Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Quote Originally Posted by Tibmag View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm going to a monthly event tomorrow and I'm unsure what to play I have attended the last 2 and came 9th and 8th, with r/w painter and burning reanimator respectively. It's a very varied meta, for instance the first event I faced dredge, dead guy, punishing fit and rug delver. The second event was Ant, death blade, traditional reanimator, death and taxes and planeswalkers bug fit. I have access to most staples so can take along anything but show and tell. Any suggestions would help before I fall back on painter.
    If that meta is not infested with miracles(mirror matches have risk of draw finish) or show and tell(the only tier 1 slightly unfavourable matchup) play UWR MIRACLES 100 %. Best deck in the format Period!

Site Contributor

Sep 2013
    DFW

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    Just noticed you had decks listed. I like RUG Delver. Decent aggro match ups, removal for the top aggro contenders and plenty of counter spells for the plethora of combo I see in the higher numbers listed.

Maverick feels like a good fit for what you're describing. BUG Delver has counter spells, but really not many so that could also be an option?
    Thank you for the suggestion. After looking into it, I believe Junk or Maverick is exactly what would fit the bill.
    Currently Playing
    Legacy: ANT

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Only one AdNaus deck in the top 16 this week?

THANKS OBAMA.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

What are the best FoW decks to punish T1 glass cannon combo douchebaggery like Belcher or Oops, All Spells!?

Edit: The cheaper, the better! (MODO prices)

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

RUG and Miracles.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Thanks for the answer.

Sadly, this aren't exactly cards I'm willing to invest into right now.

What I'm looking for is a deck that extremely punishes those glass cannon decks and only those since I know against whom I'm playing in 2-man queue. But I guess that's more a task for the development forum.

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

If its only for Belcher/Oops I'd go with a deck including this things:
    Force of Will + Daze
    Chalice of the Void + Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors
    Trinisphere + Ancient Tomb/City of Traitors
    Chalice of the Void + Flusterstorm
    and Loadstone Golem, EE, Grafdiggers Cage and stuff.
    Maybe you need Lotus Petal too. Then I can't imagine you losing to this kind of deck unless you mull to 3. And yes, this dissynergies are bearable due to the single-targeted nature of the deck.

I am sure you can build a pile that cannot lose agains this deck-type only.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

I have the following decks built:

Punishing Jund
    Reanimator
    TES
    Belcher
    Dutch Stax
    Mono Red Burn

I want to use these in a SCG Open and possibly at the LGS level. Which deck would be the best in an unknown meta? I'm still not good at the storm decks yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke is Good View Post
    I have the following decks built:

Punishing Jund
    Reanimator
    TES
    Belcher
    Dutch Stax
    Mono Red Burn

I want to use these in a SCG Open and possibly at the LGS level. Which deck would be the best in an unknown meta? I'm still not good at the storm decks yet.
    For an open probably Jund and then Reanimator. The general metagame is overwhelmingly fair right now so Jund seems like a decent choice at least. After that Reanimator is probably next best choice having a good balance of consistency and power. If you don't know the meta at your local game store I would probably go with Reanimator since it's a very powerful proactive strategy. At least until you get a feel for the meta at your LGS unless you know right away that your LGS is hostile to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm opposite. I'd take reanimator in an SCG and Jund locally
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Apr 2009
    NEPA

I honestly think for unknown meta right now the deck I would play is RUG Delver or DNT. These two decks are solid choices, grant it they're not easy to play but if you are somewhat of a skilled player you can pilot them. I would say DNT is a bit harder to play with all the triggers, but for hands to keep Rug delver is harder.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I'm trying to build decks I like, with each having good match-ups against different strategies, so I can mix it up/choose based on meta shifts. Archetypes can be grouped together in different ways, but one grouping that I don't have positive match-ups against with any of the decks I have is aggro like Goblins, Burn, Merfolk, Maverick, and Affinity. Combo would work, but I'm interested in other options, no matter how fringe. Some builds of Enchantress, for example, do really well against the majority of that grouping. Any other suggestions?

I have enchantress to for known metas, but what should i build for an unknown one? I have a lot of the common and uncommon staples, but other than that only a playset of forces and an city of traitors.

Is there a storm combo list that plays force of will?

Quote Originally Posted by Wordslinger View Post
    I have enchantress to for known metas, but what should i build for an unknown one? I have a lot of the common and uncommon staples, but other than that only a playset of forces and an city of traitors.

Is there a storm combo list that plays force of will?
    Spiral Tide
    Hill Giant means business.

Hello, I wanted some advice on which deck lead to a tournament that will take place in September. The tournament will have around 250 players and will be in europe. I have a doubt about which deck to choose: Sneak and show, Shardless Bom version or Team america like this (http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=14351&iddeck=105861, with bobs stifle and nemesi). Btw i can build all other legacy deck.

