks).
    they haunt minds...

Maybe Hypnotic Specter... the BB i suppose may be a pain...

What about a couple of Anavolver? Too slow??

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

Quote Originally Posted by johanessen View Post
    Maybe Hypnotic Specter... the BB i suppose may be a pain...

What about a couple of Anavolver? Too slow??
    This is a joke right?

As far as Sinkhole versus Hymn to Tourach. I really have to side with Nightwolf. Sinkhole complements Stifle and Wasteland far to well. Fetches, Basics, and Non Basics all get hit by this deck. Replacing it with Hymn allows basic lands to be a factor.

Sinkhole is a scalpel, Hymn is a Bazooka. Its to much of a shot in the dark compared to Sinkhole which seems like it would be much more effective when paired with Stifle and Wasteland.

Edit: I have been racking my brain lately for an additional creature to add to this deck but so far nothing good has come up. Upon actually playing with this deck Im not so sure it even needs it. Both Goyf and Stalker are solid clocks once they drop for obvious reasons. The ability of this deck to just play the suicide role is incredible, denying opponents the of the basic necessity of land is just too good in this format which allows only 8 threats to be relatively effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

What about using Seal of Primordium in the sideboard instead of Krosan Grip? How often do your opponents manage to assemble Countertop through all your disruption? (Honest question -- I don't know.)
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Aug 2006
    Area 88

We actually thought of trying out seal, but grip is just better in the matchups where you need it (namely threshold). Taking care of Top or killing counterbalance relatively reliably is what you need for that matchup. Against control I'd probably want seal over grip, even control with counterbalance, but threshold tends to see more play.

I will note that seal is generally much better against chalice aggro, so it's not entirely out of the question depending on what you expect.

My opponents were able to assemble counter top through my disruption a good amount of the time, but the problem was that they wouldn't have many resources to devote to putting a threat on the table afterwards (or answer a threat of mine), and I would just cast a tombstalker and snuff out their goyf through their counerbalance and win. It literally happened just like that in about 3 games. On the flip side, I did lose to counterbalance in a couple of games as well.
    they haunt minds...

Membre

Sep 2005
    France

I've playtested this deck a bit and I'm loving it ! It's like a controlish Eva Green, a deck I've played a lot this lasts months.

Still, I have some trouble against burn and Swan Thresh.

The first due to their quick clock and stifle-wasteland proof manabase, the later due to the stifle, daze and spellSnare that counter a bunch of my manadenial plan (sinkhole is quite useless), and their own stifle+wastelands that occasionnaly cripple my own manabase (the burn to the dome finish is painful too).

The 4 BEB-like effects seem to be not enough vs burn, as the edicts vs Thresh (to avoid too much pain from the SnuffOuts I always switch them) not convincing.

In short, switching from Eva Green to this deck seems to have not improved my bad matchup (except fast combo vs which it is more consistent).

I'm not accustomed yet to 'team america' (man this name feels so cocky !) so it might be the pilot and not the deck, but have you encountered the same troubles ?!

Moreover, I dislike Crypts in SB. I'd rather put Extirpates in that slot cause it's quite good vs Ichorid (plus it dodges needle and bounce), but is a better card to side in (in place of SnuffOut) vs combo like Fetchland Tendrils and ANT where snuffOut, BEB, Grips and Edicts are useless.

Whadoyathink ?

Aug 2006
    Area 88

Is burn a good deck all of a sudden? Seriously, 4 blasts is plenty against them. Just focus on sticking an early tarmogoyf or stalker and finding cheap countermagic. It's definitely not like you're playing counter/top against them (where they'd just lose outright), but if you want a good board card because burn is everywhere for some reason, then try hymn to tourach (probably over edict). That card bends them over a barrel.

As far as swan thresh, does that deck actually play stifle/wasteland? I did testing against Canadian Thrash and was ahead in the matchup, but it seems like getting to 4 mana would be difficult for swan thresh to do. Blood moon is a beating though. THAT's the card I'd worry about.

Oh yeah, and extirpate is terrible against ichorid. Crypt beats them. We tested this. Alot. Also, I don't think your tendrils matchup needs more help.
    they haunt minds...

Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by lolosoon View Post
    I've playtested this deck a bit and I'm loving it ! It's like a controlish Eva Green, a deck I've played a lot this lasts months.

Still, I have some trouble against burn and Swan Thresh.

The first due to their quick clock and stifle-wasteland proof manabase, the later due to the stifle, daze and spellSnare that counter a bunch of my manadenial plan (sinkhole is quite useless), and their own stifle+wastelands that occasionnaly cripple my own manabase (the burn to the dome finish is painful too).

The 4 BEB-like effects seem to be not enough vs burn, as the edicts vs Thresh (to avoid too much pain from the SnuffOuts I always switch them) not convincing.

In short, switching from Eva Green to this deck seems to have not improved my bad matchup (except fast combo vs which it is more consistent).

I'm not accustomed yet to 'team america' (man this name feels so cocky !) so it might be the pilot and not the deck, but have you encountered the same troubles ?!

Moreover, I dislike Crypts in SB. I'd rather put Extirpates in that slot cause it's quite good vs Ichorid (plus it dodges needle and bounce), but is a better card to side in (in place of SnuffOut) vs combo like Fetchland Tendrils and ANT where snuffOut, BEB, Grips and Edicts are useless.

Whadoyathink ?

I fail to see how you're having troubles against Burn. Sinkhole is stellar against them, while counter magic is insanely good against them. Burn is like an awful combo deck. Every single card you stop slows down the combo by a turn.

Swan Thresh? Why are you having trouble against that? They have dead cards in the form of Swans and their burn can't really hit your creatures. Even if they're playing Stifle + Wasteland, it's not all that big a deal. Your mana base is functionally more stable than theirs.

I've never encountered troubles like the ones you're mentioning. Don't switch the Snuff Outs for Edicts. That's not how it's supposed to work. The Edicts complement the Snuff Outs and ensure that they never have enough creatures so that your Tarmogoyf will go the distance. Don't be afraid of life loss. I can't stress that enough.

Extirpate? That card is fucking awful. It doesn't beat Ichorid. Why the hell do you want extra cards against Combo? You said it yourself, the build is more consistent against fast combo. Crypt is strong against Ichorid. Extirpate is fucking terrible, and it sucks. Period. That card does not deserve inclusion in this deck. Board in Blasts and beat Combo anyway.

Ichorid is already a rough match up. Don't make it worse by playing Extirpate instead of Crypt. That's just a bad idea right there.

Re: Team America - Ubg aggro control

It's good though...Why would a deck such as eva green need blue though...ever. LOL Anyone? Anyone care to join in? I thought 4x sinkhole, 4x wasteland, 4x thoughtseize, 4x hymn de tourach was enough disruption that there would be nothing left to stop eva???

I guess my question is why play this over Eva Green?

Thread Information