Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
There is a big difference between "losing because you didn't see a HT" and "winning with having difficulty to see a HT"

I played 4 CW for a long time and this is definitely a consideration.
Now CMC 3 is a lot more than CMC 1 and I hate opening hands that contains 2+ CW.

Not finding HT will happen. Do as your guts are telling you.

SB is flexible so to speak.

But you need at least a few cards to deal with pesky permanents:
- mass anti artifact to get you out of prison strategies
- mass anti creature to get you out of Thalia + MoM + Prelate/Canonist (for example)
- Bunch of free spells to be king of the stack
- 2 BF (1 Coming in, the second one to be tutored)
- 1 BSZ to deck your opponent when it matters (deck with Emrakul effect or when you need to win on the spot)
- X anti grave strategies.

Anti grave sideboard cards are too narrow to my taste and hinder your other MUs by a fair margin when you invest too many slots to it. I prefer hedging something else and I'm ready to give up the dredge MU.
Others grave decks usually can be beaten on the stack so to speak.

For sideboard tables, when you don't know what to do, follow the first advice (1 HT 1 Reset 1 Meditate out, +1 BF and +2 other "spot" cards). Almost always leave mass effect in the sideboard for tutoring purposes.

Then you'll need to test and test again in order to determine what other cards can be switched in/out.

For example, against tempo decks, trimming a few or most of your Remand was a popular choice in the past.
Cutting higher CMC cards for lower ones might also be a path to take

Against fair decks, you can question the need of 4 FOW in your deck...

Against Control deck you may trim a fetch or an island to increase your number of business cards...

Etc.

Anyway my words are "no gold". Play hundreds of games and come up with your own conclusion.
Just remember if you don't know how to board in G2. Just stay as you are. A well oiled machine will always be better than a kinky board and you will always be able to board better in G3 after seeing opposite countermeasures.

My two cents.

Ralf

PS: avoid tweakening the list before at least a hundred games. Losing 5 times in a row against a certain deck doesn't mean the list is bad again this archetype. You may end up winning the next 10 games.
This deck requires experience above all.
That's all great advice. I've been jamming games, and I've got a couple more questions.

1) Remand seems pretty decent against tempo actually, as you can Remand your spell in response to a Force/other hard counter magic. Do we want to cut Remand as it takes a lot of mana to cast a spell, Remand it, and cast again? Furthermore, I feel like vs fast or tempo decks, we want to cut an island, as we don't have the time we need to set up more than 4-5 lands in play and/or want more business spells. On the other hand, vs control, I both want to keep at 19 lands and go down to 18 as we want business spells, but we also want to build up a fair amount of lands. If we can do this on 1 less island, why are we running 19 in the first place?

2) Do we still want that Snap in the SB, if we are on the no Snappy list? I can see why its nice as its a free/mana generating out to problematic creatures, but I'm not sure if something like another Echoing Truth or a Chain of Vapor is better. And unless you wish for it, only having 1 seems a little... inconsequential to board in.