Page 205 of 207 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207 LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,100 of 4123

Thread: [Deck] Solidarity

Re: [Deck] Solidarity

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    There is a big difference between "losing because you didn't see a HT" and "winning with having difficulty to see a HT"

I played 4 CW for a long time and this is definitely a consideration.
    Now CMC 3 is a lot more than CMC 1 and I hate opening hands that contains 2+ CW.

Not finding HT will happen. Do as your guts are telling you.

SB is flexible so to speak.

But you need at least a few cards to deal with pesky permanents:
    - mass anti artifact to get you out of prison strategies
    - mass anti creature to get you out of Thalia + MoM + Prelate/Canonist (for example)
    - Bunch of free spells to be king of the stack
    - 2 BF (1 Coming in, the second one to be tutored)
    - 1 BSZ to deck your opponent when it matters (deck with Emrakul effect or when you need to win on the spot)
    - X anti grave strategies.

Anti grave sideboard cards are too narrow to my taste and hinder your other MUs by a fair margin when you invest too many slots to it. I prefer hedging something else and I'm ready to give up the dredge MU.
    Others grave decks usually can be beaten on the stack so to speak.

For sideboard tables, when you don't know what to do, follow the first advice (1 HT 1 Reset 1 Meditate out, +1 BF and +2 other "spot" cards). Almost always leave mass effect in the sideboard for tutoring purposes.

Then you'll need to test and test again in order to determine what other cards can be switched in/out.

For example, against tempo decks, trimming a few or most of your Remand was a popular choice in the past.
    Cutting higher CMC cards for lower ones might also be a path to take

Against fair decks, you can question the need of 4 FOW in your deck...

Against Control deck you may trim a fetch or an island to increase your number of business cards...

Etc.

Anyway my words are "no gold". Play hundreds of games and come up with your own conclusion.
    Just remember if you don't know how to board in G2. Just stay as you are. A well oiled machine will always be better than a kinky board and you will always be able to board better in G3 after seeing opposite countermeasures.

My two cents.

Ralf

PS: avoid tweakening the list before at least a hundred games. Losing 5 times in a row against a certain deck doesn't mean the list is bad again this archetype. You may end up winning the next 10 games.
    This deck requires experience above all.
    That's all great advice. I've been jamming games, and I've got a couple more questions.

1) Remand seems pretty decent against tempo actually, as you can Remand your spell in response to a Force/other hard counter magic. Do we want to cut Remand as it takes a lot of mana to cast a spell, Remand it, and cast again? Furthermore, I feel like vs fast or tempo decks, we want to cut an island, as we don't have the time we need to set up more than 4-5 lands in play and/or want more business spells. On the other hand, vs control, I both want to keep at 19 lands and go down to 18 as we want business spells, but we also want to build up a fair amount of lands. If we can do this on 1 less island, why are we running 19 in the first place?

2) Do we still want that Snap in the SB, if we are on the no Snappy list? I can see why its nice as its a free/mana generating out to problematic creatures, but I'm not sure if something like another Echoing Truth or a Chain of Vapor is better. And unless you wish for it, only having 1 seems a little... inconsequential to board in.

1. To me, that doesn’t sound great at all. Tempo is trying to spend all their mana to disrupt us and put a clock on. 2-mana counter to bounce our spell from disruption feeds their game plan. And spending 2 mana to delay their clock is ok, but I suspect it’s too much. A good way to think about it is, they have a delver in play, doing its beats. You’re on say 11 life, and you draw a remand. Is that good or bad?
    All they wanna do is protect their delver at all costs, and if they see an opening, drop another threat. Is remand good against that would you say?

The snap i tend to think of as being like a charm. It’s more flexible, having multiple effects stapled together, but overall as a card, it’s weaker. It’s by no means bad tho, but I’d wager you’re more likely to wish for a ’real’ bounce spell or a real untap card. Not one that half-heartedly does a bit of both. If you run SCM, that might be different.

I’ve started to mess about with the reversal, mission briefing builds, dropping the flash of insights. It’s good fun, but I never feel that ‘safe’ with it, cuz it’s up to chance what I end up drawing when going off. Needs more testing I think.

