Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Quote Originally Posted by Collman View Post
    I've tried Miracles before building Dead Guy Ale and I liked the deck. Tried it again some more (both the Losset version and the 4 Ponder version that most people here seem to be playing, which I preferred), and the deck still seems fun. I've playing UWR in modern for a few years now and this feels like getting a Ferrari after driving a bicycle all your life in terms of raw power. It's expensive though, since it plays both Tundras, Volcs and Jaces.
    Actually, you can play a manabase consisting of 2 tundra, 1 volcanic, 10 fetches and rest basics without it being a struggle in miracles. I actually think Lossett play a similar manabase, but with Karakas (Which I'm actually not sure, if DGA plays.)

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@ wizard_of_gore: If you're going in blind, neither deck is better. Play whichever one you have access to and have more experience with. Sideboard against what you know is guaranteed to be there, and then adjust for next time, when you know what the field is like in that area.

@ Brentane: Proxy both of those decks and test them against your friends or people at your local store(s). See which one you like better. As you've noted, each has pros and cons, but what you spend your money on is really up to you. The nice thing is that the decks share pieces, so you may end up deciding on one and then filling in the missing pieces to the other next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    @ wizard_of_gore: If you're going in blind, neither deck is better. Play whichever one you have access to and have more experience with. Sideboard against what you know is guaranteed to be there, and then adjust for next time, when you know what the field is like in that area.
    Thank you very much, i already played at tournament, almost to the top. finished second with punishing jund. I was playing against 3 delvers deck (2x uwr, 1x bug), gbw nic fit, dredge and miracles. Jund is still strong.
    controls

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_of_gore View Post
    Thank you very much, i already played at tournament, almost to the top. finished second with punishing jund. I was playing against 3 delvers deck (2x uwr, 1x bug), gbw nic fit, dredge and miracles. Jund is still strong.
    Cool. You clearly made the right decision for that event. Congrats.

I think I've already decided which deck I want to play, based on preferences, but after seeing this thread, I'm curious what the "best" deck would be.

Below is the number of times I've seen an archetype in a top-8 position in the last two or so months. Names come from the deck author themselves and I can't provide clarification in most cases:

UR Delver
    Lands
    Omni-Tell

Burn
    BW Death and Taxes
    Deathblade
    Reanimator

Enchantress
    BUG Pod Nic Fit
    BUG Control
    Dredge
    Flamespeaker Stompy
    Painted Stone
    Death and Taxes
    Stoneblade
    MUD
    Punishing Jund
    Goblin Stompy
    Goblins
    BUG Delver
    Shardless BUG
    Storm
    Loam Pox
    Spirit Weiners (I have no idea)
    RUG Delver

Dec 2014
    Valpovo, Croatia

Hello guys!

I have a little problem with choosing the right deck for my metagame. I'm always playing decks in white, black & green colors like Junk, Maverick, Deadguy Ale, Pox, etc, and I based my collection on buying cards for that colors. Metagame is this:

2x Merfolks <-can't beat them at all
    1x Dredge
    1x R/W Burn Aggro
    1x Belcher
    1x Jund <- can't beat at all
    1x U/W Countertop
    1x Reanimator
    1x Tin Fins
    1x Oops! All Spells
    1x G/B Infect
    1x Death without Taxes (no Ports, Wastes, Karakas)
    1x Maverick
    1x Affinity
    and some budget random decks.

So, the question is, which deck will be best to play against this meta? In those three colors (or less). :D

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid__Android View Post
    Hello guys!

I have a little problem with choosing the right deck for my metagame. I'm always playing decks in white, black & green colors like Junk, Maverick, Deadguy Ale, Pox, etc, and I based my collection on buying cards for that colors. Metagame is this:

2x Merfolks <-can't beat them at all
    1x Dredge
    1x R/W Burn Aggro
    1x Belcher
    1x Jund <- can't beat at all
    1x U/W Countertop
    1x Reanimator
    1x Tin Fins
    1x Oops! All Spells
    1x G/B Infect
    1x Death without Taxes (no Ports, Wastes, Karakas)
    1x Maverick
    1x Affinity
    and some budget random decks.

So, the question is, which deck will be best to play against this meta? In those three colors (or less). :D
    Junk Nic Fit will shore up your Jund and Merfolk matchups at the cost of your combo matchups. Having said that, four of the combo decks are graveyard based so Surgical Extraction, Deathrite Shaman, and especially Containment Priest will treat ya good from the side board.

Only deck Id be super concerned about would be Belcher, and that is to the point to where I suggest not devoting much space at all for it.

Dec 2014
    Valpovo, Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Junk Nic Fit will shore up your Jund and Merfolk matchups at the cost of your combo matchups. Having said that, four of the combo decks are graveyard based so Surgical Extraction, Deathrite Shaman, and especially Containment Priest will treat ya good from the side board.

Only deck Id be super concerned about would be Belcher, and that is to the point to where I suggest not devoting much space at all for it.
    Hmm...I've tested G/B against Merfolks and almost always won 2:0, but Jund is a tough one. He always beats me 2:0. I think that against combo decks, sideboard is the main weapon. And a few maindeck things, like Sc. Ooze, D. Shaman, and some discard. Should I add the white in it or not? I've tested some games with GWB Nic Fit, but was very slow against some of those decks.

