Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Re: Punishing Maverick or Punishing Jund

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    Sounds like Aggro Loam could get you going. It definitely got the juice to get going against the field. To the very least, it is exactly between Junk and Maverick ;-)
    Infect and DnT are certainly interesting MU's. PFire will be very helpful here.
    Miracles is a nice match-up, and folds to Chalice @ 1, as does Grixis.
    Also Aggro Loam has access to the hatebears to battle combo, Ethersworn Canonist, Containment Priest, Thalia, Gaddock Teeg.
    And on top of that, it runs its own combo with Knight of the Reliquary into DD/Stage.
    The sideboard is highly tunable for your meta, since it has access to 4 colors it can get the best of all the colors.
    What you think about abzan stoneblade?

Isnt Aggro Loam the "meta version" of both Jund and Maverik?
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Jan 2015
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3boy316 View Post
    To be honest, i consider myself very bad when it comes to boarding with shardless.

Of the top my head....
    In: 2 golgari charm, vclique, puthing needle, grafdiggers cage, 2 pernicious deed, fow
    Out: 2 hymm, 2 AV, 2 baleful.

Dont quote me on this im going on pure memory as i was testing my options yesterday. I will say Pdeed is great, dont know why more people run

As someone who plays Miracles, I fear Shardless BUG more than Maverick or Jund. I also think Shardless BUG is in general a better BGx deck than the other two. I would work on getting better with that deck (sideboarding, match-ups, etc) rather than trying to switch over to a whole new deck.

With that said, my preference would be Maverick if you're dead set on switching. I think you have a better match-up against the general field. Maverick is awesome against combo (teeg can sometimes give you free wins game one against ANT) and has game against the fair decks, whereas Jund usually just loses to combo but has a better game against fair decks.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

To be honest, i consider myself very bad when it comes to boarding with shardless.

Of the top my head....
    In: 2 golgari charm, vclique, puthing needle, grafdiggers cage, 2 pernicious deed, fow
    Out: 2 hymm, 2 AV, 2 baleful.

Dont quote me on this im going on pure memory as i was testing my options yesterday. I will say Pdeed is great, dont know why more people run
    Cutting Vision against Miracles is almost certianly wrong. You win by running them out of answers (or, much less frequently, by brutally smashing them with Tarmogoyfs if they stumble) and killing with whatever you have left, and Vision is the best way to keep gas in the tank. I don't think Cage pulls its weight in that matchup, eiher. I think you just need more practice with Shardless, as it's quite well positioned right now.

That being said, 4c Loam is probably where you want to be if you're torn between Maverick and Jund and aren't feeling the blue apects of Shardless. Its better against Miracles, Lands, and ANT, while being slightly worse against Eldrazi, TES and Sneak and Show and comparably good against Delver and other fair blue decks. It's way worse against Belcher. Neither is particularly strong against Reanimator.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Cutting Vision against Miracles is almost certianly wrong. You win by running them out of answers (or, much less frequently, by brutally smashing them with Tarmogoyfs if they stumble) and killing with whatever you have left, and Vision is the best way to keep gas in the tank. I don't think Cage pulls its weight in that matchup, eiher. I think you just need more practice with Shardless, as it's quite well positioned right now.

That being said, 4c Loam is probably where you want to be if you're torn between Maverick and Jund and aren't feeling the blue apects of Shardless. Its better against Miracles, Lands, and ANT, while being slightly worse against Eldrazi, TES and Sneak and Show and comparably good against Delver and other fair blue decks. It's way worse against Belcher. Neither is particularly strong against Reanimator.
    Yeah, my boarding plan with Shardless vs Miracles always involves trimming a couple of cards here and there (-2 Baleful Strix, -2 Thoughtseize) and adding more impactful cards (1 Pithing Needle, 1 Null Rod, 1 Sylvan Library, 1 Vendilion Clique). If you don't play Thoughtseize you can trim the 1 Toxic Deluge and maybe an Ancestral (not more than 1 though) or the 3rd Hymn (it is good vs Miracles but you don't really want to draw them in the lategame when they are hellbent).

You could also make an argument for cutting a Deathrite Shaman or Tarmogoyf, but I haven't been a fan of this recently.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Isnt Aggro Loam the "meta version" of both Jund and Maverik?
    More or less, depending on how well one knows how to pilot the deck. This deck has a pretty nice game on most of the field and is very flexible.

I find the deck a pretty solid choice, especially in the current Eldrazi era. The deck reminds me of MTG of yore. Very neutral choice in an unknown meta. But in playstyle a little bit to linear for my taste. Coming from mainly Survival of the Fittest i tend to choose decks with a toolbox/combo'ish playstyle, hence, Maverick, Aggro Loam, NicFit.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Here's the thread for that deck. BTW, it's known as Junk or The Rock. You could probably call it Dark Maverick and get away with it, but calling it Abzan Stoneblade is a total noob move: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Deck-The-Rock

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Here's the thread for that deck. BTW, it's known as Junk or The Rock. You could probably call it Dark Maverick and get away with it, but calling it Abzan Stoneblade is a total noob move: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Deck-The-Rock
    Lol sorry.....back in my day "the rock" was spirit monger, im just going off this list

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=99984

Punishing maverick sorta faded away when miracles was introduced. Jund is more consistent than Aggro Loam though.