In terms of grave hate, I have a 1-of ravenous trap and 1 surgical as a wish target. It’s not very good, but I’ve used it against emrakuls before too. SCM could be good too as bridge hate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    1. To me, that doesn’t sound great at all. Tempo is trying to spend all their mana to disrupt us and put a clock on. 2-mana counter to bounce our spell from disruption feeds their game plan. And spending 2 mana to delay their clock is ok, but I suspect it’s too much. A good way to think about it is, they have a delver in play, doing its beats. You’re on say 11 life, and you draw a remand. Is that good or bad?
    All they wanna do is protect their delver at all costs, and if they see an opening, drop another threat. Is remand good against that would you say?

The snap i tend to think of as being like a charm. It’s more flexible, having multiple effects stapled together, but overall as a card, it’s weaker. It’s by no means bad tho, but I’d wager you’re more likely to wish for a ’real’ bounce spell or a real untap card. Not one that half-heartedly does a bit of both. If you run SCM, that might be different.

I’ve started to mess about with the reversal, mission briefing builds, dropping the flash of insights. It’s good fun, but I never feel that ‘safe’ with it, cuz it’s up to chance what I end up drawing when going off. Needs more testing I think.

In terms of grave hate, I have a 1-of ravenous trap and 1 surgical as a wish target. It’s not very good, but I’ve used it against emrakuls before too. SCM could be good too as bridge hate.

That makes sense. I had a feeling the reasoning was going to be something like that, it just felt weird to cut interaction vs a Tempo deck.

What are your thoughts about when to cut an Island? Vs fast decks I feel like we don’t have the time to build up a large mana base, and vs slower decks we want more interaction spells, so I don’t know if 19 is the right number of islands and that we should be cutting one in specific match ups, or if we should be simply running 18, or if we should hardly ever cut an island.

Reversal has felt great in testing, it’s hardly ever been a dead card and the extra interaction has been great. Furthermore, it really pushes that “mastery of the stack” aspect of the deck, as it lets you “move around” instants and sorceries on the stack while buying them back to your hand. For example, if you cast a spell that they try to counter, and you go off in response to the counter, a Narsets Reversal down the road let’s you resolve that spell while putting it back into your hand, giving you more fuel and ignoring the counter at the same time. You say that Reversal builds rely more on chance while going off, and while that is true, Reversal can let you buyback card draw or untap spells to continue your combo. So, reversal can be used to further the combo instead of just interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Excile2127 View Post
    That makes sense. I had a feeling the reasoning was going to be something like that, it just felt weird to cut interaction vs a Tempo deck.

What are your thoughts about when to cut an Island? Vs fast decks I feel like we don’t have the time to build up a large mana base, and vs slower decks we want more interaction spells, so I don’t know if 19 is the right number of islands and that we should be cutting one in specific match ups, or if we should be simply running 18, or if we should hardly ever cut an island.

Reversal has felt great in testing, it’s hardly ever been a dead card and the extra interaction has been great. Furthermore, it really pushes that “mastery of the stack” aspect of the deck, as it lets you “move around” instants and sorceries on the stack while buying them back to your hand. For example, if you cast a spell that they try to counter, and you go off in response to the counter, a Narsets Reversal down the road let’s you resolve that spell while putting it back into your hand, giving you more fuel and ignoring the counter at the same time. You say that Reversal builds rely more on chance while going off, and while that is true, Reversal can let you buyback card draw or untap spells to continue your combo. So, reversal can be used to further the combo instead of just interaction.
    I like reversal, though I’m not sure how many I should be playing. So far, I’ve got 2, and have been alright with it.

The one card that I think you might wanna look at is unsubstantiate. It’s like a remand, except you don’t draw, but it can counter uncounterable stuff, AND can bounce a guy. Beat a eidolon without needing to waste a wish. Especially if you’re not going to go SCM+snap, having main board bounce can be good, especially if you end up being unable to counter a prelate or eidolon or canonist.

Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

I like reversal, though I’m not sure how many I should be playing. So far, I’ve got 2, and have been alright with it.

The one card that I think you might wanna look at is unsubstantiate. It’s like a remand, except you don’t draw, but it can counter uncounterable stuff, AND can bounce a guy. Beat a eidolon without needing to waste a wish. Especially if you’re not going to go SCM+snap, having main board bounce can be good, especially if you end up being unable to counter a prelate or eidolon or canonist.

