Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nightmare's Broken-Ass EDH deck

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Re: Nightmare's Broken-Ass EDH deck

Mine is completely unproxied, and 100% pimped, but still dismantled. Most of the players in our group have a "Competitive" EDH deck, which can compete with Azami, and a "Casual" EDH deck. We're mostly focusing on the casual ones now, although sometimes it feels good to bust this out and look at pretty cards.

Jun 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Mine is completely unproxied, and 100% pimped, but still dismantled.
    I hate my white-boardered Timetwister in there. But Betas are even harder to come by at reasonably prizes, especially over here in Europe. I even considered to buy a collector's - just for this deck. :) It's really a pitty, but dismantling it is probably the right way... Though I'll sleeve it up again for an EDH tournament without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Most of the players in our group have a "Competitive" EDH deck, which can compete with Azami, and a "Casual" EDH deck. We're mostly focusing on the casual ones now, although sometimes it feels good to bust this out and look at pretty cards.
    Pretty the same here. Playing the competetive and really busted decks is sort of lame though - it only depends on who can masturbate faster.

I love EDH for what it is - the best casual format I ever played. And I am playing since The Dark was around. It's nice to see all the broken things that can be done under it's rules, but that's about it.

EDIT
    I just read that you did get all your cards back which were stolen out of your car. I am really happy for you!
    Last edited by Blitzbold; 10-16-2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Conan, what is best in life? - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

I was trying to compete opponents playing green elves agro or token-making deck. I was able to beat them, but sometimes they are too fast. Got some ideas how to speed-up my deck, or slow down my opponent, but most of them have limited effect.

Mostly i dont like counterspells since in many cases it says "we both discard these cards and who payed more mana is the fool". Well in green VS blue i am the fool in most cases. Playing such spell doesnt slow down only my opponent, but also me, because i wanted to play something at the end of his turn...

Just curious (since you play Voidmage prodigy) how this counterspelling helps?
    I know it is beatiful way how to kill almost any card on stack, but people are smart and they play cards in attempt to put my counterspells out my hand. I have to be smarter, but sometimes there is only choice between death from card number one or death from card number two.

I am looking for counterspells which have side effects usable in EDH or Highlander, or bit lower manacost.

For example i like Mana Drain, FOW or Foil, but i dont like plain Counterspelling for 3, 4 or 5 mana.

I just think that i miss something important while playing counterspells.

Jun 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post

I am looking for counterspells which have side effects usable in EDH or Highlander, or bit lower manacost.

For example i like Mana Drain, FOW or Foil, but i dont like plain Counterspelling for 3, 4 or 5 mana.

I just think that i miss something important while playing counterspells.
    Other counterspells I do like in EDH:

2cc
    Remand
    Hindering Light (obv. not mono-U)

3cc
    Hinder
    Forbid

4cc
    Rewind
    Dismiss
    Mystic Snake (see Hindering Light)

5cc
    Desertion
    Conan, what is best in life? - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

Sep 2009

Well. I tried to figure out what can blue do with such spells... At most i like effects which manipulate time (or game progress if to say it more technically).

For example...
    From this point of view the Counterspell will steal from opponent mana which was already paid, and will kill card which is being played.

Hinder, when you place the countered card on top of his library will also cost your opponent his draw step, althought his card will not be "killed".

Effects such as Mana Drain are from my point of view Holy Grail of Counterspelling, while they slow down my opponent and accelerate my own play.

But some plain counterspells, does not accelerate my play or does not slow down opponent. It also varies in some situations (a really hate reanimators :D)

Am i on good way (if not right...)?

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Well. I tried to figure out what can blue do with such spells... At most i like effects which manipulate time (or game progress if to say it more technically).

For example...
    From this point of view the Counterspell will steal from opponent mana which was already paid, and will kill card which is being played.

Hinder, when you place the countered card on top of his library will also cost your opponent his draw step, althought his card will not be "killed".

Effects such as Mana Drain are from my point of view Holy Grail of Counterspelling, while they slow down my opponent and accelerate my own play.

