Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Re: [Discuss] The Metagame Question

Quote Originally Posted by Isamaru View Post
    ... the French aren't much for rogue decking, apparently.
    To be honest, there're so many non-Rogue decks listed that it's very, very hard to actually think of any deck that would be Rogue-enough to count as Rogue. Maybe that deck is actually a Rogues-deck rather than a Rogue-deck -.-

Membre

Sep 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Isamaru View Post
    ... the French aren't much for rogue decking, apparently.
    I do believe it was a tribal rogue deck, not the metagamed rogue deck you can found in some tourneys...

Quote Originally Posted by klaus
    Checking Deckcheck.net I found this:
    10/19 Paris: 119 players.
    10/08 Bourgoin Jallieu: 44 players
    Legacy Championship France: 19. Sep 2008: 202 players(!)
    Paris was the GrandPrix day2 SideEvent. Not shop-related
    A "Legacy Championship" occurs every 6 months now : it's called Bazar of Moxen (BoM) (Legacy Saturday and Vintage Sunday). Next one is 1st-2nd-3rd May 2k9.

Yup, there is some hope for us Legacy French players !!

The Best of Both Worlds
    Aug 2006

Well what's weird is that if there is that large of an event, though not often, it means that those Legacy players are lurking back at their homes, spread throughout. So if they can all be drawn out to play in that big event, why not at weekly events on a smaller scale?

Checking Deckcheck.net I found this:
    10/19 Paris: 119 players.
    10/08 Bourgoin Jallieu: 44 players
    Legacy Championship France: 19. Sep 2008: 202 players(!)
    A GP side event, and a championship, both with lots of foreigners. Frenchies don't like legacy. Bourgoin was kinda big, yeah. Kind of a surprise. Thing is, 1.5 is becoming a little more popular because of the Coupe de France we instaured. Which isn't supported by WotC obv :/.

Anyway, you guys didn't answer yet.

To show you an example:
    Legacy Championship: ended 27th, missing top8 because my lost against Tarmo Sligh and U Staxx. Good MUs, given that I played Faerie Stompy.

Paris: 1/3 drop, losing to stupid decks like False Cure.dec (only player in Europe I guess), Armagueddon WW.dec (because he played 4 unmake) and High Tide (Echoing Truth=>GG), which I think I shouldn't have lost against. People play too much archetypes and I don't like losing against random decks.

In a tournament where I would have some Byes, I would play FS because it has good MUs against dominant archetypes (Loam, Thresh, Rock, Nauseam...) which have more chances to be on top tables.
    Without Byes, the question stands... I can't stand losing to WW once again. Really.

So what would you guys play in a "too much opened" Metagame?

PS: Sorry for writing a new thread about something that already existed :/. I won't do it again, I promiss

Since this is the official thread for metagame considerations, I hope the mods don't mind if I revive this.

Currently, my metagame is infested with Loam strateies, AggroLoam in particular. There are also a few Threshold-esque decks that always seem to be in the upper brackets. I've thought about bringing Ichorid, but the Ichorid pilots at the tournament regularly end up at the lower tables.

What would you play in this metagame?

Buys bulk haterade
    Jul 2008

I'm thinking faerie stompy. 4 Trinket mages to consistently grap crypt/relic/explosives/needle and large equipped fliers with chalice and force, seems pretty darn good. Oh, and storm combo if chalice isn't too big.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Since this is the official thread for metagame considerations, I hope the mods don't mind if I revive this.

Currently, my metagame is infested with Loam strateies, AggroLoam in particular. There are also a few Threshold-esque decks that always seem to be in the upper brackets. I've thought about bringing Ichorid, but the Ichorid pilots at the tournament regularly end up at the lower tables.

Something with Counterbalance or Tendrils.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Something that packs maindec relics. I've been heavily testing MUC lately with MD relic. After boarding with 4 Relic 4 B2B Aggroloam does not stand the slightest chance. Can't really claim the Ichorid MU to be too good though but if you board Propaganda it shold be winnable.

Fish is another dec that can easily support both B2B and relics.

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

Black Tempo Threshold with more than 4 removal and 2 Extirpates main (2 SB). It will be strong in the mirror, against Ichorid and against Loam. With the removal and counters you will beat random stuff as well but you will need BEBs to handle Lackeys and Decks with Burn.

I can give you a list if you are interested.
    TS Crew

Thanks for the replies!

Relic is a good idea, definitely gotta try that out.

Black Thresh with Extirpate seems good, but I suspect that there will be a lot of hate in the next tournament, since Thresh won it all last time. Also, I fear that you still lose to AggroLoam if you don't draw Extirpate fast enough.

Faerie Stompy seems good in theory, but in practice has been too fragile for me.

Does MUC have a good matchup against Threshold?

Would Goblins with maindeck Relic be a good idea?

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

Goblins does not have a very good matchup against Aggro Loam in fact. It's kind of 50/50 from my testing but I would not be surprised if Aggro Loam was a little bit favored in fact. I do run 3 Relics main in my Goblins deck so that definately helps, however your biggest enemy is Devastating Dreams. I run 2 Therapies in my sideboard and actually board them in just to name Burning Wish or Dreams. I mean, there's nothing you can, not overextend does not help because they will hit your lands as well. If you hold your lands in hand and don't cast a lot of relevant spells you will get crushed by their creatures. Anyway, like I said you have about a 50/50 (maybe 45-55) so unless you feel comfortable with that, I would advise another deck.

