Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

What Should I Play In My Metagame?

This is now the official thread for this type of discussions. Do not create separate threads. - Nihil Credo

One of the most fundamental questions when playing a Constructed format is: "What deck should I play?" or more accurately "Which deck gives me the highest chance of winning?"

A high winning percentage can mostly be achieved when your deck strategically trumps a majority of the field. So in order to find the "Tinker" deck for your metagame, you have to know your metagame.
    I think this aspect of the game is as important as tweaking your maindeck or sideboard, and doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Now, the purpose of this thread is to describe your metagame as good as possible and afterwards the other Sourcers try to help finding the deck that trumps your metagame.

For example, in my metagame Landstill is very successful and "obscure" combo decks like Belcher and Breakfast are also quite popular (strangely no Tendrils). The Landstill versions range from two-color to 4-color versions. There is also a smattering of various Aggro decks (too many to list them all), although they mostly populate the lower tables, so I think they're not that important.

What deck would be the optimal choice in a metagame like this?
    Last edited by Nihil Credo; 09-29-2008 at 09:27 AM.

deckcheck.net guy

Aug 2007
    Germany

Re: The Metagame Thread

No counterbalance? Landstill the only blue deck?

Play storm combo. TES, FT, Solidarity. Adjust the sideboards for the opposing combo decks (e. g. by playing Echoing Truth in FT and Solidarity) and you're good.
    Team SPOD
    [23:08:50] <@Anusien> You want me to actually test?
    [23:09:02] <frogboy> I thought you already had
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Those better times were when you were ignorant of the state of things.

Re: [Discussion] Your Metagame Thread

Yeah, almost no Counterbalance and Threshold. Also, no Ichorid, Stax and very little Goblins. Strange metagame indeed.
    I don't know if Storm is the way to go, because there are quite a few decks packing Duress and Hymn.

This thread is not just for my particular metagame, feel free to describe your own metagame so that other Sourcers can help you.

Dec 2006
    Spain

You can play FT and deny easily that others combo decks with FOW and Orim's Chant. Echoing Truth maindeck would make this matchs much better.

Vs Aggro and Landstill you can simply Goldfish them in 2nd-3rd turn.

Duress and Hymn would be a little more hard, but Disupt, Divert and Spell Snare could help.

My Meta is mostly random aggro decks, a bunch of landstill/control decks with top and CB, a few combo decks, and soon a bunch of prison/stax decks. No thresh... but goblins has shown its ugly face once in a while. Edit: also a few BW hand disruption decks.

What should I be playing? Metagame included.

The metagame at my local card shop is mostly Landstill/Threshold decks. Lots of Countertop, lots of Force of Wills, etc. There are no storm decks, and very few Ichorids. There is also only one vial Goblins deck.

What should I be playing?

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Re: What should I be playing? Metagame included.

Quote Originally Posted by madcow305 View Post
    The metagame at my local card shop is mostly Landstill/Threshold decks. Lots of Countertop, lots of Force of Wills, etc. There are no storm decks, and very few Ichorids. There is also only one vial Goblins deck.

What should I be playing?
    Aggro Loam. You beat Threshold, Landstill, Countertop, and you can just board shit in against Ichorid. Also, Vial Goblins is a bye for you, no joke.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Feb 2006
    Boston

RGB Survival. 7-8 discard spells, 2+ Magus of the Moon, recursion, and a versatile wishboard are both bad news for blue based control. Goblins is about even preboard, and gets better post board. Ichorid can be heavily boarded for to improve games 2 and 3.

Banned

Feb 2008
    SF CA USA

Stompy decks. None of those decks could stand up to their affordable might.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus-God View Post
    Aggro Loam. You beat Threshold, Landstill, Countertop, and you can just board shit in against Ichorid. Also, Vial Goblins is a bye for you, no joke.
    Second. Aggro loam will run those blue decks down.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Third. Aggro-loam. Each creature attack is like getting hit by a bus with Tarmogoyf usually being the tiniest. Play chalice MD for increase sad faces...it does absolutely nothing to your deck but shuts down multiple cards of theirs at 1.

Chief Head Chief of the Department of Redundancy Department
    Dec 2005
    Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    RGB Survival. 7-8 discard spells, 2+ Magus of the Moon, recursion, and a versatile wishboard are both bad news for blue based control. Goblins is about even preboard, and gets better post board. Ichorid can be heavily boarded for to improve games 2 and 3.
    Seconded. You can also tailor the deck as the metagame adjusts.

Dragon Stompy would also be a good choice, although it's nowhere near as consistent as Survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    And make no mistake, a Hulk Flash dominated metagame is shit on a plate. Sure, it made for an interesting GP and possibly even attracted a few curious newcomers who wondered "I wonder what it's like to eat shit?" or "I wonder what it's like to make other people eat shit?" That's all fine and dandy, but I'll be glad to say "Good riddance!" to Flash when I wake up tomorrow.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Dragon Stompy. Every deck you listed is favorable.

Imperial Painter's also a good choice. Just keep a decent Ichorid board.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    Third. Aggro-loam. Each creature attack is like getting hit by a bus with Tarmogoyf usually being the tiniest. Play chalice MD for increase sad faces...it does absolutely nothing to your deck but shuts down multiple cards of theirs at 1.
    Aaaand fourthing the Loam option. Worm Harvest is surprisingly good against control, so having one in the board is a good idea. Running Eternal Witnesses somewhere also helps get back things that get countered.

Just be careful about graveyard hate like Leyline.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

I put another vote into agro loam, as you will molest that metagame with it.

Luck sack

May 2008
    Chicago

agroloam with raven's crime its brutal on blue control.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

AggroLoam or RGB Survival. Actually, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ichorid either. Ichorid is the easiest of the three to hate, and will have the hardest time against Goblins, but the easiest time against Thresh and Landstill. It's also probably the cheapest of the decks. Am I missing something obvious about the Ichorid matchups?

NO FUN JUST PSYCHATOGS
    Oct 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    Actually, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ichorid either. Am I missing something obvious about the Ichorid matchups?
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook
    This change also changed the sideboard, Xantid Swarm - it’s been real. Peace.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Actually, what on earth does

This.
    mean? That slang, clearly showing how cool and internet-savvy you are, has not yet reached the mere internet mortals on this coast.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    Actually, what on earth does

mean? That slang, clearly showing how cool and internet-savvy you are, has not yet reached the mere internet mortals on this coast.
    It means he agrees with you. As in, "this is what I would say, also". It also serves to add emphasis to your prior statement.

You seriously didn't know that?
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Thread Information