We talked about this on the discord, but I'll summarize for the people here:

I think Unsub is definitely worth a spot in the deck over a number of Remands if we aren't playing Snap + Snappy MD. However, I think it shouldn't replace Remand *entirely*. Its nice to have an out, but despite how having the ability to bounce a creature or uncounterable spell is good, Remand is much better early in the game when you are sculpting your hand, and the card draw really helps when you Mission Briefing something to the top of your deck. Therefore, I think a 1/2 split of Unsub/Remand is beneficial. It also helps vs naming effects, like Cabal Therapy and Surgical Extraction. Thoughts?

On another note, what is our plan vs Nars3t and T3feri? Thankfully, we have enough mana to Remand them most times, but both cards have INSANE value vs us if they ever land. Narset shuts down our ability to search through our deck, and T3feri both kills our ability to fight on and manipulate the stack while also killing all of our Resets. Do these cards warrant any changes to the deck? Does anybody have any outs besides Remand/FoW or Wishing for a bounce spell?

EDIT: I have comboed through a Narset vs Miracles, but even though I had a killer hand, it was still extremely difficult. I ended up fighting through counters, producing a lot of mana, using the 1 draw on their turn to draw a Wish after surveiling it to the top of the deck with Briefing, wishing for and casting bounce, and then chaining Meditates until I had enough storm. However, I can't see how we can possibly combo off vs a Miracle player with a T3feri in play. If they have even a single counter, they can stop us from bouncing him. I think we either need an uncounterable answer to T3feri, or we need to fight him on the stack before he resolves.

EDIT 2: Hex Parasite is a janky answer to PWs that we can deploy t1, and have it sit there until we need it. However, that both doesn't fit the theme of Solidarity and takes up too many SB slots. I think its time for the return of Wipe Away. This is a clean answer to T3feri that will definitely resolve. Also, its 3 mana, which is a good CMC for Counterbalance as well. Thoughts?

May 2013
    Paris, France

We talked about this on the discord, but I'll summarize for the people here:

I think Unsub is definitely worth a spot in the deck over a number of Remands if we aren't playing Snap + Snappy MD. However, I think it shouldn't replace Remand *entirely*. Its nice to have an out, but despite how having the ability to bounce a creature or uncounterable spell is good, Remand is much better early in the game when you are sculpting your hand, and the card draw really helps when you Mission Briefing something to the top of your deck. Therefore, I think a 1/2 split of Unsub/Remand is beneficial. It also helps vs naming effects, like Cabal Therapy and Surgical Extraction. Thoughts?

On another note, what is our plan vs Nars3t and T3feri? Thankfully, we have enough mana to Remand them most times, but both cards have INSANE value vs us if they ever land. Narset shuts down our ability to search through our deck, and T3feri both kills our ability to fight on and manipulate the stack while also killing all of our Resets. Do these cards warrant any changes to the deck? Does anybody have any outs besides Remand/FoW or Wishing for a bounce spell?

EDIT: I have comboed through a Narset vs Miracles, but even though I had a killer hand, it was still extremely difficult. I ended up fighting through counters, producing a lot of mana, using the 1 draw on their turn to draw a Wish after surveiling it to the top of the deck with Briefing, wishing for and casting bounce, and then chaining Meditates until I had enough storm. However, I can't see how we can possibly combo off vs a Miracle player with a T3feri in play. If they have even a single counter, they can stop us from bouncing him. I think we either need an uncounterable answer to T3feri, or we need to fight him on the stack before he resolves.

EDIT 2: Hex Parasite is a janky answer to PWs that we can deploy t1, and have it sit there until we need it. However, that both doesn't fit the theme of Solidarity and takes up too many SB slots. I think its time for the return of Wipe Away. This is a clean answer to T3feri that will definitely resolve. Also, its 3 mana, which is a good CMC for Counterbalance as well. Thoughts?

Both are a pain but both cost 3 mana meaning either your opponent is going for it (full tap on T3) or he elects to play it "protected" and might wait til T4 or 5.
    If they wait, you should in a position where you can just go off in response to it (T4 or T5).