Aggro loam has better answers for certain matchups but it suffers from inconsistent draws (mox diamond acc. into few threats, no life from loam when u need it)

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Picking up NO RUG, though I'm struggling to find a 75 I like. Daze feels weak (but it's in Reid Duke's list so I can't immediately discount it), and I want to fit in scavenging ooze or trygon predator (maybe both?). Suggestions on countermagic and any tweaks to this 75 would be nice

3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Ponder
    3 Daze
    3 Vendilion Clique
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Force of Will
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Natural Order
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Scalding Tarn
    4 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Taiga
    1 Island
    1 Forest
    1 Progenitus
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Chain Lightning
    SB: 1 Bonfire of the Damned
    SB: 1 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Pyroblast
    SB: 2 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Sylvan Library
    SB: 2 Kitchen Finks
    SB: 2 Grim Lavamancer
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

Considering picking up ANT to play at a shop with the following decks:

Grixis Delver
    Maverick
    Show and Tell
    Lands
    Eldrazi Stompy

I was playing Miracles for a while but it didn't fare too well. Any suggestions, or should I be playing something else entirely?

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    Punishing maverick sorta faded away when miracles was introduced.
    A common myth. It was the printing of deathrite shaman that really did Kotr in. If it was just miracles, then Maverick would still be around and just have a bad match up.

Hi all. New to the forum and just getting into Legacy, so looking to brush up a bit. Can anyone help by letting me know if there is a big ol' chart or something out there that cross references the MUs? What is good v what etc.? Rough percentages (as accurate as they ever can be!).

I have been settled on RUG delver for some months now, but I am considering my options for other decks and just wanted a bit more format knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by iceagedisenchant View Post
    Hi all. New to the forum and just getting into Legacy, so looking to brush up a bit. Can anyone help by letting me know if there is a big ol' chart or something out there that cross references the MUs? What is good v what etc.? Rough percentages (as accurate as they ever can be!).

I have been settled on RUG delver for some months now, but I am considering my options for other decks and just wanted a bit more format knowledge.

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, Iceagedisenchant. I can't think of any singular chart that plots out matchup percentages. Legacy is quite broad, after all. You might leaf through the Established Decks and the Decks to Beat sections. Many of the opening posts for each deck lists good and bad matchups, sometimes with approximate win/loss percentages. Feel free to probe for updated data by asking people for impressions of a matchup, although sometimes you'll receive conflicting opinions on which deck is favored. You'll also want to spend some quality time in the RUG Delver/Canadian Threshold thread: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Tempo-Thresh)

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of expecting that answer, but it is good to get it confirmed. Cheers again.

Hello, I wonder what to play in my metagame for fnms. My community usually plays : miracles/MUD without Eldrazi cards/Storm/sneak and show x3/random delver (grixis or 4c delver) and one last player switching between storm/elves.
    If I play Delver, I usually get crushed by MUD and Miracles whatever the sb cards . If I play Miracles, I get crushed every time by MUD or storm and when I play Shardless, I almost always lose to Sneak and Show/storm or elves .
    I have the pool to play Shardless, any Delver deck and any miracles deck without moat. Which deck would you suggest and why?
    Thanks for the help.

I'm looking to buy into a non blue, oh those duals , tier 1 or 2 deck to go along with my BR Reanimator. I currently have a bayou, 3 Badlands, playset of Windswept Heath, Bloodstained Mire and Wooded Foothills to work with, and a budget of $1000 ish. Here's my current meta.

Meta:
    Sneak and Show
    Burn
    Shardless BUG
    Eldrazi and Taxes
    Miracles x2
    Infect
    Lands
    U/R Delver
    Enchantress
    Grixis Delver
    Tin Fins
    B/R Reanimator
    Belcher
    Turbo Depths
    Mono Red Sneak

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Ok I haven't played any Legacy in like 6 months, and not seriously since about this time last year. GP Denver is coming up this weekend and I'm not sure what to play. I've got a bunch of staples hanging around as long as they aren't from the last few sets. Usually I lean towards big dumb aggro decks. Past successes have come from Junk, Zoo, Maverick, BW D&T, and I'll always have a soft spot for old school Jund Aggro Loam and of course TinFins, although I've never done that well with either at a large event. Winning isn't really a big deal as long as I'm having fun with the deck, but this is going to be at a shitty hotel near the airport with nothing interesting nearby, so I'd like to at least be semi-competitive. I'm wondering if there are some spicy brews floating around that I don't know about?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Oct 2013
    Berlin

I'm attending a 1K this weekend, expected meta would be BUG, Lands, Loam, DD, Miracles, Derpdrazi.

My weapons of choice are

Grixis Delver
    Bug Delver (Stifle / Hymn version)
    LED Dredge
    UB Reanimator

Any suggestion on something spicy?
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Hello everyone, I quite new to playing legacy even though I've been watching the format for quite some time now, currently I've played Led-dredge in local tounaments a couple of time but my metagame is filled with deathrite shaman and surgical extraction so it is not a good metagame call ^^, Anyway i'd like to build a new deck that would be budget at first to be able to play but upgradable to something more powerful in the long run . My metagame is composed of a lot of Miracles and BUG variants (from delver to True name/leovold and more control-ish types) there is also some burn, Storm and grixis delver.

Thanks for your advices !

Thread Information