Combo should have an awesome matchup against Aggro Loam I suppose and there's a Threshold list with Jotun Grunts created by the Germans which should crush Loam. I'd advice you to contact either Adan or Der_imaginere_freund (probably misspelled that), about that list. Ichorid is another solid choice as I can't think of a way Aggro Loam can beat that deck.

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    ... and there's a Threshold list with Jotun Grunts created by the Germans which should crush Loam.
    Its from linux-ll-. He made Top8 with it recently (again):

// Lands
    4 [A] Tropical Island
    3 [B] Tundra
    2 [U] Island (3)
    1 [ARE] Forest (8)
    1 [IN] Plains (2)
    4 [ON] Flooded Strand
    2 [ON] Windswept Heath
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta

// Creatures
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    2 [CS] Jotun Grunt
    2 [TSB] Mystic Enforcer
    1 [ALA] Rafiq of the Many
    2 [LRW] Jace Beleren

// Spells
    3 [LRW] Ponder
    4 [FNM] Brainstorm
    2 [OD] Predict
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [NE] Daze
    2 [DIS] Spell Snare
    4 [A] Swords to Plowshares
    2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
    3 [CS] Counterbalance
    2 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [ARE] Enlightened Tutor
    1 [LRW] Hoofprints of the Stag

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [CS] Counterbalance
    SB: 3 [A] Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 [US] Back to Basics
    SB: 2 [BOK] Threads of Disloyalty
    SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [IN] Dueling Grounds
    SB: 2 [SOK] Pithing Needle

At first the list looks strange and it is denied by almost any poster in the UGw Threshold Thread but its quite successful because its a very flexible deck with answers against every strategy.

@ Black Threshold: You don't always need Extirpate to win against Aggro Loam. The matchup is far better with Tempo Thresh than people like to admit. Especially with the black version that runs efficient hate. Usually good hate decks like Rock and Ichorid also have a hard time against Black Tempo Thresh.
    TS Crew

What deck to build for this Meta

Hi Sourcers,

I have recently decided to make a massive investment in Legacy. Two decks that have really caught my eye have been Merfolk and Goblins. In a perfect world I could build both, but seeing as it isn't, i am forced to choose between them. My "Meta" (just a few guys) Consists of:
    U/W/b Landstill
    Dragon Stompy
    Dreadstill
    U/G/w thresh
    And other random aggro shit.

What deck choice would you think would be better for this meta? And what deck do you think has lasting value. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Not Banned
    Sep 2007
    Portland, OR

Re: What deck to build for this Meta

U/W/b Landstill [Islands]
    Dragon Stompy
    Dreadstill [Islands]
    U/G/w thresh [Islands]

Merfolk > Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by THEchubbymuffin View Post
    U/W/b Landstill [Islands]
    Dragon Stompy
    Dreadstill [Islands]
    U/G/w thresh [Islands]

Merfolk > Islands.
    Kind of what i figured. Do you think Merfolk has staying power though? ( Not just a metagame fluke)?

GOB: The Gathering
    Dec 2007

Regardless of OP's specifics, the general question still stands for the state-of-the-art metagamed deck. That suggests a sticky.

There was one already, no idea how it became un-stickied.

Either way, I'm merging this one into that.

~NC
    You the man
    Last edited by mujadaddy; 05-12-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Forget that tribal junk. Build Slide. Slide rules all.

EDIT: Slide is to Legacy as Chuck Norris is to Matt Weiters.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
    Hi Sourcers,

I have recently decided to make a massive investment in Legacy. Two decks that have really caught my eye have been Merfolk and Goblins. In a perfect world I could build both, but seeing as it isn't, i am forced to choose between them. My "Meta" (just a few guys) Consists of:
    U/W/b Landstill
    Dragon Stompy
    Dreadstill
    U/G/w thresh

What deck choice would you think would be better for this meta? And what deck do you think has lasting value. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.
    If you're willing to make the investment, Faerie Stompy wouldn't be a bad choice. You're about 75/25 against Dragon Stompy, 60-40 against Dreadstill, and 55/45 against UGw Thresh (depending on the list). Landstill is unfavorable, but if you devote a huge chunk of the board to it (9-11 cards), you can have about a 45/55 matchup with it. As for your random aggro matchups, it really depends on the deck, but in general the more equipment the better. If you run Jitte as part of an eight equipment package, you should be around 50/50 or better with random aggro. Unless by random aggro you mean Zoo, in which case you should expect to do a lot of losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    If you're willing to make the investment, Faerie Stompy wouldn't be a bad choice. You're about 75/25 against Dragon Stompy, 60-40 against Dreadstill, and 55/45 against UGw Thresh (depending on the list). Landstill is unfavorable, but if you devote a huge chunk of the board to it (9-11 cards), you can have about a 45/55 matchup with it. As for your random aggro matchups, it really depends on the deck, but in general the more equipment the better. If you run Jitte as part of an eight equipment package, you should be around 50/50 or better with random aggro. Unless by random aggro you mean Zoo, in which case you should expect to do a lot of losing.
    Is it possible to build Faerie Stompy without Sea Drake? If it is, i would definitely build Faerie Stompy

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
    Is it possible to build Faerie Stompy without Sea Drake? If it is, i would definitely build Faerie Stompy
    You can splash Green and run Goyfs and Trygon Predator.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Thread Information