Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

I really wouldn't hate playing Reanimator in that meta. Just make sure to pack some good tech for the awkward mirror and Mirales. Spell Pierces, Flusterstorms etc.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

What would guys play in this meta?

2-3 D&T
    2-3 Miracles
    1 UWr Stoneblade
    1 RUG Delver (This guy usually switches it up)
    1 Punishing Jund
    1 Grixis Control
    1-2 Storm
    1-2 Elves

Then we usually get 1-2 with various niche decks like young Frankenstein, pox, etc.

edit:

Derp we also have 2 Show and Tell players (1 omni, 1 sneak). Not sure how I forgot about them.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

If you can dodge storm and miracles, lands would run train there

12 post I imagine would be fine, dunno what it's grixis MU looks like (good I guess?)
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    If you can dodge storm and miracles, lands would run train there

12 post I imagine would be fine, dunno what it's grixis MU looks like (good I guess?)
    12-post seems fine against Grixis Control (without Wasteland). Grixis Delver is probably a poor matchup. That meta looks like a field day for Punishing Jund though, just pack sweepers in the board for Elves and your only bad matchup is Storm.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Thanks for the advices. Reanimator sounds interessting. Maybe i wanna play a deck with some counters because i dont wanna lose at instant against decks like OmniTell, ANT

Gesendet von meinem SMART-E4 mit Tapatalk
    Cockatrice: Deckerator
    () Reanimator
    Shardless BUG
    Death&Taxes

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Deckerator View Post
    Thanks for the advices. Reanimator sounds interessting. Maybe i wanna play a deck with some counters because i dont wanna lose at instant against decks like OmniTell, ANT

Gesendet von meinem SMART-E4 mit Tapatalk
    If you want to beat other combo decks while still having game against a lot of other things, Reanimator is your deck. Just be prepared to mulligan aggressively and lose to your own deck occasionally as it's not the most consistent thing out there.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Guys, what should I play in local metagame where 2x merfolk, 1x ug infect and gbw nic fit are top contenders? I found very difficult to cover all 3 archetypes because nic fit are so different than merfolks and Ug infect. I don't have any combo deck, but i can put together various "fair" decks from my cardpool (from jund, deadguy, maverick, rock to various BUG decks, Uwx midrange/controls, various delver decks and nic fit).
    controls

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_of_gore View Post
    Guys, what should I play in local metagame where 2x merfolk, 1x ug infect and gbw nic fit are top contenders? I found very difficult to cover all 3 archetypes because nic fit are so different than merfolks and Ug infect. I don't have any combo deck, but i can put together various "fair" decks from my cardpool (from jund, deadguy, maverick, rock to various BUG decks, Uwx midrange/controls, various delver decks and nic fit).
    Jund is probably decent there. You have basics to fetch off Veteran Explorers in the Nic Fit matchup, and your deck wants to reach the midgame. As long as you deal with their Top, you'll have better topdecks. Merfolk dies to Punishing Fire except for TNN, so you'll need some combination of Liliana, Golgari Charm, Marsh Casualties, or Engineered Plague between pre-board and post-board, but otherwise you'll be fine. Infect is much easier when Jund is on the play and can hold up Lightning Bolt and/or Wasteland. Infect has to play a tempo game to win the matchup and will want to KO you before Turn 3. After boarding, you'll want more removal spells, the cheaper the better. Dismember and Ancient Grudge are excellent. All the creatures are x/1s, so any -1/-1 sweeper is strong.

If you go for a Delver deck, I think UR Delver could work out reasonably well. Your creatures start out better than Merfolk's, and you have plenty of cheap ways to keep Infect's creatures off the board. Nic Fit is less consistent, so you'll have the advantage of speed and consistency. UR Delver usually plays basics, so you can benefit off Explorer. You just want fast beats, burn, and ways to reload.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Hey guys,

I have been playing BURG and Grixis/g Delver, but I am getting crushed by 1) a UWR Blade deck with 4 Supreme Verdicts, 6 basic lands, and a bunch of weird planeswalkers (I think 1 Jace, 1 Narset, 1 Nahiri, Lithomancer, and 1 Elspeth, Knight Errant). I think his only creatures are 4 Stoneforge and 2-3 Snapcaster Mage, and then a metric ton of removal (4 Swords to Plowshares, 3 Council's Judgment, 4 Supreme Verdict, Pyroblast postboard etc); and 2) a Monastery Mentor Miracles deck (standard build basically).

I have access to BUG, BURG, Grixis, and RUG Delvers, but I am not sure which configuration to play or what kinds of cards would be powerful. I am leaning towards something with Stifle to combat the ridiculous curve of the blade deck, but last time I tried RUG or Grixis with Stifles I got Counterbalanced out pretty easily by Miracles.

Would you guys recommend something like BUG delver because Abrupt Decay is a nice answer to Counterbalance and you also have discard and stifle to combat the high curve blade deck?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Lands
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I would recommend not Delver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Heading to GP Seattle this year and I am fairly new to the format. I am just unsure on how to call a meta at this point. What do you all predict and what do you suggest to take? I have Punishing Jund but I was thinking Elves with Bloom Moon sideboard or Storm...Am I on the right track?

