Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203
Results 4,041 to 4,042 of 4042

Thread: [Deck] Solidarity

May 2013
    Paris, France

Re: [Deck] Solidarity

Quote Originally Posted by dataspot View Post
    Ralf,

I've always liked Accumulated Knowledge in Solidarity. It cantrips early when you're looking for lands and keeps the combo going later on, drawing lots of cards. It's not as good as Meditate at being flashed back with Mission Briefing or Snapcaster Mage, but it still seems solid and costs 1 less. Impulse is better when you're looking for specific cards but AK is better when you want to get multiple cards.

I just don't know where you would fit it in the deck, since you want to have all 4.
    AK is a very fine card in a vacuum but as you said the pb lies within "how to fit it in".

There are two very distinct periods in any Solidarity games:

1) the first period is sculpting your hand and making land drops
    2) the second one is the combo turn

- During phase 1 (which can be long or short), Impulse seems to be better (not saying "is" better because it's my point of view) at finding what you need; be it lands or combo pieces. The more that setup phase lasts the less impulse is better than AK in a vacuum, ofc.

- During phase 2 (the combo turn), Meditate seems to be better (blablaba) at empowering your combo wheels. My rational would definitely check the mana spent per card drawn. Meditate wins hand down easily, not to mention the need of finding multiple AK just to match Meditate's effect.

To conclude, I would say that to make AK good enough for Solidarity, I feel you need to wrap your deck around it (intuition for example) and that is not a path I would take.

But, as usual, this is only from a theorical point of view and only tests will tell whether I am right or wrong.

Ralf

Re: [Deck] Solidarity

Quote Originally Posted by dataspot View Post
    Ralf,

I've always liked Accumulated Knowledge in Solidarity. It cantrips early when you're looking for lands and keeps the combo going later on, drawing lots of cards. It's not as good as Meditate at being flashed back with Mission Briefing or Snapcaster Mage, but it still seems solid and costs 1 less. Impulse is better when you're looking for specific cards but AK is better when you want to get multiple cards.

I just don't know where you would fit it in the deck, since you want to have all 4.
    Accumulated knowledge could be good, but i think for draw power, i'd rather have meditate. It requires less setup, and is a known quantity (as in i'll always draw 4, instead of possibly 2-3). I had one test version that did 4 thought scour and 4 accumulated knowledge with flash of insight. It was, i think quite a lot of work actually combo-ing out, as stacking the deck requires not just counting mana, but counting how deep each AK/thought scour draws into the next mana, wish, draw. You can cobble together AK+TS as a 3 mana (2 card) dig 2 and draw 3+ cards (and milling 2 unnecessary lands/an AK) with flash of insight, so that's pretty cool. But i think for the sake of my sanity, it was way too much work for not enough payoff (as in i needed to storm up to like 6+, mill myself about 20+ cards, then flash FoI to stack my deck perfectly, then continue, hopefully having milled, and not exiled my AKs just to get myself up to enough storm to BF my opponent).
    Also, if this is your way forward, you might wanna look at visions of beyond. I hear that ancestral recall is pretty good. That being said, it is probably a trap. for me, it's a win-more almost every time it's been relevant (i.e. if i have that many cards in my graveyard, i've already won... unless if I'm playing the mirror), and completely irrelevant (worse than even peek and opt) before you get there.

Three wishes, on the other hand, is a card i'm now experimenting with. 3 mana 'draw' 3:
    1. allows me to have more 'pure-draw-spells' in the 75 (everything else in the deck is just card selection, not draw, which can be problematic in tempo games)
    2. doesn't 'draw' (gets around leovold, notion thief, whatever that 2-drop in DnT is called)
    3. says 'play cards'; so lands are still playable
    4. doesn't skip my next turn (relevant especially against some aggro/counter-tempo/fast stompy decks)
    5. against players who haven't seen this yet, it's great watching them 'play around' it, and essentially giving me a time walk.

Basically, i'm working out the cost-benefit of meditate/three wishes + 4 flusterstorm in the 75 instead of my current meditate only + 2 FS + 3 disrupt. Currently testing 3 meditate/2 three wishes, 3 FS, 4FoW main, 1/1 and 1 FS on the side.
    In testing, disrupt has been great against counter-aggro decks, since it draws me back 1 card (so they drain their hand, mine's still pretty intact). Problem is that i can't disrupt dudes (sometimes, a delver/ just needs to go), and it's VERY limited to early-game. also, not being able to afford a skipped turn (untap and land-drop) is kinda bad against aggro decks. Being able to field 3 flusterstorm main has been quite good. it hits more things, and the best is that it's still active under a chalice. I've also seen a few builds that use spell pierce, but considering how easy it is for us to build a gigantic stack just for fun, i think flusterstorm is simply better.
    Against non-aggro/quick decks, being able to FS random cards here and there is brilliant (sometimes, i gotta impulse/wish just to pump storm a bit). each one especially early game is like a time walk, especially if I'm keeping their clock on near-0.
    Three wishes makes me have to re-assess how i play though, which isn't very good, and it does draw me 1 less than meditate which IS relevant. So the question i've been wrangling with is whether or not its use pre-combo is better than the cost mid-combo.

Another extremely 'cute' card tech is dominate (x1uu instant, gain control of target creature with cmc x or less). Ever face-down dark depths/lands that had a quick marit lage? Or hell even a scarily big endless one? it's quite good, actually. you don't even need to properly 'go off' - wish dominate a death's shadow, or even a goyf just to delay the game (or swing back for the win). I'm not sure if it's actually effective enough/does enough against problematic matchups though. That way, you can even 'store' them in your graveyard just to go off again with mission briefing/SCM.

Anyways, recent tests says that jace brainstorm is the best way to kill JTMS decks. gives that smug PW something to really think about.

Thread Information