I look forward suggestions thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm opposite. I'd take reanimator in an SCG and Jund locally
    That's how I'd do it also. Jund can be very inconsistent over a bunch of rounds. Not enough land and no card selection/advantage until turn 3 at the earliest.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I'm trying to build decks I like, with each having good match-ups against different strategies, so I can mix it up/choose based on meta shifts. Archetypes can be grouped together in different ways, but one grouping that I don't have positive match-ups against with any of the decks I have is aggro like Goblins, Burn, Merfolk, Maverick, and Affinity. Combo would work, but I'm interested in other options, no matter how fringe. Some builds of Enchantress, for example, do really well against the majority of that grouping. Any other suggestions?
    Why you no like UWr Miracles?
    Maybe it's not the most origina lidea ever, but there's a reason why this deck is in DTB section. Speaking of aggro, you may go as far as maindeck Pyroclasm, and with the many counterspells, and the CB/Top lock, you're far from cold to combo. Control mirros might be tricky, and it's about who's the better player. But you're good, aren't you? At least that's my mindset ("Im the bst and better not cross my path") and that's why I always end at least... ahem, 0:2 drop.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Why you no like UWr Miracles?
    Maybe it's not the most origina lidea ever, but there's a reason why this deck is in DTB section. Speaking of aggro, you may go as far as maindeck Pyroclasm, and with the many counterspells, and the CB/Top lock, you're far from cold to combo. Control mirros might be tricky, and it's about who's the better player. But you're good, aren't you? At least that's my mindset ("Im the bst and better not cross my path") and that's why I always end at least... ahem, 0:2 drop.
    Haha, I have this great fear that if I picked up Miracles, one day I'd be on camera, commit some major Top/Miracle/fetch/BS sequencing gaffe and be net vilified. I'm gonna jam awesome Enchantress. It sometimes has too many decision trees for my brain, but at least when I do something, no one else will have any idea what's going on. Now I just need something for multicolor goodstuff decks, assuming I'm right that I don't want to play Burn, Blood Moon, City of Traitors, or Nic Fit.

I've been playing Dead Guy Ale for a while now and I'd like to start playing Brainstorm now.
    I recently bought a playset of FoWs to that end, and I have all the Zendikar fetchs except Misty plus Flooded Strands, Snaps and Cliques from Modern. I have Lilis, Bobs, SFMs and wastelands from DGA too. Importantly, I don't have access to goyfs and I'd rather not buy those since getting the blue duals will take some time already.

My meta is pretty diverse, with Dredge, some Sneak and Show variants, BUG Delver, Reanimator, dark maverick and some Punishing Jund all being present. I haven't seen as much RUG nor Storm decks but there are some players still.

I've been looking at 2 color decks since getting enough blue duals for 3 colors will take a long time and I'd like to be able to play a deck before that. Ideally I'd like the deck to be playable with 3 blue duals.

I tried UW Stoneblade, and I somewhat liked the deck although the lack of a good T1 play seemed awkward often, which I guess is why everyone is playing Esper Deathblade instead (I actually don't like Deathblade at all).

I've tried Miracles before building Dead Guy Ale and I liked the deck. Tried it again some more (both the Losset version and the 4 Ponder version that most people here seem to be playing, which I preferred), and the deck still seems fun. I've playing UWR in modern for a few years now and this feels like getting a Ferrari after driving a bicycle all your life in terms of raw power. It's expensive though, since it plays both Tundras, Volcs and Jaces.

I've also tried UR Delver before building DGA and didn't liked it too much since it felt too much like burn. Lately I've been trying a more tempo focused build and enjoyed it, but I get the feeling that it's just a bad version of RUG and that's not what I want. I've also tried Bob Huangs list, which feels very powerful really and quite fun, but maybe still too heavy on the aggro side for me.

I like the idea of playing Delver since I'd like to be proactive but the tempo lists I've tried haven't felt that great. The deck is on the cheap side compared to the others since it doesn't play Jace, plus getting the volcs would mean I'm closer to something like Miracles, but I wouldn't want to be playing a bad version of another deck (RUG) for that long. Maybe with Treasure Cruise in the format there's a way to make a tempo UR list that has a identity of it's own, but I haven't seen that yet.

These are all the things I've tried since I haven't found other 2 color / almost 2 color blue decks.

I guess I'm mostly asking if there are more decks I should try or something I'm missing from the ones I've tried, and if UR Delver would be a good place to start playing brainstorm.

Sorry for the long post!

Hi everyone!

In an unknown/diverse meta, what is the better choice - punishing maverick (with nobles) or punishing jund? There will be tournament soon in near city and i don't know what to expect. My teammates going to play ur delvers, miracles, dredge, and this is all my knowledge about metagame..

help ?
    controls

I'm aiming to fully complete 3 competitive Legacy deck. My choices are Combo Elves (aggro/combo), Death & Taxes (aggro/control, and a combo/control deck. For the combo/control deck I'm finding it difficult to choose. I keep going back and forth on Reanimator and Sneak & Show. I have Reanimator completed but I was curious and tried Sneak & Show and I like how it works. I am struggling at which deck should be my competitive combo/control deck. This is what I see in these decks that keeps pushing and pulling me between them.

Reanimator Pros:
    - I love Reanimator's toolbox-like lock-out/control package.
    - Griselbrand, Iona, Empyrial Archangel, and Elesh Norn are really sweet creatures.
    - Maindecks discard.
    - Can search for it's combo easily with Entomb.
    - Doesn't fold to discard easily.

Reanimator Cons:
    - Graveyard hate is in every sideboard, sometimes even maindecked.
    - Runs 6-8 counterspells in total.

Sneak & Show Pros:
    - Emrakul...just cheating the biggest and baddest creature in magic on the field is a great feeling.
    - The "ONE-TWO-PUNCH" is fun to pull off (Sneak Attack a Griselbrand in and draw cards for a Lotus Petal and Emrakul and KO).
    - Runs a lot of maindecked counterspells (10+)
    - Pyroclasm
    - Leyline of Sanctity

Sneak & Show Cons:
    - Sometimes you just can't find your combo pieces.
    - Weak against Karakas.

Thread Information