So haven't played legacy in almost 8 months and am currently abroad and happened to bring my legacy stuff with me and want to play in a local tourney. The top8s from the past 2 tourneys here have been:

2 DnT
    1 Shardless
    2 Miracles
    1 Fish
    1 MUD
    1 Esper Stoneblade

1 Burn
    2 Miracles
    1 BUG Delver
    1 4C Delver
    1 Canadian Threshold
    1 Grixis Control

Judging from sideboards there's a small amount of graveyard hate going around (only 2-3 decks have any graveyard hate and it's most commonly grafdigger's cage, only 1 RiP).

The 3 decks I have available to play are Omni-Tell; TES; and Reanimator. I get the impression that Burn shows up fairly regularly as there's a few chills floating in sideboards. Also more than a couple of Dread of Nights/Massacres which make me think DnT is common-ish as well.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@ironclad8690: BUG is what you want. Hymn away all those removal spells, and cramp their mana with Wasteland and possibly Sinkhole. Daze will clean up the rest. Nice four-drops ...

Ditto for the Mentor Miracles deck, which is basically just a worse version of Miracles in that MU. If you aren't running Sinkhole, then play Null Rod, Pithing Needle, or Winter Orb in the sideboard in order to shut off Sensei's Divining Top so their Mentor becomes just an overcosted 2/2. Mentor is only scary when they have double Top or are untapping with a bunch of lands in play and cantrips in hand. Vendilion Clique is strong against both decks. Consider having two or three copies somewhere in your 75.

@DeathriteSalmon: Wait for the banning announcement in a few weeks. If nothing gets banned, expect a lot of Delver decks, midrange blue decks playing Dig and lots of removal, Omni-Tell, Miracles, and Burn and Affinity players spilling over from Modern. If you're coming in without byes, then your first two rounds will be the Wild West, and you should be familiar with your deck so that you can gain percentage points there. If there are bannings before this GP, then the format will become more open, and I would expect Miracles to benefit most from a Dig banning.

@atosecond: Omni-Tell is probably your best bet. Decks have trimmed grave hate because the graveyard decks are simply not well-positioned. Dredge might have the raw power to exploit the reduction of dedicated hate, but Reanimator still is more of a spell-based deck. Deathrite Shaman is in most of the Delver decks nowadays, and Karakas is in D&T and a lot of Miracles lists. If you're a TES master, then come with your Abrupt Decays and expect to fight through some Flusterstorms. Personally, I would just run the best combo deck of the moment, which is, IMO, Omni-Tell.

I think of building slowly into a new deck. I have D&T or MUD in my mind. What do you think. Now that DTT is banned and Black Vise is back.
    What can you recommend to me?

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Black Vise will likely have about as much impact on the format as Land Tax. Given your two choices, I think I'd rather play Death & Taxes. You at least get SFM, Ports, and Wastelands that way, whereas MUD doesn't get you much of anything toward other decks.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    Given your two choices, I think I'd rather play Death & Taxes. You at least get SFM, Ports, and Wastelands that way, whereas MUD doesn't get you much of anything toward other decks.
    I have already some cards for D&T like Wasteland, Stoneforge + sword package, Mother, Thalia, 2 Karakas.
    The most expensive cards im missing are Vial and last but not least Rishadan Port.

I asked because i am not sure what will be better performing in the "new" meta. But i think it will be D&T?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Deckerator View Post
    I have already some cards for D&T like Wasteland, Stoneforge + sword package, Mother, Thalia, 2 Karakas.
    The most expensive cards im missing are Vial and last but not least Rishadan Port.

I asked because i am not sure what will be better performing in the "new" meta. But i think it will be D&T?
    D&T is more consistent and more fun to play.

Go with D&T.

Mono-U Omnitell has essentially been banned, and now I am a refugee.

I want to play the best blue combo deck that exists that will exist in a competitive state (not necessarily always tier-1 but has the potential to be) for awhile to come.

What is it? Is it Sneak & Show or ANT?

A king should never sit easy upon the Iron Throne
    Mar 2008
    Columbia, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill View Post
    Mono-U Omnitell has essentially been banned, and now I am a refugee.

I want to play the best blue combo deck that exists that will exist in a competitive state (not necessarily always tier-1 but has the potential to be) for awhile to come.

What is it? Is it Sneak & Show or ANT?
    Sneak and Show will hand you a lot of free wins, but you'll struggle with the hate. I feel storm is the strongest and most versatile combo deck that exists in Legacy. Pilot beware: you'll defeat yourself a lot before you have put in enough time to comfortable navigate a long tournament with it. The deck is incredibly fast, resilient, offers a multitude of lines to play from, and can just wiggle itself into a win when you know what percentages to lean on. Put your best poker face on and keep your opponent guessing 'til the end. Storm is absolute power in the hands of a competent pilot.
    Rest in peace, Grandpa Morphling.

Nemeses Slain:4

Thread Information