Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

@ Dragonslayer_90: If you want a throwback, Zoo is really good against Imperial Painter. Fast Zoo rather than Big Zoo.

@ locifer: Storm decks should prey on the lack of counterspells. Run Hurkyl's Recall and/or other bounce spells to shore up the MUD matchup.

@R431: Maybe try out a UW build. Supreme Verdict, Peacekeeper, Propaganda, Umezawa's Jitte, and Llawan, Cephalid Empress are all good cards against Merfolk. Dragon Stompy is largely ineffective against mono-colored or dual-colored decks. White Weenie has less interaction than Death and Taxes, so that should be an easy matchup; just don't get blown out by an Armageddon. Dredge loses to Rest in Peace protected with countermagic. Goblins would have trouble beating Propaganda outside of Krenko + Skirk Prospector, and you could level the field with Supreme Verdict or snipe Krenko with Swords to Plowshares. Most Goblin decks are probably built to fight Jitte, but it's still a devastating card against them if you get it online.

My meta is made by

3 death and taxes
    2 Bug nemesis delver
    1 UR nemesis delver
    1 patriot
    1 jund
    1 ANT (burning wish)
    1 Sneak and Show
    1 Monoblack Pox
    1 Zoo
    1 Rug Delver
    1 Reanimator
    1 Enchantress
    1 Merfolk

What should I play?
    Last time I topped8 with patriot and this time i was considering bringing Stalker's Team america.

Thoughts?

Tnx in advance

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@janluis1: I would play Jund with some number of Golgari Charms in the main deck.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    @janluis1: I would play Jund with some number of Golgari Charms in the main deck.
    cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by janluis1 View Post
    cheers!
    Assuming access to the entire card pool/no budget what is the best deck or archetype for a general meta game? I.e a few combo, tempo, a few esper blade and an infrequent odd miracle deck?

Is there an enduring list that I can master and keep piloting year after year with tweaking? I guess I'm looking for something with longevity to benefit from experience I gain playing it (with 50-50 matchup to most decks)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

ANy Stoneblade style deck basically is what you are looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    ANy Stoneblade style deck basically is what you are looking for.
    The addition of the DRS in the deathblade variants - are they more to manipulate graveyards and create a hostile environment for graveyard interaction plans? I guess which is the most middle of the road of the many decks utilizing stoneforge mystic packages?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalus View Post
    The addition of the DRS in the deathblade variants - are they more to manipulate graveyards and create a hostile environment for graveyard interaction plans? I guess which is the most middle of the road of the many decks utilizing stoneforge mystic packages?
    I'm not a huge fan of Deathblade because it just takes a shit vs Blood Moon for the most part, but part of legacy is seeing how greedy you can be and getting away with it. I'm more a fan of the tradition UW splash black for like Thoughtseize and Lingering souls flashback, but I think that version is a tad dated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Deathblade because it just takes a shit vs Blood Moon for the most part, but part of legacy is seeing how greedy you can be and getting away with it. I'm more a fan of the tradition UW splash black for like Thoughtseize and Lingering souls flashback, but I think that version is a tad dated.
    We really need more decks packing Blood Moons, Magus of the Moon, and some number of Wastelands despite the disynergy.

Here's breakdown for our metagame:

2x Nic Fit (Junk)
    1x Explorer Pod
    1x Elves
    1x BUG Delver
    1x Agent BUG
    2x Esper Deathblade
    1x Mono W Stax
    1x All Spells
    1x Belcher
    2x ANT
    1x Pox
    1x Mono R Sneak Attack

I have played around with variants of following archetypes: Nic Fit (Jund/Scapewish), UWR, Junk Stoneblade/Maverick/Deadguy Ale and UR Burn. All of the decks have had various success. I don't own Tarmogoyfs or Jace 2.0's so that's restricting my options quite bit.

I would appreciate if someone could direct my focus to right direction.

Here is the breakdown of our meta:

1-2 x monored goblins
    1-2 x affinity
    1 x burn
    1 x nic fit
    1-2 reanimator
    1 x MUD
    0-1 x aggro, combo, budget elves
    1-2 x bug

The rest are random combo/delver decks with stoneforge.

I'm playing Merfolk... a losing battle it seems.

I only have the pieces for Merfolk. I want to start building towards a new deck. Ideally one that won't cost any more than an additional $1,000. I can borrow mana lands (but not utility lands). Death & Taxes seems good but it is very hard to play.

Me? Aggro Player.
    Nov 2010
    Portugal

Hi guys.

What usually goes around my area:

Monoblack control 1-5 (its really popular, but except 2 solid lists, most of them arent competitive).
    BR control 1
    UB Control 1
    UWR Midrange (Snapcaster, Cryptic Command, Vendilion Clique, etc, and a sh*tload of instants, eventually wins with huge card advantage, he won last tournment) 1
    UW Control 1
    Burn 1
    BG Infect 1

So most of them are control, with very few exceptions.