Even with a wipe away in the board, resolving your CW will be almost impossible (except if you CW with the PW on the stack but it means you have 3 mana in play as well).

Anyway if you really think you need a wipe away in the board it can easily replace the "Snap" slot.

I ended up cutting Wipe away when CB got nerfed.

I truly believe there is no other way than fighting on the stack (meta wise). Your SB should be tuned towards that end at the moment. Winning the stack war is, I believe, what will get you there.
    When REB, Pyro, Fluster are flying all over the place, Mindbreak trap is a powerhouse.

NB: MDT doesn't counter. It exiles and I caught off guard a few players.

Ofc you will be in a sad position when facing Cavern of Souls' deck but through all my testing, those decks are definitely beatable with just a mass bounce played at the key turn.

Miracle is a hell of a matchup. Really skill intensive. It is better since TOP is banned and that there is no more CB x4.
    There is no easy matchup to be honest and the fact that you managed winning facing a Narset does prove only one thing: you still can win...
    A resolved Teferi is "gameover" though. If I am in G1, I wouldn't lose time (and info) and go straight to G2. I'm here to win a match.

My two cents.

Ralf

May 2013
    Paris, France

Usual stock list played 18 lands.
    I chose to play 19 (my curve is also slightly higher).

With 18 lands, you have
    - 7 % to have no land in your opening hand
    - 24.5 % to have just 1 land

-> it means you have a 31,5 % odd to not have 2 lands in your opening hand

With 19 lands you have:
    - 5.80 % to have no land
    - 22.1 % to only have 1

-> it means you have a 27,8 % odd to not have 2 lands in your opening hand

That hedge might be small but considering we play 12 cantrips which 4 are CMC 2 (Impulse), I prefer putting all my chances to get there even if another business spell would increase a bit my chances not to fizzle during the combo turn.
    Otherwise, it also hedges a bit vs chalice deck when sometimes you cannot FOW a chalice@1 on T1 (shutting down 8 cantrips and hindering your land drops by the same occasion...)

I usually snap keep hands with 2+ lands and shave most of the one landers...

This is only based on my personal experience. I'm no one to say that I'm right or wrong.
    I've just lost too many games because I missed f.cking land drops.

But by nature, we tend to only remember games lost when we flooded...but at least I had a chance to combo !!!

But if you keep track of your games, maybe, you'll draw the same conclusion ^^.

My approach is different from yours:

1) VS Tempo: I don't want to dig for lands. I want to assemble the combo piece I need to make a quick attempt (T4 or T5).They will usually put you under pressure (Delver T1 for example). So I have to naturally "draw" lands.

2) VS Control: the game is going to take forever. So not only you will have more lands in play than vs Tempo but you can dig for lands if you want. Expect some "draw" go.

That's why I'm suggesting to cut a land vs control.

PS: you can also take another route knowing you'll play the long game. Cut 2+ High tide / 1+ Reset / 1+ opt / 1 Meditate + your usual suspects -> you'll take longer to assemble your combo but you will have plenty to fight on the stack (and less dead cards against a resolved CB). A resolved Meditate is what will get you there against Miracle most of the time.
    You side in Flusters / MBTs /1 BF /1 BSZ
    Last edited by Ralf; 07-19-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Usual stock list played 18 lands.
    I chose to play 19 (my curve is also slightly higher).

With 18 lands, you have
    - 7 % to have no land in your opening hand
    - 24.5 % to have just 1 land

-> it means you have a 31,5 % odd to not have 2 lands in your opening hand

With 19 lands you have:
    - 5.80 % to have no land
    - 22.1 % to only have 1

-> it means you have a 27,8 % odd to not have 2 lands in your opening hand

That hedge might be small but considering we play 12 cantrips which 4 are CMC 2 (Impulse), I prefer putting all my chances to get there even if another business spell would increase a bit my chances not to fizzle during the combo turn.
    Otherwise, it also hedges a bit vs chalice deck when sometimes you cannot FOW a chalice@1 on T1 (shutting down 8 cantrips and hindering your land drops by the same occasion...)

I usually snap keep hands with 2+ lands and shave most of the one landers...

