Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Re: What Deck To Build?

Quote Originally Posted by junkdiver View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am trying to figure out what to do about a deck. I have some legacy cards, but none of the decks I have are really cut out for my meta.

Currently I have Dregde, and Goblins ( No Rishadan ports).

There seems to be too much Combo to run goblins, and too much dredge to run dredge (everyone packs hate for it)

This is approximately my meta:
    1-2 Merfolk
    3+ Dredge
    2-3 ANT
    1 Belcher
    1 Dreamhalls
    1 Golden Grahms/Bomberman combo
    1 Life.dec
    1-2 Thresh
    1-2 Zoo
    1 Enchantress
    1 Countertop Natural Order
    1 stax
    3-4 Random jank/EDH

The relevant cards I have for the format (in addition to the decks mentioned above) currently:
    4 Chalice
    3 crucibles
    4 plateaus
    1 Bayou
    4 StP
    4 Cannonist
    4 Serra Avenger
    4 Vials
    4 Wastelands
    4 Leyline of the void
    7-9 Various fetches (red/black)
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Price of progress
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Unmask
    3 Kataki War's wage
    3 Tombstalker
    3 Sensei's Top
    1 Jitte
    1 Sword of light and shadow
    3 Enlightened Tutor

I have no idea what to play/make...

I really don't have any more money to spend on legacy at the moment, but am hoping to trade some of my cards for a deck that would work in the meta listed above.

I thought about grabbing a taiga or two and trying naya sly, or maybe some kind of white weenie, or white stax, but I am burnt out on my horrible ideas, and would like some advice from people who actually know what they are talking about :D

Any thought dudes? Should I stick to one of the decks I have? Should I trade for something that would work better?
    Goblins with a white splash? LOL... go go Plowshares and Armageddon.

Zoo is going to be expensive, Tarmogoyf are through the roof. But it seems like the best option.

White weenie sucks.

You could try NoGoyf(UW Tempo) but that would need 4x FoW and 4x Tundra.

Your best option is probably some goblin build. Maybe Rb or mono red.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Since they're both competitive decks, I'd probably keep Dredge and Goblins intact unless you truly despise playing either of them.

I think you're on the right track with Zoo/Naya of some sort; you already have some of the expensive pieces, then Zoo creatures are mostly cheapish (Nacatl? Pridemage? Awesome.). Pickup 2-3 Taiga and a couple fetches and you have a Tier 1 deck to romp with.

EDIT: Totally forgot about Goyf in Zoo... ah der.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

@ Junkdriver - Merged your thread with the "what should I play?" thread.

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Doesn't it seem like there is too much combo in that meta to play aggro like zoo or Gobs? o_O?

Or is Gaddock Teeg/Earwig squad that good O: ?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Using the cards you have though, Zoo is the most natural fit. I mean, you have absolutely no blue (duals, FoW, Counterbalance, blue fetches, etc) in order to fight combo, so rather than start at square 1, you can start with a decent Zoo base still be competitive.... although Goyfs are $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Using the cards you have though, Zoo is the most natural fit. I mean, you have absolutely no blue (duals, FoW, Counterbalance, blue fetches, etc) in order to fight combo, so rather than start at square 1, you can start with a decent Zoo base still be competitive.... although Goyfs are $$$$$.
    That is a good point. What about zoo without Goyf? Would it be any good?

I saw some of the Naya Sly lists don't use Goyf, but they are probably suboptimal.

EDIT: Would zoo do any better than Goblins in that meta? What about white stax? I have chalices/crucibles and wastes, which is not much but maybe a start? I dunno X_X I am just out of ideas. I like aggro and aggro/combo like dredge, but control might be better in said meta. I just dunno :\

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

1-2 Merfolk
    3+ Dredge
    2-3 ANT
    1 Belcher
    1 Dreamhalls
    1 Life.dec
    1-2 Thresh
    1-2 Zoo
    1 Enchantress
    1 stax
    3-4 Random jank/EDH
    I'd fuckn RAPE this meta a new asshole. Play Spanish Inquisition. Real men play combo!
    The only cards you have for the deck are Bayou though.

The relevant cards I have for the format (in addition to the decks mentioned above) currently:
    4 Chalice
    3 crucibles
    4 plateaus
    1 Bayou
    4 StP
    4 Cannonist
    4 Serra Avenger
    4 Vials
    4 Wastelands
    4 Leyline of the void
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Price of progress
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Unmask
    3 Kataki War's wage
    3 Tombstalker
    3 Sensei's Top
    1 Jitte
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    If you REALLY want to make a deck with stuff you already have.. W/r Death and Taxes looks alright.
    You have the cards for quite a bit of it: 4 STP, 4 Serra Avenger, 4 Vial, 4 Wasteland, 1 SoLS, 4 Cannonist, 1 Jitte, and if you splash red, then you can get 4 Lavamancer, 4 Chain Lightning, and 4 Plateau, and you probably have the right fetchlands, and you can use Enlightened Tutor for a postboard anti-combo plan. If you really want to use your cards and not buy something new, I suggest you try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    I'd fuckn RAPE this meta a new asshole. Play Spanish Inquisition. Real men play combo!
    The only cards you have for the deck are Bayou though.

