Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

Nov 2006
    London

Re: What Should I Play In My Metagame?

I have a big tourney this weekend. My meta is pretty varied with a few CounterTop, Dreadstill, 1-2 Eva Green, Dragon Stompy, Sea Stompy, ANT, Belcher (sometimes...), Geddon Stax, Merfolk, Elves Combo, 1-2 LED Ichorid, Zoo, DnT, and probably others I haven't seen yet.

I have three completed decks: Team America (with Duress/Spell Snare substituting for Thoughtseize), R/g GoyfSligh with Figures, and LED Ichorid (I'll be honest, I'm horrible with this deck). I'm most experienced playing R/g, so I'm leaning towards that. But if I can pick up some Thoughtseizes the morning of, I'm tempted to run TA.

What should I play?

Edit: I went with TA and got sacked by horrible draws, 2x Affinity, and Goyfsligh.
    Last edited by keys; 06-22-2009 at 02:00 PM.

May 2007
    Penn State

I have a tournament this weekend with a VERY diverse meta. I've been playtesting CB/top vs my friends' 'rogue' decks and have been getting taken down hard. The decks I'll likely be facing are; Monoblack Pox, Stax/w, Ichorid, Enchantress, Merfolk, Dreadstill, Meathooks (counter slivers) to name a few. I was thinking that, since I play threshold so much and do have experience with it, that Tempothresh would be a good option with a severly warped SB. This will give me more counters/removal maindeck, give me reach with burn, and still have good SB options.

My question is, what deck currently holds up best against a meta as diversifed as the one listed above? I think, with a strong board, I can probably take down most of these decks in 3 games, but what deck has the best G1 to give me the best shot? Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Sage

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

I think goblins would be a good choice here. I would suggest running grip MD for stax if its super popular, otherwise, just go with a straight R/b. Given the decks you said will show up, any form of threshold will be a suicide deck, as it has a bad match against stax and pox, plus, canadian is one of the worst decks to play if you don't expect all tier 1 decks. If you have the cards for it, RGBSA sounds perfect for this metagame, as it just plain dummy slaps the hell out of random decks.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

May 2007
    Penn State

Sorry, but what exactly is RGBSA?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Red Green Black Survival Advantage.

Red Green Black Survival Advantage

May 2007
    Penn State

I watched my friend playtest that very deck against the pox deck and the pox deck was getting the better of it most times. It feels like I can either play a deck that beats pox or a deck that beats enchantress, but not both. Not sure what to do now... Thanks for the advice though =]

Nov 2006
    London

RGB Survival (as in "of the Fittest") Advantage

May 2007
    Penn State

Thanks a lot for your input guys. But, I guess I have one more question... What beats Enchantress with any consistancy? I've noticed that Enchantress has also been showing up in T8's recently, so I think this is a relevant question even for someone that doesn't play in the the warped meta I do. Reverant Silence is the only decent answer I can think of, but a resolved Replenish is an auto loss (should still be banned in my oppinion). My other idea was to run Burning Wish with a silver bullet SB to take down all these rogue decks. Thoughts?

Captain fucking Magic
    Dec 2004
    San Diego, CA

Run Serenity - my third favorite card of all time.

Cabal Therapist
    Nov 2007
    Akron, OH

What beats Enchantress with any consistancy
    Storm Combo, Ichorid, probably Merfolk. Really any fast deck that can disrupt their plan has a strong matchup against them.

It's a fantastic deck, though, and very underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

Sure as hell sounds like fun.

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

TES pretty consistently bashes Enchantress in the nuts.

To see who got shotgun on the way to GP Chicago, me and my friend played for it.
    Me using TES, him using Enchantress.

We played 25 games w/sideboard in ...
    He won 2 of them XD
    Men yet not comprehending their stick in the scheme of the prey-on-prey ballet of ending day
    My eBay Auctions (art alterations! I FIXED THE LINK) - http://shop.ebay.com/yawg07/m.html

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

False Cure is aggro enough to wreck it before it controls the game. And if it has ever controled the game at any point it can either, play one of its MD Reverent Silence or win through its eponyme card: False Cure. I think that Enchantress has basically not a single chance against this deck.

Mar 2008
    Maryland

Again, RGBSA runs the burning wish package, and you can pull off some stupid plays with it. As long as there arent too many storm decks there, that seems like the deck you should play.

This isn't exactly what this thread is for, but I've been pondering it a while and I don't quite know what to do about it.

I have an archnemesis, Ugr Dreadstill. I hate that deck. It's like Tempothresh and Countertop had a love child, and then added a turn 2 12/12 trampler. In my opinion, it's only not in DTB because not enough people play it. Problematically, my friend's best (and most commonly played) competitive deck is Dreadstill.

I have a number of reasonable legacy decks at the moment, including dredge, dragon stompy, landstill, elves?! and affinity. While some of them have better matchups against dreadstill than others, none of them have what I would call a good matchup. And considering the breadth of strategy that I (intentionally) have covered here, it seems that one of them should stick. Dreadstill has to have a weak matchup somewhere, I just can’t find it.

If you went to a tournament expecting 40 people all playing Ugr Dreadstill, what would you play?

Oct 2007
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Two words: The. Rock.

Why? Becouse having a deck with lands, Tarmogoyfs and answers to Dreadnought is good against Dreadstill.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    ..we all know that the Dutch are to Magic what Koreans are to Starcraft.

the rock takes care of blue pretty good, same w/ enchantress running main deck chokes.

if you want to beat enchantress, play 4 reverent silence in the board.
    also, elves should wreck havoc on dreadstill with 4 seal of primordium in the board and viridian zealots main.

Mar 2008
    Maryland

Im pretty sure that Dredge and dragon stompy have great MUs against dreadstill. No offense, but maybe your friend is just playing better than you. It sounds like you are trying to play too many different strategies, while your friend is just sticking with one.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    Storm Combo, Ichorid, probably Merfolk. Really any fast deck that can disrupt their plan has a strong matchup against them.

It's a fantastic deck, though, and very underrated.
    Enchantress crushes Ichorid. Ground Seal, Elephant Grass, Confinement, and Moat.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    Yeah, but The Cure has no chance against the rest of the field.

me: False Cure, Silence, Silence, attack with 14/14 Kavu
    him: StP the Kavu, gg

otoh: MD Silences are hot against that pesky Counterbalances.. ;-)
    Because you've played against this deck only on MWS. I mean it plays 4 duress + 4 thoughtseize. And what's the use for over-extending as you do?

Thread Information