But some plain counterspells, does not accelerate my play or does not slow down opponent. It also varies in some situations (a really hate reanimators :D)

Am i on good way (if not right...)?
    you shouldnt need more counters if the deck isnt fast enough you arent doing it right. and you have 3+ counters plus bounce, that should be plenty of time to go nuts.

Sep 2009

Thanks. I think i got the point of problem - i have to re-check my counterspells to found those which can work bit effectively in way of stealing time. Amount of spells is OK, but the quality is not the best...

The point of Hinder is to put someone's general on the bottom of their library., not the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Sep 2009

Well it depends... My common enemy is one nasty reanimator. Bottom of his library is the best way how to put something away, or to use Dissipate. Both cards are awesome in same way.

But i had in deck also Trickbind. I used it commonly to supress activity of a Planeswalker, or Token generator. Just few minutes ago i replaced it with Memory Lapse. The effect to both cards is just the same, but also it allows me to use it in different situation just to steal opponents turn if he just played something big for too much mana :)

Thats the beauty of "put on top of deck" effect instead of pure countering :)

Well it depends... My common enemy is one nasty reanimator. Bottom of his library is the best way how to put something away, or to use Dissipate. Both cards are awesome in same way.

But i had in deck also Trickbind. I used it commonly to supress activity of a Planeswalker, or Token generator. Just few minutes ago i replaced it with Memory Lapse. The effect to both cards is just the same, but also it allows me to use it in different situation just to steal opponents turn if he just played something big for too much mana :)

Thats the beauty of "put on top of deck" effect instead of pure countering :)
    Yes, I already know that. You said,
    and I was explaining why you would basically never use "top of the deck" when casting Hinder. This had nothing to do with top of deck vs. graveyard, only top vs. bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Sep 2009

I think this it bit offtopic. I understand, but i really can imagine situations when i want my opponent rather to play that card again, than draw the next card.

For example when somebody is using Liliana for tutoring - use the top. This might give me extra turn for my own combo...

More blue spells are haunted by "what if?" question. Thats i like on blue cards :)

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

I've been toying with Everflowing Chalice, but I'm not sure if there's any value here.
    Also, what about Intruder Alarm? Plus Cloudstone Curio... Over kill or not really necessary?
    I'm also running Bribery for a few laughs. Also Telemin Performance is also fun and tends to thin the opponent's deck a little, (and mine is foil, which is a major consideration in this deck for me :).

Is inspired sprite realy that good in the deck ? I mean there are only about 20 wizards so 1 out of 5 cards...

Question about the way to play the deck : u play Azami the turn u launch the combo ? or as soon as u can, with maybe a counter in hand (i mean in 1vs 1 match) ?
    And how do u get infinit mana to mull your opponent with braingeyser or stroke of genius ? (just with turnabout and sigil ?)
    Is the combo charbelcher/Mana sevrance that useful in the deck or is it played because the cards are a little useful on their own ?
    Same for mind's desire : when do u use it ? Only when u have tydespout tyrant in play ?

What about a card like parallel thoughts, ethereal usher, ertai,wizard adept, intruder alarm and more recently lighthouse chronologist, echo mage and temple bell (in combo wit MOM)..?
    Thx
    Last edited by Sanctyfer; 09-11-2010 at 12:43 PM.

I want to build a version of this myself, although I'm trying to go budget-ish (pretty much no 60+ unless it's force of will or crypt) but I was thinking that the new Laboratory Maniac would be a hilarious win-con. You just need to put MoM on the board with Azami. Profit?

Apr 2008
    Hayden, AL

I am going to be playing Snapcastor Mage when it's legal in my Azami deck, you should too.
    Team Shit Sandwich; smelling bad so you don't have to.

What are you playing from Innistrad and what is going out? I'm know snapcaster has to find a home, what about Delver of Secrets?

i was thinking about build an azami deck but i cant seem to find very much Updated chat about her, has she fallen from power with recent expansions? either way if anyone could provide an UPDATED (innistrad) competitive (money no object) deck list for her id very much appreciate it.

I'm still looking for some updated info about this deck and a very very cutthroat multiplayer list for it. If anyone can shed some light on this deck for me given recent expansions like innistrad and soon to be dark ascension i would be very grateful

Thread Information