Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Outside Notes

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Re: Outside Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    This scares me. I play all my basic lands as foils because everyone knows they look cooler, but I don't spend the extra 20$+ for any other card to be foil in my deck. Would this be considered cheating?

I have no intent to cheat whatsoever, but if someone plops my deck down and looks at the foil cards, obviously they are gonna see that only the basic lands are foils.

I have to think that more people than just me are doing this these days.
    When you're going to a regular enforced tournament, the chances are slim you'll get a severe penalty for this. When going to a higher rules enforced tournament, you should be experienced enough not to make dumb 'mistakes' like this. You know there are always people who will try to cheat. Judges know this too, you shouldn't be naive and think that when you just look at the judge with big goo-goo eyes he'll make an exception for you, just because you wanted to make your manabase look cooler.

Besides, everyone knows guru (or beta) lands have much more style, and they aren't foil.

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    What if I'm prepared for the tournament, and memorize the cards in my sideboard? Is that considered outside notes?
    Assuming this is a retorical question, what's your point?
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    What if I'm prepared for the tournament, and memorize the cards in my sideboard? Is that considered outside notes?
    Obviously not. There's a requirement in Tournament Error - Outside Assistance to consult some external force (notes, another player, a spectator).
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    There's a requirement in Tournament Error - Outside Assistance to consult some external force (notes, another player, a spectator).
    You clearly forgot that Herbig's memory is sooooo good that it manifests itself physically and can appear as likened to text on a flatscreen. Behold the text from January 26th, 1993 says "Let there be Counterspells."

Banned
    Aug 2007
    I wish I didn't live in New Jersey.

New Question About Outside Notes:

Pre-Printed Life Total Pads,
    They are for keeping track of you and your opponents life obvs, but...

What if I had a section to write my opponents name and/or deck?
    • A section for writing down their hand?
    • A gameplay notes section?

Would this be considered outside notes since it would be helping you remember to take in-game notes?
    If it would be considered out-side game notes then where would you draw the line?
    Since these things are not really enforced should I just use one thats obvs not crossing the line and if a Judge says something use blank paper and take the.. (warning is it)?

@ CDR
    Your response prefered.

Quote Originally Posted by darkalucard View Post
    What if I had a section to write my opponents name and/or deck?
    • A section for writing down their hand?
    • A gameplay notes section?

Would this be considered outside notes since it would be helping you remember to take in-game notes?
    If it would be considered out-side game notes then where would you draw the line?
    Since these things are not really enforced should I just use one thats obvs not crossing the line and if a Judge says something use blank paper and take the.. (warning is it)?
    Well it depends on what you mean by "gameplay notes section". I think you're saying, "A section to write down things about how the game went like 'He went turn 1 Lackey, I forced, he had no gas. I win game1." That's completely fine. If it has pre-printed tips, that's obviously outside assistance.

Otherwise, this is very clearly not outside notes, since there aren't any, you know notes. This in no way provides outside assistance, so it's fine. Any notes you take during a match are fine to look at during that match.

Now however if you play the same opponent in the T8, you can't go back and reference the original notes after you sit down for the match. So you need to study up before you sit down for the match.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

I don't think a reasonable person would interpret having having a section for notes on your notepad as outside notes.

If it was, the infraction is OA, which as posted earlier is a warning at Regular (casual) and a match loss at Competitive and Professional.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information