If you REALLY want to make a deck with stuff you already have.. W/r Death and Taxes looks alright.
    You have the cards for quite a bit of it: 4 STP, 4 Serra Avenger, 4 Vial, 4 Wasteland, 1 SoLS, 4 Cannonist, 1 Jitte, and if you splash red, then you can get 4 Lavamancer, 4 Chain Lightning, and 4 Plateau, and you probably have the right fetchlands, and you can use Enlightened Tutor for a postboard anti-combo plan. If you really want to use your cards and not buy something new, I suggest you try that.
    Thanks for the post! w/r DnT huh... O: The main reason I didn't try DnT was because I don't have ports or Karakas and the price of both has gone up alarmingly in the past month or so. Also, doesn't DNT have a pretty bad matchup against combo? There is so much combo in my meta, like it is 80+% of the decks I play against. I feel like LED dredge could do OK, but I am really gonna have to step my skills up as it is very difficult to mulligan.

Still not sure, but thanks for the idea!

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Spanish Inquisition is faster combo. I like my matchup against slower combo like ANT. They might mulligan for disruption, but I have a significantly faster clock and as such love to play against them. I never lost to the combo mirror in tournaments or FNM. Give it a go on workstation. You might like it.

w/r DnT is surely an odd deck, but you have the card to make it. It has a good dredge matchup from what I understand (at least mono-white does), and your aggro game will likely improve with the addition of Grim Lavamancer. I can't imagine running Lavamancer and Mom in the same deck. It sounds nuts. Try it on MWS. Who knows. It could be pretty good. If you run the version with 4 MD Cannonist, then your matchup should be a little better against combo. But yea, until you get to post board, its pretty bad. Post board you can grab Orim's Chant or Silence, and back that up with Cannonists/True Believers. If you get Mom + True Believer/Cannonist then your opponent will have a lot of trouble removing it. Especially with ANT.dec you can threaten Lightning Bolt, putting pressure on them. I think its a decent choice if you want to build something in which you have the cards. Some of them are an investment that you can play in other decks any how.

Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix View Post
    Spanish Inquisition is faster combo. I like my matchup against slower combo like ANT. They might mulligan for disruption, but I have a significantly faster clock and as such love to play against them. I never lost to the combo mirror in tournaments or FNM. Give it a go on workstation. You might like it.

w/r DnT is surely an odd deck, but you have the card to make it. It has a good dredge matchup from what I understand (at least mono-white does), and your aggro game will likely improve with the addition of Grim Lavamancer. I can't imagine running Lavamancer and Mom in the same deck. It sounds nuts. Try it on MWS. Who knows. It could be pretty good. If you run the version with 4 MD Cannonist, then your matchup should be a little better against combo. But yea, until you get to post board, its pretty bad. Post board you can grab Orim's Chant or Silence, and back that up with Cannonists/True Believers. If you get Mom + True Believer/Cannonist then your opponent will have a lot of trouble removing it. Especially with ANT.dec you can threaten Lightning Bolt, putting pressure on them. I think its a decent choice if you want to build something in which you have the cards. Some of them are an investment that you can play in other decks any how.

Cool man, thanks for the suggestion :) One of my friends has spanish inquisition put together I think... Maybe I will tinker with it... Thanks again for the ideas!

Hi
    My Meta consists of mainly Goblins ( R-RG-RGB-RB), Bant/Natorder, Zoo, Reanimator.
    Second most popular decks are. Ant, Encantress, Dredge, Merfolk

What do you guys suggest?

Hello, I took a break from magic and I am going to be entering a unknown meta. My choices are Tempo Thresh or NO/pro CT.

Which is superior for random metas?

awesomeness
    Jul 2007
    Germany

NO - brainer :p
    Every DTB forum update is simply shuffling around the same ten decks.

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by junkdiver View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am trying to figure out what to do about a deck. I have some legacy cards, but none of the decks I have are really cut out for my meta.

Currently I have Dregde, and Goblins ( No Rishadan ports).

