Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Sounds strong. But doesn't it just fold to certain decks, like MUD or DnT? It feels like Storm really struggles with hate too. What version of storm would you suggest?

MUD is really hard unless you're running 2 Hurkyl's and 1 rebuild in the board like Caleb Scherer does. D&T can be beaten with Dread of Night, Massacre, Disfigure, even Sulfur Elemental.
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Currently this is my local meta, what should be good call here?

ANT
    BUG Delver
    Shardless BUG
    Dark Maverick
    Goblin (Dragon) Stompy
    Grixis Pyromancer
    Infect
    Miracles Helm+RiP
    Miracles Thopter
    MUD
    Painter
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Not looking for a metagame choice, I'm really just looking for a blue deck to expand to. I like the intense decision making trees of Death and Taxes (if you haven't played the deck I swear the decisions are ridiculously difficult when you get good at it). I liked playing Dread-Still a few years back (got to play one tournament), but it was a pretty specific metagame choice to counter UWR Delver. If there is something as magical as that deck, I would definitely like to play it.
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

I need your help. My meta is full of Aggro Loam. What decks are good against it?
    Cockatrice: Deckerator
    () Reanimator
    Shardless BUG
    Death&Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Deckerator View Post
    I need your help. My meta is full of Aggro Loam. What decks are good against it?
    Comboish decks like Burn, Sneak and Show, maybe Aluren.

Thanks fpr your reply.
    Is Reanimator an option, too?
    Now i am unsure about playing Reanimator or Sneak&Show?

Whats better?
    Cockatrice: Deckerator
    () Reanimator
    Shardless BUG
    Death&Taxes

If Deathrite Shaman didn't exist..

You might wanna check the Omniscience thread(s) also
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

So let's say in an unknown metagame what do I build? I own:
    Forces
    1 JTMS
    1 U-Sea
    1 Tundra
    Many modern staples.
    I've been considering building Esper mentor but am worried it's too janky. I just want to build a good solid first legacy deck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    So let's say in an unknown metagame what do I build? I own:
    Forces
    1 JTMS
    1 U-Sea
    1 Tundra
    Many modern staples.
    I've been considering building Esper mentor but am worried it's too janky. I just want to build a good solid first legacy deck!

I wouldn't say it's too janky. Esper Mentor and Stoneblade are both good decks, and the colour combination will always be powerful even when it's slightly out of favour (as it is at the moment).

UW(b) Landstill is another option. You could build something like this:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Ponder
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Standstill
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Karakas
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Plains
    4 Island

Possibly splashing black for Engineered Plague/Toxic Deluge and Thoughtseize in the SB.

What would you play in an expected meta full of D&T, ANT and Miracles (+ a few random decks as 1-ofs)?

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    What would you play in an expected meta full of D&T, ANT and Miracles (+ a few random decks as 1-ofs)?
    Infect, Hymn-Lili BUG with SB CA engines, RUG with Sulfur Elementals, Elves with Caverns and shittons of SB combo hate, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    I wouldn't say it's too janky. Esper Mentor and Stoneblade are both good decks, and the colour combination will always be powerful even when it's slightly out of favour (as it is at the moment).

UW(b) Landstill is another option. You could build something like this:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterspell
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Ponder
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Standstill
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Karakas
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Tundra
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Plains
    4 Island

Possibly splashing black for Engineered Plague/Toxic Deluge and Thoughtseize in the SB.
    This looks interesting. I'll have track down a primer for this deck (or something similar).

Playing in my first big Legacy tourny this month(SCG). Budget is about 2k. I am trying to decide between:

Dredge - Love Comboish decks, afraid of maybe too much gy hate. I don't know how much is typical in Legacy.
    Goblins - I just love goblins
    Belcher - Combo is fun but not sure if it can win through any distruption.
    Merfolk - Seems like a decent fair deck
    Elves - Like the combo/aggro hybrid
    12 Post - Slamming big things
    White Stax - I like prison decks
    Moggcatcher Red - Love the gameplan but is this any better than any other Chalice/3Sphere deck?
    Affinity - Is this just a bad aggro deck in this format? Any roguish versions I could try?

Which of these is a good intro to the format? Any other suggestions? I think I would hate Miracles and most blue based decks. My friend is playing reanimator so want to avoid that.

Esq.
    Sep 2010
    Toronto, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Frogmite228 View Post
    Playing in my first big Legacy tourny this month(SCG). Budget is about 2k. I am trying to decide between:

Dredge - Love Comboish decks, afraid of maybe too much gy hate. I don't know how much is typical in Legacy.
    Goblins - I just love goblins
    Belcher - Combo is fun but not sure if it can win through any distruption.
    Merfolk - Seems like a decent fair deck
    Elves - Like the combo/aggro hybrid
    12 Post - Slamming big things
    White Stax - I like prison decks
    Moggcatcher Red - Love the gameplan but is this any better than any other Chalice/3Sphere deck?
    Affinity - Is this just a bad aggro deck in this format? Any roguish versions I could try?

Which of these is a good intro to the format? Any other suggestions? I think I would hate Miracles and most blue based decks. My friend is playing reanimator so want to avoid that.
    Out of all of those foregoing decks that you listed, I definitely would not recommend 12 Post or Dredge since you're new to legacy and want to get introduced into the format and get familiar with other decks in the metagame. Indeed, Dredge and 12 Post can be complicated to played, take familiarity with other staple/ tier 1 decks in the format and take a lot of skill to play compared to a lot of other much easier decks in legacy to pilot. Since you don't like any blue base decks (delver variants are good format starters to get use to the legacy metagame), why not play death & taxes, burn or Jund?
    To be the man, you gotta beat the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic_Attorney View Post
    Out of all of those foregoing decks that you listed, I definitely would not recommend 12 Post or Dredge since you're new to legacy and want to get introduced into the format and get familiar with other decks in the metagame. Indeed, Dredge and 12 Post can be complicated to played, take familiarity with other staple/ tier 1 decks in the format and take a lot of skill to play compared to a lot of other much easier decks in legacy to pilot. Since you don't like any blue base decks (delver variants are good format starters to get use to the legacy metagame), why not play death & taxes, burn or Jund?
    I think Delver would be fun to try. What are the major differences between the Delvers? I'll look into DandT also.

Oct 2015
    Paris

What should I play in a meta infested by Eldrazi, Chalice.Deck in general (MUD, stompy variant, merfolk with md chalice etc..) and D&T ?

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Douif View Post
    What should I play in a meta infested by Eldrazi, Chalice.Deck in general (MUD, stompy variant, merfolk with md chalice etc..) and D&T ?
    Shardless seems where you want to be.

Oct 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Shardless seems where you want to be.

Okay, thanks for the advise.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

What is the best possible deck that you guys can think of vs Merfolk?

My local metagame is really small and I usually do pretty well with Shardless BUG or BUG Delver, but things have gotten dicey.

Our local Merfolk player has been on the Chalice of the Void version and now has some Warping Wails in his maindeck, and Misdirections/Back to Basics in his sideboard. Getting Ancestral Visions/Hymn to Tourachs Misdirected is getting really old, so I want to play something that just completely crushes Merfolk (ideally you would want to not care about TNN, not play Islands, not play too many 1 drops because of Chalice).

Any suggestions?

Thread Information