This is only based on my personal experience. I'm no one to say that I'm right or wrong.
    I've just lost too many games because I missed f.cking land drops.

But by nature, we tend to only remember games lost when we flooded...but at least I had a chance to combo !!!

But if you keep track of your games, maybe, you'll draw the same conclusion ^^.

My approach is different from yours:

1) VS Tempo: I don't want to dig for lands. I want to assemble the combo piece I need to make a quick attempt (T4 or T5).They will usually put you under pressure (Delver T1 for example). So I have to naturally "draw" lands.

2) VS Control: the game is going to take forever. So not only you will have more lands in play than vs Tempo but you can dig for lands if you want. Expect some "draw" go.

That's why I'm suggesting to cut a land vs control.

PS: you can also take another route knowing you'll play the long game. Cut 2+ High tide / 1+ Reset / 1+ opt / 1 Meditate + your usual suspects -> you'll take longer to assemble your combo but you will have plenty to fight on the stack (and less dead cards against a resolved CB). A resolved Meditate is what will get you there against Miracle most of the time.
    You side in Flusters / MBTs /1 BF /1 BSZ
    Thanks Ralf! All of this is great advice, I appreciate you showing me the ropes.

Registration for the league I'm in ends in like an hour, and I'm submitting your list with the Reversals with a couple of tweaks.

4 Brainstorm
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Force of Will
    4 High Tide
    4 Impulse
    11 Island
    4 Meditate
    4 Mission Briefing
    2 Misty Rainforest
    3 Narset's Reversal
    4 Opt
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Remand
    4 Reset
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Unsubstantiate

1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    2 Brain Freeze
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Engulf the Shore
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Negation
    3 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Rebuild
    1 Turnabout
    1 Wipe Away

First tweak I made was evening out the fetches. This league is purely open list, so I'm not surprising anyone with those Flooded Strands.

Second tweak I made was switching those Turnabouts into Mission Briefings. Briefing and Turnabout both fill the same role, a slightly more expensive Reset with fringe upsides. I like Briefing more in this build as I was missing the amount of recursion I had with the Snapcasters, and it really smooths out my pre-combo and combo turns. You said you wanted Reversal over Snappy as you didn't really use snappy prior to the combo turn, but Briefing can be used T3+ as an expensive but highly filtering cantrip if you reuse an Opt or BS with it.

Lastly in the main deck, since I don't have Snap anymore, I turned 2 Remands into 2 Unsubstantiates. This change felt the most natural, as the card draw from Remand is great, but having outs to resolved creatures without having to wish for them is great too.

In the sideboard, I turned the Pact of Negation into a Force of Negation, as Pact only felt worth it to side in vs high-counterspell decks, as you only can use it in the lategame or on the turn you are comboing off. Force fills a similar role at a higher cost, but can be hardcast and used before the combo turn. Additionally, Snap was replaced by Wipe Away for dealing with Narsets, DnT boards with Mom, and other scenarios when something HAS to go, but I have to fight through permission.

Did I do anything really bad? The only changes I'm unsure about were the Turnabouts into Briefings, and the Snap into Wipe Away. Everything else felt like almost all upside, and little downside.

[Deck] Solidarity

Turnabouts has at least 1 major advantage that reset/briefing doesn’t; tapping down attackers for lethal, tapping down opposing lands to combo smoothly.

Just so you know.

But I think it looks good. I’m a big fan of unsubstantiate

May 2013
    Paris, France

You should be good !!!

Keep us posted.

I'll edit this message in a bit to add a few other comments.

Edit

I like what you did and here are a few thoughts:

1) 4 Mission will improve your odds during the combo turn. It will even make for the CA loss of 2 remands for 2 unsubstantiate. You should reach almost 99 % odds not to fizzle with 4 lands in play.
    2) However it makes your deck more dependant on your graveyard. Mission is better than Snap as it doesn't target but still you might be a bit more affected by grave hate postboard.
    3) Cutting Turnabout will decrease your entire curve which is a good thing.
    4) Turnabout is everything Schweinefettmann said but also it is a "mean" to launch the combo DURING your turn. I like having this opportunity. I guess you still have it through Wish. But this is to be considered.
    5) Fetch split is whatever you want even if bluffing being on Miracle can work sometimes (i.e: your oppo might hesitate to overextend fearing a terminus). In a league where everyone knows what you are playing, bluff wouldn't work.