There seems to be too much Combo to run goblins, and too much dredge to run dredge (everyone packs hate for it)

1-2 Merfolk
    3+ Dredge
    2-3 ANT
    1 Belcher
    1 Dreamhalls
    1 Life.dec
    1-2 Thresh
    1-2 Zoo
    1 Enchantress
    1 stax
    3-4 Random jank/EDH

4 Chalice
    3 crucibles
    4 plateaus
    1 Bayou
    4 StP
    4 Cannonist
    4 Serra Avenger
    4 Vials
    4 Wastelands
    4 Leyline of the void
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Price of progress
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Unmask
    3 Kataki War's wage
    3 Tombstalker
    3 Sensei's Top
    1 Jitte
    3 Enlightened Tutor

I have no idea what to play/make...

I really don't have any more money to spend on legacy at the moment, but am hoping to trade some of my cards for a deck that would work in the meta listed above.

I thought about grabbing a taiga or two and trying naya sly, or maybe some kind of white weenie, or white stax, but I am burnt out on my horrible ideas, and would like some advice from people who actually know what they are talking about :D

Any thought dudes? Should I stick to one of the decks I have? Should I trade for something that would work better?
    You could try to make a R/W sligh maybe? Just get a few Stoneforge Mystics and a Basilisk Collar, and maybe a couple of Figure of Destiny. Sample list:

non-creature spells (19):
    1x Sword of Light and Shadow
    1x umezawa's Jitte
    1x Basilisk Collar
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Lightning helix
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Price of Progress

creature spells(19):
    4x Steppe Lynx
    3x Figure of Destiny
    4x Grim Lavamancer
    3x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Serra avenger
    2x Jotun Grunt

Land (22):
    4x arid mesa
    2x bloodstained mire
    2x marsh flats
    4x plateau
    4x plains
    3x mountain
    3x wasteland

Not good vs combo I guess but with white theres proper possibilities to fight Combo
    Quit playing Legacy but could still play Goblins (Rgw, Rg, Rw, Rb)

ジェームス・ブラウン

I'm staring in the mirror looking at my biggest rival.

Currently possessed
    Mar 2008
    Rosemont, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeye View Post
    Hi
    My Meta consists of mainly Goblins ( R-RG-RGB-RB), Bant/Natorder, Zoo, Reanimator.
    Second most popular decks are. Ant, Encantress, Dredge, Merfolk

What do you guys suggest?
    Hiya, I don't know if you've already chosen a deck for your meta. But seeing as no one responded to your post, I suppose it's better than late or never. There's a couple decks I could recommend, and this is just based of my opinion, I am sure others would probably recommend somehting else otherwise. Since you already know what you are facing against, and have the general knowledge of what you'll frequently see, two decks spring to mind that you can easily customize to build around your meta are: Mono Black Control and Pox. Pox can be easily configured to hanfle your meta, however, I do worry about your dredge match up, as this will be very horrid for you, without having to devote a lot of Sb space for it, and evev then...

Mono Black control is pretty good as well for your meta. It packs a good amount of creature removal and some disruptionto get things going, you use some artifacts to handle some pesky problems that may arise and clear the board. Problem for this deck that I see however is the ANT match up. Heres a sample of a nice control deck that one of the guys in my meta plays, he's the guy in that video. http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...cle/18971.html

But anyways, while a bit late hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Hello, I took a break from magic and I am going to be entering a unknown meta. My choices are Tempo Thresh or NO/pro CT.

Which is superior for random metas?
    I'd like to this this opportunity to answer this while I am also responding to the other poster. For a blind meta, between the two decks, I may probably go for something like, maybe, Team America. It has a fighting chance on the rest of the field, and can keep up it's disruption quite well. But that's just a personal opinion.
    Always looking for more people to play in the Chicago area. Anyone interested send me a PM.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Isnt Canadian Thresh considered to have at least 50-50 MU with a random field?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Isnt Canadian Thresh considered to have at least 50-50 MU with a random field?

That's why I am asking. NO/Pro is powerful but I was unsure if it would be a good choice for a random/unknown meta.

Jan 2010
    Davis, CA

My playgroup's meta usually has many Aggro-Loam, Zoo, and Countertop decks; with various storm combo, dredge, and merfolk decks thrown in. Lately I've also been seeing some Eva Green.

What do you think?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I'm thinking of playing at some local shops and expecting about 20 people, for a largely unknown meta, but I expect some Merfolk, CounterTop, and Dredge. I'm trying to decide between a Muller-style B/U Reanimator deck and a Saito-style ANT deck

I've played with a lot of different decks and follow the threads of most of the popular archetypes, so I feel comfortable making decisions on how to approach different matchups. However, I've rarely played in tournaments, so I have a poor grasp of decisions such as when to mulligan, what to sideboard, how to deal with hate, and I'd like to minimize the effects of play error as much as possible.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Reanimator is much more forgiving with errors than any form of Tendrils combo, that's for sure.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Thread Information