Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Re: What deck to build for this Meta

Quote Originally Posted by Citrus-God View Post
    You can splash Green and run Goyfs and Trygon Predator.
    Because obtaining Trops, fetches, and goyfs is cheaper than Sea drake?

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
    Because obtaining Trops, fetches, and goyfs is cheaper than Sea drake?

I assumed you already had the staples.

If you want to build faerie stompy without Sea Drakes, I'm sure Esperzoa and Juggernauts are good replacements. Maybe Vendellion Clique?

Edit. Sower of Temptations are hot too.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

There really aren't good replacements for Sea Drake. Esperzoa is probably the best one, but you have to build around it. I think scrumdogg has a good Esperzoa list. Check the Faerie Stompy thread.

There's always Deep Blue as a sort of budget Faerie Stompy although I know nothing about its matchups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Do you guys think that Tempo Thresh would be a good choice for my meta?

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

I'm no expert on Tempo Thresh's matchups, but it's hard to go wrong with Threshold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Vincent
    Dec 2008
    Montreal

I've two questions ; What is the best deck to play in this metagame ?
    I've brought Suicide Black and Ichorid to this metagame, were they good choices ?

-Lots of threshold, mainly UWG, and sometimes black / canadian ThreshThreshThreshThreshThresh
    -A lot of NLU / Merfolk / Landstill
    -No team america, 0-1 enchantress, no MUC, 1 eva green, 0-1 the Rock, no Stax, no aggro loam, next to no combo
    -Some dragon Stompy
    -Lots of random deck.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Ichorid seems like a very valid choice in that metagame. You don't want to run Suicide Black against Canadian Thresh or other decks that dish out lots of damage fast.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

My metagame seems to consist of the following weekly:

2-3x CounterTop
    1x Ichorid
    1x Suicide Black
    1x UWr Landstill
    1x ATS
    1x G/W Aggro
    1x Stax
    1x Burn
    1x Painter Combo

And occasionally, when my wife comes, she'll bring GRB Survival.

Also there's usually someone who doesn't come often and brings something not mentioned, like we had a Goblins player with a list from 2007.

I've had success with 4c Landstill, but I've been playing some form of Landstill for 5 years. Time to play something else. I also did well with this list: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...1&postcount=39

I just don't want to play CounterTop either (at least not Coatl CounterTop.) Any suggestions?

What's a good deck to play in a metagame that you have not played in awhile and are unsure of what decks you will come across?

What decks are good if you have no clue what decks you will be up against?

I'm not sure if this belongs totally to this thread, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm running on pretty low budget and have been thinking about decent mono blue deck that could compete in my metagame. Why 1 color? I can't afford manabase for decks that run more than that right now. Why blue? I've got playsets of cards such as FoW, Standstill, Vial + different cantrips & counterspells. Also I have bunch of Merfolks.

My metagame is pretty much filled with different aggro and tribal decks along with blue based (aggro) control decks, such as Threshold, Dreadstill and Countertop variants. I also expect to see at least (might be more) one enchantress, TES and ichorid. Maybe some kind of burn will show up too.

First I thought about building MUC but then I realised that it wouldn't be very good in my meta since there is lots of aggro. Same goes for Merfolk, but on the other hand, they are both decent against those decks that run blue. Especially maindeck B2B could be the tech. But I've also thought about some kind of fish or faerie deck, but I wonder if they can be made competitive with running just one color.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions that what kind of deck I could possibly build and which wouldn't suck donkey balls in my meta. I'm not Bill Gates so my budget is pretty small, as I already said. For quickly investment I could have maybe 150 $ (we use € here, but cards are a bit expensive here than in US so the ratio is pretty much same). I could ofc borrow some cards but I'd prefer to build deck of my own and not to depend on getting cards borrowed, especially from people that live couple hundred of miles away from me.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

@Dessyregt: Tempo Thresh might be good for you? Perhaps Zoo?

@DragoFireheart: any Tier 1 deck you know you can pilot well.

@Drizzy: sounds like you really just need to play Merfolk. And you're right about Back to Basics, it's very good tech. Don't go out of your way building Faeries. And as far as I know, for a decent fish deck you need at least 3 colors.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Not Banned
    Sep 2007
    Portland, OR

Merfolk with stifles and Dreadnoughts works well. Early nought should bring in some wins against aggro.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Yeah. Except that makes it expensive again.

I could afford 'nought package but that would leave my budget a bit short from Wastelands and Mutavaults.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Wastelands and Mutavaults are much more important than the Dreadnoughts. I'd go for those. But for more Merfolk-advice I should point you towards the Merfolk thread. Also, with the increasing number of Qasali Pridemages in every meta, Phyrexian Dreadnought is more risky.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2008
    Finland

Any suggestions for my meta? Last 4 tournaments top8´s looks like this

1RGb Aggro Loam
    2Merfolk
    3UGw Threshold
    4TES
    5Red Death
    6Ur Dreadstill
    7UGr Threshold
    8GWb Rock

1Counter sliver
    2RBg Goblins
    3Agro loam
    4Domain zoo
    5Landstill
    6Baseruption
    7Merfolk
    8Deadguy ale

1Mono-R Goblin
    2Deadguy Ale
    3Deadguy Ale
    4UR Fish
    5Red Death
    6RW Goblin
    7Geddonstax
    8Dreadstill

1Enchantress
    2Ichorid
    3RG Goblins
    4Geddonstax
    5MonoR burn
    6Belcher
    7Mono B suicide
    8UBR dreadnought
    Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

There's alot of Aggro in your meta. Combo might be a good choice. ANT can be a monster there, it can also play around little hic-ups like Thoughtseizes, Counterbalances, Chalices or Trinispheres.

My meta is a lot of tribal decks (goblins are the worst of it and lots of elves), some type 2 + good stuff decks, Green White Astral Slide, Aggro Loam ,a crazy Krarck-Clan Ironworks deck, Death and Taxes, mono black control and crazy homebrew stuff, the hate has reached a critical mass for My beloved Burn deck and isn't far off for My Ichorid deck. Any suggestions for another deck for this sort of meta?
    Team Face Palm

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by davidboan View Post
    My meta is a lot of tribal decks (goblins are the worst of it and lots of elves), some type 2 + good stuff decks, Green White Astral Slide, Aggro Loam ,a crazy Krarck-Clan Ironworks deck, Death and Taxes, mono black control and crazy homebrew stuff, the hate has reached a critical mass for My beloved Burn deck and isn't far off for My Ichorid deck. Any suggestions for another deck for this sort of meta?
    Play Landstill. Or even better play combo.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by davidboan View Post
    An off-the-wall idea could be a black deck of your choice with 2-4 maindeck Plagues. Tribal decks are obvious; Slide loses Witness (and DoJ Soldiers if you have a spare one); KCI is hosed if it uses the Myr Incubator kill; D&T is quite unhappy about Plagued Humans either.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Thread Information