Thank you for your inputs as I will definitely test the changes you made on my side.

Turnabouts has at least 1 major advantage that reset/briefing doesn’t; tapping down attackers for lethal, tapping down opposing lands to combo smoothly.

Just so you know.

But I think it looks good. I’m a big fan of unsubstantiate

You should be good !!!

Keep us posted.

I'll edit this message in a bit to add a few other comments.

Edit

I like what you did and here are a few thoughts:

1) 4 Mission will improve your odds during the combo turn. It will even make for the CA loss of 2 remands for 2 unsubstantiate. You should reach almost 99 % odds not to fizzle with 4 lands in play.
    2) However it makes your deck more dependant on your graveyard. Mission is better than Snap as it doesn't target but still you might be a bit more affected by grave hate postboard.
    3) Cutting Turnabout will decrease your entire curve which is a good thing.
    4) Turnabout is everything Schweinefettmann said but also it is a "mean" to launch the combo DURING your turn. I like having this opportunity. I guess you still have it through Wish. But this is to be considered.
    5) Fetch split is whatever you want even if bluffing being on Miracle can work sometimes (i.e: your oppo might hesitate to overextend fearing a terminus). In a league where everyone knows what you are playing, bluff wouldn't work.

Thank you for your inputs as I will definitely test the changes you made on my side.
    Thanks guys! I’m glad I didn’t make a critical mistake on the list I submitted. Tapping down lands with turnabout seems really difficult, as you would need 6 lands at the least to cast turnabout, go to next phase, cast HT, and then cast Reset, and on top of that you would probably need more untap effects to have enough mana to combo. Additionally, I feel like it would just be an expensive counter bait. As for going off on your turn, unless you ran 3+ turnabout, or had a lot of lands, that seems really difficult. I suppose it’s possible and it’s nice to have options though. I can see where that would come in handy too, vs DnT in response to a Port activation or 2 on your upkeep. As for tapping down attacker’s, unless you had something else to do with your turn like Impulse or Opt, Turnabout just draws you a card and let’s you play a land and lets your opponent take an extra turn. Still, it could be worth it if you need just a little more time/lands to go off. I will keep you posted and write a report on each match of the league.

Thanks guys! I’m glad I didn’t make a critical mistake on the list I submitted. Tapping down lands with turnabout seems really difficult, as you would need 6 lands at the least to cast turnabout, go to next phase, cast HT, and then cast Reset, and on top of that you would probably need more untap effects to have enough mana to combo. Additionally, I feel like it would just be an expensive counter bait. As for going off on your turn, unless you ran 3+ turnabout, or had a lot of lands, that seems really difficult. I suppose it’s possible and it’s nice to have options though. I can see where that would come in handy too, vs DnT in response to a Port activation or 2 on your upkeep. As for tapping down attacker’s, unless you had something else to do with your turn like Impulse or Opt, Turnabout just draws you a card and let’s you play a land and lets your opponent take an extra turn. Still, it could be worth it if you need just a little more time/lands to go off. I will keep you posted and write a report on each match of the league.
    What u mention with dnt, applies to most aggro strategies. It’s ‘just’ an extra land drop + card is exactly what I’d want when playing this deck. The longer the game goes, the higher the chances for a win for us.

It’s been something that I think is a nice and flexible card that allows us to react to the situation - but we pay for it with its higher cost.

That being said, it’s old tech, and possibly not relevant anymore. I’m just stubborn, i guess.

There’s no real right answer unfortunately. I look forward to hearing your success with the build!

What u mention with dnt, applies to most aggro strategies. It’s ‘just’ an extra land drop + card is exactly what I’d want when playing this deck. The longer the game goes, the higher the chances for a win for us.

It’s been something that I think is a nice and flexible card that allows us to react to the situation - but we pay for it with its higher cost.

That being said, it’s old tech, and possibly not relevant anymore. I’m just stubborn, i guess.

There’s no real right answer unfortunately. I look forward to hearing your success with the build!

I agree, but it does given them another turn to play disruption. I like it as a 2 of in the board in the face of grave hate as an alternative to Briefing.