The decks that i personally own, are Affinity, Monoblack control (can be Pox), Burn, Tribal Elves (not combo, could change to it but i dont rly like elves). I have quite a few blue and white cards.

What should i play? Should i get another list going? If yes, what archetype would you recommend?
    Burn

Pox

Affinity

Aggro Elves

BW Control

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@ Drizzy: I like RUG Delver's chances against that field. Go burn-heavy in the Deathblade matchup if mana denial isn't enough. Sideboard Compost and Life From the Loam against Pox. Pox also should outright lose to a Sulfuric Vortex, but it's possible you won't reach three mana if you're on the draw.

@ Windmill: Sweepers look strong in that field, but as Merfolk, you don't have access to those. You have a lot of unfavorable matchups. If you're stuck with Merfolk for a while, you might try splashing black to play Engineered Plague. Stifle would be good vs. Nic Fit. Null Rod would be strong vs. Affinity and MUD. You probably just have to race Batterskull in the Stoneforge decks. I would try out either Tower of the Magistrate or Back to Basics. For small tournaments, if you're limited by budget constraints, I advocate sticking with a deck and heavily altering it if needed rather than scrapping it and buying into something else. If you're interested in Death & Taxes, proxy up the deck and playtest matches. This will teach you the deck and you'll also be able to see if it's a good fit for you before you start picking up cards for it.

@ Tiago_B.: Elephant Grass seems like it would be a wrecking against many of those decks. I don't know what Mono-Black Control encompasses, so I'm thinking there's a wide variety in your area. I like Enchantress in that field, but if you don't have the cards for that deck, then maybe Elves with enchantments would be good. There are some powerful green hosers that would be ridiculous in that field. See if you could work any of these into your Elf deck: Elephant Grass, Choke, Compost, Lifeforce (I've been wanting to use this one forever). I also like Dredge decks against that field, assuming people aren't playing a bunch of graveyard hate.

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

Hi,

I'm attending to tournament where I am expecting that the biggest part of the metagame is Combo (Storm, S&T, Reanimator), Delver-Decks and Miracles (the rest is typical Legacy-Randomness). What do you recommend for such a metagame?

I'm able to build almost everything except for S&T, Reanimator and MUD.

greetings and thanks, Bierbaron

Me? Aggro Player.
    Nov 2010
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    @ Tiago_B.: Elephant Grass seems like it would be a wrecking against many of those decks. I don't know what Mono-Black Control encompasses, so I'm thinking there's a wide variety in your area. I like Enchantress in that field, but if you don't have the cards for that deck, then maybe Elves with enchantments would be good. There are some powerful green hosers that would be ridiculous in that field. See if you could work any of these into your Elf deck: Elephant Grass, Choke, Compost, Lifeforce (I've been wanting to use this one forever). I also like Dredge decks against that field, assuming people aren't playing a bunch of graveyard hate.
    Thanks for the help, im thinking of using a BG deck, using mass discard, and recurring threats like Bloodghast/Gravecrawler/Tombstalker, LftL/Crop Rotation/land toobox. I might even slot in some Reanimate or Animate Dead to get my opponents creatures rolling for me if needed.
    Compost is amazing cant wait to use it, just like Choke.

I had already thought of Dredge, honestly it seems great in this field, last tournment i didnt saw a single g-yard hate card.

Anyways thanks one more time, i cant play affinity again since several people said that they were boarding hate for me next time.
    Burn

Pox

Affinity

Aggro Elves

BW Control

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@Tiago_B.: If grave hate isn't played, then Dredge is a great option. Enjoy steamrolling people through the Swiss rounds.

@ Bierbaron: A True-Name Nemesis deck, probably either Patroit or Deathblade. Or maybe an Esper Stoneblade list without True-Name Nemesis but with a Planeswalker plan for Miracles.

Anyone else want to make some recommendations? I feel like I'm leading the advice in this thread, and I know there are lots of better players and metagame crunchers on these boards.

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely take that onboard. I was already thinking of a black splash anyway.

Oct 2010
    London & Helsinki

@ Bierbaron: I would probably go for Team America or Death and Taxes. Both are good against Storm, Reanimator and Show and Tell. And if you know what you're doing the Miracle match ups are quite decent for both as well. DnT tends to do well against Delver decks and with Team America AD is a beast in the mirror(ish) match ups. Hope this helps.

Englishman in New York
    Dec 2008
    Western Austria

Thanks for the advices so far.

I already thought about playing team america or deathblade (or miracles), though I'm maybe one TNN short of playing deathblade (owning 2 atm).

Patriot is not the deck I enjoy to play, unfortunately :S

Is Brimaz considered a mustplay in D&T nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Bierbaron View Post
    Thanks for the advices so far.

I already thought about playing team america or deathblade (or miracles), though I'm maybe one TNN short of playing deathblade (owning 2 atm).

Patriot is not the deck I enjoy to play, unfortunately :S

Is Brimaz considered a mustplay in D&T nowadays?
    No he's not. Some play him, others do not. It's similar to playing TNN in BUG or Stoneblade. Some do with success, some don't with success.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information