Oct 2010

Hmm...I've tested G/B against Merfolks and almost always won 2:0, but Jund is a tough one. He always beats me 2:0. I think that against combo decks, sideboard is the main weapon. And a few maindeck things, like Sc. Ooze, D. Shaman, and some discard. Should I add the white in it or not? I've tested some games with GWB Nic Fit, but was very slow against some of those decks.
    You get more efficient removal with white, as well as two valuable cards against combo: Containment Priest and Gaddock Teeg. My recommendation of the deck is too slow is to swap deed out for deluges.

Dec 2014
    Valpovo, Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    You get more efficient removal with white, as well as two valuable cards against combo: Containment Priest and Gaddock Teeg. My recommendation of the deck is too slow is to swap deed out for deluges.
    Containment Priest ability works on Merfolks too? Vial is a dead card then, and Mutavaults, right?

Oct 2010

Containment Priest ability works on Merfolks too? Vial is a dead card then, and Mutavaults, right?
    Vial yes, Mutavault no. It also doesnt work on Empty the Warrens or Bloodbraid Elf. Keep in mind though that Priest also messes with GSZ.

Hello. I'm big fan of distrupting :) Always mostly played decks in BGx shell heavily discarding and destroying howeaver since printing pernicious deed. For few years I have junkblade and it's my favored deck, now I want to have another deck that doesn't match cards with junkblade. This will be kind of a long time investment so decks which can start from kind of budget way till competitive are cool.
    -I have almost completed merfolk, UR delver, and have a lot of green zenith targets (no FoW nor duals)
    -I'm fan of midrange/aggro-control and decks that are 50/50 and need skills
    -Deck should be cool for random/unknown meta
    -Hate playing Cabal therapy ;)
    -Would be nice if deck fit in mono U or UR

What would you recommend for local meta that consists of unusually high amount of fast combo and pox decks? Blue based decks are good against combo but at least delver decks are pretty much lacking against pox. I've been running Sneak & Show in few tournaments and doing decently against most of the field, but is there a better deck to combat against pox?

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum and am glad I did!

I have been slowly building RUG Delver and have finally been able to playtest it. I recently stumbled upon the bUrg tempo deck that I equally fell in love with. I am having such a hard time deciding between the two decks and I basically don't have the financial means to keep both. I know my question is very arbitrary in nature, but does anyone have any wise words or experience?

For reference I have:
    4 Goyfs
    3 Tropical Islands
    2 Volcanic Islands
    4 Wastelands
    4 Force of Will

So to finish RUG I would need a volcanic island, but to finish bury tempo I would need to trade 2 goyfs and a tropical to get 2 underground seas.

Help!

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Finish RUG. It's a deck with a high floor even when it's not well positioned, and when it's good it's great. BUrG is a really powerful tempo deck, but its manabase is a disaster (the only worse manabase is Deathblade's), and you'd need to part with flexible staples to finish building it. Buy your last Volc and play RUG. If you do well with it, you may win enough to pick up the Seas eventually.

So I need some help. I used to be a UR Delver player, but I don't think the deck will be good enough now without TC. I have a couple of legacy tournaments this weekend and I'm trying a Dig version, but I'm not hopeful. So now I need a new deck. This is a crossroads of sorts because I have it down to Sneak & Show and Jeskai Stoneblade. Combo v Midrange. I like the idea of Sneak & Show because of the brute force of the combo plus the ability to play the control role with your counters. However, I can see myself cursing the deck when I am holding 3 fatties but never draw the facilitator and die to burn or something. Jeskai Stoneblade seems like a bit of an unknown entity at this point since switching from TC to Dig might or might not be a big deal. That said, it seems to be a consistent deck with powerful threats and few truly bad matchups. My current cards are just the cards that were in UR Delver (4 Force, 3 Volc, and blue fetches). I don't really have a type of deck that I usually like to play and I'm more interested in finding a deck that is good. What do you all recommend based on a normal SCG Open metagame? Thanks!

Dec 2014
    Valpovo, Croatia

Well, my metagame changed a little bit, but my Nic Fit didn't worked out very well. Metagame is now: 2x Merfolk, 1x Dredge, 1x Burn, 1x MonoU tempo, 1x UWR Stoneblade, and 1x WRB Stoneblade. I was planning on building a Death and Taxes deck, but I don't know is it a good idea.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Well, my metagame changed a little bit, but my Nic Fit didn't worked out very well. Metagame is now: 2x Merfolk, 1x Dredge, 1x Burn, 1x MonoU tempo, 1x UWR Stoneblade, and 1x WRB Stoneblade. I was planning on building a Death and Taxes deck, but I don't know is it a good idea.
    That does look like an almost ideal metagame for Nic Fit though?

Maybe someone can help, got a question from someone over here today and could not really provide an answer.

What are the best / most competitive decks in a meta circling around Miracles / ANT-TES / Delver variants , that does not require the big staples (ie, Lilianas, Tarmogoyfs, Wasteland-Ports, Force of Will) ?

Thanks. (I was kind of stuck beyond Elves / Burn / Drege... because this is for MTGO, Elves is quite cheaper than in cardboard.)
    Last edited by jmlima; 02-03-2015 at 02:02 AM.

I played at a small local tournament last month. I played Sneak&Show.
    Now i wanna play a more "fair"deck. Hope you can give me some advices.

My meta is the followin:
    Merfolk, MUD, Elves, Death&Taxes, Stiflenought, Reanimator, Burn, Miracles, RUB Aggro with YP and Swiftspear (Like RUG just instead ofGreen he uses black for discard and Tasigur), BUG Delver

Hope you can help me to find the right choice :-)

Thread Information