I’m thinking of cutting a single Briefing to add a single Turnabout to the main, but I’ll play this league with 4 Briefing first before making any more changes. Briefing does also play well with Reversal, as it’s a lot easier to Reversal a Briefing than it is to Reversal a Turnabout.

//deck-1
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Blast Zone
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Eye of Ugin
    3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    4 Eldrazi Mimic
    2 Endbringer
    4 Endless One
    4 Matter Reshaper
    4 Reality Smasher
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Walking Ballista
    2 Dismember
    2 Warping Wail
    4 Chalice of the Void

//sideboard-1
    1 All Is Dust
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

So, this is my round 1 opponent. I practically wrote an essay on what I thought about this exact match up on the discord, but to boil it down, G1 he has a fast clock with Challice and TKS coming down early to disrupt me. If I can hold those off and make it to turn 4 with a decent hand, I should be able to win. G2 he cuts dead or slow cards, and gets Leylines (maybe, if he is smart) and Thorn of Amethyst while maintaining a fast clock. My current SB plan is to trim 2 Briefing (if Leyline), cut the Remand, and get Turnabout + both bounce spells to fight through the hate permanents. I want Force to deal with the must answer cards. Additionally, I might cut 2 Unsub or 2 more Briefings to get Rebuild and Force of Negation. I’m keeping Reversal in to combo through Challice on 1 and to combo through a Leyline shutting down my Briefings. Any thoughts on what I should be doing or be doing differently?

May 2013
    Paris, France

Hello,

A few weeks ago I got to play some magic at last !

4 swiss rounds to an unimpressive 2-2.

I registered the following list:

6 fetch
    12 island

4 Opt
    4 BS
    4 Impulse
    4 HT
    4 Reset
    4 Meditate
    4 FOW
    3 CW
    3 Remand
    3 Narset R
    2 Mission
    2 Repeal
    1 Turnabout

SB

3 Disrupt
    2 Fluster
    2 Brain Freeze
    2 Surgical
    1 Repeal
    1 Hurkyl
    1 Rebuild
    1 BSZ
    1 Turnabout
    1 Engulf the Shore

I played the following:

RG stompy -> win 2/0
    Stoneblade -> lose 2/1 (this one is on me, I should have won 2/0 but lost to my own stupidity)
    ANT -> lose 2/0 (smashed by god f.hands both games)
    Pox -> win 2/0 (didn't expect to win this to be honest)

Had some great fun. Still very hard to pilot Solidarity in a competitive environment.

Experience is what I need !

So I picked up some Commander 2019 cards (a set of Scroll of Fates for Dreadstill) and one of the cards I got was Sudden Substitution. So I am only mentioning it since it is a powerful, uncounterable, blue instant. It does something that doesn't fit into the Solidarity plan, but maybe this is what the decktype needs, a new strategic attack vector? I think at the very least it could have a place in SB. To accomodate it the obvious changes would be adding Pact of Negation and adding Snapcasters back in. It could win some matchups outright with the Pact of Negation combo, and it could also provide an out to some troublesome spells like 3Teferi and Narset (although the 4 cmc is painful). Even against opponents that can pay Pact of Negation, forcing them to tap for uu3 can set up an easy win turn.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i found this on reddit:

"So, when Sudden Substitution is resolving, your opponent can change the target of the Pact of Negation, as the card instructs. Since Sudden Substitution is still on the stack at this point, they can choose it as Pact’s new target, which will result in Pact of Negation being removed from the stack for having no legal target when it attempts to resolve.

The Split Second doesn’t prevent any of that from happening, since no spell is being cast or ability is being activated here; it’s just part of the resolution of Sudden Substitution."

never saw this card before, so dunno what's up with it.
    -rob

Well, that's too bad.

Still a decent Snapcaster target though.

So I was working on a deck for Pioneer, and I came across an interaction that busts stack wars in Solidarity ~

Once you stick this, your opponent cannot win a stack war against you, barring something weird like Dovin's Veto. It will counter EVERY spell they put on the stack.

Are you sure that’s how it works? I’m under the impression it triggers every spell, but you can only sac the enchantment once, and counter once.

Thread Information